Chapter 1

Mischievous Ghost

Chapter 1

It was a very tiring day. I really wanted to sleep once I arrived home. I was parking the car when I noticed that the lights on the next house are all open; looks like Uncle Wu would be throwing a party. It’s been years since I last saw that lively spirit in that house. My family lives on the house next door. My father has been the Wu’s family driver. I was seven when Uncle Wu took us in since we were tossed out of the apartment where we live. He was a very kind and generous man. Even now that my family’s financially stable, my parent’s won’t leave Uncle Wu’s side, I guess a deeper friendship has been developed throughout the years that we’ve been all together. We treated each other as family.

”Mom?” (I loosened my tie a bit) ” Mom?”

“Aaron, you’re here. Don’t change yet, we’ll go the other house. Gui Gui’s back, you should welcome her.”

“Gui Gui … “(it echoes on my head. How could I forget? Gui Gui, my baby, our naughty baby. I can still remember the first time I saw her.

“Is that them? Hello” (the man said to me) “your son’s so handsome and you have a beautiful wife” (the man said to my father)

“This is my wife, Lily and my son, Aaron. Lily, Aaron this is Master Wu” (my father introduced)

“Gui Gui”… (the man called the little girl playing) “come baby, look who’s here. This is Uncle Joey’s son Aaron and his mom, Auntie Lily. They’re going to live to that house, next to ours. You can play with Aaron and Auntie Lily can cook your favorite strawberry cake. Do you like that?”

The little girl with braces nodded..”Ya…Ya…” the little girl looked at his father.”

“It’s Aaron sweetheart.”

“Yalun” , she called me and hand me something from her palm.

I absentmindedly lend my hand and I shudder when she placed a worm in my hand. She giggles.

“Gui Gui! I’m sorry she’s playing at the garden earlier.”
She walked towards me, holds my hand and pulled me towards the big house.

“Looks like my Gui Gui already likes Aaron. It’s difficult raising her without her mother.”

“Don’t worry Master Wu; Lily can help looking out for Miss Gui Gui.”

Aiyo, Joey, stop calling me Master Wu already. Just call me Ali.

“Yalunnnnnnn!!!!!!!” My mind stops reminiscing when someone called me. I’m just thinking about her and there she is at the doorstep smiling at me. She excitedly runs towards me and throw herself at me, hugging me tightly. “I miss you…”she said.

“Gui Gui!” My mom called her.

“Auntie Lily!” She quickly releases me and hugs my mother. “I miss you Auntie.”

“Aw, look at you. You’ve grown a lot and so beautiful. It’s been four years. We all miss you. We’re about to go to your house, Aaron just arrived.”

“I saw Yalun parking his car, so I come over” (she answered and returns to my side and put her right arm on my left) “Did you miss me? Ah, I miss you so much my Lun Lun. Hey, you’re so quiet.”

I kept staring at her. Nothing’s change she’s still the Gui Gui I know so lively and noisy. I hit her head slightly and messed her hair. “Still calling me Yalun, you’re not a kid anymore. When did you arrive? You didn’t tell me you’re going home. I’ve missed you brat.”

“You… are… my… Yalun. Are you surprise??? Let’s go to the house, Dad and Uncle Joey’s waiting for us. I’m really hungry.”
***

“So Gui Gui, how’s your life in the US?”

“It’s been great Uncle Joey, I’ve learned many things.”

“Your dad’s always worried about you.”

(Uncle Ali looked at me) “Luckily Aaron’s here so I can visit Gui Gui frequently and I even stayed with her for the last two months. He’s been a great help in the company.”

“Dad’s such a worried freak” (Gui Gui gently complaint and gaze at her father)

“Everything’s fine in the company while you’re gone. I’ll give you the reports tomorrow” (I said to Uncle Ali)

“Aiyo, you’re also such a workaholic” (Gui Gui complain and turns to her dad)” Dad, how could you do this to Yalun? He’ll grow old easily working with you.”

“Hey, hey…Here’s the dessert, your favorite strawberry cake” (my mom interrupted from the kitchen)

“Thank you Auntie, you’re the best. I’ve missed this.”

“So, Gui Gui are you still going back?” (my dad asked her again)

(She looks at Uncle Ali before answering) “Nope, I’m getting married.”

“What???” My parents looked so shocked; Uncle Wu’s just smiling looking at her. I looked at her, she’s still eating her cake and she’s acting as if she’s announcing something so usual.

“Who’s the unfortunate guy?” I asked jokingly

She turned to me and smiled.” You…” she simply said. All of them started laughing when I nearly choked on my food.

“Hey, Hey,..” in an instant she’s at my side gently my back. “I’m just joking. You look so serious.” She returns to her seat, and then began her endless stories and my mom’s endless questions. They really did miss each other for the last four years.
We decided to have some coffee and leave the women alone to catch things up. I can still hear their happy conversation at the porch. Four years, it has been four years. I can’t help myself to reminisce the past.
***