Apology

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

Taeyeon waved goodbye to Yoona with a stiff smile on her face. She stood outside her door, clenching her bag tightly in her hands. It seems absurd to be afraid to enter your house and she was almost enraged at the whispers directed at her by nosy gossips. "I told you there was a ghost in that place", "I wondered if she was able to see it", "It's cursed, it's cursed"- Taeyeon shook her head and suddenly pondered if living beings are as terrifying as the spirits she pretended not to acknowledge. With a deep breath, Taeyeon courageously pushed the door open and shut the noises out of her buzzing ears.

Taeyeon was overwhelmed by the silence- a light hue from the moon illuminates the dark living space and Taeyeon flipped the light switch. She removed her shoes at the foyer and dropped her bag with a thud on the couch. A distinct whine from the backyard drew her attention away from her own thoughts. Mindlessly, Taeyeon scooped a handful of dog feed into a bowl and pulled the sliding door open. 

"Sorry," Taeyeon couldn't help apologizing as the stray wagged her tail enthusiastically. Taeyeon saw the more noticeable bulge as the dog hungrily wolfed down the feed. Hesitantly, she dragged a finger across the brown matted fur down the curves. Taeyeon never did had an affection towards animals and it buffered her remembering how she lied to Tiffany. Was it an act of compassion? Or pity she felt towards Tiffany? Taeyeon shook her head in disbelief.

She waited at the plateau, attentively observing the rapid movements of the pink flickering tongue and snapping teeth- unaware of the genuine smile that graced her lips and the fluttering thoughts in her head. Ginger, Taeyeon's grin stretched, Ginger is a good name for a puppy. 

Taeyeon let the silence and the gush of cold breeze from the night plummet her lightened mood. Pulling the door shut with a click behind her, Taeyeon gingerly placed the dirtied bowl in the basin and stood before the plant with a cup of water.

"You are a coward."

"I'm sorry," Taeyeon whispered and Irene wiped her tears away angerly with the back of her palm. 

"It's too late for everything, Taeyeon. Grow up and learn to face your problems."

Irene stood up and the metal chair scraped noisily against the cafe's floor.

"If you keep being like that, you will end up alone. You will be lonely and your selfishness will leave the other party to wilt and die."

Taeyeon trimmed the wilted leaves with a lingering guilt. It is ironic that a plant that doesn't require much care could shrivel at a rapid rate under her responsibility. Everything seems to perish with a touch from her.

"Do you know what is the name of this plant?" Taeyeon noticed the rueful smile on Tiffany's face as her finger slipped through the leaf.

"No, not really." Taeyeon shrugged and Tiffany smiled, "The website just says that it is perfect as an indoor plant and doesn't require much care."

"It's an Anthurium," Tiffany pointed and Taeyeon crouched beside the brunette. "It looks like you got a hybrid because the flowers are typically red which is why they are called flamingo flowers."

"Oh," Taeyeon frowned. "Do you not like it? I can just...you know..."

"Taeyeon- ssi, " Tiffany giggled when Taeyeon paused and scratched her head in embarrassment, "I love pink so it is okay. Moreover, this is your place now."

"Oh. How do you know so much about this anyway?" Taeyeon asked and busied herself with the other trinkets.

"I used to own a pot of this but it was white." Taeyeon didn't question when Tiffany's smile faltered. "They need more light so I think you could shift this over to the other end of the shelf instead. And Taeyeon- ssi, you need to trim off the wilted leaves."

Taeyeon diligently rearranged the pot of plant and trimmed the brown leaves with guidance from Tiffany. It tugged at her heartstrings when she saw the smile on Tiffany's face again.

"Taeyeon- ssi?" 

"Yes?"

"I am..." Tiffany trailed off and knelt before the snippets of brown leaves. Her face was shrouded by a melancholic and wistful mood. "I'm like a plant, isn't it? I can't believe I lived a life without a purpose, an achievement and now I'm nothing. One day, like these, I'll wilt and die."

Taeyeon cradled the pot in her arms and wept.

"Even plants flourishes and flowers bloom. Please. Come back."