In Pieces

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 44: In Pieces

.

Kyungsoo was worried. And at first, he was the only one. His concern over Jongin's weariness was touching, and most of their friends brushed it off as the fairy always being too caring and prone to unreasonable anxiety for all matter concerning his precious nymph.

But after two days, Kibum began to doubt that Kyungsoo's worries were that foolish. Jongin was sad and lonely, that much was easy to see in his troubled, unfocused eyes. Yet there was something else, that the nymph hid behind silences and soft murmurs; a fatigue, a despondency that he felt guilty about and only half admitted. Kibum couldn't quite pinpoint if it was emotional, physical, or a little bit of both, but Jongin was slowly turning into a shadow. His skin gradually dulled from its usual light and warmth. His smile never quite reached his eyes.

Four days after Taemin had left the forest, Jongin's breathing became loud. A wheeze. As if his lungs were constricted and painful. He couldn't find the strength or courage to get out of his nest and drag himself to the oak to watch his friends cheerfully get on with the little home of his dreams. He didn't have the strength even only to lay down in the yellow flowers that hugged him gently and reminded him of the love he longed so terribly for. And to his utmost sadness, he couldn't either bring himself to summon a single buttercup in his clearing. He felt empty of all of his magic, of all the flowers that usually shivered under his skin, ready to come out and put an expression of delightful wonder on Taemin's face.

When Jongdae timidly asked him if he was okay, Jongin blushed and tears beaded in his eyes.

"I'm sorry," he whispered painfully. "I'm okay. He'll come back soon."

Jongdae, Kibum, and Kyungsoo had exchanged glances and finally came to the horrific realization that Jongin felt guilty of his state.

"I know I shouldn't let myself despair like this," Jongin had later reluctantly admitted. "I know it's silly. I'm trying. But I am just so..."

His sentence floated for a moment, then he said a word in the language of nymphs that Kyungsoo and Jongdae didn't understand. They didn't hear it. They only felt a soft breeze escape Jongin's lips. A breeze that carried something beyond sadness, a heartbreaking melancholy, an immoderate solitude that Jongin couldn't express with any Faerish word he knew.

When Jonghyun came to the clearing, bearing words that Taemin had reached the White Mountains safely, Jongin couldn't find it in himself to rejoice. All those days had passed already, he felt like the ghost of his former self, and Taemin had only reached his destination. How much longer would he have to wait to see him again? Why did each day feel like a whole year to his poor, neglected heart?

At some point, Kyungsoo thought about asking Baekhyun for help, but he wasn't eager to have the Lord of Nymphs dismiss his worries with a wave of his hand and a snort about trusting him. So instead, they all took turns watching over Jongin, keeping him company, making sure he ate, and forcing him out of his nest to walk around his clearing and get some fresh air. And for a few more days, it seemed that the nymph's state had stabilized somewhere in a slightly ghostly aura.

Until one morning, when Kyungsoo entered the nest under the willow tree's roots, he found the nymph still laying down, eyes barely open.

"Kyungsoo. I think I'm too sad to get up," Jongin said in a soft voice that broke the fairy's heart. "Will you stay with me here?"

Swallowing down a sob, Kyungsoo nodded. He flew to Jongin's face, patted his forehead gently, and narrated the same fairy tales he had told the nymph years ago, when Jongin was only but a very small little spirit, learning about the forest's legends for the first time.

"Once upon a time, a nymph lived in a cavern..."

 

~

 

In a lovely cottage lost in the middle of Nowhere, Baekhyun was having tea. As of lately, life was particularly pleasant for the Lord of nymphs. He had found his long-lost lover back, they were extremely busy courting each other all over again like some under-100-years-old squires, and the little plot he had been loosely watching over for the last year had finally come to fruition. There was nothing else for Baekhyun to be worried about and he could enjoy a sweet summer of leisure and pleasure in his garden, talking about this and that with the few friends that came to visit Yixing and him.

That day, it was Jongdae. And, feeling quite calm, serene, and particularly blissful, Baekhyun accepted to listen to the fairy's troubles, as it seemed that little folks always had worries far bigger than themselves. Jongdae chatted about his love for the gardener elf of the castle Kim Minseok, then about his recent improvements in Elvish, and then about that little picnic in the nymphs' clearing that he had planned with everyone. That was when, very softly and timidly, Jongdae admitted that they thought it might help Jongin, even though the wood nymph couldn't eat anymore those days.

Baekhyun frowned. He sipped on his tea calmly, his eyes focused on Jongdae who was sitting on a silk cushion over a chair so massive it made him look even tinier than he truly was.

"Is he so sad that he can't eat?" Baekhyun wondered.

Jongdae hummed with a little nod.

"He's very tired lately. I think he misses Taemin more than we could imagine... We tried to cheer him up but-... he's getting worse and if I'm honest, we're all a little worried."

Baekhyun remained silent but Yixing, sitting next to him, spoke gently and his interest over Jongin's well-being comforted Jongdae greatly.

"He's really not eating anymore?"

"He doesn't have the strength for it," Jongdae explained with a pained face. "He's been laying in his nest, immobile, for a few days now. He mostly sleeps and only talks to Kyungsoo sometimes. And you know..." the fairy stole a glance at Baekhyun before he reported his attention back on Yixing, "it's just difficult to see him like this. We know that if it was truly serious, Baekhyun would surely know about it and help but-... we can't help worrying."

Baekhyun took a long inhale. He felt Yixing's hand on the small of his back.

"Do you have reassuring visions to comfort them?" Yixing asked.

"I don't," Baekhyun said stiffly. "All of my visions of Taemin's future disappeared as soon as he stepped out of the forest. But it's normal. It did the same with you. All the possibilities that I saw for us vanished when you decided to go away."

An uncomfortable silence fell in the room and, though he kept gently Baekhyun's back, Yixing didn't dare to utter another word.

Baekhyun's aura faded slightly as he sank inside his mind, searching for a little sparkle of hope and reassurance he could still grant Jongdae. But he couldn't find anything. His visions appeared to him different than memories; they were chances, wishes that he saw through windows. He had seen so much of Taemin's and Jongin's shared future; promising things that he very much counted on to manifest. But they had all dulled, relegated as memories of things he once saw. Taemin's future was full of uncertainties and so it influenced Jongin's.

His heart missed a few beats and his breath got caught up in his throat. Suddenly, his frantic mind searched for a trace of Jongin's future. And he found none. Fear froze his heart, his lungs, his limbs. A veil fell on his eyes and he didn't hear Yixing calling for him softly.

Baekhyun couldn't find any vision of Jongin's future that hadn't turned into a memory. He had expected most of them to disappear since they were deeply tangled to Taemin's fate. But even the few little things he had seen that weren't linked to the elf had dulled and vanished from his sight.

His fingers trembled and his teacup slipped away from his hold to crash on the floor, spilling the lukewarm tea all over the white rug.

Jongdae's surprised cry brought him back to reality. Baekhyun gasped loudly, blinked, and his eyes focused on the beams still covered in dahlias in front of him.

"What have I done..." he murmured.

Yixing appeared in his field of vision and cupped his face, forcing him to focus on his eyes.

"Baekhyun? What's happening?"

Baekhyun gasped, unable to find his breath. Panic seized him as all the lost pieces of the puzzle came together in his mind, and his eyes widened in terror.

The sight of the Lord of nymphs in such a state made Jongdae's blood curdle.

"How could I not see it?" Baekhyun murmured, horrified. "How could I not-...?"

Yixing's face hardened slightly. He closed his eyes, pressed his forehead against Baekhyun's, and Jongdae heard him murmur a few words in a language he had never heard before.

"Slow the flow, free the spirit."

Baekhyun breathed out and relaxed against him. He took a few long, deep breaths before he managed to open his eyes again. He looked into Yixing's eyes, and Jongdae felt like they were having a whole conversation he couldn't hear.

"What shall we do?" Yixing asked.

Baekhyun's lips trembled but he nodded.

"Jongdae?"

The fairy who had thought to have been forgotten jolted on his seat and cried out softly.

"Yes, sir?"

"I need you to find Choi Minho, the young prince Jonghyun, and Kibum. Bring them to Sehun's ruins. Immediately and imperatively. Do not bring Kim Minseok. I will go see Jongin and get Kyungsoo, then I'll meet you all there."

Jongdae let out a small gasp as he saw the Lord of nymphs get up solemnly.

"Why? What is happening?"

But Baekhyun didn't answer him, instead, he turned to Yixing.

"Please, warn Junmyeon and Sehun of our arrival. Junmyeon will probably freak out so I ask you to reassure him as much as you can. I'll see you soon."

"Will do," Yixing murmured with a nod as he turned around to get his shoes.

Jongdae looked between the two of them with a worried frown and let out a strangled whimper.

"Please! What is happening?"

Baekhyun turned to him with wide, annoyed eyes.

"You're still here? Go. Fetch me the elves, now."

Jongdae jolted slightly and took off in a hurry. It was the first time that he truly saw Baekhyun as serious and commanding; the Lord of nymphs had always been so gentle and lighthearted with him. Jongdae was pouting as he flew away from Nowhere, sulking about being rebuffed in this way and yet still very much decided to fulfill his mission – if only to save Jongin from whatever misery Baekhyun hadn't foreseen.

 

~

 

When Baekhyun arrived in the clearing, he thought that Jongin's weeping willow had never born its name more rightly. It looked desolated, as bare as in the middle of winter. The waterfall nearby was quiet and the meadow seemed frozen in time.

The darkened, visible roots of the willow had never looked so old and the flowers and grass around them had withered. With heavy steps and bated breath, Baekhyun came closer. He crouched down to the hollow between the roots and glanced at the dark nest below before he lowered himself through it.

The usual rich, heady smell of flowers had turned into a dry scent of earth.

"Who's there?" came the wavering voice of Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun sighed and a few tiny orbs of light appeared in the shadows, illuminating his face. He saw the fairy pathetically sitting on the ground next to the form of his wooden nymph, asleep and huddled on himself. Some moss was covering his feet and knees, slowly making its way on his body and Baekhyun averted his eyes.

"Oh," Kyungsoo said. "It's you."

Baekhyun recognized the bitterness in his tone and it hurt him. Kyungsoo already resented him without even knowing the depth of his fault and he suddenly wondered if what he would have to confess would make the fairy turn his back on him after centuries of loving friendship.

"Kyungsoo, I need you to come with me."

"Why?"

Baekhyun knelt on the bare ground. The soft grass had disappeared and the soil was dry. With a pained expression, Baekhyun laid a hand on Jongin's shoulder, but the nymph didn't react. He was sound asleep.

"I made a mistake."

Kyungsoo gasped and looked at him with a mix of so many emotions Baekhyun couldn't pinpoint them all. There was fear but also, strangely, relief. Respite from the anguish of not knowing what was happening. Something was wrong, as Kyungsoo had felt. And Baekhyun knew what it was. And hopefully, Baekhyun could fix it.

"What's happening?" Kyungsoo pressed him. "What did you do? Can you help him?"

Baekhyun took a long inhale.

"I need you to come with me to Sehun's ruins. I am gathering everyone to save Jongin."

Kyungsoo widened his eyes. His lips trembled.

"Save him? Is it that bad?"

Baekhyun nodded and Kyungsoo shook his head.

"I'm not leaving him alone. Bring everyone here."

"Please don't make this harder than it already is. I will already have to fight Junmyeon and I don't have any time to waste arguing with you. I came here to see Jongin's state and what I see is that we are running out of time. I will now go to Sehun's ruins and explain my plan to everyone. If you want to know what is happening, you must come with me."

Kyungsoo's whole face reddened in outrage but before he could voice his anger, Baekhyun spoke again, with a tone that left no room for whines.

"You will have time to resent me later. And I promise you will be able to come back to Jongin as soon as I am done explaining everything. You are not needed in my plan."

He didn't wait for Kyungsoo's answer and turned around to leave the nest gravely. His whole body shaking, the fairy quickly pressed a small peck on Jongin's forehead and murmured a gentle "I will be right back" before he darted out of the hollow. He barely had time to reach Baekhyun that the nymph conjured a shortcut and walked through it, disappearing from the meadow.

Sehun's home was still heavily protected by the forest and they went out into the hot, dark swamps. A will-o'-wisp gasped at their arrival and disappeared in a soft ringing. Without a word, Baekhyun walked away, sinking between the trees into the moist mist, and Kyungsoo diligently followed. He wanted to ask more questions, pester his old friend until Baekhyun would give in and explain what was happening to his precious nymph but he didn't dare. Despite his anger, his hurt, and his growing annoyance, Kyungsoo could still see that the nymph was prey to troubling thoughts. Even distress.

And he didn't know how to feel about that.

"I will save him," Baekhyun suddenly murmured and Kyungsoo wasn't sure if he was talking to him or trying to convince himself. It scared him.

They left the swamps and silently took the path slithering between large rocks. Kyungsoo saw Baekhyun's lips moving slightly, whispering words that he couldn't hear; the Lord of nymphs was praying and asking for the forest's help.

They heard soft giggles in the distance that appeased their hearts despite themselves. In the ruins, Sehun was cheerfully making Yixing's acquaintance and showing him how well he could do a cartwheel.

"Isn't it awesome?" Sehun cried out as he next proceeded to show off some somersaults.

"It is very impressive," Yixing conceded with a little smile.

When Baekhyun and Kyungsoo appeared, the young wind nymph brightened visibly.

"Baekhyun-ah," he grinned. "Long time no see!"

Junmyeon snorted softly and as Baekhyun approached to pat the boy's head, the fairy explained that Jinki had taught him that expression just a few days ago and he kept repeating it like a parrot – even when Junmyeon only left for a couple of minutes to relieve his bladder.

"Will you talk now?"

Kyungsoo's cold tone addressed to Baekhyun took Junmyeon off guard. He opened his mouth but remained silent and stared at the Lord of nymphs with a slight frown.

"As soon as the others arrive," Baekhyun sighed.

"The others?" Junmyeon gasped. "Who's coming? What's happening? Yixing only said you were on your way. Is something wrong?"

"I'll explain everything once the others arrive."

Baekhyun, who always looked so carefree and joyful, suddenly appeared tired and troubled. His shoulders were low, his eyes dull. He looked very old, all of a sudden. It only pushed Junmyeon further into anxiety but he didn't dare to press the nymph with questions and assaulted Kyungsoo instead, whispering frantically to his friend while Baekhyun sought the protective arms of his lover for a moment of rest.

He still heard the two fairies' chatter. Kyungsoo reported meticulously on Jongin's situation and Junmyeon wheezed next to him.

"But who's coming?" Junmyeon suddenly asked loudly, hoping Baekhyun would answer. "Elves? They can't come here! It's not safe for Sehun. They can't come."

"The forest will let them come," Baekhyun said.

Junmyeon grew pale.

"It will? But-..."

"Junmyeon. Please. This isn't the time for useless panicking. I'm here and Sehun will be safe."

Junmyeon kept his mouth shut but his lips were still trembling and by his side, Kyungsoo's face hardened.

"Don't dismiss his feelings simply because it's inconvenient for you to face your failures," he grunted. "You're always going around telling us we shouldn't be afraid or anxious or a hinder to you because you know better, and yet you failed Jongin. So just take a minute to tell him why we're invading the protected, sacred home of the nymph he's responsible for. It's not that hard to be a decent being, Baekhyun. It's not that hard."

Baekhyun tensed in Yixing's arms. He could tell the wizard was about to speak but he pressed his fingers against his mouth and closed his eyes. He didn't need someone defending him when he knew deep down that Kyungsoo was right.

"I do that, uh..." he whispered. "I keep doing that."

He brought his hands to his temples and slowly withdrew from his lover's embrace to look at the two fairies. Junmyeon looked flabbergasted by the whole situation and Kyungsoo was glaring at him. He wondered if he hated him already. Most likely, he thought.

Not so far away, Sehun was immobile, silent, and pale. His teary, confused eyes were jumping from Junmyeon to Baekhyun. The Lord of nymphs came to lay a hand on his shoulder. He knelt on the ground and let the young nymph snuggle to him for reassurance.

"I'm overwhelmed and terrified," Baekhyun said in a quiet, sad tone.

Kyungsoo's frown softened and turned into a worried glance.

"I'm sorry, Junmyeon. I realized I made a terrible mistake and now, Jongin is in grave danger. I formed a plan to save him in a hurry and sent Jongdae out to find Choi Minho, Kim Jonghyun, and Kibum, as I will need everyone's help. I told them all to come here because I need your help too and I don't have much time."

"Will Jongin be okay?"

Baekhyun looked down at Sehun's concerned face and his hair gently.

"I will make sure he is."

Sehun whispered a soft "Okay" and Baekhyun glanced back at Junmyeon. Despite his frown, the fairy seemed a little calmer. It had been a good idea to mention Minho.

"They're coming," Yixing said, calm and impassive.

They heard the rustling of leaves and soft steps on the stone path, then Jongdae appeared. A small ruckus ensued.

Junmyeon flew to Minho for comfort, so cheerful to see him again despite the circumstances. Jongdae dived toward Kyungsoo to get some news about Jongin. And Jonghyun only gasped as he looked around, enthralled by the beauty of the place. He asked Kibum where they were exactly and tried to figure out if he had ever heard of such a place in any legend of his people. He didn't notice the way Yixing's gaze followed him around with interest.

"Please," came Baekhyun's voice, quieting down any excitation. "I need your attention."

They all calmed down, except for Sehun who planted himself so close to Minho that he was practically standing on his feet, and looked up to him with wide eyes.

"It's you..." he whispered, reverently. "Choi Minho."

Minho gave an embarrassed little smile to Baekhyun before he looked down at the young nymph and patted his head gently.

"Hi there, Sehun. I heard a lot about you."

Sehun squealed and threw his arms around Minho's waist, holding him so tight that the elf squeaked with surprise.

"Well then, Sehunnie," Junmyeon coughed. "Baekhyun needs to talk now and-..."

Sehun hummed but kept hugging Minho's waist, his face pushed against the man's chest. He seemed so perfectly comfortable that Minho didn't have the heart to dislodge him and he simply motioned for Lord Baekhyun to start.

Without wasting another precious minute, Baekhyun spoke. He talked in Faerish and left it to Minho or Junmyeon to translate for Jonghyun, the only one who couldn't understand.

"Something happened that I didn't foresee. Or rather, that I forgot. Jongin's current state isn't due to sadness. Ever since Taemin set a foot out of the forest, Jongin has been withering. He's dying."

A cold breeze shook the trees around and froze all of them to their bones. Kyungsoo trembled. He would have fallen backward if not for Jongdae's presence of mind; the youngest fairy caught him in his arms and turned back to Baekhyun with a horrified frown.

They barely registered the icy rain that began to fall from the vast, blue sky. Only Jonghyun noticed it and recognized the small droplets. He grabbed Kibum's hand and laced their fingers.

"Taemin left with a part of him," Baekhyun continued, eyes cast to the ground. "But Jongin cannot survive outside of the forest and the gift he offered Taemin, the part of his soul trapped in a small stone around Taemin's neck, is dying."

Realization struck them all in waves.

A sharp pain burned Kyungsoo's heart, followed by guilt. And a few tears escaped his eyes as he realized that it wasn't Baekhyun's fault. Yet, the nymph had already decided to take all the blame. But he should have known, too. He should have paid attention. He should have remembered.

Not far from him, Kibum shared his thoughts.

"Can we still save him?" Minho asked. "What must we do?"

"I need to bring Taemin back before it's too late," Baekhyun answered. "I took so much time realizing... Their future disappeared from my view and I thought-... I just-... I need to bring Lee Taemin back."

"What can we do?" Jongdae stepped in.

Baekhyun shook his head and took a long inhale to gather his thoughts and courage. Then, he turned to Jonghyun and began to speak Elvish.

"I need you to inform the castle of the situation. Tell them that I will leave to get Taemin. I will do everything in my power to limit political damages but I do not know what I will find there and I will not leave without the Prince."

"Of course," Jonghyun nodded. "Please, do what must be done and we will take care of any troubles, may they come."

Baekhyun offered him a gentle smile before he looked at the others and reverted to Faerish.

"Jongin cannot eat nor talk anymore but I want you all to remain close and tend to his willow. Talk to him so he doesn't fall completely into darkness and nurse his flowers as best as you can. Jongdae, I need you to ask Minseok to care for the magnolia in his garden with special care. I couldn't let too many elves come here today, but his help will be greatly appreciated."

Jongdae straightened up on his seat and held Kyungsoo even tighter in his arms.

"I will tell him!"

"Now, I will leave immediately. With Sehun."

The young nymph turned around on his feet with wide eyes and a tiny squeal.

"Me?"

"Him?!" Junmyeon cried out.

"Flying will be the quickest," Baekhyun calmly continued. "And I need Sehun to help me ride the fastest winds."

"But he's a child," Junmyeon shrieked. "He can't leave the forest! He can't even leave his home! It will kill him!"

Jongdae's heart broke when he saw the weariness, the extreme fatigue, and the distress on Baekhyun's face. Yet he knew it wasn't his place to say anything at the moment.

"He can leave the forest if he's with me," Baekhyun said. "He will remain with me at all times. I won't let anything happen to him."

"Out of the question," Junmyeon growled. "It's far too dangerous. Pick another nymph. There are many wind nymphs. You could leave with Kibum. Pick Kibum."

Kibum took a step toward Baekhyun with a decided face.

"I will come with you. I can summon winds for you."

"No, you can't." Baekhyun's voice was irrevocable. "Jongin doesn't have a lot of time and I have no idea what kind of trouble I may find in the mountains. I might be able to grab Taemin quickly or I might have to argue his way out... so I need to spare every precious minute of Jongin's tiny remaining time that I can, and that means I must leave soon, without further argument, with the strongest wind nymph of the forest. I need the nymph who conjured the biggest storm we've seen in centuries when he came to life."

Junmyeon was so angry that a few tears escaped his eyes as he flew closer to Baekhyun, face red with outrage.

"You can't take him away. You have no right. He's a child, Baekhyun. A child. You can't risk him."

"I can't let Jongin die either," Baekhyun scolded. His voice was loud and rumbling like thunder. "Sehun will be perfectly safe with me. I have done this before, Junmyeon. I know what I'm doing. I have taken numerous nymphs outside of the forest, long ago, and you would do well to remember who exactly you are talking to."

A firm hand wrapped around Baekhyun's wrist, drawing him behind. Yixing murmured a few words again, in that language nobody else in the forest knew.

In front of them, Junmyeon choked. His tiny body trembled but nobody – not even Minho – dared to move. Until Sehun stepped forward and caught his fairy in his hands.

"Junmyeonnie," he said, "please calm down. It will be alright."

Junmyeon closed his eyes in defeat and his heart broke into pieces. He could guess Sehun's next words before he heard them, so soft and tender.

"I want to save Jongin if I can. I love him, you know."

"I know," Junmyeon sobbed.

Sehun brought him closer to his face and pressed a soft kiss on top of his head. His voice turned into a whisper but the ruins were so quiet that everybody heard him. Even Jonghyun perceived the soft bells-like sound of Faerish.

"It is time for my adventure."

Junmyeon parted his lips and looked up. His young nymph was smiling. And he realized that Sehun would leave, with or without his consent, and all he could do was decide how to say goodbye. His heart ached but he forced a smile. His soul tore with the pain of it but he tried to make his voice supportive and confident.

"You think so?"

Sehun nodded with another hum.

"I'll tell you all about it when I come back. You'll make some cakes?"

"Of course, I will."

Behind them, Baekhyun stared at Choi Minho. He looked apologetic, almost regretful. Minho suddenly understood that he had been called there for this purpose. Kibum and Kyungsoo were there because they were the closest to Jongin and deserved to know. Baekhyun had called upon Jonghyun as the forest's Prince, to let him know about the potential repercussion of his plan. And he had asked Minho's presence for Junmyeon.

So he approached gravely and gathered the pitiful form of Junmyeon from Sehun's hands.

"I will bring your nymph back to you," Baekhyun said before he glanced at Kyungsoo. "And yours as well."

Then he held out his hand for Sehun to take and guided him a few steps away. He put one knee on the ground and looked at the young nymph seriously.

"I will turn into a bird now and you'll have to climb on my back and hold tight, alright? If you don't feel well, at any moment during the trip, you must tell me immediately."

Sehun widened his eyes slightly but nodded quickly and Baekhyun sighed before patting his head.

A gentle light spread around him like a halo, at first so soft and faint that it was barely visible in the bright luminosity of the summer afternoon. It grew shinier, brighter, until it enveloped him whole and became so intense that all of the others squinted.

