Chapter 11

Mischievous Ghost

Chapter 11

I’m really not in a good mood today; Gui Gui went out to have lunch with George. She’s spending all her weekends with him and now even during office days she’s with him.

“Did you enjoy the lunch I ordered?” (Gui Gui asked as soon as I step in. She’s smiling but something’s wrong with her)

“Are you alright? You don’t look fine” (I approached her to check but she move away)

“Just a little tired. You haven’t answered me.” (She paused for a moment, her eyes caught something as I look on what she’s looking, I saw the untouched food at the corner)

“I’m sorry; I’m really not that hungry”

“Are you mad?” (she asked gently)

“Of course not! It’s just…it’s sad to be eating alone”

“I’m sorry Yalun” (now she moved closer to me) “George wanted to try some local foods”

“You’re always with him and now even during lunch break?”
(I can’t hide the jealousy in my voice)

“C’mon, don’t say that. I’m feeling guilty already” (I kept quiet. I look at her beautiful face. She holds my face)

“Don’t be angry, alright. Why don’t we go out, so you can eat? Your schedule’s free this afternoon. Hmm…Hmm…” (She looks so adorable doing that. I hug her)

“I miss you. We haven’t spent time together. Why don’t we go out this weekend?”

“Alright” (she said almost a whisper. I chuckled, she sounded so sleepy)

“Looks like you’re sleeping on me before I can eat out”

“Just tired”

“It’s because you’ve been out non-stop. Tell George to give you time to rest. Let’s go to the vacation house this weekend instead, so you can have some rest. Company’s works are exhausting these days” (She didn’t answer me) “Gui?” (Her arms fall beside) “Gui?” (she collapsed)
***

I hurriedly brought her in the hospital. George and Uncle came together. Uncle’s talking to the doctor. Me and George stayed in the room, I can’t help glaring at him. Gui Gui’s running a fever. She looks so exhausted. She’s been trying to divide her time badly and I haven’t been paying attention on her health lately. I haven’t notice how tired she might be, from all the work in the office and this George trying to kill her from tiredness. Does he want to tour the whole country?

“What did the doctor said?” (I asked when Uncle entered the room)

“Relax, Aaron. She’s over fatigue that’s all. George, ask the doctor if we can take Gui Gui home. I forgot to ask” (George silently followed)

“Uncle, is he trying to kill Gui Gui of tiredness. They always been out, touring the county. I think Gui Gui needs vacation”

“I think you’re right Aaron, and I need to find you another secretary for that”

“What? Uncle…” (I really can’t believe uncle is telling me that, that Gui Gui’s not going to work with me anymore. Is he favoring that George now? I thought he wanted me and Gui Gui to be together)

“Aaron, I hate to tell you this but Gui Gui’s going back to America. She’s going with George when his vacation ended”
(I feel numb. Uncle’s words are too much for me to take)

“Dad…” (Gui Gui whisper as if silencing Uncle)

“Are you feeling better?” (Uncle and I hurriedly went to her side)

“I’m fine” (she smiled)

“I was so worried when you fainted”

“Stop worrying too much. It’s just that I’m not having enough rest”

“I’m so sorry baby”

“I’m going to look for your replacement as Aaron’s secretary sweetheart”

“What non-sense are you talking about dad, I’m fine. I just need some time off, Yalun and I are going to have a vacation this weekend. Right, Yalun?” (I nodded; I fell silent remembering what uncle has told me earlier that she’s going back to the US)

“Let’s talk about it at home. Have some more rest.” (George entered the room and told us that Gui Gui can be discharge and said he needed to go somewhere. Uncle needs to be back at the office)

“Hey, why are you so quiet?”

“I’m just thinking…Uncle told me earlier you’re going back to America with George. Is that true?”

“Uhm, yes…”

“And you’re not telling me about that again”

“C’mon don’t be angry. I’m just looking for a perfect time to tell you. We’re so busy and if I just popped it out, you’ll go berserk for sure. You’ve been so grumpy lately. What is there that you find in George that makes you dislike him?”

“Isn’t it obvious? Look at yourself now, lying in a hospital bed. You’re just with him earlier and when you get back you just fainted. You’re losing weight. You’ve been working in the office for months but I never seen you so tired like that. Are you planning to stay there for a long time?”

“You’re not angry?”

“I’m not”

“I just need to fix some things there and I just need to fulfill my promise with George to do some voluntary work"

“Alright, I’m coming with you”

"What? You’re..you’re coming with me?”

“Just to make sure you’ll be coming back” (I smiled)

“You don’t have to, Yalun”

“But I want to. I’ll treat that as a vacation. And speaking of vacation, we’ll go to the beach this weekend and unwind.”
***