Get Along II

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

"Ginger?"

"That's Ginger."

"Ginger?" Tiffany questioned again and Taeyeon threw a glance at her direction.

"Ginger suits his dark brown fur. Is there a problem?" Taeyeon would have shoved her if she could when Tiffany's face contorted in disgust. 

"Nothing. What about the other two?"

"I was thinking you could name one."

"The female?"

"You decide."

"I don't know," Tiffany had that grimness on her face again.

"That," Taeyeon announced, pointing at the smallest of the litter, "That is Prince."

"Taeyeon- ssi," Tiffany's expression softened, "You didn't have too."

"That is Prince." 

Tiffany shook her head, knowing that Taeyeon wouldn't relent. Her stubbornness was the first trait that Tiffany learned from the brunette. 

"What about her?" 

Taeyeon looked at the puppy, flopped over with her limbs in the air and belted a high pitched yawn. She looked over to Tiffany and in an instant, they named her together.

"Serendipity."

Tiffany heard Taeyeon laughed brightly for the first time that day and her pride soared knowing that Taeyeon is opening up to her. It was a miracle for her- as if she was born and has died to meet Taeyeon. Tiffany knew that it was inevitable she would rely on Taeyeon and wished that Taeyeon would learn to do the same too. 

"You are staring."

"Oh," Tiffany bit her tongue, "Taeyeon-ssi?"

"Yes?"

"Do you know my name?"

"Of course," Taeyeon frowned, "You told me didn't you?"

"I've never heard you call me by my name."

"I'll do that if only you stop being so polite to me. We are technically the same age, Tiffany." Taeyeon replied. She was greeted with a genuine smile- with curved eyes and a row of white teeth and Taeyeon thought it was a miracle. Learning to lean on another, Taeyeon thought, I can do that. 

"Do you really like it that much?" 

"I haven't heard anyone saying my name for a while," Tiffany admitted remorsefully.

"I will do that if you drop the formality."

"It's a deal... Taeyeon."

Taeyeon pretty much liked the way her name rolls off Tiffany's English accented Korean, accompanied with the faint hue on Tiffany's cheeks that never seem to fade.

Within a week, Taeyeon had a cupboard stocked up with dog feed, a milk bottle, some new bowls and a new shed sitting in her backyard. 

Tiffany learned more of Taeyeon's peeves, quirks and habits eventually. Tiffany knew better than to laugh when Taeyeon ordered chicken and soda to celebrate her project completion later that week. 

Taeyeon sighed into her first bite of chicken and Tiffany stifled a giggle. 

"You promised you won't laugh."

"I'm not laughing at that."

"You are," Taeyeon had a scowl on her face as she bit into her chicken again and Tiffany hid her face behind her hands.

"You're laughing at me again." 

"I'm sorry, wait wait," Tiffany's shoulders trembled as she reached out. "It's just..."

Taeyeon froze and Tiffany's smile faltered as her thumb slipped through Taeyeon's chin. 

"I got it."

Taeyeon picked up a tissue to wipe her lips. She pushed herself off the ground and moved away momentarily because Tiffany's expression was something she couldn't tolerate- a sinking realization that Tiffany wasn't human after all. Tiffany wrapped her arms around her knees and stared blankly at the television. 

Taeyeon exhaled audibly as she closed the apartment door with a click behind her. Wedged between her door and the frame, Taeyeon picked up the name card that fluttered to the ground in the evening breeze. She took an extra glance at it and dialed the number on it. If there is anything she could do, Taeyeon could learn to stop avoiding her fears and help Tiffany to move on without any regrets. 

"Hello? This is Taeyeon."