Jongdae had seen Baekhyun shift and turn from one form to the other, and it had always been subtle and quick like a blink. For a second, the Lord of nymphs stood there, and then he was only but a tiny bumblebee. This time was different and the fairy wasn't sure why until the light gradually faded and where Baekhyun once stood, they now all could see a large phoenix with feathers the color of a burning fire. His tail was long and red; it sparkled as its end went up in flames.

They all gasped – all but Yixing who only looked at Baekhyun's true form fondly, with a soft melancholy. It had been so long since he had seen him so.

"Come," came Baekhyun's gentle voice as he turned his beak toward Sehun.

The young nymph marched rather stiffly and was uncharacteristically careful when he climbed up Baekhyun's back. He did his best not to ruffle or twist his feathers and sat comfortably, wrapping his arms around his neck for safety.

"I'll see you soon," Junmyeon cried out between sobs.

Sehun turned to look at him and gave him a bright grin. Baekhyun looked up and with a swift, powerful move, he soared into the sky with a cry, his tail trailing behind them. They all heard Sehun whooping excitedly and quicker than they could blink, the two nymphs had disappeared into the sky, flying over the forest at full throttle.

 

 

Silence fell in the ruins, only disturbed by Junmyeon's sorrowful sniffs.

Kibum let his hand slip from Jonghyun's hold and walked to the small stone where Jongdae was still cradling Kyungsoo. With gentle hands, he cupped the oldest fairy and smiled down at Jongdae.

"Will you be a dear and let Chanyeol and Jinki know about what happened? Tell them they can come to find us in the clearing."

"Alright."

Kibum brought Kyungsoo close to his heart.

"Come, 'Soo. Let's go see him."

"Yes, please."

Kibum glanced at Jonghyun.

"I will come soon," the prince promised in a murmur.

Kibum's face relaxed. He faded slowly, turning into a breeze that carried Kyungsoo away. After him, Jonghyun left, then Jongdae.

Minho sat down with Junmyeon. Nobody had seen Yixing leave.

 

~

 

Baekhyun took off at high speed and only slowed down once they were already high in the sky, the forest extending like a dark green mass of moss far under them. He indulged in a couple of loops that made Sehun giggle on his back and then calmed down to glide quietly.

"Everything's alright?" Baekhyun asked.

Sehun hummed softly. He was still smiling from ear to ear, delighted with the wind lashing his face and the dreamy landscapes passing beneath them. The sun was high and warm.

"Where do we go?" Sehun cried out.

Baekhyun swirled in the air quite abruptly and caused Sehun to grip his neck tighter and burst into laughter.

"Right ahead," Baekhyun answered lightly. "As fast as we can."

Sehun grinned and the wind changed. Instead of beating against Sehun's cheeks and Baekhyun's golden beak, it came from behind, blowing and howling with the strength of a tornado, and it propelled them forward. Baekhyun's sturdy wings faltered for a second but he quickly managed to find his balance again and let himself be carried by Sehun's powerful whirlwind.

They rushed through the sky like a shooting star and the white clouds followed them, dragged away by their momentum. Sehun's wind was so strong that it bent the trees and greenery they flew over hastily. In the blurred spreads of green on the ground, Baekhyun could see the vegetation sway wildly.

They went past forests and woods, large plains of high grass with irregular ground, hills and bumps appearing here and there, barely visible from how far they were. In the distance, they caught sight of riders traveling the lands and Sehun got curious about them.

"They look like men, although I do not know how to differentiate all the races of them and I cannot tell what they are doing here, where they are going, and what for. The world is far vaster than you think, Sehun-ah," Baekhyun said in a very soft, almost melancholic tone. "More beings are inhabiting it than you can imagine... more kingdoms, realms, and magical landscapes."

"I hope I can see them all one day."

Baekhyun remained silent. He wondered if he should nip that idea in the bud while he still could but he couldn't bring himself to break Sehun's young dreams quite yet. The idea that it would only grow more difficult for Sehun to accept that he couldn't leave the forest couldn't convince him completely. Sehun, after all, hadn't really paid attention, hadn't understood why they needed to go fetch Taemin in the first place. The sight of how vast the world outside of the forest was, was too impressive.

And that had been Baekhyun's main concern about taking Sehun with him. Junmyeon's fear about keeping him out of harm hadn't worried him in the least. But he knew that nymphs never thought about leaving the forest they loved so dearly until they were forced to and then, the call of the great wide unknown was so difficult to resist. And he wished the longing wouldn't remain too long in Sehun's crystal heart.

"May he soon forget what mountains and plains look like," Baekhyun thought grimly.

 

~

 

It had taken the elves four days, riding wolves and horses, to go from the forest of Honeyhills to the White Mountains. It took Baekhyun and Sehun only hours. By the time the sun slowly began to wane, the land beneath them had changed drastically to rocks and depleted hills surroundings large lakes that reflected the twilight sky. The vegetation seemed sparse compared to what they were used to and so small that they barely noticed it.

Ahead of them stood the impressive chain of White Mountains, massive and mighty, lightened by the declining light from the West.

Baekhyun was slightly more tired than he had expected to be. Sehun's strong wind-conjuring powers had exceeded his expectations; they had managed to fly even quicker than he had hoped but it had been far more difficult and exhausting to comply and follow his breath than Baekhyun had planned. As they approached the mountains, the Lord of nymphs found himself wishing for a moment of rest and hoped that they could be welcome with a restorative meal.

As they approached, Baekhyun heard Sehun gasp; it made him twitch through the turbulence. The White Mountains had suddenly been lit up as the night fell over the earth and Elysrius, the elven city carved into the rocks, seemed to come alive in a fire. Elven lights ignited all over the mountain through large windows; the invisible city hidden in the rocks appeared gloriously all at once.

Baekhyun slowly initiated his landing and soon, he could see that they had been noticed. Guards of the citadel gathered all around as Baekhyun approached a small courtyard in what seemed to be the castle's semblance of gardens.

He landed smoothly, like a feather falling on water, but Sehun tensed on his back when he heard bows being drawn all around them. Baekhyun saw the arrows aimed at them and he quickly shifted back to his nymph form before Sehun could panic and unleash a tornado that would brush away every single guard. He appeared tall and glowing, with Sehun curled up in his arms, a long, white and silky gown draped over them both.

"State your name and business at once, Foreigner. No shapeshifter is awaited in the realm of Lady Lee Sunjung," the elf standing right before them said while staring down at them. "And they are not welcome."

Baekhyun tightened his hold on Sehun slightly in an attempt to appease him, then he sighed as he took a look around the guards. Not one of those arrows could pierce them; Baekhyun would break them before they were fired. But he was concerned about the elves' animosity saddening Sehun.

"I am not a shapeshifter," Baekhyun said almost disdainfully. "I am Baekhyun, the Lord of nymphs from the forest of Honeyhills, the highest and most honored being of the realm of Lord Kim Junsu. Lower your weapons, I mean no harm."

An awed murmur spread amongst the guards. They exchanged looks and eyed their captain with uncertainty.

"A nymph?" the captain repeated with a frown.

"A nymph. And I am here to see my friend, the young Prince Lee Taemin."

There was a small silence, then the elf captain called for one of the guards and told her to announce the intruder and see if Taemin did know him. For the whole time, Baekhyun stared at him, unmoving beside his hand gently Sehun's back.

"Who is the child?" the captain ended up asking.

"His name is Sehun. He is a wind nymph and my harmless companion."

The captain slowly squinted as he detailed them both.

"There are no nymphs here and I do not know of the powers you can wield. I am reluctant to let you go until your identity is confirmed."

Baekhyun let out a singing, mellifluous laugh that had Sehun smiling in turn.

"Oh, I will wait without a fight," he said. "But my dear, there are nymphs in the mountains. That, I am sure of."

All the guards widened their eyes in confusion mixed with hope but before any of them could express any doubt, the doors of the castle opened wide and Taemin came running out, his long silver gown dancing behind him.

"Lord Baekhyun," he breathed out as he reached the circle of his guards and fought his way through them.

At the sound of his voice, all guards lowered their weapons at once. But when they saw their prince shiver and bow to the foreigner hastily, they stood rooted on their feet, too stunned to react.

"I wish I could say I'm happy to see you," Taemin whispered as he looked back up with worried eyes, "but I know you wouldn't have come for no reason. What happened? Is Jongin okay?"

Baekhyun gazed at him gravely for a moment and in his silence, Taemin found the answers he didn't want to hear.

