Friends in Unexpected Places

The Cure is You

Umji hated the word "almost". In school she would always remember people crying about how they almost made it on the team. Sinb sometimes would say she was almost as good of a dancer as this idol named Momo who Sinb was completely fascinated with. (Even though Umji was sure Sinb had surpassed the rising star's talent years ago). But worst of all an almost had destroyed her best friend and the girl she was in love with.

"So instead of letting her be there with you in case you died you pushed her away?"

"I wanted her to hate me so if... when... I died she wouldn't have cared."

"Wow... you're dumb... caring but dumb."

Sowon almost glared at the girl but the look in Umji's eyes was a mix of happiness and determination which slightly concerned the older girl because she didn't understamd where her mind had just went. 

"You have to tell her." Umji said it as if it was the most obvious thing in the world and that was the second time Sowon wanted to slam her head on the table. The first was when Umji tried to gauge her seriousness about Sinb by saying that the two young girls had kissed on multiple occasions.

"I tried that. She doesnt want to talk to me plus Jackson is now in the picture and if she's happy-"

"Yah stop being so dense for 5 minutes. She's not happy without you." Umji decided not to bring up Jackson because she wasn't really sure how Sinb was going to make this one work out and she didn't want to fully betray her. "Sowon, Sinb hasnt been the same since you broke up and even so... be selfish. Don't you want to at least try to be happy again with her."

"I think without Sinb... the days don't really have a point. If she's not with me... I'm completely alone."

"I get it you love her but as your best friend I dont even get a little love ? Ouch." Yerin's voice cut off Sowon's reflection time as she sat next to Umji. Eunha soon followed sitting beside Sowon and unconsciously stared at Umji.

"Umji I haven't seen you in years." Yerin kissed Umji's cheek making the youngest laugh. Yerin was always the highlight of any gathering because of her lively spirit and the two got along well especially with Yerin's dramatic reenactment of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" from The Lion King when their best friends were dating. 

"The cute little baby, who is somehow a year older than you,  is Eunha." Umji looked in her direction and saw that she was already staring at Umji making her blush. Sowon lightly elbowed Eunha to silently scold her making Eunha snap out of it.

"I'm Eunha and you're pretty." Sowon cringed and Yerin tried not to laugh but the other two just turned red not knowing how to carry on in this situation.

"So Pretty" Yerin's attempt at a joke was met with a kick under the table from Eunha which she simply ignored. "Because Sowon has to go to the doctor's in an hour, do you think that you could try to convince Sinb to at least hear her out later? Her idea was idiotic but she really did come from the right place." Yerin smiled at her best friend and Umji understood that Yerin was in the same position as her. Having your best friend heartbroken was hard to deal with, not to mention Yerin also believed that Sowon wasn't going to make it through her surgery.

"Of course. Sinb can be stubborn but I can get her to listen. " As they began leaving the café Sowon surprised them all by pulling Umji into a hug.

"Thank you for everything Umji-ya." Umji initially didn't know how to react but slowly put her arms around Sowon. 

"Just don't be dumb anymore ok ? The both of you might give me a headache of you two don't smarten up." All four of them laughed as the two pulled away. Umji exchanged numbers with all three girls, Eunha and Umji looked like school crushes talking for the first time and through the duration it took them to swap numbers, Sowon and Yerin laughed so hard they thought they'd have abs. Eventually they did all part ways with the three girls in Yerin's car and Umji walking to Sinb's apartment.

"So Eunha" Sowon looked at Eunha's reflection in the mirror from the driver's seat and the latter groaned making Yerin laugh again. "Wanna explain why you couldn't control yourself around Umji?"

"That's... that's her." Eunha said making the other pasengers's eyes go wide. Sowon turned around to look at Eunha forgetting she was driving down a busy street before Eunha yelled at her to grab the wheel. But of course as Sowon turned around Yerin turned around which might have been worse for the girl than the car crashing.

"So you're telling me after all this time it was Umji ? Now you can put a name to the face. This is fate you're like the last piece of the puzzle to gelp us fix Sowon and Sinb." Yerin received a punch from the driver at the mention of her name but Sowon nodded her head. 

"This is fate Eunha. You should defiently ask ger out."

"Guys I literally blurted out she was pretty and could barely type in her number she thinks I'm a creep."

"Eunha she kept blushing and she stuttered when saying her number to you. Its like how Yerin is when she talks to my incredibly young nurse Yuju." Sowon parked the car and walked inside the building she had become so used to due to her weekly visits with her two friends following her.

"I do not stutter when I see Yu- H-Hi Yuju-ssi." Yerin bowed to Yuju making Sowon and Eunha clutch their stomachs in lauughter. Yuju simply chuckled before putting her hand on Yerin's shoulder. "Yerin hello also you know it's more odd to bow to me right ? But its cute." Yerin turned red to face away from her laughing friends muttering that she'd attack then later. 

"Here are your vitamins and prescriptions for your heart. You already know all the mandatory things like how much to take and when right ? Or is Yerin's forgetfulness wearing off on you?" Sowon smiled as she took the items from Yuju.

"Yerin is only forgetful like this when it come to you. " Yuju slightly blushed at Sowon's words before looking at Yerin who was now trying to strangle Sowon with her eyes.

"I'm grateful to hear that. It'd be ashame is she was like this to everyone else. I'll see you next week." Yuju said excusing herself.

"If I kill you two in a hospital then they can help you so I'd still be a good friend." Yerin said as the trio left Yuju's office to which the other two just giggled before grabbing each other's hands and running to the car.

~~~

Umji arrived at Sinb's apartment to find her in the phone smiling to herself. "Umji-ya I have a date with Jackson oppa tonight." Umji choked on air after hearing Sinb's words and her friend laughed at her.

"Omo it's ok he knows about what I said and was really sweet about it."

"You can't go."