Untitled

The Cure is You

Umji, still beaming from Eunha's sweetness and their parting kiss, momentarily forgot about everything that happened. She forgot that Sinb just found out about Sowon, she forgot that Jackson had just got in a fight with Yerin and tried to break Sinb's confidence, she even forgot that her and Sinb hadn't spoken in weeks. But seeing Sinb on her bed made everything play through her head like a bad movie. Her smile slowly got smaller until her lips barely curved upwards. Sinb looked like she was between crying and laughing and Umji wasn't sure about the best way of comforting her.

"I think this is my wildest birthday yet... but also my favorite." Umji thought she had made the right move of starting with a positive but Sinb let tears run down her face seconds after she giggled at Umji's statement.

"I can't Umji. All I do is screw things up. Sowon wanted to die because of me. Yerin got punched in the face because of me and you... Umji I didn't talk to you for weeks and then I messed your birthday. None of you guys deserve to deal with me and my mess I'm so sorry... to all of you. You could be with your girlfriend but I asked you to stay here and what kind of friend am I for not even knowing you were da-"

"Sinb-ya relax and breathe." Umji grabbed Sinb's hand as the older girl used the other to wipe her tears. "You gave Sowon something to live for. Not to mention Yerin owes you because I bet that her and Yuju now have an excuse to be around each other more. And Sinb I've been a bad friend too... Jackson... did he ever yell at you like he did tonight ?" Umji's tone was soft as if she didn't want to know the answer but Sinb just shrugged. 

"I don't-He... I have a bruise on my hips but we've never talked about Sowon. I was too drunk to." Sinb winced a little as she thought of the idea of how much she had changed for the worse went through her head. Being heartbroken didn't excuse how much she had spiraled, she barely even felt like herself anymore making more tears fall. 

"Yuju said to wrap bruises and ice them before so we can do that tonight." Sinb nodded and laid down in Umji's lap making the younger one laugh. "You know when Sowon told me about how much she wanted to search for you I laid in her lap like this minus the tears. You have to tell her something Sinb. How do you feel ?" There was a pause, even Sinb's breathing seemed to stop as Umji as the question.

"I don't know... we both got hurt so bad."

"That doesn't answer anything. Do you love her ? And don't ramble or avoid it. It's me. If you love her why don't you be with her ?"

"I am in love with her. It never stopped but Umji-"

"Yah shut up. You two are the same. You want to put each other's happiness first but the reason you're both so up set is because you aren't together. Tell her because she'll wait for you forever." Sinb knew that Umji was right. Sowon had waited all this time for her even when Sinb didn't deserve it. Umji let her words set in to her friend before Sinb broke the silence again. 

"Wait Umji you're always there for me but how are you with Eunha ? That's her name right ? God I barely even know her name. I'm sorry." Umji smiled at Sinb's attempt of lightheadedness.