"May we talk in private, Lee Taemin?" Baekhyun whispered. "Sehun and I are both tired from the trip. We would be grateful for a seat at your table while I tell you all that needs to be said. We don't have much time but I need a moment to rest."

Taemin widened his eyes in concern but nodded quietly and turned to order every elf to stand back and let them pass when a figure appeared by the castle's door. A tall, majestic elf stood against the light coming from the high chandelier inside; it made him glow in the falling night and his long, braided white hair shimmered like stardust. He was staring silently at the whole scene with a serious face and even from the distance, Baekhyun immediately identified him as the Crown Prince. He had Taemin's eyes, albeit harder and older, and the same very slightly aquiline nose.

Taemin looked so small and young next to him, Baekhyun noticed. It was different than seeing him with Jonghyun, who always shielded him and protected him but saw him as an equal. Taemin's older brother had an authority in his stance and his aura that spoke of his highness.

"Taewoong," Taemin said in a trembling voice, "this is Lord Baekhyun, from the forest of Honeyhills. The Lord of nymphs I told you about... I must speak with him."

Taewoong glanced at Baekhyun and for a moment, he seemed surprised, almost thrown off with the raw intensity in the nymph's stance. Then, he shifted slightly.

"You are welcome here, Lord Baekhyun from Honeyhills. Please come in and let us know what brought you to the White Mountains."

 

~

 

Taewoong brought them to a wide, cold room with a high ceiling and dancing lights hanging on the white stone walls. The golden flames were casting strange, sparkling shadows on the floor and the large circular pillars aligned in the cave. The windows were too high to show anything else than the starry night sky but they brought the echo of the wind going through the mountains like a soft, enchanting whisper that pleased Sehun very much.

They sat down at a long, fancy table and Taewoong ordered for drinks and food to be brought to them. Taemin was silent by his side; he looked like a lost child, glancing at Baekhyun with sad, worried eyes that his brother didn't seem to notice – or he didn't want to give him any attention. The elf prince seemed so different than the gentle man Baekhyun had met in his forest; he could see the faint fog of grey and dark blue colors around him, weighing down on his shoulders, dulling the bright yellow of his soul and the tiny sliver of gold emanating from his chest. He wondered what made Taemin so shy and distant.

"My brother has told us that nymphs live in Honeyhills," Taewoong said in a serene voice.

Baekhyun could tell, though, that he was doing his best to maintain his composure in front of him. He could also hear the masked disbelief in the Crown Prince's voice and he wondered exactly how far into negotiation Taemin had managed to get if his family didn't truly believe nymphs existed.

"But we didn't expect you to come to the mountains so quickly after him," Taewoong added. "What brought you here, Lord Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun gazed at him until he saw the Crown Prince twitch slightly in uncertainty, then he diverted his deep, dark eyes toward Taemin and his face softened gently. When he spoke next, it was in the flimsy, blithely language of nymphs that Taewoong couldn't hear.

"Lee Taemin, I want to get the political troubles behind as quickly as possible so we can focus on what truly matters. But I promised our Prince Jonghyun that I would be mindful and wouldn't cause trouble. Still, I don't want to linger only to spare this person's feelings. How much does your brother know and how much do you think he believed in?"

Taemin looked up with a gasp and the shadow of a smile appeared on his lips. By his side, his brother looked taken aback.

"I have told my family that I met Jongin and fell deeply in love with him. I tried to convince them that nymphs do live in the forest, I told them about you, and Kibum... I told them of Jongin's powers and of everything Choi Minho ever taught me about spirits. I told them about our plan, your approval of it. I might have underestimated the task of persuading them of your existence but I feel, through their reactions and questions, that they'd agree to it all if they could only fully trust me. But the mountains elves' hearts have become as hard as the stones our castle is made of. It is only now that I have returned with an open heart that I see and feel and hear and notice everything. Fairies are hiding in the mountains and the caves. I've been speaking to one for the last couple of days, her name is Seulgi. The Elvish dialect they still learn is old and outdated but we managed to converse a little. I'm trying to convince her to help me. I thought that if my family could meet her, maybe they'd believe me. But she is scared and I did not want to force her into anything she wasn't comfortable with. Fairies here have had no contact with elves for centuries."

Taewoong jolted on his seat and stared at his brother in utter incredulity. Baekhyun only smiled.

"A fairy? Fairies in the caves?" Taewoong frowned. "What nonsense is this?"

"Is that so?" Baekhyun hummed, this time in Elvish, but without heeding the Crown Prince. "Maybe things are looking up, then. We won't have to bother the little lady; if your family only needs proof that spirits are still wandering their lands, then I will be glad to help and this will be dealt with in no time."

Relief and gratitude washed over Taemin's face, erasing the traces of anxiety that had wearied his features. His eyes shone softly and Sehun, still quiet on Baekhyun's lap, sighed calmly as he saw Taemin's aura turn from grey into soft twinkles of yellow and green.

"Enough."

Taewoong's stern voice resonated in the room and Taemin saw Baekhyun widen his eyes slightly. It didn't feel like a good omen. He realized that Lord Baekhyun was most likely not used to being treated as an equal, even less so as a curious, foreign visitor that needed to bend to someone else's authority.

"If you wish to assert your-"

"Quiet."

Baekhyun raised his hand and effectively silenced the Crown Prince who looked at him, bewildered.

"If all you need is to see, then keep quiet," Baekhyun said drily.

His hand shone with white light and Taemin was extremely grateful that Taewoong had asked all the guards and domestics to leave them alone, otherwise, they could have been in trouble. His brother gasped and Taemin saw a veil fall over his wide eyes. Taewoong sagged against his chair like a lifeless doll and Taemin couldn't help but snort as he had never seen him in such an undignified posture.

"What did you do to him?" he asked Baekhyun.

"I gave him some of my visions. Nothing too serious, only enough to occupy him while we discuss, and hopefully make him more receptive to my later talk with your parents. He's going to see fairies for the first time in his life."

Taemin nodded peacefully and his eyes fell on Sehun who was silently stuffing his mouth with the small buns that had been brought with their tea. It was a specialty from their lands, but a poor one; the simple fact that Taewoong had asked to be brought the loaves of olive breads as an offering to Baekhyun and Sehun was proof that he didn't think highly of them. But Sehun couldn't know that and he didn't mind it; he was happy to munch on them and seemed to find them exactly to his taste.

Taemin shook his head softly and reported his attention back on the Lord of nymphs.

"Lord Baekhyun," he murmured, "why are you here? What happened to Jongin? I tried to stay calm and work with Seulgi without being pushy... but his flower withered. He offered me a magnolia flower when I left and he told me it wouldn't falter. But it did. It was dry by the time I arrived in the mountains and I haven't been able to sleep properly ever since. I thought about riding back immediately... but my sister told me not to. She's the only one who truly believes me, I think she mostly likes the idea of spirits... she wants me to tell the truth because it sounds so delightful to her. But she said if I left now... it would bring endless problems and difficulties. Still, I miss Jongin so much that I can't breathe. And I can feel that something is wrong."

Taemin's voice quieted down and he let out a sorrowful sigh.

"Do you still have his gift?"

Taemin frowned.

"The flower?"

"His soul," Baekhyun said. "The stone that he offered you once."

Taemin widened his eyes and nodded quickly.

"I do. It's here." He grabbed the little chain around his neck and took out the stone hung to it, cupping it in his hands. "But its light dulled those days... It's cold now."

He went to pass the chain over his head, intending to give it to Baekhyun, but the nymph stopped him with one hand over Taemin's wrist.

"Don't," he hastily said. "Keep it close. Keep it against your skin at all times and please, whatever you do, do not take it off."

Taemin froze and looked at him in distress.

"Lee Taemin," Baekhyun suddenly said in a tired voice. "I should never have let you leave the forest with this around your neck... and Jongin is now paying the price of my forgetfulness. This stone is a part of Jongin, and as you know, Jongin cannot leave the forest. By taking his gift to the mountains, you took a part of him away."

Taemin's face lost of all its colors and he began to tremble as the horror of the situation dawned on him. He looked down at the colorless, cold stone, and his heart stopped.

"How is Jongin?" he asked again in a flat, distant voice.

"He's dying."

Taemin looked up to the nymph and Baekhyun saw his eyes fill with tears. Once again, the nymph couldn't help but think of a lost, frightened child as Taemin looked at him, his face pale, his lips quivering. He saw in colors around him how his heart broke, he saw how terror swallowed him whole, he saw how darkness tried to choke him.

"Dying?" Taemin's voice was only but a faint, incredulous whisper.

"I need to bring you back to Honeyhills as soon as we can," Baekhyun said gently. "We can still save him but we must be quick."

He put his hand over Taemin's arm and tried to chase the darkness away but it clung to the elf with vicious claws.

"Sehun will need a better meal than this," he said while motioning for the little bread crumbs the wind nymph had left all over the fancy tablecloth, "and I will take care of your parents. Then, we must go back immediately."

Taemin blinked quickly and his tears spilled all over his cheeks.

"Yes," he said in a sob, "yes I-... A meal. For Sehun. Wait. No-... You take it. Take the necklace. Bring it back to Jongin... as soon-... yes, as soon as Sehun has eaten. My parents-... It's not important. I'll uh-... I'll stay behind for Jonghyun. I'll take care of everything and then I'll come back. You just go and save my Jongin."

"I cannot."

Taemin whined and wiped his tears away. His head was spinning and he had trouble focusing on everything that Baekhyun was telling him. Only the terror of losing Jongin remained in his empty chest.

"What? Why?"

"Jongin needs you, not me. He needs you as much as he needs the stone around your neck. And if I tried to take it away from you, we would lose him. He survived until now only because of your link, because you had his necklace and watched over it. That's why I need you to keep it close, keep it warm. Talk to him through it if you can."

Taemin tightened his gentle hold on the cold stone and pressed it against his chest.

"I can't-... I can't breathe..." he choked.

Sehun wiggled on Baekhyun's lap, forcing the older nymph to let go of him, and he approached Taemin. He hadn't been able to understand anything of what had been said; he knew nothing of Elvish. But Taemin's suffering was so shattering that he awkwardly wrapped his thin, tiny arms around the elf's shoulders and held him close.

"It's okay, Lee Taemin. I'll bring you back to Jongin quickly, you'll just see."

For a fleeting moment, Taemin gave in to Sehun's tender comfort and sobbed in the young nymph's hair. He smelled of petrichor and the trees of Honeyhills.

But then he pushed the nymph away and pressed the palm of his hands against his eyes and took a long, deep inhale.

"A meal," he croaked. His voice was broken with tears. "You need a meal. Maybe a little rest? What to do? I can't think. I wish you could leave immediately."

"I will bring your brother back to us," Baekhyun told him, "then please, bring us some better sustenance."

Taemin nodded.

"I'm sorry Taewoong was so wary and impolite."

Baekhyun dismissed his worry with a wave.

"Don't worry about that. But Sehun needs to sleep, at least a little. Can we meet your family in a room with a comfortable place for him to rest? We cannot be separated, he will have to remain near me at any time but I'd rather not keep him awake for too long if the discussion goes on."

"Of course, of course. All of that. I'll arrange it all."

Taemin abruptly got up but his shaking knees gave way under him and he fell back on his chair with a gasp. He could feel his heart pound and resonate in his temples. His hands were trembling on his lap and he blinked slowly, looking down at his body as if he couldn't recognize it.

"Lee Taemin?"

He heard Baekhyun but he sounded so far away. He mentally listed everything he needed to do but he couldn't move. He should get up and fetch his parents. Ask for a proper meal. Find a blanket for Sehun. They could go to his sister's study; it was calm and prettily decorated. She would probably agree and Sehun could sleep in her loveseat while they all talked. But all of those thoughts got tangled and blurry. Taemin wondered in what state Baekhyun had left Jongin and how he was doing now. Did he feel the same weight on his chest? Was it worse? How long had he been suffering? Had he prayed and whispered desperately for Taemin's return for the last few days, alone and abandoned? What would happen if Taemin didn't make it back on time? What would happen? What would happen?

Two fingers pressed against Taemin's forehead and he saw white. For a moment, he was blinded. Then the hand withdrew and Taemin shook his head, slightly disoriented.

"Lee Taemin? Do you hear me?"

Taemin swallowed with some difficulty and managed to focus his gaze on the worried nymph.

"Yes? Yes, I... do."

"I am sorry. I know this is a lot to take in."

"I just want to be with him," Taemin murmured. "I should have never-... I should have stayed with him."

He clenched his fists as tight as he could and took a few long, deep breaths.

"Please bring Taewoong back. Tell him to order you a proper dinner and to bring you to Taeeun's office. I will meet you there with my parents."

Without waiting for a confirmation, Taemin got up, nodded decidedly to the two nymphs, and drew away in a slightly unsteady but quick gait.

The door closed behind him and Baekhyun let out a long sigh. Sehun came back to sit on his knees and Baekhyun's hand gently his hair.

"We will get a better dinner now, dear. And then you'll be able to rest for a moment. Are you alright?"

Sehun hummed cheerfully.

"I'm not tired," he chirped, "everything here is so awesome!"

Baekhyun chuckled, then he turned back to Taewoong, still silent and lost in contemplations.

"Now with this child..." he sighed.

He raised his hand and flicked his wrist slightly. The shadows on Taewoong's eyes slowly vanished and he panted noisily, eyes wide and cheeks red.

"Would you be a dear and get us something a little more generous than loaves of olive bread?" Baekhyun asked with a pout.

 

~

 

The news of the enigmatic, enchanting beings from Honeyhills who had just landed in the White Mountains had already traveled across the castle when Taemin left Baekhyun. Thus, when he found his parents and asked them to follow him to his sister's office for an urgent, crucial meeting, they followed easily.

Taeeun's study was quite a majestic room and Baekhyun wondered if every single room in the castle was so grand and impressive. Sehun was fascinated with everything around them, too stunned to be able to pinpoint why, as beautiful as every corner of the castle was, it always seemed to lack something to make him feel at ease.

The ceilings were tall, the floor cold under their bare feet, the walls, doors, and arches intricately carved. The castle breathed a feeling of power and strength, of perfect and immaculate beauty. It was only when his eyes caught sight of Taewoong walking fast before them that Sehun finally realized. The Crown Prince was surrounded in black and red sparkles, and it made him gasp. The young nymph turned around but all he could see was white and grey in the long hallways ahead. The torches on the wall brought some red and yellow here and there but the castle was colorless. Cold and bleak.

Once they reached Taeeun's office, Sehun found solace in the warm, deep green blanket neatly placed in an armchair and he grinned when Baekhyun said he was allowed to bury himself in it and sleep a little, after eating the sumptuous meal that had been brought to them.

Sehun didn't need to be told twice. He sat at the edge of the high armchair – his feet couldn't quite touch the floor – and greedily slumped one of the big bowls of soup on the coffee table. A little further away, Baekhyun was animatedly talking with all the elves but the young nymph couldn't understand anything. He wasn't sure he would have been interested even if he had managed to follow the conversation. Elven matters sounded awfully complicated to him but he still tried to pay a little attention if only to be able to tell Junmyeon of everything he had seen.

Sometimes, Taemin looked back at him and gave him a tiny smile, and Sehun decided that he liked him. Taemin seemed to be the kindest of all the elves Sehun had seen until now, but he wasn't sure if he would tell Junmyeon that because he didn't want his fairy to think he didn't like Choi Minho. It was just that Taemin had a little something extra that spoke to some deep corner of Sehun's heart. He wondered if Taemin would agree to be his friend; he hoped so.

Three of the other elves looked just like Taemin, only, they frowned all the time and didn't seem quite as kind. The last elf, a man who didn't talk that much, had Taemin's nose but long, brown hair. None of them had Baekhyun's presence. Those were all the things Sehun noticed.

The nymph grabbed a plate filled with fried vegetables and eyed the elves critically before grabbing one piece of zucchini between two fingers to sniff it. There was a detonation, then a bright white light, but Sehun didn't seem that fazed. He had seen Baekhyun's powers in action many times already. The elves all seemed surprised though.

It went on for so long that Sehun had time to empty most of the dishes set for Baekhyun and him. Then, perfectly replete, he didn't notice that Taemin was slipping out of the room and he curled up in the armchair, brought the blanket over his shoulders, and fell asleep at once, away from worries, lulled by the gentle voices around him that lost themselves in endless explanations of magic, the world, and gods.

