Day 15: Hogwarts AU 1/?

Gingerbread and Tinsel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Having to transfer wizarding schools because his mother got a job in England wasn’t easy, but Donghae hadn’t expected it to be. His English was okay but not the greatest, and the students in Diagon Alley just gave him weird looks when he resorted to Latin instead. “It’s the language of your magic!” He protests when a blond girl frowns in confusion. He pauses, runs his words over and groans when he realises Korean had been coming out instead. He mimes reading a book instead, then looks up hopefully and shrugs with wide eyes.

“Oh,” the girl says, understanding finally taking light in her eyes. “This way!” She grabs hold of his robe’s sleeve and drags him along. Donghae stares at her bright pink nail polish and wonders if it’s worth trying to say he’s not blind, but decides on accepting the kindness and follows her. He sees what looks like a bookshop down the alley and opens his mouth to thank her, but the girl suddenly switches direction and hauls him into a sweets shop.

“Um, this isn’t books,” he says, his English coming out so quiet with his hesitation that his helper doesn’t seem to hear him.

She sticks her neck out to peer around the many people in the shop, and lets out a triumphant noise when she finds whatever she’s looking for. Honestly, Donghae is just trying to find a subtle way to pry her fingers off his sleeve, but they’re surprisingly strong. She suddenly whips around to face him and Donghae steps on someone’s foot in his shock. “Chinese?” She asks, and Donghae takes a moment to realise she’s asking for his first language.

“Korean,” he replies, hoping she’s going to link him to someone who’ll understand him. Understanding English from television and movies is one thing, but sudden fast paced interactions are another beast entirely.

The girl perks up at that. “Oh! I love K-pop,” she says happily. Donghae is caught between groaning loudly – really, does that have to be everyone’s reaction? – and being polite. “Hyukjae’s here, he should be able to help you out.”

“Thank ,” he says in Korean. The amused look she gives him has him rolling his eyes – K-dramas have catch phrases, and curses are one of them. She drags him over to a group of teenagers hanging around the loose lolly section, and Donghae has never been so relieved to see a bunch of Asians in his life. It’s not home, but it’s a step towards it.

“Hyukjae!” The girl says, and maybe Donghae should’ve asked her name but he’s too busy being relieved to care about his lack of manners. “This guy’s Korean and I think he wanted books? I’m not the best choice for guide thoug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter