Paint Me Like a French Girl

Office Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The lights dim and the atmosphere in the living room becomes comfortable. In my pyjamas, I make myself comfortable on the sofa. The duvet is snug over me and I’m relaxed, as if this is my own home. I spread across as if I’m Kate Winslet in Titanic, waiting for Leo DiCaprio to paint me. However, instead of someone feeding me grapes, fattening but delicious snacks are meticulously placed around me for easy reaching and eating.

 

“You’re making yourself at home.”

 

I look up at Hyejin as she sets up the projector.

 

“Surely you should know by now your home is my home.”

 

Hyejin just scoffs. We finally managed to find a day to have our film day, Hyejin’s form of apology to me (even though I had already forgotten that I was supposed to be mad at her). 

 

“What do you want to watch?” Hyejin asks.  

 

“Titanic!” I yell. I was in the mood for tragedy.

 

“Are you serious? What about La La Land?”

 

“We always watch that. I thought this was my night.”

 

Hyejin sighs in defeat and she loads up the film. Hyejin moves to the sofa and I sit up to make space for her. The film starts as we tuck under the duvet. I lie against Hyejin, who leans against the sofa arm. With the dark room and Hyejin’s warmth, I find myself start to feel sleepy. Before I know it, my head in lying in Hyejin’s lap. Her thighs are the best pillow.

 

It finally came to my favourite part, where Jack is holding Rose. Hyejin my hair, humming to Celine Dion.

 

“Jack.” I can’t help but whisper, mimicking young Kate Winslet.

 

Hyejin’s chuckle spreads through her whole body, making my head on her lap also shudder.

 

“If it was me or Miss Moon in the sea, who would you save?” she suddenly asks.

 

“Both. The door is big enough for two people.”

 

Hyejin laughs again and it’s like a jingle; it gets into my head and I can’t forget it. I don’t know where my Jack is, but I guess Hyejin is close enough.

 

Although, when my phone pings with a message notification, I realise that my Jack is a lot closer than I expect.

 

 

The restaurant is unusually quiet, especially for a weekend. Although, not many know about this place, tucked away from the main street. I hope she can safely find this place.

 

Just as I think this, the door opens and she rushes in, like a sudden gust of wind. She easily spots me as I wave towards her. It’s amazing how her eyes light up.

 

“Good evening Miss Moon.” greets Wheein.

 

“No need for that, it’s the weekend. Just call me Byulyi.”

 

She nods, sitting across me. Her short hair is slightly messy and her cheeks rosy, as if she rushed here. I can’t help but smile that someone would hurry to see me. It’s a change to the usual casual fling.

 

“I hope it wasn’t too sudden and I’m sorry this isn’t much.” I say.

 

Wheein furiously shakes her head. She really is adorable.

 

“That’s a relief. I’m glad you found this place easily. The gopchang here is amazing.”

 

Wheein stares at me with wonder, as if I said something special.

 

“I love gopchang!” Wheein suddenly, and loudly, announces.

 

I can’t help but laugh at her sudden outburst. I’ve never met someone as free as her. Maybe because she’s younger, or just with a more cheerful disposition, but I feel better when I’m with Wheein. Perhaps that’s the reason why she was the second person I thought of when I wanted to have dinner. Unfortunately, she isn’t first. I don’t think I could put someone else before her.

 

“I’m glad. I wasn’t sure if this was enough to show my gratitude for what you did for me that night.”

 

“No this is plenty!”  

 

Soon, we order food and we… talk. I don’t think I’ve talked so much, about nothing and everything. Even though we don’t discuss anything deep, I feel like I know Wheein much more than before. About work, about our hobbies, about our hometowns. I’ve allowed someone to know more about me, which doesn’t happen. Usually I’m closed off from personal questions, but I found myself divulging to Wheein that I had lived in Bucheon before moving to Seoul, I have two sisters, and that my mum has a laidback personality.

 

“I think my mum would like you.” I say to Wheein.

 

She makes a sound of disbelief. “Really?”

 

“I think you have a similar personality to her. Cheerful and re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter