Breathe

Office Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I don’t have a fear of small or tight places, but I feel claustrophobic as I set up the computer and the projector in the small meeting room. My upper lip quivers and my right eye twitches. After a week of preparation, the meeting is in just 30 minutes. It’s so nerve-wracking that my hands are sweating and even my scalp feels damp.

 

The door opens and my heart jumps. It’s only Miss Moon. It makes it even worse. 

 

“Is everything okay?” Miss Moon asks, flashing me her signature grin.

 

I just nervously laugh. “I’m fine, just trying to set up the projector.”

 

Then, somehow, I knock the damn contraption over and the resulting loud noise makes me cringe.

 

“Let me help you.”

 

However, before she steps towards me, I hold out my hand in a stop sign. “I want to do it myself. If I don’t learn now, I won’t be able to do it.”

 

Even if I’m crazy nervous, I’m determined. I think Miss Moon likes my response because she nods and signals a thumbs-up.

 

“I’ll be back.” Miss Moon says and steps out for a moment. I wonder if she knows she makes me agitated. 

 

with no one watching, I finally set up the equipment and give it a test run. To my contentment, the presentation runs well without any glitches. Miss Moon soon returns, with two coffees in her hand and comes next to me. Unlike all the other times, her presence doesn’t make me nervous. In fact, she calms me down. She hands me the coffee and I thank her. Even though it’s a black Americano, it tastes strangely sweet, and I like it.

 

“Nervous?”

 

I nod in total agreement. Miss Moon laughs gently.

 

“I’ve done many presentations and I still get nervous for each one.”

 

“Really?” It takes me by surprise. Miss Moon seems so confident and cool in everything she does, I couldn’t imagine her anxious at all.

 

“Definitely. I’m actually scared of a lot of things.”

 

“No way.” I retort. “You’re so cool Miss Moon I could never imagine that.”

 

She looks at me, her eyes wide. I said something without thinking again. I blush immediately.

 

“I mean-” I stutter.

 

Suddenly, Miss Moon laughs. “You’re really cute Wheein.”

 

I didn’t realise it could be possible, but my cheeks burn even more.

 

“Do I really seem cool?” Miss Moon asks, her hand striking a pose under her cool smile, I can pratically see the glint of her shining teeth, like an corny anime character.  .

 

I can’t help but giggle at her joke. It’s not that funny, but Miss Moon somehow makes it amusing.

 

Suddenly, there’s a knock in the door that breaks the mood. My stomach jumps into my throat and I can’t swallow. It’s time. Miss Moon pats my shoulder and gives it a reassuring squeeze. I wish she could hold me all the time.

 

“Don’t worry you’ll be fine. Just take a deep breath before you start and it’ll be easier.”

 

Miss Moon goes to open the door, allowing the rest of the team to enter. Hani sends me a questioning look, but I ignore it. The team settles and I stand at the front. My heart is pounding so hard I can’t believe it. Someone dims the light and all focus is on me. I’m frozen in place. However, at the end of the table, Miss Moon smiles and gives me two thumbs up. Taking Miss Moon’s advice, I take a deep breath in and I slowly exhale. My body feels lighter, less tense. I actually feel a lot better.

 

As a result, if I had to say so myself, the presentation goes well.

 

The team politely claps as I draw to an end. The lights come on, slightly dazing me, but I'm just glad it went well without any hitches. 

 

“That was a good summary of the end of the month.” begins Miss Moon. “What does everyone else think?”

 

The team choruses their agreement. That’s what I like about the team and Miss Moon. She allows open feedback without any backlash. Everyone offers good advice, as well as support, and useful improvement points. I hope I can stay in Miss Moon’s team forever.

 

“I thought it was pretty basic.”

 

There always has to be one spoilsport.

 

Everyone, including me, looks at Hani.

 

“I mean, it didn’t particularly highlight any solutions.” Hani explains. “And the charts were pretty mediocre. I know a much better programme that would have given it a cleaner appearance.”

 

The team looks to me, waiting for my reply.

 

“An interesting opinion.” I respond, biting my tongue. “I’ll take that on board for my next presentation.”

 

“An excellent idea.” Miss Moon says, attempting to break the tension. “We can take it as a learning curve. Let’s give Miss Jung another round of applause, who did well despite it being her first presentation.”

 

The good vibes return as the team give me a final clap. Then, the team packs and goes back into the main office. There;s work to do and there’s still half the day left. Time goes on and people's lives continue, even if you're stuck in one place. 

 

“I thought it was a good presentation Wheein.”

 

I turn to look at Kang Seulgi, the assistant manager of the department. It’s one of the few times we’ve spoken, but she always offers to help me whenever Miss Moon isn’t around. She’s also quite young, but accomplished. Plus, a be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter