Worried About You II

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

"Tiffany?"

Taeyeon croaked into the murkiness of the apartment as she fumbled for the light switch. The sudden brightness sent a series of throbs against her skull. Taeyeon steadied herself; the silence of the apartment was unfamiliar and a wave of worry washed over her. 

"Tiffany?" She called, darting her eyes around in search. 

"Tiffany," Taeyeon exhaled in relief at the sight of the brunette. She approached the solemn figure at the plateau and pulled the door open. Crouched over and distracted by the dogs, Tiffany gasped at the intrusion. She burst into tears at the sight of Taeyeon. Tiffany lunged at Taeyeon with outstretched hands, seeking consolation in the bond they had built. Her hands slipped through Taeyeon and Tiffany's face fell with disappointment. Taeyeon's expression softened at Tiffany's expression; the air weighed upon them as the reality sunk.

"I'm sorry," Taeyeon apologized instead when Tiffany cowered and refused to face her.

"It's okay," Tiffany's voice came out muffled, "You're not supposed to be here. Why did you run out of the hospital?"

"I'm worried," Taeyeon admitted and Tiffany's shoulders trembled. 

"Go back."

"I'm fine," Taeyeon insisted, wrapping her arms around herself in uncertainty, "Talk to me." 

"Why didn't you tell me?" Tiffany breathed into the chilly night after a brief silence.

"How am I supposed to?" Taeyeon heaved a sigh, "It's not easy for me."

"Do you think it is easy for me to find out this way?" Tiffany scoffed and fiercely wiped her tears with the back of her palm. Taeyeon bit her lips and looked away, shivering as the wind mercilessly met her fragile body. 

"Go in," Tiffany finally spoke and Taeyeon saw the worry in her eyes, "We'll talk inside."

Taeyeon found her attention glued to the broken pot as she ushered herself into the apartment. The broken pot of Anthurium, soil sprayed across the floor and a lone flower that was torn in half sat on the ground.

"How did you do that?"

"I just wanted to save you," Tiffany broke down, "I wanted to save you and I hit her. I hit my own sister."

"It's not your fault. I didn't-"

"She hated me, Taeyeon! All I wanted was just to do my best in life but-" A sob wracked her body and Taeyeon could only watch her fight the sorrow, "- I don't know what I did wrong."

"You did nothing wrong," Taeyeon knelt before Tiffany; bawling in sorrow as she doubled over. Her body trembled as the emotions washed over her and Taeyeon felt a surge of want to comfort Tiffany desperately. 

"I want to protect you, Taeyeon. I wish I'm alive. I want to talk to her. I want to apologize for making Sunny feel inferior," Tiffany's voice was strangled, "I don't want her to hate me. I don't want anyone to get hurt."

Taeyeon could only listen to Tiffany's mournful lament. She could only imagine having to accept death- the pain of being unheard, unseen and deeply understood the loneliness. It is normal in all circumstances that acknowledging you are dead is not a simple feat- stuck in a gray zone, Tiffany struggled alone. Life itself wasn't easy, but neither was death. 

"This is why I didn't want to tell you," Taeyeon gripped the thin air, wishing she could share her warmth despite how broken she was too, "I didn't want to hurt you."

"It hurt you instead, Taeyeon. She hit you. I was so angry... I threw it on- I was angry-"

"Hey hey," Taeyeon silenced her rambling in a gentle tone, "She is alright."

Tiffany whimpered- her grief was uncontainable and Taeyeon tirelessly guarded her with every ounce of her remaining strength. 

"Vanilla latte," Taeyeon whispered when Tiffany's crying significantly lessened. She held out her hand towards Tiffany and nodded reassuringly. Tiffany placed hers on Taeyeon's, spreading her fingers to lace them. Tiffany saw the tenderness in Taeyeon's gaze.

"You smell like vanilla latte and you were warm. Very warm." 

The slam of the door harshly shattered the serene atmosphere. Taeyeon found herself yanked off the ground by a furious Juhyun, her voice dangerously low and eyes flashed with concern. 

"What are you doing here? Why did you run away from the hospital? Why won't you listen to us?"

"Hyun, wait!" Taeyeon gasped in surprise and Tiffany scrambled after her. Juhyun effortlessly hauled her delicate friend across the hall. She heeded no attention to Taeyeon's resist.

"Seo Juhyun!" Taeyeon sternly yelled and Juhyun threw her a seething glare. 

"Give me a minute please," Taeyeon pleaded. Juhyun yielded, hands slackened and exhaled audibly through her nose. She released her grip on Taeyeon's shoulders.

"I'll be outside." Juhyun pulled the door to a close behind her. Taeyeon leaned against the wall, shutting her eyes in exhaustion as her body throbbed in protest. Her face paled and chest heaved with shallow breaths. Her eyes cracked open to a teary Tiffany, hovering with her hand on her cheek.

"Come here," Taeyeon said with an apologetic smile and opened her arms. Tiffany sniffed in her embrace and Taeyeon let her arms linger in the air. For a moment, she wasn't sure where to put them and ignored the ache as she held them wrapped around the airy presence. 

"How do you feel when you hug me?" Tiffany sniveled. Taeyeon blinked at her.

"Listen," Taeyeon pointed and Tiffany maneuver to level her ear against her chest. Taeyeon's erratic heartbeat drew a chuckle from . 

"Taeyeon," Juhyun swung the door open with impatience laced in her voice, "We have to go."

"Go," Tiffany wiped the stray tear from the corner of her eye, a small genuine smile finally graced her lips, "Juhyun is waiting."

"You'll be here?" Taeyeon cautiously asked, "...When I'm back?"

"I'll be here," Tiffany replied uncertainly. Taeyeon darted her eyes in thought and held out her pinky. Tiffany shook her head in disbelief. She hooked hers around Taeyeon and shared a smile. 

"I promise."

With one last glance, Tiffany waved goodbye and Juhyun wrapped her arms around Taeyeon. 

"I'll be home soon. Wait for me." 

Taeyeon whispered and flicked the lights off.