"Go call Sowon... then I'll tell you about Eunha." Sinb started to argue that she could call Sowon tomorrow but Umji ran to the bathroom saying she wouldn't come out until after the two had talked. As amused as Sinb was by the sight of Umji running to the bathroom as if she was in a race, she knew the young girl was just as stubborn as her and qould sleep in the bathroom if necessary. Picking up the phone Sinb took a breath closed her eyes calling Sowon.

~~~~~~

The four girls stopped beside the river and piled outside the car. The three smaller girls laid on the hood while Sowon leaned against the car. There was enough room for them all to fit, but Sowon claimed she couldn't sit still while her mind was racing. They relaxed in silence for a long time, long enough that when Sowon looked to her left at the trio, they all had seemed to fallen asleep. Smiling, she pulled out her phone to capture the moment. Yuju and Yerin were resting on each other and Yerin's hand around Eunha made it seem as if she was their child. After a series of pictures to get the right one, Yerin opened her eyes and looked at her surroundings. Sowon was trying not to laugh at how much Yerin seemed to panic when she turned her head and was met with Yuju's laying on her shoulder. Somehow she had managed to escape her position between the Eunha and Yuju,  signaling Sowon to follow her to the riverbank.

"Penny for your thoughts Sowon unnie ?"

"We can't afford for you to be paying people for their thoughts Yerin-ssi." They laughed at Sowon's terrible joke before gazing to each other and then back to the river. "It's the same thing. Sinb, me and Sinb, but now just... what if after all of this, me hiding my surgery, her changes, and Jackson... What if she can't do a relationship with me or we have to pause us ?"

"Would you wait ? If you knew she needed time would you give it to her ?"

"Of course I would. Yerin you know this but no matter how much I wait I broke her. I broke her and no matter what I can't take it back but Yerin -"

"Sowon, " Yerin grabbed Sowon's hands to make her face her. "You did break her." Sowon winced at how when Yerin said it, the pain hurt more but Sowon held in her tears. "You broke her but you didn't break the bond you two have. That's what is irreplaceable. That is what keeps you two going. I doubt Sinb can ever want to be with someone else because they aren't you." Yerin squeezed Sowon's hand and looked back towards the river.

"Yuju can give you that Yerin. She likes you aa lot Yerinnie. You pushed me towards Sinb now it's my turn." Just as Yerin was going to respond Sowon's phone started ringing and she saw it was an unknown number. Not thinking Sowon went to hang up when Yerin grabbed her hand.

"Sinb you dummy. It's probably her."

"Oh... I can call her back though Yerin. Listen-"

"One thing at a time. Answer her this is long overdue and I PROMISE we will talk about me and Yuju ok ? I might even plan a way to ask her out." Yerin held out her pinky and Sowon linked then together as she answered her phone. Yerin made her way back to the car and Sowon found herself consumed by the sound of Sinb simply breathing as both lines stayed silent.

"... Sowon... um hi." Sowon smiled at the simple word and it made her feel butterflies.

"Hi Sinb..."

"Hi."

"You said that already HwangBi hahaha"

"I just... you make it really hard to think sometimes. And breathe. Sowon you make it really hard for me." Sowon was unsure of what to say. She knew that Sinb had meant tons of things by that statement. Sowon's hesitation gave Sinb another chance to speak even though something in her felt like she didn't need to. "You also make it really easy for me to know what I want too."

"Sinb I can't say sorry enough and I understand-"

"I want you Sowon." They both stayed silent for a moment Sowon was trying to make sure she heard correctly and Sinb hd resorted to holding her breathe. Seconds passed like hours before Sowon spoke after opening and closing multiple times. 

"I- You... Me ? You want me again ?"

"Yes but I need... Can we start over, from the beginning,  from friends ? I still l-care about you but I feel so much when I think of trying to continue us but I know I feel more when I'm not in your presence."

"Sinb of course I'm willing to start over. Even if we are just friends you mean the world to me." Sowon smiled as she spoke. She knew Sinb wasn't one to open up so she was pleased just to know explicitly what was on her mind. Sinb was cursing herself over her almost slip-up. She knew she still loved Sowon but there was only so much she could manage at once. Nonetheless Sinb wore a matching smile through the phone. "Thank you B-ya. For giving me another chance"

"Thank you for understanding. I have to go get Umji but can we go out tomorrow... as friends ?"

"It's a date... a friends date." Sinb laughed at Sowon tripping over her words before they both said their goodbyes. Sowon stayed on the riverbank for a moment smiling to herself. She knew it'd be hard to be around Sinb sometimes because she was madly in love with the girl. But Sinb did say she felt something which was enough. Sowon got up and walked back to the car seeing Yerin in the driver's seat and Yuju and Eunha in the back. She smiled at her friends as she got in but Yuju seemed to have given a half smile and Eunha put her hand on her leg and squeezed.

"Hey Yuju you ok ?" Sowon, who was kinda confused as to why the three had went from cute and falling asleep together, to quiet and almost uncomfortable, turned the face the girl who just shook her head. 

"We are taking her home Sowon. It's alright." Yerin answered for Sowon glancing into the rear-view mirror and looking at Yuju. Yuju felt Yerin's eyes on her but refused to look back at the girl. Sowon looked at Eunha to be some kind of help but the small girl just mouthed later and that would have to be enough as they drived in silence.

~~~

"UMJI-YA GET OUT THE BATHROOM I CALLED HER NOW TELL ME ABOUT EUNHA." Umji's snickering could be heard as she unlocked the door and walked towards Sinb holding bandges in her hands. She wrapped Sinb's waist and scowled at the purple tint. As she finished.

"I heard you say you wanted to be friends. You should've-"

"I can't remeber the last time I didn't get drunk to bed before tonight Umji. I changed and she could have too. I didn't just say it to void her. I'm afraid." Sinb's words sat in the room with them hauntingly. Sinb had been a mess since they broke up. A lot of things she used to enjoy she hasn't done in ages. Umji nodded her head before smiling.

"I'm proud you made a good decision for the both of you. But now will you make one for us and get popcorn so I can tell you about Eunha?" Sinb ran to get the popcorn, genuinely interested in the story. She came back and they both sat on the bed, Umji recalling every detail and Sinb enthralled in the story. 

"I totally get to give the best friend talk right ?" Umji laughed and in turn made Sinb laughed. Their laughter consumed the room and when it died they continued talking with smiles on their faces. They threw popcorn into each other's mouths, making a complete mess because of Sinb's bad aim, and then laid down together smiling. 

"I love you Omuji." Sinb turned to face her and Umji nodded her head back with here eyes closed letting the sleep sink in. 

"I love you too Sinb. You're my best friend and that will nevee change. "