Avoidance

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

Taeyeon had not seen Tiffany for a week. Avoidance was the belief Taeyeon lived with but something about the lack of Tiffany's presence in the apartment sent a pang of guilt. Tiffany's disappearance left a void and Taeyeon spent most of her time completing her transcriptions in various café and libraries. To her annoyance, it was unproductive and Taeyeon regretfully requested for an extra month. Unwilling but satisfied with the work that Taeyeon had submitted, her boss granted her request. 

Sighing, Taeyeon removed her shoes and flipped the light switch. As usual, the silence greeted her and Taeyeon felt the guilt bounced off the walls. Rubbing her neck, Taeyeon saw the wilted leaves of a potted plant she displayed on the shelf. She raked her hair after examining the pot of plant- a wave of emotions washed over her. Was it regret, empathy or guilt? A sinking feeling that Taeyeon had neglected something, she stepped into the lobby again, slipped on her shoes and headed out. 

Juhyun was astonished to receive Taeyeon's call. In the midst of having dinner with a friend, she invited Taeyeon over to join them at the restaurant. Im Yoona, one year Taeyeon's junior, had an optimistic and warm personality. Bowing politely, Taeyeon stiffly sat beside Juhyun and decided to have a light snack. She darted her eyes around as Yoona confidently stuck her hand out. In a short frame of an hour, Taeyeon had comfortably leaned into the chair and barely stifled a laughter at Yoona's witty comments. Juhyun had a mock scowl on her face.

"Seo Juhyun," Yoona teased in a firm voice, "How did you have such a cool friend like Taeyeon unnie?"

"Unnie? Are you serious? I don't even call her that."

"This is how ungrateful she has been." Taeyeon shook her head.

"Poor unnie," Yoona clicked her tongue. "Taeyeon unnie, do you want to be my friend instead?"

"I guess we already are." 

Taeyeon chuckled when Yoona winked greasily. Juhyun rolled her eyes. 

"Lighten up, Hyun-ah!"

"Whatever," Juhyun took a glance at her phone and gasped. "I need to go."

Juhyun hurriedly grabbed her coat and bag, leaving Taeyeon and Yoona who stared at her in surprise.

"I'm sorry, I promise it will be my treat next time. Yoona, please send Taeyeon back. Bye!" The remaining duo threw a glance at her retreating back and stared at each other. Yoona chortled and Taeyeon jerked back in alarm at the uncanny noises escaping . Infectious, Taeyeon's shoulders trembled as she giggled into her hand. They left the restaurant with Yoona gratefully thanking Taeyeon who paid for the food. Taeyeon took up the offer and slide into Yoona's car, smiling as she the leather seat. Yoona's taste in cars definitely sits with her. 

"Unnie, where is your house?" The question wiped the smile off Taeyeon's face immediately. Yoona recognized the hesitance on her face. 

"Well... the night is still young and I'm still a little hungry. Do you mind accompanying me?" Taeyeon's exhaled the breath she was holding and her shoulders drooped. 

"Sure," Yoona heard the relief in Taeyeon's voice and started her drive to a convenient store. She bought a slice of cake and two cans of beer, munching silently as they sat in the car. 

"You look troubled, unnie."

"Uh," Taeyeon took a swig from her can. She darted her eyes from the window to Yoona's inquisitive eyes and to the window again. 

"It's okay if you don't want to talk."

"No, it's just..." Taeyeon cleared . "You know sometimes in life, we experienced something bad and is afraid to do it again?" 

Yoona nodded in understanding. 

"I... There is someone that I didn't like. I pushed her away because seeing her reminded me of something uncomfortable." Taeyeon took another sip out of her can. "But strangely, it didn't make me feel relieved. 'It's better to avoid what I dislike' - that is how I've survived till today. I'm starting to have doubts." 

"I had such an experience, unnie." Yoona the cream off her finger. 

"There was a girl in high school whom I really detest. Her personality reminded me of the cousin my mom always compares me to. My cousin had amazing grades, is beautiful, talented, athletic and she was my relatives' pride. I hated her because she was everything I didn't have." 

"This girl in school was exactly like her. In the beginning, I avoided her whenever it is possible. As if fate is playing a prank on us, we were assigned to a project together and... let's say the things I did were silly. I purposely failed the project, stole her assignments and poured a cup of juice into her bag." Yoona had a guilty smile on her face when she saw Taeyeon's expression. 

"I know, it was immature of me. But one day, she took my hands and told me that she really liked me as a friend. I thought it was really stupid of her so I yelled at her in front of the whole class. I called her names and said nasty remarks. I didn't see her in school for a week. I thought it would make me happy; getting rid of what I didn't like seeing. However, it made me uncomfortable, like how you are feeling right now." There was a pause as the duo drank the remaining beer from their cans.

"When I told Juhyun, guess what she said?"

"I'm expecting some huge theory there." Taeyeon chuckled. 

"Amazingly, no. She whacked me with her Literature textbook- you know how thick that thing is?" Yoona gestured and Taeyeon gaped at her. 

"How can you be so petty? Did she do you any wrong? Just because she is like your cousin, you bullied her because of it? Just because you had a bad experience with your cousin, you vented all your unhappiness on her! Why am I your friend? Are you stupid?" Yoona mimicked Juhyun's voice. Taeyeon clenched her jaw and looked at her hands.

"It made me realized how selfish, immature and ignorant I have been. I had made a connection with someone I disliked with someone who is innocent. Somehow, it just happens like that. You start to detest similar things even if they are not the source of it."

Yoona stole a glance at the solemn brunette at the back of her car through the rear mirror.

"I visited her place and apologized to her afterward. We spent some time together and after a while, I realized that she is very different from my cousin." Yoona unlocked her phone with a click and scrolled through her photographs. She showed Taeyeon a picture of a laughing brunette holding a cake, "Her name is Yuri and we are friends now."

"A word of advice, unnie. It's better to confront someone or something instead of running away. It becomes a habit over time when we run away from the problems we face. Usually, it is easier to ignore it than to solve it."  Taeyeon bit her lips, "Problems don't solve themselves but rather, it piles up and suffocates you."

"Where should we go now, unnie?" Yoona asked when she heard Taeyeon sigh after minutes of silence.

"Home,' Taeyeon whispered. "I'll go home."