Chapter 4

how'd you do that

He never came back.

 

The four word, five syllable statement killed Kyungsoo inside. No person he ever talked to could understand the importance that simple statement held.

 

2 years worth of empty memories and terrible reminiscent moments. 2 years worth of guilty stares given to a family who offered him one. Worst of all, 2 years worth of self harm and death so close all he had to do was capture it.

 

Even when it was so close, it was so out of reach. At his worst times, death sat in the curves of his fingers, until he'd spread his fingers and let the thought sink away, like sand slips through your fingers.

 

Some nights, he'd jump upright from the fetal position he'd lay. He wouldn't be sleeping, he never slept right after Chanyeol left.

 

Some nights, he'd get at most 4 hours of sleep. Some nights, his eyes stayed glued open, wondering over the darkened silhouettes of the objects he had in his room.

 

Tonight was one of the nights he lay, motionless with his eyes drifinting everywhere at once. He would catch sight of a single dust particle that would occupy his attention, until a bird made noise outside.

 

His attention span was that of a child when he couldn't sleep. After the bird, he would hear the the deep growl of passing cars.

 

Suddenly his phone vibrated, a notification for some random social media account. He picked it up and called the one person, rather two considering the other would obviously follow, that could ease him into sleep.

 

The line picked up with a mumble and some static on the line before a groggy, "Hello?"

 

"Dae? Its happening again."

 

That was all the words that had to be spoken, before Daehyun and Baekhyun jumped out of their bed and rushed over to the small studio that was built above the café.

 

As they were on the way the small child like boy went to stare at the moonlight. His eyes closed and he hoped his friends coups be of use.

 

Upon their arrival, they didn't knock, Baekhyun just grabbed the key hidden under the fake rock next to the plant Ms. Park gave him last year.

 

When they entered the bedroom, they saw Kyungsoo staring intently out the window. The stars twinkled and shed light on his milky white skin.

 

"Soo?" Baekhyun whispered, nervous he'd startle the smaller. At times like these he could be very jumpy.

 

"Almost 13 days this time. That's a record. Are you proud?" Kyungsoo whispered, a faint smile ghosting his lips.

 

"Wow. That's almost two weeks, Soo. We are proud. What about sleep?" Daehyun's voice held slight curiosity and worry.

 

"I've been awake for a week. Why can't I sleep Baek?" He asked, turning his head slowly with teary eyes.

 

"I don't know Soo. Maybe you were so used to you know who. Now you have us, though!" a tired smile stretched across Daehyun's face. He pulled Baekhyun towards the bed along with Kyungsoo.

 

"Come here you big baby. Sometimes I swear you're more needy then Tae, and he's only 4." Baekhyun joke, hugging both Kyungsoo, who was between the couple, and Daehyun who returned the hug to both.

 

"Ah, but you love me." Kyungsoo chuckled back. "Where did that ball of energy go anyway?"

 

His eyes closed and he snuggled deep into the blanket that emit body warmth and cozyness.

 

He heard Baekhyun whisper, "He has a friend from school and stayed the night over there," before the voice trailed off to silence.

 

He calmed his breathing and allowed sleep to overcome his senses.

 

Sooner or later, Daehyun and Baekhyun followed.

 

While everyone was asleep there was three people on the other side of town, so immersed in their coverstaion they hadnt even noticed the two figures in the shadow listening intently.

 

--- --- ---