Chapter 2

Mischievous Ghost

Chapter 2

Seven years ago…
“Yalun!”

“Hi Princess! Aaron! Your wife’s here” (Mike called me. We’re playing basketball. My friends love to tease me and Gui Gui since she’s always with me. I pass the ball to Calvin and walked towards her. She looked angry . Gui Gui and me became inseparable since my family move in. Gui Gui loves to follow me around. Since Unlce Ali’s so busy with the company, Gui Gui spent most of her time with me. I became her playmate, her brother, her bodyguard, her bestfriend. She even transferred school although we’re not classmates since I’m older than her.)

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“You didn’t wait for me. I told you this morning that I’m just going to the library after class to borrow some books.” (Gui Gui pouts)

“I’m so sorry baby, the championship’s approaching. We need to practice.”

“But you told me you’d accompany me to buy Tong Tong’s gift. Tomorrow’s her birthday.”

“Can’t Apple come with you instead? We really need to practice.”

“Aiyo, you promised me. And we’ll buy the tickets for the concert this Saturday.”

(I awkwardly scratch my head when I remember that I promised her that we’ll go watch a concert this Saturday. Mike looks at me and mouthed) “How about Rainie?”

(I have a date this Saturday. I look at Gui Gui, how could I tell her, she’ll be hysterical if I’d tell her I can’t go) “Ahm, baby…why don’t we watch a movie instead on Sunday.”

“No! You promised me” (she stomped her feet like a child)

“Baby, we really need time to practice and prepare.”

“No! How could you break your promise?” (She become teary eyed)

“Alright, alright. Such a cry baby” (I said giving in. I look at Mike, he’ll probably go to meet Rainie on Saturday in my behalf)

I sigh, I always gave in to her request maybe because I felt that it’s my responsibility since Uncle Ali requested me to look out for her or maybe …
***

“Hey… “ (Gui Gui called Aaron) “What are you doing there? Seems you’re not that happy to see me”

“How could I break your time with mom? You two really missed each other. Come give me a hug” (I instantly close her into my embrace) I miss you baby.

“I miss you to Lun Lun” (her tears fell)

“Aiyo, still a cry baby.” ( I hugged her tightly) “I thought you’ve grown taller when I saw you earlier at our doorsteps but I noticed it’s just because you’re wearing a heels. You’ve changed” (I commented)

“But of course, it’s been four years, I can’t stay 18 forever” (She said almost a whisper and release herself from my embrace. I saw a hurt look in her eyes. We both fell silent.)

“How’s Mike?” (She asked as if breaking the cold atmosphere)

(I smiled)

“What’s that smile for?”

“I’m just reminiscing earlier … I remember that time at the basketball court when you throw your tantrums at me because of the concert ticket.”

“And you don’t want to come with me because you have a date with Rainie”

(I was surprised she knew about that) “I didn’t know you knew about that.”

“I heard it from your friends at the corridor when I was looking for you.”

“No wonder you’re so angry. Mike and Rainie got married last year.”

“Really? That’s cool. How about you? You don’t have a girlfriend, do you?”

“No, I’m busy at the office. I don’t have the time to date.”

“That’s lame! Don’t worry. Now that I’m here, I’m going to find somebody you’ll marry”

“You’re talking about marriage, even at dinner. I feel strange, what’s with you?”

“Oh, nothing. I was just watching my best friend’s wedding these past few days. I got caught with it.”

“The Julia Robert’s movie? They didn’t get together in that movie? I thought you hate sad endings like that?”

“For a change” (I look at her, since she’s little she hated those kind of movies) Let’s go to our old place. I miss that.”

(I fell silent. She wanted to go to the garden, at the swing. We used to spend time there when we’re little)

“Aiyo, I forgot. That’s where you refused me” (She said before I could say anything)

“Gui..”

“Don’t worry about it. I’m not a teenager anymore, I can handle things now. Anyway, it’s getting late. See you at the office tomorrow.”

“What?”

“Oh, I forgot to tell you. I’ll be working with you starting tomorrow.”
***

“Should we tell Aaron, why you’re back?”

“I already told him at the dinner, even Uncle and Auntie Lily’s there. You even heard me dad when I announced my future wedding with him”

“I’m worried about you”

“Shouldn’t you be worried for him? (I smiled) Stop worrying Daddy, just let me be, alright? I’ll be fine. Come on take a rest. We’ll be going to the office tomorrow”

“Don’t you want to rest for a few more days?”

“And waste my time at home? No, I’d rather go there. Good night Dad, see you tomorrow” (I gently pushed him outside my door) “Love you Dad, sweet dreams”.

I can’t sleep. I kept seeing Aaron’s face. He matured but still sinfully gorgeous. It’s been four years since I saw him, talk to him face to face after that incident. After I left home, I didn’t communicate with him, for two years he kept on sending messages, gifts and cards, I on the other hand was so hurt I can’t even open his gifts and messages. I was so afraid to hear how sorry he was for not loving me the way I wanted him to love me. I was afraid to feel rejected over and over again. Just two years ago, when I’m just missing him terribly, I thought I could die if I can’t even hear his voice, I decided then to call him. And as if nothing happened, no two years had passed without hearing anything from me. He sounded so happy when he heard my voice on the line and everything seems to be back to normal.
***