Chapter 5

Mischievous Ghost

Chapter 5

I couldn’t sleep that night, the feeling of Gui Gui’s lips on mine keeps hunting me. My heart can’t relax. Gui Gui’s like a sister to me how could I ever think of kissing her earlier? I need to clear my head. Do my feelings for her surpass to being a sister? I’m always protective of her. Even when I was still studying and my friends used to tease me about her, I never felt interested in her romantically. I know that she likes me but I always thought it’s just a simple idolization like I’m a super hero in her eyes. Is she really inlove with me? She’s still young. I need to talk to her tomorrow.

My plan to talk to her was wasted for she lock herself in her room for the following days and I was busy in the company. She won’t see anyone of us even my mom. My mom said to give her some time. Usually after a day she’s alright but several days has passed and she still didn’t want to even accept my call and I was caught up with my work, Mr. Smith suddenly needs to go to Japan and Uncle Ali asked me to assist him. Mr. Smith’s plan is to go directly in Europe after the trip in Japan. When I was in Japan I asked Mr. Smith if I can delay my flight and just follow, Gui Gui’s still mad at me and I can’t go without talking to her first.

I was calling Gui Gui when Serena appears.

“Did you two fight?”

(I sigh) “How did you know?”

“You’re always uneasy these days and I haven’t seen her before we left Taiwan. I haven’t heard you phone ringing as well. Usually she’s always calling you”

“She’s angry. I’m not used to her being like this. Her anger usually subsides after a few hours the longest will be a day but it’s been a week already. I’m really worried.”

“It’s because of your trip in Europe?”(I look at her, should I tell her the whole thing?) “She didn’t want you to go, right?”

“She’s never willing to be left out whenever I have a trip. It will be easier if she can go with me but I really need to focus on this and even Uncle asked me not to bring her along. I’m really worried about her, this is the first time she got mad for so long and her action was not the one I’m expecting.”

“Because she’s jealous about me”

(I smiled at her) “She’s always been jealous to every girl. I got two girlfriends back then but they broke up with me after a month because of her. My ex-girlfriends always said that I’d rather be with her than be with them. Gui Gui’s always been special. She’s been with me even before she couldn’t pronounce my name right. She’s part of me and I hope that my girlfriend could adore her as much as I do”
(Serena smiled like she knows something that I don’t) What?? (I asked her)

“I’m just curious. What would you feel if the situation’s been reversed? She’s the one going to leave and she’s with a guy?”

(I look at her. I was speechless for a while.)

“Don’t answer that. I know the answer already. I really like you Aaron but the moment I saw you and Gui Gui together I know I don’t have a chance”

(I kept silent) “I’m sorry” (I didn’t know. I was just comfortable with Serena. She’s like me. We have so many things in common)

“Don’t be. You’re inlove with her and she’s inlove with you. If it wasn’t the case I’d like to fight for you.”
“What?” (Again, confusion embraced me. I’m inlove with Gui Gui?)

(Serena laughs) “How come you didn’t know? I thought Gui Gui confessed to you?” (I stared at her. How did she know about that? I haven’t told her anything yet)

“Don’t look too surprised. I’m a girl. Girls have that natural instinct towards our rival. I just know that she’ll confess just to prevent you from going. So did she?”

(I nodded and decided to tell her the whole story)

“Gui Gui’s still young Aaron. I know why President Wu’s worried; her world is revolving around you and it’s not healthy anymore. All of you have spoiled her too much. Give her time to grow even for a while. If you’re always with her she’ll never learn.” (I wanted to disagree. Gui Gui’s smart and if she set her mind into something she’ll surely go her way to get it but it’s true that I have spoiled her, I always feel that if I’m gone she can’t do anything right. Maybe Uncle and Serena’s right, I need to be away from her for a while but still I don’t want to leave without talking to her. I need to know that she’s alright already.)
***

I was so shocked when I didn’t see her when I returned; she already left without even telling me. She even requested my parents and Uncle Ali not to tell me that she’s leaving. I really have hurt her a lot. My mom’s questioning me what had happened, why Gui Gui didn’t want to see me? But I kept my silence. I don’t want to tell them anything that happened that night. I wasn’t able to follow in Europe since another problem came up in the company. I was so worried about her. I couldn’t concentrate on my work. I requested Uncle to let Director Chun go and Mr. Smith’s kind enough to understand us. I kept on calling her and sending messages and everything that reminds me of her but she ignored everything. Every time my mom tried to give me the phone when she’s still on line, it was always the busy tone that I could hear. I was waiting for her return but she didn’t come home. Uncle said that she wanted to pursue her studies abroad. I really miss her and for two years she kept on ignoring me until that one night.

I was sleeping in the middle of the night when I received her call. She was crying.

“Baby, what’s wrong?”

“I miss you” (she said sobbing) “I really hope you’re here with me”

“What’s the matter? Are you alright? Are you hurt?” (She didn’t answer me and she just kept on crying)

“I’m sorry. I just really miss you.”

“It’s alright. You know you can always call me. What happened? Are you alright? I miss you too.”

(Since then our communication has been open but unlike before sometimes I felt like she’s hiding something from me, that she’s not telling me everything unlike before. Now, I’m glad that she’s finally home. I was worried that something happened to her when Uncle Ali went to her and even stayed for a few months.)
***