Nothing left for you

Where He Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rain's pelting the surrounding dark and rich soil, seeping deep into the dirt as Yeon's eyebrows furrow from the uncomfortable feeling of her wet clothes sticking to her skin. There's a throbbing to the back and sides of her head. Her eyes are closed and she's too afraid to open them, but due to the loud noises of frogs, crickets, and other insects she's come to the conclusion that she's outside somewhere. A loud crack of thunder rolls across the angry sky, water raining down onto her as if it were personally mad at her for simply existing. The rain was cold and unforgiving, much like the bruises and aches on her body. 

She's couldn't remember much; just that she had been in the parking lot of a market with Jongin and that Minseok's car failed to start. She can remember something striking Jongin in the back of his head and making him bleed, and she also remembers being sprayed with pepper spray. Every part of her body was sore- she could remember the taser as well. Her eyebrow twitches as she slowly blinks her eyes open, water droplets falling and rolling off the curves of her face. 

She didn't know where she was. She forces herself to sit up, her vision blurring for a brief moment before taking in her surroundings. She was in a field, though from the fog she couldn't see if she was near any houses or main city roads. She looks down at her hands that are shaky and covered in cuts and dirt. What happened to her? She can remember the person who attacked them; it was the same person that she had footage of. Why would they want Jongin? Why would they dump her here? Why not just kill her off? Would it not be better if they had no witnesses? Perhaps they just assumed she was a random girl Jongin was with. That could be likely. 

She slowly pushes herself up from the ground, nearly losing her balance and falling over in the process. She felt extremely lightheaded and cold on top of everything else. Winter rain was never forgiving and Yeon's baby blue sweater wasn't doing much to keep her warm when it was drenched. She knew she needed to get out of the rain quickly- staying out in conditions like this for too long could become dangerous. But how did she know that she wasn't being followed? She could have been dumped here for a specific purpose, or they could have just left her for dead. Both options seemed likely. She starts to walk alongside an empty road, one that seemed to stretch on for miles without any sign of civilization. Was she still in Seoul? She lost her bag during the struggle which also had her smart phone inside. She feels around her jean pockets when remembering something, a sigh of relief escaping her when feeling a small object.

Her disposable flip phone. Yeon kept a flip phone strictly for business calls, and she was glad that today she remembered to bring it with her. Her heart drops, however, when pulling out the phone only to see that it couldn't receive service in the area she was in. She looks around once again. Nothing. Just grass, trees, fog. She looked to be outside of some forest, but Yeon's knowledge about Korea was limited as it was, especially when it came to the geography and landmarks. Yeon was beyond lost and she knew it. 

"I just need to keep walking until I get service." She tells herself, trying to keep herself from spiraling into a panic attack. Out of all the years she's been alive, out of all the clients she's had- she's never been in a situation like this. She thought she had worked plenty of risky jobs before this, but she was never kidnapped and left for dead. She could hardly complain though, she knew what she was getting into when she first accepted Yixing's call. Something in her gut told her to ignore the call, but Yeon answered it anyway. How could she just ignore a long time friend like that? Especially when she knew about the struggles he was going through? Maybe her gut was right, but Yeon wouldn't have forgiven herself if she never volunteered to help Yixing. This was important anyway, right? There had to be some meaning behind all of this. 

She feels as if she's been walking alongside the empty road for at least an hour now with no sign of any town coming into view. Her eyes have adjusted to the fog, though she still couldn't fight off the feeling of uneasiness. Her gut was sending her a strong feeling and she'd be a fool to ignore it. 

She was being followed. 

"Relax." She whispers to herself, side eyeing her surroundings. This didn't make sense. Jongin was kidnapped and she was being followed? Who was with Jongin? Where was Jongin? Maybe she had been wrong from the very start- maybe there had been more than one person involved in this. It would explain some things that weren't adding up. She picks up her pace, eyes straight ahead.

The rain is loud but the footsteps behind her are louder, echoing in her ears. 

Was this how she was going to die? Alone in a country that wasn't her home, somewhere by a forest in the rain? What a sad way to go out. She didn't want to die; she still had so many things left to do. She breaks out into a sprint, her feet taking her as fast as they possibly can. She needed to get service and call someone quick. Or at least find a town where she could slip through their grasp. The rain is falling sideways, hitting her violently as she continues to run, her feet splashing in the puddles along the road. She can hear splashing behind her, indicating that whoever was following her was hot on her trail.

She needed to come up with something; she needed to get herself out of this situation and back to the others. Somehow, some way. She would make it work. She always did. Jongin was relying on her and she needed to alert the others about what happened. She assumed they were aware that something was going on anyway. They left for the market hours ago.

What did this person want with her? Probably out of the picture, she thinks. She has been the one that's been hacking into their footage and exposing them. She knew they probably wouldn't be too grateful for that. She doesn't have many options and she certainly doesn't have many tools for her to utilize right now. Outrunning him seemed to be her best bet, but God knows she wasn't a track star. She could only run for so long before her limbs would start to break down from fatigue. She looks around before an idea pops into her head. She suddenly makes a sharp left, running into the forest that she had been trying to avoid. She risked becoming even more lost, but it was seeming to be her only choice. 

She wasn't a violent person. In fact, Yeon's never hurt anyone before. Yet the tree she's hiding behind and the rock she's gripping onto in her right hand says otherwise. She was in a compromising situation. It was either her or her kidnapper. Her eyes are squeezed shut as she's praying that the person will lose track of her and she won't have to use the rock that's in her hand. Things wouldn't go that way of course, especially when she hears a twig break in the distance from the pressure of shoes walking on it. She lets out a shaky breath, her forehead resting against the rough bark of the tree while she stares down at her soaked dirt covered shoes. The footsteps are growing closer and her heart is pounding against her ribcage.

This was happening. It was going to happen. 

She catches a glimpse of a person five or six trees away from her, cautiously looking around for what she was assuming was her. The rain is only coming down harder, making it that much harder to see. "Yeon, be brave." She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter