Day 28: Sunshine

Gingerbread and Tinsel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The scent of freshly cut grass is rich in the air, followed by the subtle sweetness of distant flowers. Donghae breathes it in with a small, satisfied smile and listens to the rustle of leaves surrounding him. Voices carry on the wind, from children and adults alike as they make the most of the warmest day in the park since April.

“This is the best Community Day ever,” Hyukjae says softly from above him, seated comfortably in a portable chair. Donghae is lying against his legs, back supported as his head rests on scarred knees.

Ju-lee, an elderly woman they’d met a year ago whose Pokémon raid group they’d joined, hums an agreement from her own chair. “If I knew it would’ve been this easy I would’ve brought beer,” she says frankly. Donghae can feel Hyukjae’s chuckles through his legs and resists another secret smile, ducking his head to click through the newest batch of Chikorita spawns. None of them are shiny, but that’s okay – after two laps of the park and only finding two shinies in as many hours, he’d found Hyukjae and other members of their ragtag group sitting smack in the middle of the sprawling pathways that break up the greenery. Since he’d joined them he’d already gotten two more in only twenty minutes.

“I’d say it’s because it’s just Chikorita,” Ryeowook says from his comfortable spot in the sun, “but we can hit several spots from here and they’re just coming to us. We don’t even have to move.”

“I’d take this over being nagged to find a wife any day,” Heechul says, sitting cross-legged on the pathway. He has a black umbrella perched over his shoulder to protect him from the sun. “I already have an ex-boyfriend, what do they want from me.”

Gunhee grumbles from his lying down position in the adjacent grass. “Stop calling me that, I’m your husband.”

Donghae smiles as they continue their familiar argument. Same- marriage had only rec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter