Chapter 8

My Symphony

“We will become strangers

At this place right now

Someone will shed tears and be left alone “

Byul kept repeating the lyrics in her head until she began to produce a song.

 

*Knock Knock*

 

“Solar’s here.” Byul was trying to finish off the beat to make it harmonized.

 

“Let her in.” Byul was focused as ever, and was always professional in the studio.

 

Solar came in, it was her first time in the studio because her last album was always produced in her car. As she started walking in she noticed that her studio was very dark. Awkwardly she came in trying to find a place to sit. Byul turned around.

 

“Hello.” Byul awkwardly greeted. “Hold up.” She got up and went to get to water bottles from the fridge. She handed one to Solar. For a moment they awkwardly sat and stared at each other.

 

Solar avoided all eye contact. Everytime she looked at her face anger and hatred grew and pounded in her heart.

 

“How was your day.” Byul tried to break the ice.

 

“Busy as usual.” Solar replied with short answers.

 

Byul sensed that she should just quit talking and get right into business. “Oh I forgot.” She turned around and pressed play. “How is it? Do you like it?”

 

Solar gave no response, she knew she was only here to sing only and not conversate. Byul decided to change the subject.

 

“Okay. I am pretty sure we can get this whole song recorded in one day. So.” She let out a sigh. “Let me explain the whole song and and the message that’s supposed to be conveyed.” She handed a copy of the lyrics to her.

 

“This song is about your first love with scenarios of the break up. The message is, letting go of your loved one.” She rolled her chair next to Solar explaining the emotions and feelings that are supposed to be expressed in certain parts.

“What is the title?” Solar nonchalantly said.

 

“Only One. It’s called Only One.” She let out a fake laugh. “Cheesy isn’t it.” She smiled. “Are you ready to sing?” The girl got up and walked towards the recording booth.

 

“Are you ready?” Byul spoked in the microphone.

 

“Cue.” She nodded

 

The beginning was an acoustic feeling to it.

 

“You’re only getting farther –

You’re the only one

As much as I loved you,

You’re the only one

It hurts and hurts and it’s foolish but goodbye

Though I may never see you again,

You’re the only one

Only one”

 

Byul put a lot of emotion and thought into writing this song. Somehow she just wrote how she felt after the engagement.

 

“We awkwardly sit across each other,

Making small talk and asking what’s new

The moments when the conversation

Stop for a moment

The cold silence freezes us

We will become strangers

At this place right now

Someone will shed tears and be left alone but

I hate seeing you try not to scar me

And feel ill at ease

So I’ll let you go”

 

Byul could feel the emotion that was given to this verse. In her mind she pictured the moments they had since she came back to Korea. The little talks, the long silence of conversing with each other, and finally when she saw Solar getting engaged. She felt stuck, as she couldn’t even recognize the person she once knew.

 

She paused the song. “Solar I need a longing emotion for the part when you  sing.” She looked down at her sheet of lyrics. “So I’ll let you go.” She made a note. “I want it to sound like you’re getting something off your chest, If you know what I mean. Alright ready.” She restarted the part from the 2nd verse again and this time she did better.

 

“Did we hope for different things

Starting from long ago?

The sharpness of the vast difference of our start and end

And the pain that stabs my heart –

Why is it so similar?

My overwhelmed heart

Crumbles emptily in just one moment

How can I stand up again?”

 

Byul paused the song once again. “Solar~ you have to sing this part as a realization that you have come in terms with the break up. It’s a little bit of questioning yourself and your partner of why you both did not end up with each other.”

 

Solar looked at the sheet of paper reading the verse over and over again. Reading it so much, she came in terms with her pain that was hidden inside of her. Her heart and mind were overwhelmed with the lyrics that she couldn’t really accept singing it.

 

Finally Solar saw what she could not see before. She understood now. Her own body and mind could not come in terms with their break up because they never really had one. It was never confirmed for her. Their break up was byul just disappearing.

 

“Cue!” Solar resang the whole verse, singing her realization of the love that was lost.

 

“When will my head

Erase you? (I will let you go)

One day, two days, one month,

If long term then a few years

(My baby can’t forget)

And someday in your memories,

I won’t live in it, you will erase me

Only One Only One

You’re the only one, Only One” (BOA- ONLY ONE)

 

The music stopped finally. “Good Job! Come up here so you can listen to the song.”

 

Solar came out of the booth and came back inside the studio. She sat down and began to drink some water.

 

“Oh~” Byul made a sound. She quickly took the water of her hand. “That’s mine.” She pushed forward another bottle. Solar was a bit surprised, but it didn’t bother her. She opened her bottle of water and started to chug it down.

 

Byul played the song for her to listen to. As it finally ended after 3 minutes byul stood up. “Good Job.” She reached out for a handshake, but was avoided by the other girl. She put her hand in her pockets.“It was nice working with you.”

 

Solar got up and grabbed her coat and left.

 

 

Byul sat down in her train, replaying the song. "Final present." Byul whispered in her train of thoughts.