Chapter 4

Mischievous Ghost

Chapter 4

Four years ago… (Aaron’s version)

“Aaron. The President wants to see you.” (Calvin said as soon as I step inside our office. I just came from a meeting with Mr. Smith, one of Uncle Ali’s friends. Uncle Ali assigned me to negotiate with Mr. Smith regarding the materials we’ll be importing. Uncle’s having problems in the company lately. His Vice President embezzled the funds allocated for some of the company’s project and run away. I’ll be going with Mr. Smith back to Europe to learn some designs and look at the materials and machines that we can use. I was surprised when he asked me earlier if I wanted to work for him)

“Alright, I’ll just get my phone. I forgot it, Gui Gui must be calling me” (Gui Gui’s on vacation right now so she have more time following and ordering me around)

“Oh, right! She already called me since she can’t get through you. And I said you’re with Mr. Smith discussing things about your trip.”

“What?” (I stare at him. I wanted to strangle Calvin. Gui Gui don’t know yet about my trip. She’ll be frantic, she was planning the things she wanted to do while she’s in vacation and of course she’s asking me to accompany her)

“Got it! I caused trouble, right? I’m sorry dude, I didn’t know you haven’t told her yet, maybe that’s the reason she’s there at the President’s Office earlier.”

(I sigh, knowing Gui Gui, she’ll do things to make me to stay. Whenever I got an out of town trip and she can’t go with me, she’ll do crazy things like hiding my ticket or passport, pretending to be sick, getting angry, threatening me and Uncle, she even unaired my car’s tire. Most of the time I asked Uncle to let her come with me just so she’ll stop nagging and crying)
***

“How did the meeting go?”

“It’s alright Sir.”

“Did he ask you if you wanted to work with him?” (I look at Uncle Ali, so he knows about it. I nodded)

“Don’t look too surprised, Mr. Smith’s a friend of course he ask me if it’s alright to offer you to work with him. I told him, it’s up to you. I won’t hinder you. You’ve been a great help in the company and I wanted to thank you for all the things you’ve done. Just tell me if you wanted to stay there so I can ask Director Chun to follow and do the things you’re supposed to do.”

“Don’t worry Uncle. I’m not going.” (I sensed that he’s worried. He’s been stressed out by the company’s matter)

“I just know you’ll say that” (Uncle Ali smiled at me).

“Thank you, Aaron” (Uncle sighed, he looks older) “I’m not worried for the company now. We are trying our best.”

“Everything’s going to be fine Uncle”.

“But I’m worried about Gui Gui. She’s here earlier and I think you know the reason why”

“I haven’t told her about my trip. She’ll be frantic and I’m really busy these days preparing some things before I leave.” (I don’t have time for her tantrums yet. I’m sure she’ll ask me to take her with me or I’ll stay but we really need to focus on this. She’s going a little overboard these days, she’s jealous because of Serena. It feels like she’s checking on my every move. Sometimes it’s tiring especially when I’m thinking so many things about the company)

“She’s been so dependent on you, maybe because I haven’t spent much time with her.”

“It’s alright Uncle, she’s a sister to me. I’m used to have her around.”

“Her world revolves around you and I’m afraid for the time when you have your own family. I know you adore her too much and I’m thankful for all the attention you have given her but you also have your own life and she needs to learn how to be independent. It would be a great opportunity if she had accepted the exchange student program. Maybe she’ll realize what she really wanted to do”(Gui Gui’s a little indecisive. Whenever I asked her about her plans, she’ll just question me back what I wanted to do or what I wanted her to do.)

“Gui Gui’s still young Uncle, she’ll realize it sooner.”
(Uncle sighed)

“I’m not letting her come with you this time. I know she always got what she wanted especially from you. Although it will be for just a few months but I hope your trip would give you opportunity to learn new things and I wanted her to learn on how to be a little independent without you on side to assist her on everything she does. You could extend your stay there and have some vacation. Serena’s a great lady” (He added, he sounded like he’s teasing me)

“Uncle…I…” (I tried to explain that there’s nothing going on between me and Serena although I like her since she can perfectly understands me and we have same interests and ideals but that’s it, I’m not inlove with her)

“It’s alright, Aaron that’s your private life. I’m sorry for intruding. You’re like a son to me and I’m very grateful that you love this company as I do. I know you don’t like to hurt my daughter’s feelings but I need you to promise me not to let her get her way this time. We have spoiled her too much.

(I perfectly understand what Uncle is trying to say. I also wanted to see her to be someone who can stand on her own. Although I haven’t thought of those things like me having my own family or leaving her because Gui Gui and me have always been together. She’s a part of me and if ever I’ll be having a wife I’ll make sure she’ll treasure Gui Gui as I treasure her. Although it may be hard for Gui Gui since she’s always been possessive but I do hope that my upcoming trip will give an opportunity to her to mature a little)

“I understand Uncle. I promise not to be shaken by her pleads and I won’t ask you to let her come with me in Europe either. I might as well stabilize my emotions, you know she’s good at emotional blackmail” (I smiled at Uncle. This is the first time Uncle asked me about this.)
***

When I got home I informed my parents about Mr. Smith’s offer and the said they’ll support whatever decision I’ll have and I told them I’m not staying there. I don’t see any reason for me to stay there permanently. My family’s here. I informed them about Gui Gui’s matter and asked my mom not to help her this time. We all couldn’t say no to whatever Gui Gui asked before but this time it’s different. Later that night, I can’t sleep. I’m waiting for Gui Gui’s nagging for not telling her about my trip but she hasn’t called yet. I was about to go to bed when I saw her from my room going to the garden.

“Hey, brat. What are you doing there?” (She was so absorbed for whatever she’s thinking and I think it’s about my trip)

“Dad won’t let me come with you. Don’t go. Just stay…” (she plead as I expected less the nagging I was expecting first before she’ll start asking me to stay or asking me to ask Uncle to let her come just like in my previous trips. Maybe because this time she clearly knows that Uncle won’t let her come with.)

“Going to miss me that much? (I teased) Be good when I’m not around, alright. Don’t be a spoiled and stop giving Uncle a headache; he’s thinking so many things at the company already.”

“Don’t go please…please…” (How could I ever say no to her, my very adorable baby but I’ve already agreed to Uncle to give her time when I’m gone for a while)

“C’mon, I’m just telling you to stop acting like a child and there you go. You need to learn to be independent. We’re not going to stay at your side forever.”

“Why can’t you just stay? Please… You could just study here and train. I promise I won’t bother you. Just don’t go. Please.”(I’m tempted to say alright I’m staying but I keep reminding myself that it’s for her. It will be for a short time so she can broaden her horizons. And for Uncle as well, I really need to focus when I’m in Europe, we can’t afford to lose the project.)

“I might not be able to come back for a very long time” (It just popped out from my mouth, of course I’m just bluffing. This way she can focus on herself when I’m gone. She won’t be calling me every minute when I’m in Europe.)

“What are you saying?” (She’s going to cry. Oh god, I never wanted to hurt her like this.)

“There’s an offer for me to stay there permanently. Mr. Smith wanted me to resign to the company before going. He’ll absorb me in their company.”

“How about Uncle and Auntie?”

“Mom and Dad said they’ll support whatever decision I’ll made. Uncle Ali said he’ll let me go if I wanted to go” (I’m sorry baby…)

“So, you’re going? I mean to stay there permanently? How about me? Am I not important anymore? What can I do to make you stay?” (I wanted to tell her the truth that I’ll be gone for just a few months like the original plan. I wanted to tell her about Uncle’s problem but I can’t. She didn’t know that the company almost went bankrupt before)

“You know you are important to me. You’re the sister I never had and I hope you could understand me. It’s a dream working in an international company. You also have a dream of your own. You wanted to become a successful writer right? I hope you could support me as well” (Uncle is planning to let her enroll in a writing crash course that will keep her busy)

“No! How could I? You’re going to leave me. I can’t.”

“Gui Gui, I’ve already made a decision”

“Are you still going even if I tell you I’m inlove with you and I’ll die if you’re not with me?” (I stare at her. She’s really something, how can she shock me like this just so I would stay? She’s inlove with me? I always thought that our relationship has always been a brother-sister type)

“You’ve read too many romance novels already. ” (I laugh to ease my tension)

“I think you’re sleepy. Let’s go and have some midnight snacks. Let’s talk about it again tomorrow, when you’re sober. I think you’re shock when you heard the news about this earlier” (After a few days she’ll be alright. Maybe before I leave I’m going to tell her the truth and I’ll made a truce that if she stay here obediently, we’ll do everything she wants when I’m back)

“I’m not joking; I know what I’m saying. I’m inlove with you. I love you Aaron. I’ll die if you leave me” (I was shock when she cross the small distance between us and kiss me. I was unguarded by her action. Her lips are soft. She didn’t know how to kiss. She just let her lips on top of mine. I wanted to kiss her properly. I was surprised by my own reaction. I was confused all of a sudden. How could I feel this way towards her?)

“Stop it, Gui Gui. Grow up, you can’t always have what you want. I’ll be flying to America three weeks from now” (I’m angry at myself. I need to be out of here fast.)

“I hate you! Why can’t you believe me? I hate you”
***