I'm Coming Out

Office Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

As I stare at the desktop monitor, I’m not even taking in the spreadsheets or the figures. All morning I’ve been distracted. I can only think about the weekend.

 

                I lightly sipped at the latte, while Miss Moon watched me.

 

“Is there something on my face?” I asked.

 

Miss Moon simply shook her head and gently smiled at me.

 

“I just like watching you.”

 

I blushed deeply.

 

Ever since we left the restaurant, Miss Moon had been slightly quiet. Perhaps it was from seeing Miss Kim and Mr Nam. Maybe it wasn’t just me that felt awkward.

 

“Were you always like this Miss Moon?” I dared to ask. 

 

“Byulyi.” Miss Moon corrected. “And no. It might be hard to believe, but when I was younger, I was very shy.”

 

I couldn’t imagine that.

 

“What about you Wheein? Did you always want to work in an office?”

 

I shook my head. Absolutely not.

 

“I wanted to be an artist. I even studied traditional art in university. However, after a year of not finding a job after graduating, I realised that drawing should be a hobby rather than a career.”

 

“That’s a shame.”

 

“It’s reality.”

 

A reality I learnt the hard way.

 

I had entered university on a scholarship. It was a scholarship that only one student in every prefecture could receive. In my school, all the people around me said that I was the best artist, made the most beautiful art piece, could go the distance if I wanted to. My art teachers wrote the best reference statement. I entered my application after everyone told me I could do it.

 

After enduring dozens of forms and interviews, I was granted the once in a lifetime opportunity. However, no one told me, once I entered university, I would be among the best.

 

When I drew a piece, someone else would interpret it a completely different way, which my narrow mind couldn’t even comprehend in the first place. When I entered a competition, I wouldn’t even place in the top tenth. I barely could hand in work on time because I would redo it over and over, until I was completely satisfied. And even then, I wouldn’t achieve the grade I had expected because someone else would always be better.  

 

I thought I was exceptional. Everyone thought I would amount to something.

 

I realised, I wasn’t special.

 

When you put all your efforts towards something, it’s really a spectacular thing. If you get it. However, it’s so disappointing when after all that blood, sweat and tears, you don’t get it. Maybe, it’s not better not taking that opportunity in the first place, if you have to go through all that hardship.

 

In the end, is it even worth it?

 

Miss Moon stared at me thoughtfully.

 

“Maybe you don’t need to accept that reality. In the world, there’s different choices that lead to many paths. It’s all about timing. When one story ends, another begins, with a different conclusion. Perhaps an opportunity isn’t here for you right now, but it will come around. And when it does, you just need to take the chance.”

 

I felt my heart thump. Loudly and proudly, as if knocking on my ribcage to say it’s here. My heart wanted me to listen to it.

 

However, I was scared. If I reached out, taking the chance, would it be worth the risk of losing everything?

 

                At lunch, Hyejin sits next to me, as usual. I quietly eat my lunch she must have noticed my change in behaviour.

 

“What’s wrong?” she asks.

 

“Nothing.” I reply, although barely convincing myself.

 

“Did something happen when you met Miss Moon?”

 

I almost tell Hyejin who we met that night, and what me and Miss Moon spoke about, but instead I answer differently. I don’t t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter