Chapter 6

Mischievous Ghost

Chapter 6

(Present)...

Good morning Mom!

Morning Yalun! (Gui Gui greeted me. I was surprised that she’s there preparing the table)

“Where’s mom?” (I asked puzzled. My mom owns a boutique now and I usually drop her off there since it was on the way to my office)

“Auntie went to the store already. He left with Uncle” (My dad manages a car shop now; Uncle invested there and after a few years gave my dad 50 % ownership)

“You woke up early. Still not adjusted to the time? Don’t you have a jetlag?”

“Aiyo, you’re asking too many questions. I’m not tired at all. Let’s have breakfast”

“Where’s Uncle?”

“I don’t want to go with him; I wanted to go to the office with you.”

“Are you really working?”

“Of course! I need to watch you closely”

“What?”

“I told you last night. I’ll find somebody you’ll marry. Hmm, I actually found her. That’s me” (She said smiling to me)

“Gui…”

“Hurry up. We’re going to be late”

(I sigh. I wanted to discuss what happened four years ago but it looks like she doesn’t want to. She’s avoiding that topic ever since we made up)
***

“Gui Gui, welcome back!” (Where walking at the lobby when we saw Calvin)

“Calvin. It’s great to see you.”

“When did you arrive?”

“Last night.”

“And you’re here with Aaron now. No jetlag? Nothing’s change at all. You stick to him just like before”

“I’ve missed him so much that I need to see him everyday now that I’m here” (Gui Gui hold on to my left right arm and smiled)

“You look like honeymooners. I’m envious.”

“Really? Oh. I’m going to invite you to our wedding”

“You’re getting married? (Calvin looks at me) You’re really secretive”

(I hit him with the folder on my left hand) Go to work! (I gently guide Gui Gui to the elevator) Go to Uncle. I have a meeting in 30 minutes”

“Calvin, let’s have lunch later” (she shouted while walking before paying attention to me) Go with me to dad. I’m sure he wanted to talk to you first” (she smiled)
***

“Good morning Sir”

“Morning dad!” (Gui Gui greeted her father casually and walk around the office) “I haven’t been here for a while. You’re room seems smaller.”

“Here are the reports I was talking about. You can take a look and see how things go while you’re gone. I got a meeting with Mr. Wang in thirty minutes but Gui Gui said you wanted to talk to me.”

“Right, I need to discuss something with you but we talk about it later, after your meeting.”

“Dad, can’t I go with Yalun? I…” (Gui Gui didn’t finish what she’s trying say, she suddenly looks pale. I instantly went to her side and guide her to sit)

“Are you alright?” (I asked worriedly)

“I’m fine.” (She said forcing a smile at me)

“I told you to have some rest. You’re too excited to go home that you can’t even sleep properly when we were in the States. You haven’t had enough rest and your body’s not adjusted yet. Go home sweetheart. I’ll call the driver to send you home.” (Uncle said and called someone on the phone
)
“But I want…” (She tried to protest but I cut her off)

“Just go home and take some rest. You’re father’s right, you’re still not adjusted”

(She sighs) Alright!

“I’ll send her out before going to the meeting. I’ll be back later Uncle.”
***

(I notice that she’s silent. She’s still a little pale.)

“Are you alright?”

“I told you I’m fine. Maybe I really lack some sleep.”

“Take plenty of sleep then. You can sleep all day today” (I suggested. Something came up in her mind. Her eyes suddenly look bright)

“Hmm…Right!”

“What?” (I asked)

“Yalun, go home early. I’ll be in charge of the dinner later. Tell Calvin we’ll have the our lunch some other day” (She said happily before hopping out of the elevator)

“Gui…! (She’s really hyper active. I hope she’ll go straight home and take a rest)
***

I went back to Uncle’s office after my meeting.

“Aaron, I need to ask you for something” (I have this feeling that it concerns Gui Gui) “Gui Gui wanted to work here temporarily. She wanted to be your secretary.”

“But I already have my secretary Sir"

“It will be just for a few months Aaron. You can keep Ms. Chen” (Uncle sigh) “I hope you can bear with Gui Gui for a while. I have hurt her badly four years ago and I know it’s been hard on you as well, taking all her anger. I just can’t refuse her this time.”

(Uncle still didn’t know what happened that night. I guess somehow he’s thinking that the sole reason Gui Gui stayed in US for so long was because he didn’t let her come with me then)

“It’s alright Uncle. But I don’t think it would be a great idea to let Ms. Chen stay in my office if Gui Gui’s going to be there” (Gui Gui’s and my secretary’s stubbornness’s a little the same. It will surely create chaos in my office) and what do you mean it’s only temporary? Is she going back to US?”

“We’ll have to see about that, you know Gui Gui. Her decisions are always shaky. Anyway, I’ll be assigning Ms. Chen to Director Chun temporarily. His secretary just resigned.”
***