Day 26: Mutual Stalking

Gingerbread and Tinsel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If someone said Donghae was using his mutant powers to spy on his hot neighbour, he’d say they’re liars. He isn’t being sneaky, he’s just… using the innocence of a cat’s body to gather intel on the man living below him.

Nothing suspicious about that at all.

…okay, maybe it is creepy, Donghae muses as he jumps from his window to the balcony below. But whenever he tries to talk to Hyukjae, his mouth goes numb and words tangle in his throat and all he ends up with is polite yet perplexed smiles and Hyukjae leaving.

So. It’s not like he hasn’t tried the more normal routes. They just don’t turn out as well.

Besides, Hyukjae’s personal gym is right next to the balcony, and he likes to work out shirtless. He also grows catnip, so really, how is Donghae supposed to resist.

Hyukjae is there when he lands soundlessly on the balcony, body gleaming with sweat as he finishes a set of pull ups. Donghae settles down in the sun to watch, tail curling with contentment.

The afternoon continues as usual, Hyukjae finishing his routine and coming out to give Donghae a pet. “Hi there,” he says with a smile, reaching out to scratch behind Donghae’s ears. “Are you having a good afternoon?” His voice is soft and soothing, gentle like he doesn’t want Donghae to run away.

He definitely isn’t going anywhere.

“I have a friend coming,” Hyukjae says, pulling Donghae into his arms and oh, this is new. Donghae may or may not curl into Hyukjae’s bare chest shamelessly. “Be good and don’t scratch him, okay?”

Donghae purrs into his shoulder, exceedingly smug as Hyukjae brings him inside.

“My mum’s nagging me to get married again,” Hyukjae sighs, putting him down as he heads for the bathroom. “She always starts up around Valentine’s. Does your owner have a partner? I bet if I was taken she’d be nagging me about kids instead.”

Donghae curls up outside the bathroom door, listening to Hyukjae’s one-sided conversation as he showers. He’s not a complete heathen.

“Besides,” Hyukjae continues, towel drying his hair and stepping out of the bathrooms with jeans and, sadly, a shirt. “I’m interested in a guy, but he’s way out of my league.” Donghae has to swallow a hiss, trying to stop his hair from standing on end. “I want to say something, but…” Hyukjae groans, throwing the towel onto a couch, “I just sound dumb. I can barely get any words out and then I run away.” He falls face down onto one of the couches and mumbles into it, “I’m such a loser.”

Well, Donghae can’t have that. He jumps onto the cushion and then onto Hyukjae’s back, curling up with another purr.

Hyukjae reaches back and digs his fingers into Donghae’s fur. “At least you like me. The guy upstairs probably doesn’t even know I exist.”

Donghae almost freezes. Which guy. The inability to communicate complex thought is irritating, at times. This is most definitely one of those times.

The doorbell rings

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter