Cohabitation II

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

"Taeyeon-ssi, the pizza delivery man is here!"

"Taeyeon-ssi, the water is boiling!"

"Taeyeon-ssi, welcome home!"

Accustomed to living alone, Taeyeon realized she relied on Tiffany more than she expected. There was a rowdy bunch of teenagers outside her apartment last night; throwing stones and jeering loudly at Taeyeon for living in a haunted apartment. One of the glass windows shattered and Taeyeon wrapped the blanket around herself in her room upstairs.

"Taeyeon-ssi," Tiffany stayed with Taeyeon in her room as she trembled. "I will be back soon."

"Where are you going?"

"Downstairs, wait!" Tiffany replied. "It's okay, I'm a ghost so I can go anywhere I want!"

Taeyeon nodded to herself under the blanket, her ears pricked in alertness to the fading noises. 

"They are gone now. It is okay." Tiffany's head popped up from the ground and Taeyeon swallowed.

"You could check one of the drawers there," Tiffany pointed to the study desk. "I might have a name card for home repairs."

Taeyeon dug through the dusty papers and indeed, found an old name card. A fatherly-looking man fixed Taeyeon's broken window in no time the next morning.

"It feels good to be back here," he said with a warm smile as Taeyeon offered him a cup of tea. I used to fix a few parts for a young lady who used to stay here- Miyoung, I think. I wonder where she went."

Taeyeon flashed a tight-lidded smile. 

"I know those rascals who did this. Rest assured this won't happen again, Taeyeon-ssi. Feel free to call me anytime," Taeyeon gratefully thanked the man who left a tingling warmth when he shook her hand.

She stole a side glance and saw Tiffany waving despite the old man wasn't able to see her. 

Taeyeon realized that Tiffany was an unpleasant existence that made her felt comfortable.

They were getting along pretty well these couple of days. Tiffany watched her with curiosity as Taeyeon hammered the nail into the plank. 

Wiping her drenched forehead, Tiffany cheered as Taeyeon lean the new shelf against the wall. Tiffany gasped in awe as Taeyeon arranged a few potted plants and little trinkets, immediately brightening the atmosphere in the house.

"I didn't know you could do things like this," Tiffany's voice was laced with admiration. Taeyeon had a small yet proud smile on her face as Tiffany reached out to touch the plants.

"It was a hobby that I had but gave up," Taeyeon said, "It comes in useful every now and then."

"It makes you happy," Tiffany replied with a smile of her own, "I can hear it in your voice."

"Ah, it did?" Taeyeon said modestly, hiding her surprise that Tiffany could hear that. "I'm used to staying alone so no one has really seen me doing anything like this before."

"Why did you suddenly decided to do this? You will be leaving in a year."

"A year is a long time," Taeyeon said. "Sometimes I work from home and I wanted to create a space that I enjoy being in."

"I like it," Tiffany genuinely responded. "It makes me feel at home." Taeyeon had a small blush that stayed on her face as she busied herself with the tools. Taeyeon saw her squatting at the plateau when she finished clearing up the debris an hour later.

"What are you doing over there?"

"Look, here!" Tiffany excitedly pointed. "Shh! There is a dog under! I think it is pregnant."

Taeyeon quietly strolled to where Tiffany was pointing and bent over. A scruffy mongrel was crouching under the wooden platform; panting heavily with a bulging midsection. She growled and snapped at Tiffany's hand when the brunette reached out for it.

"There used to be squirrels, stray cats and once, a toad," Tiffany said. "I saw this tabby cat gave birth once. She had three kittens."

Taeyeon recalled that she had not seen any fauna roaming her backyard since she moved in a month ago. Did they all leave because of her? Taeyeon felt a ping of sympathy for Tiffany- how was she still able to smile brightly despite the loneliness? 

Taeyeon left Tiffany at the plateau who was now speaking to the dog calmly. She retrieved two bowls from the cabinet. Taeyeon placed a few bones she kept for broth in one and the other with water. 

"I like dogs," Tiffany said as soon as Taeyeon was within earshot, "I used to have a dog in California. His name is Prince."

"I like dogs, too," Taeyeon laid the bowl down and Tiffany gave her an absurd look. Tiffany looked away and giggled, her body trembling as she laughed.

"What?"

"If you really like dogs, you will know that they don't eat bones, Taeyeon-ssi," Tiffany said with a smile and Taeyeon felt her face warmed.

"What should I give her?"

"Hm. Do you have any chicken? You can give her some chicken. Without bones, " Taeyeon dumbly nodded, still embarrassed and stood up.

"Taeyeon-ssi?"

"What else does she need?"

"Nothing. I just want to say thank you." Tiffany beamed at her gratefully and Taeyeon found out that Tiffany had a beautiful pair of eyes that arched into mesmerizing crescents.