Chapter 3

how'd you do that

When the light outside darkened, and the pitter patter softened, an old yellow taxi pulled up in front of a motel. The outside view wasn't anything too eye catching. The plain beige paint peeled from the corners, the windows were covered in multiple advertisement posters, and the office was an add on small building. 

 

After paying the taxi fare, a large figure stumbled from the backseat, retrieving his little baggage. the gruff voice of the taxi driver mumbled a soft "stay safe boy" before speeding away.

 

The murky air was thick and full of humidity. The man stared at the complex, exhausted. His large legs had been cramped for about 4 hours in the taxi and to hear a crack of his extending bones was satisfying to him.

 

Upon entering the office area, a shorter boy sat emotionless at the computer desk. He looked quite young, mid twenties, a chubby face, and a mop of dark purple and black hair.

 

From the back, another small man walked over and shook the others shoulders. His dark locks hung curly over his forehead, he has high cheek bones, and a concerned and stressed expression etched over his features.

 

"Min," he held out. "You can't sleep yet. You promised you would stay awake with me!" he whined, then pouted right after.

 

"Aish, Chennie I am. I just, can you me some coffee, at least?" The purple haired asked, pinching the standings cheeks.

 

"You're lucky I love you, you big sleepy head." 

 

"And you're lucky I love you, you big grumpy pants."

 

A deep chuckle filled the now quiet air. Both boys turned in the direction, their cheeks now being tinted a light pink.

 

The seated one of the two stood up and offered a hand. "Ah, I apologize for that. Ahem, I'm Minseok. That boy drinking my coffee, is Jongdae. And you are?" He asked, showing Jongdae an annoyed expression.

 

"Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol." his deep voice sounded velvety and smooth in the air.

 

"Well, what can we do for you, Chanyeol?" Jongdae asked, scrunching his face at the bitter tasting coffee.

 

Minseok then cut him off before he could say anything. "Holy , wait! Yoda?" Minseok asked looking to him, incredulously.

 

"Um, yeah.... Wait Xiumin?" Chanyeol asked using the same tone. 

 

They had been pen pals when Chanyeol moved out into the city. Despite his struggles, Chanyeol managed to survive on his own. Minseok knew all about it.

 

"Im assuming this is Chen?" he pointed to Jingdae who smile and bowed his head slightly.

 

"Yep. Now is there anything we can do for you Yoda?" Minseok asked.

 

"Are there any rooms? I need a temporary place to stay."

 

"Well, we have one, buts its next to ours. Its kinda in the bordered off part of all this. Y'know, staff area? But you don't seem like a murderer." Minseok chuckled. Chanyeol held a mysterious aura, yes, but it also held a glint of happiness as well. Minseok only knew part of the reason he'd left.

 

"I guess that's fine, you guys aren't loud right?" he asked pointing between them.

 

"U-um, I beg your p-pardon?" Jongdae stuttered. What was he on about?

 

"Well, if I'm going to be next to a couple, I'd prefer to know whether you guys are quiet, or if the walls are thin." Chanyeol stated bluntly.

 

"O-oh. Well the w-walls aren't thin. B-but Chanyeol ah, you don't h-have to worry about that." Both their cheeks held a deep crimson color.

 

Again, Chanyeol's deep chuckle filled the air. The two small males looked over to him, confused. 

 

"Oh, if you could see your faces right now!" he mused. It took a moment but they realized he was only joking. They soon joined in the laughter. "No, but really, a room next to yours is fine. Sorry for getting you flustered."

 

Jongdae grabbed his bags for him and brought him to the locked door. After Minseok unlocked it they brought him down a hallway. The lights were dim and it smelled faintly of coffee. After a few strides, the boys stopped in front of two doors. Minseok slid a key in the door on the right, forcefully pushing it open.

 

Inside the floors were carpeted with an older brown carpet. the back wall held a bay window with burgundy curtains, and their was a couch next to a love seat. In the kitchen area, sleek silver was everywhere. There was a sink that held few dishes, a black and white microwave under multiple baby blue cabinets. The drawers were a lighter shade of blue, almost white. 

 

The bedroom had the same beige carpeting. It held a queen sized bed, two small dressers, and a small closet space.

 

"This place is awesome. How much do I need to pay?" Chanyeol asked, pulling his wallet from his pocket.

 

"Oh no, nothing really. Anything for a friend!" Jongdae said. When Minseok smirked and looked at Chanyeol he said, "Just tell us why you left."

 

Sighing Chanyeol stated, "Alright. I guess I'll start from the beginning."

 

--- --- ---