Chapter 3

Mischievous Ghost

Chapter 3

Four years ago…(Gui Gui’s version)

“Dad, I want to go with Yalun” (I went to dad’s office once I heard the news about Aaron going to Europe. Aaron’s in the company now. Dad hired him right after his graduation. What really bothers me is that he’s going there with Serena. Lately they’re getting closer and I hate it. Serena came from Europe, she’s one of Mr. Smith’s staff. Mr. Smith is one of my dad’s business associate. They’ve been staying here for about two months already. They’ll be going back to Europe and dad’s sending Aaron to train there for a few months.)

“Baby, Aaron’s going to study and train”

“I’m on vacation right now, why can’t I go with Yalun?”

“Honey, it’s for the company, if you go with him you’re going to distract him”

“He’s not complaining if I’m always with him. I promise to behave. Please dad”

“Honey, I’m worried about you, you’re so dependent to Aaron. What will happen if he’s married already, you need to learn to be on your own.”

“What?” (my voice raised) “Is he and Serena together now? When did it happen? Why I don’t know about it? Yalun didn’t tell me anything. Did she seduced him?” (I asked continuously. I’ve already asked Yalun about her and he said he’s not interested in her, yet I’m not so sure if that girl seduced him)

“Calm down, baby. I’m just saying what if. Aaron will not be forever single. Sooner or later he’ll marry someone and have his own family. When that time comes he won’t have time to be with you or do things for you.”

(I fell silent. I haven’t thought about that.) “That won’t happen.” (I answered him but deep inside me I’m really worried. I’m worried that he’ll fall inlove with Serena.)

“Gui Gui…” (Dad said exasperatedly)

“I’m tired. I’m going home. Don’t stay too late dad. See you at home”
***

Dad’s question earlier keeps bugging me. I went to the garden and stare at the sky. There are few stars tonight. I sigh. What will happen if Aaron married someone else? What if he and Serena fall inlove with each other? Just thinking about it, I can’t breathe. I love him ever since I knew the meaning of that word.

“Hey, brat. What are you doing there?”

“Dad won’t let me come with you. Don’t go. Just stay…” (I plead. I can’t stand thinking he’ll be away from me even for just one day)

“Be good when I’m not around, alright. Don’t be a spoiled and stop giving Uncle a headache; he’s thinking so many things at the company already.”

“Don’t go please…please…”

“C’mon, I’m just telling you to stop acting like a child and there you go. You need to learn to be independent.
We’re not going to stay at your side forever.”

“Why can’t you just stay? Please… ” (I asked again hoping he’ll give in to my request like he usually does) You could just study here and train. I promise I won’t bother you. Just don’t go. Please.” (He kept silent for a while)

“I might not be able to come back for a very long time”

“What are you saying?” (I was taken aback. Calvin, one of his officemates, said he’ll be gone for just a few months)

“There’s an offer for me to stay there permanently. Mr. Smith wanted me to resign to the company before going. He’ll absorb me in their company.”

“How about Uncle and Auntie?”

“Mom and Dad said they’ll support whatever decision I’ll made. Uncle Ali said he’ll let me go if I wanted to go. “

“So, you’re going? I mean to stay there permanently?” (Just like that? I wanted to ask him badly. Things are happening so fast, I can’t think. How come I was so out of the picture? I suddenly felt that I was not included in his life anymore) “How about me?” (I whispered. He didn’t even bother to ask me about how I will feel if he leaves. He sounded that he already made a decision. I don’t know if he clearly heard. I look at him. He’s looking afar) “Am I not important anymore? What can I do to make you stay?”

“You know you are important to me. You’re the sister I never had and I hope you could understand me. It’s a dream working in an international company. You also have a dream of your own. You wanted to become a successful writer right?” (No! I wanted to tell him, that’s not my dream. I just randomly said it before. He’s my dream. I dream to be with him.) “I hope you could support me as well”

“No! How could I? You’re going to leave me. I can’t.” (I started crying)

“Gui Gui, I’ve already made a decision”

“Are you still going even if I tell you I’m inlove with you and I’ll die if you’re not with me?” (I asked him bravely, for a while he fell silent and then..)

“You’ve read too many romance novels already. ” (He laughs and shakes his head as if what I’ve said is so impossible) “I think you’re sleepy. Let’s go and have some rest, I'll be doing so many things tomorrow. Let’s talk about it again tomorrow, when you’re sober. I think you’re shock when you heard the news about this earlier”

“I’m not joking; I know what I’m saying. I’m inlove with you. I love you Aaron. I’ll die if you leave me” (I insisted. I felt desperate, how could I make him stay. I quickly cross the small distance between us, without further thinking I tiptoed and put my lips on his. Right at that moment, it felt like the world stop spinning. I felt his hands on my shoulders, I thought he’s going to deepened the kiss just like in the movies but he pushed me. I saw anger in his eyes.”

“Stop it, Gui Gui. Grow up, you can’t always have what you want. I’ll be flying to America three weeks from now”

“I hate you! Why can’t you believe me? I hate you” (I ran inside our house, straight to my room. I cried the whole night that night. I locked myself in my room for the next three days.)
***

“I accepted the offer to study in America Daddy” (It was an exchange student program in our school that me and my friends tried just for fun since Tong Tong wanted it badly. I was lucky to pass the examination and interview but declined after. Fortunately the one who got my slot got problems with his records. My adviser called me two days ago to asked me again if I won’t change my mind since they have no enough time to do the screening again.)

“I thought you already declined it.”

“Teacher Lee called me two days ago, Ah Ben got problems and they don’t have time to do the screening again. It would be a waste if no one could go.”

“It will be great. When will you leave?”

“Next week.”

“Next week? You’ll leave earlier than Aaron. He delayed his flight for another two weeks” (I kept silent. I haven’t seen him for days. I don’t have the courage to see him yet. He left for Japan the day I agreed to Teacher Lee to do some business transaction.)

A week later I flew to U.S. I wasn’t able to say good bye to him, he’ll be coming back tonight and I took a morning flight. After four months, I called Daddy to inform him I’ll be staying to continue my studies. It was supposed to be a five-months study. I’m transferring. , I already inquire on how I could stay and one of my teachers is helping me. They’ll inform my school and I already asked Teacher Lee to help me.

“What?”

“You said you wanted me to learn to be on my own. I’m learning to be independent and I’m enjoying it.” (I actually miss him so much and Uncle Joey and Auntie Lily and Yalun but I just can’t go home yet. I thought I’ll be alright after a few months but I’m not. Yalun’s rejection has brought me endless pain. To my confusion, Aaron’s in Taiwan and didn’t leave for Europe but I don’t want to ask anything. I don’t know why I’m so afraid to hear anything about him now. I’m focusing my attention in my studies. I avoided his call, I didn’t read his messages. I kept diverting the topic when Auntie Lily begins to tell stories about him until maybe she sensed that I don’t want to hear news about him)

“But… That’s not what I mean sweetie.”

“You can always visit me, dad.”

“Baby, if this is about Aaron…”
(No! I don’t want to hear anything about him. I’m not over yet. The pain won’t go away. For months I’m not accepting any call or messages from him.) “Got something to do Dad, I’ll call you again tomorrow. Tell Auntie and Uncle I miss them. I miss you Dad, l love you.”
***