 

~

 

When he reached his bedroom, Taemin took a moment to sit down on his bed and close his eyes. His heart and mind were still swaying with the onslaught of information and contradictory feelings he had been assaulted with in the last few hours.

The plan he had slowly crafted in the last few days had been rendered obsolete. All of his worries and fears had shifted suddenly, leaving him exhausted as well as completely panicked.

You can go to him.

His mother's words still resonated in his ears. He could still see her face painted with awe, delight, and concern all at once.

You can go to him.

It felt implausible. Too good, too sweet to be true. In fact, Taemin would probably have thought he had been dreaming if it wasn't for the gaping, painful wound in his heart. The knowledge that Jongin was on the verge of dying.

Baekhyun was still in his sister's office, finally enjoying a meal while he indulged the royal family in further explanations about spirits and nymphs, and in the meantime, Taemin had been ordered to go pack for their imminent departure.

Taemin brought a hand to his chest and went through his robes to catch Jongin's gift. He drew it away from his clothes and lowered his head to look at it sadly. It had lost its pretty glimmer and warmth.

"It's impossible to bloom in the mountains," Taemin murmured.

He brought the stone to his lips and kissed it tenderly.

"I'm coming back, my Magnolia. Wait for me a little more."

Revived with a sudden burning determination, Taemin got up, stuffed his necklace back against his chest, and packed all he could. Baekhyun had assured him that he had time; they couldn't leave for as long as Sehun slept. But Taemin still did his best to hurry.

As soon as he was done with his luggage, he left his room to run downstairs to the dens. He barely paid attention to the elves he crossed paths with and pushed around with his bags, and shouted some apologies as he raced. Away from the city, at the foot of the mountain, were the plains and caverns where the loyal companions of the elves of Elysrius lived.

The sun was already appearing in the East over the great lake as Taemin passed the limits of the dens and immediately was greeted by a few wolves who howled and walked around him.

"Chinua?" Taemin called loudly. "Chinua, come here."

He was so tired that his voice barely carried through the plains but his beloved wolf still came running from the other side of the large territory. The simple sight of her comforted him more than he thought possible. And when she stopped at her feet, he fell on his knees to hug her tight and listen to her soft sounds, even though he couldn't yet understand her. He hoped one day he would.

"What's wrong, Taemin?"

He breathed in her fur and when he exhaled, his shoulders finally relaxed. He brought one hand to her neck and brushed her fur, more to ground himself than to indulge her.

"Chinua, I must leave."

She straightened on her paws as if to let him know she was ready. She would take him anywhere he needed. Taemin smiled and withdrew enough to look at her face, her shiny snout and kind eyes.

"I must leave without you. Lord Baekhyun came to fetch me..."

"What happened?"

She tilted her head incredulously and his smile turned pained.

"Jongin needs me and Lord Baekhyun... he said he would be faster than you."

She grunted and he couldn't help but let out a nervous chuckle.

"Will you find your way back to Honeyhills? Will you bring those with you, please?" he asked while gesturing to the two bags he had carried there.

Chinua sniffed the bags, then Taemin's face, and she snuck her head on his shoulder for a second.

"Count on me, Taemin."

Taemin rested his head against hers and closed his eyes.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"I'll be waiting for you. You don't have to hurry though, okay? Be safe on the road."

Chinua yipped softly then pushed him away with her snout until he was back on his feet. His smile didn't quite reach his eyes but he still heaved the bags to put them on her back and secure them with a harness. Then he waved at her.

"I'll see you soon."

Taemin turned away and only looked back as he reached the stairs that would bring him back to the city. Chinua was already at the other edge of the plains, going away from her home and to a long trip of her own.

 

~

 

They left a little after dawn. Baekhyun had talked the night away with the royal family; they had decided that Lee Taeeun would be sent as an emissary to talk the situation through with the King and Queen of Honeyhills. And by the time the nymph was finally left alone to rest, Sehun woke up. Taemin had come back to the study as well and Baekhyun refused to ask for more time to sleep.

Taemin had some tea and pastries brought up for them, along with a couple of small loaves of olives bread that Sehun shyly asked for so he could bring them back to Junmyeon, and they ate together in tired, thoughtful silence. Baekhyun looked pale and worn out but he still ate with grace in his movements.

"Lee Taemin," Baekhyun called softly in Nymph so that Sehun could understand too.

"Yes?"

"We will leave after breakfast," he explained softly. "I will turn back into a phoenix and you will have to climb on my back, behind Sehun. You must hold onto him tightly because we will go extremely fast."

Taemin nodded quietly while still nibbling on his milk bun.

"Once we'll arrive in the forest, you must go to Jongin immediately. Do not worry about me or Sehun, no matter the state we land in."

At those words, Taemin froze and frowned, but Baekhyun didn't give him enough time to voice any question.

"I am quite tired and the trip back will most likely drain me of my last ounces of strength. But Yixing will be waiting for us and he will take care of me. I ask you not to worry, not to linger. Jongin needs you far more than I will. And you must run to him. You promise me?"

Sehun turned his head, wide eyes staring at Taemin as he ate his third marmelade donut in a row.

"I promise," Taemin murmured.

"Good. Thank you."

Once all their teacups were empty, they left. Taemin safely kept the small pouches full of olives buns in the inside of his coat and they went through the long, silent, cold maze of hallways down to the entrance of the castle. Even in the gentle light of the new day, the castle of Elysrius still looked colorless.

A small crowd had gathered outside: the royal family, a dozen guards, and curious elves who had heard the unbelievable whispers and desperately wanted to catch sight of a nymph. Baekhyun gave them the show they all had quietly wished for.

Taemin bid his family goodbye and found comfort in knowing his sister would soon come to visit him. He kissed his mother's cheeks and thanked her for her benevolence and understanding. As he bowed to his brother, a shimmering light glowed in the courtyard and behind him, Baekhyun slowly turned into his magnificent phoenix form. A wave of gasps and awed exclamations shook their audience.

Taemin grabbed his necklace through his clothes and held it tight as he turned away from his family to walk to Baekhyun and Sehun waiting for him. The trip back home would have delighted him if he had been able to leave in other circumstances; the deep realization that his home was now the forest of Honeyhills, and not the White Mountains, made him smile meekly. His heart was pounding with the excitation of going back to his place of comfort and safety. To Jongin.

Taemin was a little clumsy and awkward when he tried to haul himself on Baekhyun's back. He was scared to twist his feathers or be too heavy, but the nymph didn't bat an eye until Taemin was securely seated behind Sehun.

The young nymph turned around to give Taemin a bright grin and Taemin answered with a gentle smile before he wrapped his arms around his tiny waist. Baekhyun spread out his wings and soared into the sky in one smooth, powerful move that took a joyful cry out of Sehun.

The motion of Baekhyun's wings sent red and orange sparkles all over the courtyard, and the mountain elves cried out in surprise. But Taemin barely perceived their voices; they were already high amongst clouds before his people could close their mouths and the wind around them whistled noisily in his ears.

"Dear Light," Taemin exclaimed.

Baekhyun and Sehun laughed in concert.

For a moment, Taemin was petrified with terror. He had been so worried over Jongin the last few hours that he had failed to imagine what it would be like to fly for the first time, on a phoenix's back no less, and accompanied by a powerful wind nymph who would do his very best to make them travel as fast as he could. But even if he had managed to ponder about it, he wasn't sure he could have envisioned the terrible dread of feeling like his body was going up while all of his internal organs stayed firmly planted on the ground. He was cold and the wind slapped his cheeks, neck, and thighs. There was nothing to grab, nothing firm to hold onto, and his feet dangled in the air.

He didn't realize that he was panting in sheer panic until he felt Sehun pulling on his hands to loosen his grip. His fright peaked.

"Calm down, Lee Taemin," suddenly came Sehun's very gentle young voice. "I got you."

Baekhyun stabilized, high in the sky, and glided on the gentle drafts.

Sehun turned to look at him once more and Taemin found himself wrapped up in warmth. The loud noises of the winds quieted down to soft murmurs and the air seemed to grow thicker in a way that he couldn't explain. As if it was holding him in place on the phoenix's back.

"Thank you," he said.

Sehun smiled cutely and reported his attention forward. The day was rising and the sun was casting pretty colors on the dark landscapes beneath them. Taemin saw Baekhyun's feathers glow and spread a golden filter on the endless plains of green grass far below. His heart calmed down to a regular beat and he closed his eyes for a second.

