Chapter 8

Mischievous Ghost

Chapter 8

I went home late that night while Gui Gui went home right after office hours. She told me she needed to do something at home. As I got out of my car I saw her in the garden, she’s in a deep thought and again I was wondering what she’s been thinking.

“It’s late”

“Yalun” she recognized my presence and gave me a faint smile. I sat beside her.

“What’s the matter?”

“Nothing”

“Gui…”

“The sky’s beautiful. There are lots of stars tonight”

“What’s eating you? C’mon. I really think we need a serious talk. You’ve been quiet lately. I’m Yalun remember? Your Yalun…you’re hiding things from me now.” (She stares at me. I hold her hand.) “I don’t like it. That feeling that you’re not telling me things. Have you not forgiven me yet? I wanted the old you back, my sweet happy baby. Just tell me what’s been bothering you? hmm?”

(She just continue staring at me as if memorizing my face. I felt it. I can see it in her eyes. She’s hurt. She’s still hurting and I don’t know how I could ever cure her pain. She trusted me, I’m her world and yet I have hurt her. It pained me more now that I can see it in her eyes. I haven’t realized how deep I have hurt her until now. Now that I can see her) “Gui…I’m sorry. I’m really really sorry for what happened before. If only I could turn back the time. I would.”

“Don’t cry” (she said wiping my tears away. I haven’t realized I was crying) “It was a long time ago and I have forgiven you. I know you’re just thinking about me and I’m thankful. I have learned so many things for the last four years. I’ve done things I couldn’t even imagine doing when I was here, when you are shading me”

“But you’re still hurting. I know.”

“No, I’m not. I’m no longer hurt for what happened. I can understand you; I can understand why you did that. Daddy told me what he asked you to do when we were in the States. I understand both of you; I just know you both love me too much. If you haven’t said all those things I will never ever leave you and I would have never learned. I can do so many things now on my own” (She smiled at me, a real smile this time) “I’m just thinking things over. I’m remembering things so I can finally move on, for the past four years; I’ve been avoiding to talk about it. I was so afraid to look back on what had happened and try so hard to forget it. But now, I want to remember it and I want to remember those happy memories I have and those beautiful things that happened because of that incident”

(So uncle already told her, I would never tell her about that. She really did mature a lot and I’m so proud of her) “Thank you baby and I’m so proud of you”

“So stop sulking already. Stop being a paranoid” (I smiled at her. I feel at ease at last. Now that she’s telling me what’s she’s thinking) “Should we make a truce?”

“What truce?”

“We’ll forget that. Alright? I know you didn’t mean it the way it turned out before and I was young, saying some stupid things” (Is she telling me she’s not really inlove with as she was saying before? But I can feel it) “I know it makes you uncomfortable, me telling everybody we’re getting married. I was just being a brat again. I’m sorry about that, guess I just wanted to see your reaction, what would you do. I know your being a big brother again, letting me do my way. You’re always like that”

“Alright, we’ll just let be. I just wanted you here; I really miss the way you were, the way we were before. Thank you for understanding me”

“Ah, I’ve seen Serena earlier before me and dad left the office. You still like her?”

“She’s just paying me a visit. I haven’t seen her for a while. I hope you didn’t glare at her. (I teased)

(She laughs) “I really can’t believe I was so childish before. I guess you haven’t had a serious girlfriend because of me”

(I laugh with her. It’s a good thing we can talk with ease now) “Now, you know”

“Guilty of charge. I was so possessive of you back then, why won’t I? I got everything I wanted without doing much when I’m with you. You’re just like a genie.”

“And I thought I was superman” (I laugh more)

“Maybe you’re superman for her”

“Who?”

“Serena”

“Oh, please…she’s getting married already. Hmm, you’re still jealous about her?”

“Really? I thought she likes you and that you like her. It’s a pity; I decided to befriend her”

“You two can still be friends, don’t worry”

“Do have someone right now?”

“If I told I do? Will you promise to be friendly to her?” (I )

“Alright, I promise to be good to anyone you like now and I’ll stop teasing you about marrying me. I know I’m making you uncomfortable. I don’t like the way those guys talks about you in the office” (she pouts)

“Look at how you pouts” (I laugh again) “I’m just kidding, I’m not dating anyone so it’s alright even if you have to use a mega phone to announce that we’re getting married. It’s the less priority to think about what they’re thinking about me”

“Aiyo! I’m trying to be a good girl here” (She pouts again) “I’m not going to do that anymore. How could you find someone to marry if I’m announcing our marriage? I’m going to take it back, don’t worry. I have told it to some people.”

“You called that some?”

“Aiyo, we both know most of them. They’re dad long-time friends”

“Alright. Do as you please.” (I’ll just let her do what she wants. Once she decides on one thing she’ll surely do it no matter what)

“Hmm, you really couldn’t even imagine marrying me. You couldn’t even try loving me more than a sister” (she suddenly looks sad)

“That’s not what I mean” (I tried to explain)

“Got you!” (She laughs)

“Gui!”

“Alright! I know, I know. You love me. Like a sister, right? You told me before. And I promised to be a good sister from now on. But…(She looks me in the eyes, our distance’s so small now. She looks serious) promise me you won’t fall inlove with me now” (she said suddenly smiling, joking again) “I have this grudge of getting back at you, so if you fall inlove with me, I’m going to leave you broken hearted. I’m much prettier now” (she laughs)

“You’re crazy as ever”

“C’mon let’s have some coffee. Want some snacks? I bet you’re hungry” (she runs back toward the house)
(\
I smiled at her. I promise myself just a little more time. I have to wait for a little more time. I have to take things slow. I wanted to show her my sincerity. I don’t want to make her feel that it’s just because I was guilty for what happened before. I look at her as she dance her way back to the house)
***