Truth

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

Taeyeon gawked at the two visitors at her door, darting her glances from their faces to the basket in their hands. 

"Taeyeon? Who's that?"

Taeyeon closed the door behind her. She took hurried steps into the kitchen, untied her apron and placed the wooden spatula down. 

"Fany-ah," Taeyeon whispered with an urgency, "They are here."

"Who?"

"Oh my god, I closed the door on them." Taeyeon scampered to the door and Tiffany hovered behind her in confusion. Taeyeon wiped her palms on her shirt and opened the door with a nervous smile. 

"That's very nice of you, Taeyeon unnie." Yoona teased. Juhyun let out a noise through her nose. Taeyeon clenched her jaw.

"Aren't you gonna welcome us in?" Taeyeon stepped aside to let the duo through, throwing a side glance at Tiffany who wore confusion on her face. 

"This place is nice," Yoona whistled.

"Thank you," Taeyeon ushered them into the hall and gestured for them to take a seat on the couch. Taeyeon didn't fail to notice the tense expression on Juhyun's face as she subtly observed the apartment. Tiffany stayed close to Taeyeon who rummaged her pantry for cups. Taeyeon nodded at her with reaffirmation, poured juice into the cups served her guests. Yoona gratefully accepted the cups and handed one to Juhyun who muttered a quick gratitude. 

"Is she here?" Yoona asked and Taeyeon glance in Tiffany's direction with a reassuring smile.

"Yes. Yes, she is."

"Hello Tiffany unnie, I'm Im Yoona. You can just call me Yoona." Yoona grinned and angled her arm, "Can I..."

Tiffany's shoulders drooped in relaxation and flashed a smile at Taeyeon. She reached over and gently placed her hand in Yoona's.

"Nice to meet you, Yoona."

"She shook your hand and she said it's nice to meet you."

There was an awkward silence when Yoona retracted her hand. Taeyeon had never imagined introducing someone she adores to her friends would create an atmosphere like this. She wanted it to be a happy moment. Juhyun fidgeted nervously in her seat and Yoona nudged her. Juhyun retaliated and Yoona gave her a particularly hard shove. Juhyun gave Yoona a withering glare. 

"What..." Taeyeon interrupted them, "What are you doing here?"

"We have never seen your apartment so I thought it would be nice to visit. Plus, we haven't seen you since you got discharged. We just wanted to make sure that you are okay." Taeyeon didn't know what to make of this sentence, knowing that Yoona was implying something else. 

"I'm doing well, so thank you," Taeyeon replied nonchalantly. 

"I have something for... you but," Yoona paused. Tiffany understood what it meant. 

"I'll be upstairs, Taeyeon. Take your time."

"No," Taeyeon stopped her. "Can Tiffany stay?"

"It's actually about her. And Sunny. If she wants to, she can stay."

"Do you?" Taeyeon asked Tiffany who seem to hesitate upon hearing her sister's name. 

"I want to."

"Then stay. I'm here," Taeyeon held out her hand. Tiffany flashed a rueful smile and took it. Juhyun looked away briefly and made a noise of disapproval under her breath that Taeyeon chose to ignore. Yoona cleared and lifted a thick envelope that was sitting on her lap. She pulled out some documents and laid them on the table. Tiffany to leaped up in surprise. 

"That's me! These are my photographs!"

"You have the same smile," Taeyeon picked up a photograph of a toddler.

"My mother always says I have mom's signature eye smile. You should see my mom, she is gorgeous," Tiffany's eyes shone with pride, "That is me when I was five, going for my first ballet class. I stopped learning the next year after mom passed away."

Tiffany pointed to another photograph on the table with an unreadable expression. 

"That's my graduation photo. And that's during Sunny's birthday..." Tiffany stared intently at their smiling faces- Sunny was holding a cake and Tiffany had her arm around her. Her tears threatened to spill and Taeyeon distracted her by asking her to share the stories of the remaining pictures on the table. Taeyeon communicated with her friends what Tiffany had told her. Yoona shared a look with Juhyun. 

"Tiffany unnie, you're pretty," Yoona broke the silence and Tiffany chuckled humbly. 

"Thank you." Taeyeon conveyed Tiffany's gratitude. 

"I actually got these from Sunny unnie," Yoona pulled out a piece of paper from the stack of photographs. She stopped Taeyeon who jolted upright in her seat.

"Yes, before you ask. She is doing fine."

"Why?" Taeyeon asked, "You still don't believe me?"

"It's not that unnie," Yoona defended herself, "I wanted to understand."

Yoona explained that she had visited Sunny at the mental institution to understand why had she attacked Taeyeon. Sunny had refused to speak to Yoona. Instead, Sunny's doctor gave Yoona a brown envelope and wished that Yoona could at least ease Sunny of the torment. There were pictures of Tiffany, Tiffany’s death certificate and other miscellaneous documents. Tiffany started tearing up, her eyes never leaving the death certificate that Taeyeon held in her trembling hands. 

"Do you know about my parents?"

"Tiffany asked about her parents."

“Your parents...” Yoona seemed taken aback.

"They flew over to arrange for your funeral when they heard the news about your passing. They headed back California and.... they met with an accident.” Taeyeon gulped when she saw Yoona wincing.

“Your dad drove his car into a tree and they didn’t make it. I’m sorry.”

Juhyun wore the same expression of surprise as Taeyeon. A grim shadow cast over Tiffany's eyes and Taeyeon felt a ping of pain in her chest.

What?

“I’m sorry.”

You’re lying, right? Mom... Dad... All because of me?

“Tiffany...”

It can’t be.”

Juhyun saw the expression on Taeyeon’s face as she reached over to the empty spot beside her- eyebrows knitted in worry and eyes b with sadness.

“Yoona,” Juhyun nudged the friend who examined the scene before her with guilt ladened gaze, “Let’s give them some time.”

Yoona blinked at Juhyun who had placed her arms around her waist and was leading her up from the couch. 

“Taeyeon,” Juhyun addressed her friend who solemnly tore her eyes from the spot beside her. “I believe you need some time alone with Tiffany.”

Taeyeon’s forced a smile, conveying her gratitude silently through her gaze. 

“I’m sorry, Tiffany-ssi.” Juhyun expressed her condolences and cracked a smile when she saw the question in Yoona's face. She pulled her door of the apartment closed behind her and pretended not to notice how Yoona was subtly wiping the tears away from her eyes.

"I believe Taeyeon," Juhyun said, shaking her head in disbelief, "It's crazy but I believe her. Tiffany... she did some good to Taeyeon and I'm grateful."

"I feel horrible for breaking this news to her. I hope Taeyeon is enough to make up for the loss Tiffany is experiencing," Yoona sniveled.

"She will," Juhyun rubbed Yoona's back in comforting circles, "Taeyeon will be able to console her."