Encounter II

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

"Let's meet up at Dosan Park." 

Tiffany caught a glimpse of the message and Taeyeon hastily pocketed her phone with a frown. Taeyeon saved the document she was working on and shut her laptop.

"Are you going somewhere?" Tiffany questioned and the brunette swerved around. 

"I'll be back by noon," Taeyeon answered and begun to pack necessity into her bag.

Tiffany didn't want to probe- nodding instead and silently hovered around Taeyeon as she got ready to leave the apartment. Taeyeon flashed her an apologetic smile.

"See you later." Tiffany couldn't shake off the sinister feeling that lurks within her; a deep-gutted feeling that made her pace the apartment in worry. She pressed her face against the windows instead and waited for Taeyeon to come home. 

Taeyeon swallowed and clasped her hands together nervously as she alighted at the station. She was slightly earlier than the appointed time and Taeyeon deliberately took her time to reach the park. There was an ominousness feeling she couldn't shake off as she bowed to the blonde perched on the bench. 

"Taeyeon- ssi," Sunny greeted and Taeyeon took her hand politely. 

"You realized that by meeting me is a way of admitting that you see my sister, right?"

"You already know that and there is no meaning in denying it," Taeyeon replied.

"Since you're Tiffany's sister, I just wanted her to move on without regrets."

"Regrets," Sunny echoed.

"How do I know if it's the same person we are talking about?" 

"Here," Taeyeon took out a drawing of Tiffany, carefully folded between her notebook, "That's her right?"

"You're drawing is not bad for a writer." 

"I don't think I have ever told you I'm a writer," Taeyeon said warily, her eyelids twitched with forebodement.

"It doesn't matter," Sunny had a smile on her face that made goosebumps rise on Taeyeon's arms. "Let's talk about my sister."

"About that. Tiffany- I would like you to meet her."

"How is she?"

"I don't know how to answer that but, she is understanding."

"She is still the same, isn't it? Always caring about others, putting others first and understanding. Pretty smile, prominent features, and a great figure. Such a charming lady, my little sister."

"I'm not acquainted with her previously- when she is alive but you're not wrong. She is pretty much like that." Taeyeon frowned at the sardonic tone of Sunny's voice.

"Does she know you are here today?"

"No, I didn't tell her."

"That is extremely brilliant of you, Taeyeon- ssi." Sunny halted in front of Taeyeon. Taeyeon observed the surrounding and it took a moment for her to register that she has never ventured to this secluded area of the park before. Sunny let out a sound of amusement. 

"You know, Tiffany was always so well loved by our family. She has the looks, she has the brains, she has an amazing connection with people and she outshines everyone else." 

"She is waiting for you," Taeyeon diverted and Sunny snorted. 

"I'm waiting for her too. She was my sister and I love her. Which is why I killed her," Sunny's smile widened and Taeyeon gasped in horror. 

"I changed her sleeping pills to another presciption with a higher dosage. I knew she needed them every night before we left the States and I changed all of them." 

Taeyeon stumbled back when Sunny's gaze fell on her with a glint; a frenzied expression framing her features.

"I knew this bookworm would diligently adhere to the doctors' instructions and once the side effect kicks in, she would consume even more to nurse that headache. I'm humane enough to let her die alone."

Taeyeon thought about Tiffany who was left alone in the apartment and probably waiting for her to go home. She could imagine the agony on Tiffany's face if she knew the truth. Taeyeon suddenly realized that confronting an issue isn't always an ideal solution and she wished that she had never contacted Sunny. 

"She should stay dead, that sister of mine. Even after death, she is causing me trouble."

"You shouldn't be saying that," Taeyeon retorted with a clenched jaw. Sunny's palm met Taeyeon's cheek with a loud smack. 

"You don't know how it is like to live in her shadow. Although I'm older than her, I'm treated like the worst."

"Even after death, she is causing me so much misery." Sunny's palm met Taeyeon's cheek with a violent impact that caused the brunette to sprawl on the rocky ground.

"Maybe you should tell her about me. I wonder how she would feel if she knew this about her dear old sister."

Sunny hovered over Taeyeon with a mocking smirk.

"Your sister loved her so much that she hated her. The sister that you loved her so much was the one who killed you."

Taeyeon breathed heavily, the fresh cut on her lip with a hiss.

"Leave that house, Taeyeon- ssi. No one will believe you even if you tell the police. No one will believe in a person who sees spirits." 

Taeyeon pushed herself off the ground and ran along the path out of the park. Sunny's laughter echoed after her footsteps.

"Run, Taeyeon- ssi. Run and don't return to that place again or I'll make sure your life is a misery."

Taeyeon pulled her cardigan tighter around herself as she stepped into the train, averting her eyes from the inquisitive stares from the commuters. She stumbled and quickened her steps all the way home, opening the door to a wide-eyed Tiffany waiting for her. Taeyeon halted and stared at Tiffany whose expression changed from relief to surprise and worry in a split second. 

"Taeyeon! You are hurt! What-

Tiffany wore an astonished expression when Taeyeon walked right through her.

"Taeyeon..."

"Please." Taeyeon pleaded with a sigh and locked the bedroom door behind her. She sunk down on the cold floor, akin to the harshness of the reality and leaned heavily against the wooden door.

"You are hurt." Tiffany's muffled voice rang from behind the oak barrier. 

"I'm okay."

"You promised to be honest."

"It's an accident. I fell on the way back. I'm going to wash up and rest."

Taeyeon buried her face in her palms. There were other things to worry about besides Sunny- she didn't know how to face Tiffany again.

Even behind locked doors, she couldn't tell Tiffany the truth.

Nothing has really changed, she thought. Taeyeon was still the same- running from her problems and Taeyeon remembered that all the relationships she ever had were built on lies. 

That's the thing about knowing the truth; a candid relationship that was established would not be the same again.