Dangerous Heights

Office Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Once again, I’m alone on Miss Kim’s office floor. It is one of the top floors of the skyrise building. It’s like I’m on top of the world. However, I am not that. I’m weighed down with the endless amount of work. Anchored by the reality that I am not privileged. I have to work hard to just be average.

 

As expected, I’m doing overtime. It’s Friday night and I’m determined to finish all my work so I can have a free weekend. Just a couple days to heal my mind and soul. Maybe I’ll call Hyejin to hang out. I need a good alcohol session to forget this awful week.

 

Suddenly, the lift pings it’s arrival. I look up, confused. I wonder who it could be cause Miss Kim and Namjoo have long since gone home. Plus, the cleaners don’t normally arrive until 9pm, when most workers had definitely left. With wide eyes, I watch the figure approach me. It’s the last person I expect.

 

“Wheein, let’s go.” Miss Moon says.

 

She says it with such ease, as if I still don’t haven’t got a spreadsheet full of data I need to analyse.

 

“I’m sorry Miss Moon but-”

 

“It’s Byulyi. We’re out of hours now.”

 

Normally I would laugh at Miss Moon’s antics, but I’m not in the mood. She’s already seen me cry today, and now she knows I’m not performing. I can’t imagine how this day can get any worse. It seems Miss Moon senses my hesitation because she pulls Namjoo’s chair from her desk and rolls it next to me.  

 

“Let me help you.”

 

“I can’t possible ask you to do that.” I retort. “You should go home. I’m sure you have better places to be than here at work on a Friday night.” 2

 

“I don’t.” Miss Moon answers and her gaze makes me think she means more with those two words.

 

However, I’m sure she doesn’t mean anymore than that. Miss Moon is just helpful manager, aiding her junior. With her input, I know I could probably finish my work in half the time. I’m lucky to have Miss Moon so close, leaning next to me, the arm rests close enough that the fabric of my blouse touches hers. If I wasn’t so stressed, I would savour the moment more. Memorise the way her eyebrows knitted together with concentration. Burn the way her fingers grazed mine when she reached for the computer mouse.

 

Yet, sometimes I wish Miss Moon wouldn’t treat me so well. It makes me like her more. So much more.

 

Maybe too much.

 

Before I know it, my work is finished and Miss Moon cheers.

 

“Now we can celebrate the start of the weekend. Wheein, high-five.”

 

Miss Moon holds up her open palm and looks at me expectantly. Timidly, I gently touch her hand. However, her fingers suddenly slip through my hand and grasps it tightly. I freeze.

 

“Got you.” Miss Moon says victoriously.

 

I can only look at our connected hands. Miss Moon’s hand is warm. She holds me firmly. It triggers something.

 

It’s a grasp that I’ve felt before.

 

Her hands were over me, leaving scalding trails. However, her kiss was hotter. They burnt my lips. Yet, I didn’t stop. I desired more. I wanted to be on fire because I knew she would save me. She would quell that burning feeling I had coming from inside my body.

 

However, I’m frightened. I’m overwhelmed. Yet, when she looked at me, it’s like we’re the only ones in the world. Time froze and only our hearts moved. She held my hand, tight and reassuring. No matter what, she would protect me.

 

Then, she kissed me again. And again. And again.

 

I feel like my cheeks are on fire. My lips tingle. It’s all a blur yet it was too real to be a dream.

 

However, I don’t have time to comprehend the traces of my memories. Miss Moon is practically dragging me out of my seat.

 

“Now, let’s go.” she hurries.

 

“Where are we going?” I ask, quickly gathering my things.

 

“To dinner. I’m starving.”

 

Just as quick as Miss Moon has swept over my life, I forget everything. Miss Moon still continues to hold my hand. I want to keep holding it for the rest of the night. If poss

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter