Broken fragments

Where He Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All eight members are crammed together in the group van as Minseok silently drives towards Baekhyun's house. No one was speaking and everyone was on edge, already filled with a type of adrenaline. The roles of each person had been established earlier: Yixing would stay back in the van with his laptop so he'd be able to watch the members who went inside since they'd have the small cameras on their chest; he'd also be able to help them navigate by texting them where to go if needed. Minseok, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Jongdae would be going into the house. Jongin pitched a fit as the whole thing was his idea, but Junmyeon would only go through with the plan if Jongin sat this one out. Kyungsoo somehow ended up getting involved with going inside. He wasn't thrilled about it considering how opposed to the idea he originally was, but it was either him or Sehun, and Kyungsoo already knew how against Junmyeon was with the two youngest members getting involved. So here he was, sitting in the car with a camera latched to his chest, a bag of dog treats in one hand and a bag of cat treats in the other. He felt ridiculous to say the least, but he supposed it couldn't be helped.

Chanyeol was a bundle of nerves, anxiously glancing around the van every few seconds. He wasn't the sneakiest person alive and he was sure that if Baekhyun's parents caught him that it would more than likely be his fault. Minseok and Jongdae seemed rather calm and that was only making Chanyeol more nervous. He knew this had to be done though; there would definitely be answers left inside; good or bad. The van comes to a halt when Minseok reaches the driveway, sighing quietly as he unbuckled his seatbelt. "Are you guys ready?" He's the first one to speak the entire car ride. Everyone nods their heads and Yixing crawls to the back of the van as he gets his computer out and set up. It was amazing how good Yixing was with computers. No one ever pinpointed him as someone who was a genius with them, but no one was really surprised either. Yixing seemed to have talents in the most random areas. 

"Be careful," Junmyeon says as the four get out of the car, "and if you think you hear someone coming you get out immediately, understand? I really don't want to bail anyone out of prison." 

"Don't worry, Junmyeon. We're pros." Chanyeol jokes, though that only makes Junmyeon twice as nervous. s were known for many talents, but being sneaky was not one of them. "Guys, please." Junmyeon practically begs, but the four only dismiss him (with the exception of Kyungsoo who's shooting him a look of sympathy) and start heading up the side of the yard. The four march up in silence, knowing very well that if any of them were loud that their covers would be blown. Kyungsoo glances back to see Junmyeon driving the van towards the side of the yard, parking it under one of the bigger trees as a means to stay at least somewhat hidden. What were they about to get themselves into? He only shakes his head in vague disappointment before looking back ahead, trailing shortly behind Chanyeol and Jongdae. 

"His window is there." Minseok whispers as they reach the side of the house. The four of them are treading over to Baekhyun's bedroom window, peering anxiously inside. "What can you see?" Kyungsoo asks as Chanyeol peers into the window. Chanyeol was really the only one tall enough to actually look into the window with Jongdae, Minseok, and Kyungsoo huddled around behind him. 

"It's dark." He states dumbly. "So I can't really see much. The lights are off, which is good I guess. His bedroom door is closed as well. It looks like his room hasn't been touched since he last left it." 

"Well, let's try and open it." Minseok mumbles and Chanyeol nods his head. Chanyeol was left in charge of opening the window since he was really the only one tall enough to reach it. He'd also be lifting the other members inside. Despite only being one story, his bedroom window was placed just out of reach to where the members on the shorter side missed it by a few inches. The other three watch Chanyeol in curiosity as he tries to pick the window open, sighing in frustration when he couldn't open it. "Can I just break it open?"

"Absolutely not." Minseok and Kyungsoo say at the same time. "Do you want his parents to hear us?" Minseok asks with a raised eyebrow. 

"I don't know how else to open it." He mumbles before groaning quietly. "Okay, give me a minute." He grumbles under his breath. "Do you have the screwdriver I asked you to bring?" 

"Yeah." Jongdae whispers and pulls the screwdriver out from the small bag he brought with him. Chanyeol takes it after a moment, exhaling silently as he starts to silently pry the window pane open. Kyungsoo clears his throat and looks away nervously; this was really happening now. Chanyeol was actually applying some knowledge to break into Baekhyun's house. Outstanding. He looks back over when hearing Chanyeol gasp silently, a grin of triumph on his face as he pulls out the window pane and places it gently on the ground. "Come here so I can lift you up." He whispers as the three inch closer to him. Chanyeol squats slightly and folds his hands together, staring at Kyungsoo expectantly. He sighs nervously as he carefully places his foot on Chanyeol's hands, gasping loudly when he hoists him up. "Crawl in, Kyungsoo." Minseok whispers from his spot in the grass. He nods his head shakily and slips in the best that he can without making any noise. 

Once he's in his heart is pounding through his chest, soft whimpers escaping him as he looks around. Breaking and entering definitely wasn't his forte despite his previous movie roles. Chanyeol was right though; Baekhyun's room was left practically untouched. If the members of the police force did in fact investigate his room, it was hard to tell. His bed was made, posters hung up on the wall, a pair of shoes on the floor by his bed, his hamper had clothes in it still, and his desk and shelves still held his personal items. The room smelled just like him too, which was a crazy experience to say the least. Kyungsoo hasn't been exposed to his scent in the last two years with the exception of occasionally going into Baekhyun's old dorm room and borrowing one of his sweaters or sleeping in his bed and being surrounded by the scent his pillows and sheets gave off. That was different though and mainly a coping mechanism for Kyungsoo, but to be in a room that was engulfed by his scent was a completely different thing. It was nauseating and making him a little lightheaded.

Soon enough Minseok and Jongdae are behind him with Chanyeol climbing through the window. "Where do we start first?" Jongdae whispers as they stealthily make their way through his room. 

"His desk probably." Chanyeol says as he shines a flashlight in the direction. They decided earlier that they would all bring flashlights and navigate in the dark, least they turn on Baekhyun's lamp and wake up his parents from the light in the room that was normally dark. The four quietly make their way to his desk, making sure not to trip over or step on anything on the floor. Their hearts dropped though when shining their flashlights on the desk; his laptop was still there, placed neatly in the middle of the desk, with the charging cord plugged in. Chanyeol closes his eyes and inhales deeply, making sure to keep himself balanced. Just because his laptop was still in his room didn't mean anything. He still could have bought a new one when he ran off. Maybe he was afraid that his laptop could be traced to his location; he was often paranoid like that. Chanyeol shrugs off his doubts and picks up the laptop and charger, carefully sliding it into the bag that Jongdae was holding onto. One down, many more to go. 

Minseok rummages through his desk, pulling out a few journal like books and handing them to Jongdae to put in the bag. Kyungsoo found a planner along with another journal and what he assumed to be a diary. These were definitely tips that could help point them in Baekhyun's direction and they didn't want to miss anything. They knew they wouldn't be able to come back again. "This can't be everything." Jongdae says when Minseok looks through his bookshelves and comes back empty handed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter