Day 14: In which we venture away from Christmas

Gingerbread and Tinsel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Let me get this straight,” Hyukjae frowns, his pen tapping on an open textbook page as he stares his boyfriend down. “You can’t help me with my history homework because you don’t know the answer.”

“Yes,” Donghae says patiently, shaking up a can of coconut water before opening it for a sip. “It’s perfectly reasonable. Not everyone knows what life was like in China in the 1600s.”

Hyukjae very carefully does not break his pen in frustration. “You were there!”

“Yeah,” Donghae scoffs around his straw. Hyukjae struggles not to roll his eyes because, come on, over four hundred years old and a scary creature of the night, and he still uses straws? “I was asleep.”

Hyukjae gives him a long, slow blink of disbelief. “For the entire rebellion? That’s over forty years, Donghae.”

Donghae just shrugs, unconcerned. “It was a long nap.”

“It was a long nap. Donghae!” Hyukjae’s pen flies and smacks Donghae in the shoulder.

“What,” Donghae whines, flopping back onto the grass and rolling over to bury his face in it. “It was people fighting, nothing new. I ignored it, napped when there were raids and idiots, had some snacks, and got the hell out of dodge when it got too annoying. I didn’t think I’d have to do a test on it, some centuries later.”

“Fair,” Hyukjae concedes. “Being immortal isn’t that interesting, huh.”

Donghae peeks up between the tall blades of grass. “Not particularly. Kyuhyun was turned in the nineties, invested in Apple in the 70s and took a nap, then invested in the internet in the eighties and had another nap. If online gaming wasn’t so captivating to him, believe me, he’d still be asleep.”

“So that’s why he’s so rich so young,” Hyukjae muses. “Well, supposedly young.”

“Don’t worry,” Donghae pats his knee kindly. “You may be seventeen now, but soon you’ll find an easy way to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter