Encounter

I Will Go To You As The First Snow

"Hello."

Taeyeon stared at the elegant lady in front of her in confusion. A friend? A client from her past projects? Taeyeon looked behind her to see if there was anyone else.

"Me?"

"Yes, hello. My name is Sunny Lee."

Taeyeon held the grocery bags in one hand and politely shook the brunette's hand with the other.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Kim Taeyeon. Is there anything I can help you with?"

"I saw you." Sunny clasped her hand tighter around Taeyeon and Taeyeon felt goosebumps raising on her arm.

"Apartment 801A."

Taeyeon gasped and snatched her hand back in alarm.

"Who are you?"

"I saw you. I know you are living alone but you were talking." Sunny took a step closer to Taeyeon and Taeyeon recognized those eyes. Blank, cold, emotionless and lifeless. Taeyeon had seen them. 

"You were always talking to someone."

Taeyeon took a step back and clenched her fists around the grocery bags.

"I heard from the neighborhood boys. They saw you too. Always talking to someone I can't see."

Taeyeon saw people gathering around them now and Taeyeon stumbled back in nervous steps.

"Tiffany is my sister. She used to stay there. Were you talking to her?"

"No, I- I was talking to my friend on the phone."

"You were talking to someone in the apartment. Tiffany. Do you know her?"

"No I was, I just- I have to go." Taeyeon ran as fast as her trembling legs could carry her all the way back to the apartment. The door flung over and Tiffany stared at her with a bewildered expression.

"Taeyeon-ssi! What's wrong? Is it those boys again?" Taeyeon did not spare her a glance. She harshly placed the bags on the coffee table and buried her face in her palms, sinking into the couch.

"Taeyeon-ssi, are you hurt?" Tiffany asked anxiously and Taeyeon felt the annoyance she initially had towards Tiffany returned tenfold. 

"Taeyeon-ssi-"

"Stop," Taeyeon said in exhausted tone. "Please just- Who is Sunny Lee?"

"Sunny Lee? She is... My sister! You saw my sister?" Tiffany asked in surprise.

"So she is really your sister?"

"Where did you see her?"

"She stopped me on the street. She was spying on me. She asked me about you."

"I didn't know she would come back to Seoul."

"I hate this. I'm so sick of this." Taeyeon wrapped her arms around herself. The stare of those eyes gnaw at her and sent a chill coursing through her petite body. Taeyeon shivered in the shadows left by her daunting childhood.

Tiffany dropped her gaze to her feet with an unreadable expression.

"Do you regret moving to this apartment? Because I am here?"

"You asked me if I regret?" Taeyeon said, pulling her arms tighter around herself. . 

"I would never have bought this place if I knew you were here. I tried to move on, I tried to understand, I tried to accept it but-" Taeyeon looked at Tiffany. "-ghosts are baggages. You too... are a burden."

"I thought if I tried hard, I could at least be enough." Tiffany looked away.

"I like you as a person, Taeyeon-ssi. I'm glad that you are the one staying here. I'm glad to have someone to talk to."

"I wanted to get along well with you too and I thought, maybe I could have a memorable year before I move on. We only have a nine months left so I will make sure you have the most out of it." Tiffany flashed a tearful smile.

"I tried to get along with you too but I continue to disappoint even after death. I'm sorry that you had to tolerate with my existance. I will keep my promise of not causing you inconvenience."

Taeyeon looked up and realized that Tiffany was no where in sight.Taeyeon jolted up from her seat and followed the source of Tiffany's voice to the plateau. The evening breeze brushed past Taeyeon. 

"This house, it's yours. Thank you for staying here and making this your home."

Tiffany vanished that night like she had never existed.