1. Yellow Tulip

Withering Petals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wind chimes rang out softly, drawing his attention to the main entrance of the shop. Lu Bolin stood up from his chair situated behind the desk in the small office in the back of thes tore, and he walked out to the sight of a male and female wandering around the store. Both of their backs were turned to him, and he decided to take the chance to observe them for a moment. Despite it being almost noon, they were his first customers of the day, and he was used to that. Not many people had a reason to buy flowers early in the morning especially on a weekday, so Bolin let them roam around without disturbing them.

He was always curious about how people behaved when they thought no one was watching. It was fascinating and quite fun to guess about the lives of others. One could never guess what others were hiding, but that didn’t mean one couldn’t.

As he watched the pair, he noticed that while they were standing fairly close to one another, they barely touched. A brush on the bicep or a poke in the shoulder to catch the other's attention was the extremes of touching between the two, so he could justify that they weren't dating. The familiarity between the two of them made him believe that they were either life long friends or siblings.

The more he watched the pair, the more he caught glimpses of their facial expressions and identifiers. The male was a few inches taller than the female, but they both shared similar lean physiques — the female was a bit more muscular than the average female was, though, from the way her muscles bulged as she lifted a flower pot to inspect closer. They both had brown hair; hers was in a curly pony-tail that moved whenever she did. He couldn’t guess their ages from their back profile, but they seemed energetic enough that they were probably in their early to mid-twenties.

The two continued to speak about the lavender flowers they were standing in front of when the female’s phone rang. She excused herself and walked out of the store, standing so Bolin could finally see her entire face. She was quite beautiful, and as he watched her speak on the phone, Bolin decided it was a good moment to announce himself. He cleared his throat loudly, catching the attention of the man.

“Welcome,” Bolin pleasantly greeted the man. Now that he saw the man’s face, he could definitely say that he was probably in his early twenties. He had big eyes, high cheekbones, and a defined jawline. “How may I help you?”

“Ah, I’m looking for a bouquet to congratulate someone on their new job,” the man requested.

“Yes, of course,” Bolin smiled as picked up a notepad to note the flowers that were chosen for the bouquet, and he walked out from behind the checkout counter and walked over to the roses. “Coral and peach roses are used when congratulating someone. Who are they for?”

“My twin sister. She’s the one standing outside on the phone, and she would probably love those roses.” Ah, so they were siblings. Bolin was secretly proud of himself for guessing correctly. It wasn't like he had any doubts in his abilities, though.

“That’s great," he answered with a smile. "I suppose congratulations are in order from my behalf as well. Do you know which other flowers you want to add in besides the roses?”

“Hm,” the man pondered, “she really likes lavender, so if you could add that in that would be great. Otherwise, it’s up to you.”

“Alright, give me a few minutes to get the bouquet ready,” Bolin requested as he put down his notepad to gather the flowers. He grabbed a few stems of each flower and put them in a vase until he could trim the ends of each stem and tie them together. He took some blue cellophane and wrapped the bouquet with that, tying it with white ribbons. Working with flowers always gave him peace. They were so beautiful and so malleable. Art could be made in so many different ways wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter