Day 9: demon reindeer

Gingerbread and Tinsel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day Hyukjae discovered he was a wizard was an incredible day. The days following that, less so. Especially after being assigned the faction’s arguably most stuck up supervisor.

“,” he mutters, crouching at the edge of his summoning circle as the smoke disperses. “Not sure that’s supposed to happen.”

“If I had a dollar for every time you said that,” Donghae says from his seat in the living room’s corner, “I’d be paid enough to make having to babysit your ups worth it.”

Hyukjae takes a subtle deep breath, trying not to let his hackles rise. “Unfortunately for you, it’s your job.”

Donghae glances up from his book and quirks an eyebrow at Hyukjae’s measured expression. “And if you did yours correctly, we could both be free of each other. Today’s task – summon a gargoyle. The result? A reindeer. Very frightening.”

Hyukjae’s fists clench with irritation, half irritated at Donghae’s arrogance and half aroused by it. Why did he have to be so hot, yet such a bastard. He looks to his summons and sighs, pushing himself up and entering the circle. “Hello,” he says to the large reindeer. He ignores Donghae’s amused snort and continues, “Sorry to have summoned you so suddenly. I’m still getting the hang of this.”

“You’re as green as a Christmas tree,” Donghae says.

The reindeer regards Donghae’s reclining form and takes a few steady steps towards Hyukjae. “It is no crime to be new,” it says, and Hyukjae nearly has a heart attack because, oops, demon reindeer. “Manners will always do you well. Talent will not save you from your own idiotic ego,” it says, looking pointedly at Donghae.

Hyukjae can’t help but grin at his supervisor’s flabbergasted expression. “I like you,” he says to the reindeer. “What’s your name?”

“Jongtae,” it says smoothly. “I am a type of baeksaseum.” Its tail flicks and it steps even closer, its nose nuzzling into Hyukjae’s chest as it sniffs him; Hyukjae has to dig his feet into the floor to avoid being pushed over by its sheer strength. “Do you want to know a secret?”

“No, he doesn’t,” Donghae says, finally standing and making a few gestures with his hands to gain control of the summons circle. “You may return to your home.”

Jongtae doesn’t budge. “You know,” it says. “You have the sight.”

“Sight?” Hyukjae frowns, looking to Donghae for the usual why-are-you-so-incompetent lecture that actually has useful information once he can stop being pissed off. He does a double-take when he realises Donghae’s usually brown eyes have turned a vibrant orange.

“Future sight,” Jongtae elaborates. “And seeing the truth of magic.”

Donghae’s mouth has set into a grim line. “You aren’t constrained by the summons,” he says flatly. “You came of your own volition?”

“You know who he is,” Jongtae says, and Hyukjae swears there’s amusement in those large eyes. “You know who he will be. Stop resisting it.”

“Destiny is not a certain thing,” Donghae says, the cold fury in his face taking Hyukjae by surprise. “It is made of infinite probabilities that take certain paths. The one you speak of is unfavourable.”

“I am so not fol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter