Delicious Addictions

Office Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There’s a moment when you come to realise you have an addiction. It’s a slow gradual build from being a hobby, to becoming a necessity. Sometimes you don’t even realise it yourself, until someone picks up on it. Even then it’s hard to admit because addictions are for weak people, those who can’t resist temptation.

 

I certainly don’t have one. Although, I have noticed I’ve been staring at Miss Moon’s desk a lot. Every hour I like to take a glance at her direction, just to see how she’s doing, nothing else. Maybe I do become a bit anxious when I don’t see her, and maybe I like to start my day by greeting her first. However, who doesn’t when it comes to someone you admire. I wouldn’t call it an addiction. I can live without seeing Miss Moon every day. Sure, I do get lonely over the weekend, when I think about her. Of course, if I could choose, I would like to know more about Miss Moon, what she does outside of work, but I’m not crazy. I’ve only thought about following Miss Moon briefly, just to see what she did after work. I’ve never acted on it. I don’t plan to. Not without a legitimate reason.

 

All of a sudden, someone grabs the back of my neck. I push my shoulders up and whine, like a kitten being picked up by the scruff of its neck.

 

“You’re staring again.” says Hyejin.

 

She lets go and I relax. “I was not.” I protest.

 

“You were. And I bet you’re going to keep checking Miss Moon out. You’re obsessed.”

 

“I am not.” I deny. “I’m just curious.”

 

Ever since I’ve heard all the rumours about Miss Moon, I’ve observed her. Watched how she interacted with colleagues, especially female ones. Checked if there were any hints of her uality. However, there were none. She acts just as professional as she appears.

 

“So, you coming to lunch?” Hyejin asks.

 

“I’ll meet up with you later. I want to finish this spreadsheet first. I’m on a roll.”

 

Hyejin shrugs. “I’ll meet you there then. Don’t push yourself too hard.”

 

I smile. Hyejin always looks out for me.

 

The office becomes quite as people head to lunch. It usually gets like this around this time. It’s quite nice being the only one. Although I enjoy company, sometimes solitude is just as pleasant. I can hear my own thoughts clearly.

 

I become so focussed on my work, I lose track of time. The sound of my rumbling stomach is what makes me realise I’ve been working on the spreadsheet for 30 minutes. By the time I head down to the staff canteen and order my food, I’ll only have around 15 minutes to eat. I sigh. Eating time is my favourite as well.

 

Suddenly, a selection of pastry bread is placed in front of me. I know who it’s from. Hyejin is my hero.

 

However, the grin on my face freezes when I see who is standing next to me. Miss Moon stares down at me with her usual kind smile and I feel my legs turn to jelly. Thank goodness I’m sitting down.

 

“I noticed you stayed behind at lunch and I didn’t see you downstairs, so I figured you must have stayed here. I assume you haven’t eat yet.”

 

All Miss Moon’s words were going into me and I was understanding them, but my brain wasn’t communicating to my mouth to speak. I had answers, like a normal person, but my lips wouldn’t open.

 

“I didn’t know what flavour you liked so I got multiple.”

 

This time my mouth managed to flap open, but no words would come out. I think I’m going to explode and die.

 

“Take your time and eat them. And don’t over-work yourself.” Miss Moon says, just as she’s walking to the coffee room.

 

Oh god. This is your chance. Just say something. Anything. Come on Jung Wheein!

 

“I like red bean!”

 

Okay, you didn’t have to say that.

 

My face must be red because I feel like all the blood has rushed up to my head. I can’t believe I just cried that out. Thank goodness no one else is in the office, especially Hani or Hyejin. Both would have ridiculed me.

 

However, it seems to have caught Miss Moon’s attention because she stops. Although she’s surprised at first, as expected, she beams.

 

“Me too.”

 

All is right with the world and God is good because Miss Moon and I have something in common. My heart beats again as I watch her disappear. I don’t follow her because that would just be too eager. Instead, I bathe in the afterglow of my success and savour the pastries that Miss Moon bought me, each bite more delicious than the last. I’ll also keep one in my drawer, just in case.

 

Hyejin comes to my desk later and I notice she also has some bought pastries in her hand.

 

“You didn’t come down for lunch so I thought you might not have eaten yet.” Hyejin sees the empty wrappers on my desk. “Although looks like you had a feast for one.”

 

The smile on my face must have been massive because Hyejin raises her brow.

 

“You’ll never guess who bought me lunch.” I giggle.

 

I in before Hyejin can even answer.

 

“Miss Moon!”

 

Hyejin again is interrupted. However, this time not by me.

 

“Miss Moon bought you lunch?” exclaims Hani.

 

We both look at her who seems just as surprised by her outburst.

 

“I mean, that’s nice.” Hani corrects. “I’ve never seen Miss Moon buy anyone lunch.”

 

This makes me even more happier. Maybe I might not be the first person that Miss Moon has ever bought lunch for, but I am one of the few. That is enough to make me feel special.

 

“Whatever.” Hyejin says, unexpectedly curt. Is she that irritated that I left her at lunch? Though, I should have messaged her.

 

“Anyway, you can have this for later.”

 

Hyejin gives me a pastry and then quickly goes to her department before I can even say thanks. I check it and see it’s a red bean chocolate baguette. My favourite.

 

 

There’s no one left in the office. I bid the last person good evening at least 15 minutes ago. It should be safe now. Although I should have gone home with everyone else, I want to say goodnight. Just that, nothing more.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter