Spirits

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

Taeyeon realized she could see wandering spirits since a young age. 

Of course, Taeyeon has never told anyone about it. There was a little boy who crouched in the corner of her classroom, a lady with bloodshot eyes and a missing left arm along the route where Taeyeon walked home and the old man who locked eyes with her as she just walked right through him.

Of course, Taeyeon never told anyone about it- it was a secret that Taeyeon was more comfortable with keeping. Taeyeon lived 15 years of her life ignoring their presence.

At the age of 25, Taeyeon decided to move out from the apartment she used to stay with her parents. The economy wasn't striving and Taeyeon found an affordable one with complete facilities. 

Except that no one had lived there for four years with the rumor that a young lady was found dead. 

Taeyeon shrugged as the landlord once again urged Taeyeon to read through the contract and take a walk to the apartment before deciding.

"It's cheap," Taeyeon replied, "That's enough for me."

As usual, Taeyeon pretended that she couldn't see. 

The rumors were true. The ghost who lived in the apartment was young- probably in her early 20s. With long brown hair, pretty eyes and slender figure, Taeyeon saw the curiosity in her every movement as she stayed close to Taeyeon wherever she walked.

"Hello, can you hear me?" The female ghost waved frantically as Taeyeon walked passed her with the bento in her hand. Taeyeon belted a yawn when the ghost distinctively reached out to touch her hair. A loud gasp of surprise from the latter as she jerked back and Taeyeon continued eating out of her bento box with a stoic expression.

It was an annoyance that Taeyeon thought she could handle.

Her head popped out of the pan with a mischievous smile while Taeyeon was frying the omelet, her hands wildly mimic Taeyeon's on the keyboard and half of her body was always through the walls, floor or ceiling.

"No no no no no~" She was singing again and Taeyeon sighed audibly as she stuffed the earbuds in her ears so that she could concentrate on her work.

It was extremely annoying as Taeyeon hesitated in the bathroom; the ghost seemingly had no intention of leaving as Taeyeon stripped herself bare. Then she sat waiting on the basin, leaning against the transparent glass and accidentally slipped through. Taeyeon noted the blush on her face.

It was an annoyance that Taeyeon thought she could tolerate.

"Not tonight, Sooyoung," Taeyeon said over the phone. Taeyeon awkwardly scooted towards the edge of the bed while balancing the book on her lap. The ghost wore a solemn expression lying down next to her on the single bed.

"Ah no," Taeyeon replied, "I'm just busy."
Taeyeon sighed as she casually flipped to the next page.

"Mm," she hummed in reply. "Maybe. I'll let you know again."

Taeyeon hung up the phone and exhaled in relief. She never understood why her friends were fond of parties. Taeyeon uneasily tried to read the novel but soon lost interest as the ghost scooted closer to her, reaching out to touch her hand which slipped through.

"I should sleep," she mumbled to herself, closing the book and putting it on the table. She switched off the night lamp and closed her eyes. She shifted a few times, trying to make herself comfortable at the far end of the bed. A cool breeze caressed her face and Taeyeon opened her eyes.

She fell off a bed with a gasp. The brunette hovered over her, sharing the same surprised expression as Taeyeon. A small brush crept on to her translucent complexion.

"Wait, you can see me?"

Taeyeon locked eyes with her for a second and exhaled. She pushed herself off the ground.

"You can see me! Oh my god, you can see-"

Taeyeon let out a loud scream of frustration. She ran out of the bedroom, down the stairs and to the apartment door when the brunette stopped in front of her with outstretched hands. Taeyeon halted in her tracks.

"Don't go, Taeyeon-ssi. Don't go, please."

Taeyeon took a deep breath, ran past the ghost and out of the apartment.