"Isn't it nice? To fly?" Sehun giggled. "I think it's awesome."

"Yes," Taemin murmured. "Yes, it is."

Sehun held out his arms on both sides of Baekhyun and began to sing in Faerish a little song that Junmyeon once taught him.

"I will ride, I will fly... Chase the wind and touch the sky... I will fly... Chase the wind and touch the sky..."

 

~

 

The sun was high in the sky and warm against their skins by the time the forest finally appeared, a vague sea of trees in the distance. Sehun was calmer and completely silent in front of Taemin. He had buried his small hands in Baekhyun's feathers an hour ago and hadn't moved since then.

Taemin could feel the tiredness of the two nymphs, the exhaustion wearing them down. And a deep relief washed over them at the sight of their home. Taemin was spent too; his whole body was sore, stiff, and aching from the long flight. His head was heavy and spinning. How he wished to lay down under a tree and nap for a while. Then wake up in a sea of flowers, with Jongin by his side.

They crossed the last miles laboriously, Baekhyun barely had the energy to follow Sehun's drafts and keep them upright. But the closer they got to the edge of the forest, the more impatient they all grew and Taemin's heart began to race with nervousness.

He battled with his mind to discard the fear of arriving too late. He couldn't let himself panic again. Jongin needed him lively and quick.

"Remember, Lee Taemin," Baekhyun sighed painfully, "that you promised to run as soon as we land."

"I will," Taemin murmured through the knot in his throat.

Sehun's wind shook the high trees below them and a shudder seemed to pass through the whole forest. Baekhyun lowered slowly, then abruptly plummeted to earth.

The trees stepped aside beneath them. Taemin gasped when he felt the warm, sturdy body of Baekhyun disappear in the blink of an eye. But a strong gush of wind held him back before he could fall, and gently brought him down to the ground.

Baekhyun had fainted and shifted back; his body laid on a small cushion of moss on the ground, pale and shivering. Sehun ran in the air to kneel beside him with a soft, heartbroken gasp.

"Baekhyun-ah?" he called quietly.

When the wind gently lowered him and his feet finally touched the ground, Taemin stood a moment in disbelief. Before he could initiate a movement toward them, Sehun looked up and frowned at him. They stared at each other for a second that felt like a whole minute, then Taemin jolted and ran away.

His tensed, sore limbs shook and gave way under him, and he stumbled on the ground but he got back up without a word and scurried between the trees. His wide eyes looked around, trying to see if he recognized anything but the familiar trees all looked the same.

He was panicking again, sweating in his clothes and breathing heavily through his dry mouth. His mind was full of thoughts about Jongin and he couldn't calm down. His feet bumped against roots and rocks. He grazed his palms as he kept falling in his haste, and soon, he ended up fumbling with his coat, untying it to leave it behind without a care. A fleeting thought crossed his mind about the little bag with the loaves of olive bread for Junmyeon, but he couldn't turn around.

He was running around aimlessly, anxious and short of breath, when he fell again and planted his face in a heap of high grass. He tried to heave himself up but his elbows trembled and he collapsed on the ground pitifully.

"Please," he murmured through gritted teeth, nose pressed on the earth. "Please let me get to him. I beg you. Let me find Jongin."

A sob escaped his lips. Then, he felt warmth against the back of his head. The sun pierced through the thick foliage of trees and suddenly lighted up the semblance of a path that he had run into. With a soft sigh, Taemin lifted his head. His glassy eyes squinted on a little red mark under his nose and he noticed a ladybug gently climbing a leaf.

Taemin blinked dumbly and the small insect took off. The forest was serene around them, so much that Taemin wondered why he had been so nervous. Why he hadn't asked for help sooner. He noticed the birds chirping all around, unaware of his distress. His eyes followed the ladybug until she flew too far away for him to perceive her anymore. Only then did he see the curtain of lush, green plants ahead of him.

It was a door; one that he knew well. Taemin relaxed on the ground and slowly stood back up. He marched down to the secret entrance of his nymph's clearing and the feeling of finally being home spread in his heart and chest.

He pushed the heavy branches away and bent slowly to enter the protected path to Jongin's home. The forest had soothed his soul for a moment but as he walked up to the clearing, dread settled back down, low in his stomach. The dense, luxuriant greenery of mid-summer had withered in the meadow. Where he remembered bushes of hundreds of colorful flowers, he saw only brown stems and dead blossoms.

A chill ran down his spine and when he finally reached the wonderful clearing, Taemin gasped. It was quiet. Even Kibum's waterfall fell silently, water hitting the surface slowly and barely producing any ripple. Dead leaves cracked under his feet louder than it did in the dead of Autumn. But more than anything, it was the sight of the willow tree that broke Taemin's heart. It stood crumpled, leafless, sad, and desolated.

Taemin silenced his sobs by pressing a hand against his lips as he staggered forward.

He heard a few cracks, then someone appeared by the hollow between the willow's roots.

"Who is it?" came Kibum's low voice.

It was barely a whisper but it resonated in the meadow. The nymph saw Taemin before he could answer, and he gasped audibly.

"Taemin!" he squeaked.

Kibum hurried to wriggle out of Jongin's nest and ran to hug him, tighter than he had ever held him.

"You're here," he cried out between tears of relief. "You're here. Please go. Please go to him. Please bring him back."

Too stunned to form a coherent sentence, Taemin nodded and let Kibum push him to the willow tree. The roots sank under his feet and with them, Taemin's heart.

Jongin's nest was cloaked in such darkness that Taemin cowered slightly, unable to get his bearings until his eyes adjusted and he finally noticed the tiny spark of light in one corner of the hollow. But his nose was immediately assaulted with a deep scent of decay and rotten flowers. It turned his stomach.

"Jongin?"

"He's here."

Taemin heard fingers snap and a multitude of yellow lights appeared around the nest like a flock of fireflies. Then he saw him – or what he thought was Jongin.

A form laid on the ground, immobile, covered in moss and roots as if the earth was trying to claim him back, and next to him was Kyungsoo.

Taemin rushed to them and fell loudly on the ground with a pained cry. He brought his hands to the cold roots and bent to try to see Jongin more clearly.

"Nini," he choked, "my love, I'm here."

Silence answered him and Taemin curled up on Jongin's side, his hands caressing the moss spread all over him as tenderly as he could.

"Jongin," he murmured through his tears, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Please, forgive me. I came back. I won't ever go away again. I promise. Please, Jongin."

He didn't pay attention to the low buzz of Kyungsoo going away. Taemin remained uncomfortably stretched out over Jongin, whispering heartbroken apologies between fond kisses he pressed on the roots with prayers for them to go away.

"I'm here. And I love you, my Magnolia. I love you."

Taemin brought his hand under his shirt and grabbed his necklace. He took it off his neck and slid it between the large roots, toward Jongin.

"I brought it back. Please, please, come back to me."

He waited as if he expected some magic, some tiny sparkle to turn the ties down, but nothing happened.

Taemin sighed and laid his head against Jongin's shoulder.

"What must I do, Nini?" he murmured between sobs. "Please you have to come back. You can't leave me. You have to love me forever. You promised."

He sniffed and wiped the tears from his face, then he waited. In vain. There was no warming light, no ladybug. He only sat there, defeated, his heart breaking into tinier and tinier pieces as the realization that Jongin was gone slowly sat down deep in his lungs.

"I can't breathe," he wept meekly. "Jongin, I can't breathe."

Taemin collapsed on Jongin, his pleas fading into desperate sobs. Then, he felt it. Feeble and slow at first. The roots were moving, withdrawing leisurely. Taemin almost choked on his tears and he froze, too terrified to move or even blink. The roots sagged and retracted, and Taemin fell on Jongin's cold but soft body. He wheezed and turned to look at his face, but Jongin had his eyes closed. He was still immobile and quiet, but Taemin's head span with hope. His heart raced. With trembling hands, he cupped Jongin's cheek and chin as best as he could and bent to leave a few kisses on his nose, his cheekbone, and his forehead.

He couldn't utter anything other than his name, over and over, like a mantra.

When he noticed Jongin taking a deep breath, he smiled through his tears and pressed his face in his hair.

"I'm here, Love. I'm here with you."

He felt around to find his necklace back and held it tight. Then he stretched his sore body and laid right against Jongin, one arm wrapped around his waist.

"I'm right here," he murmured again. "I'll stay with you."

His eyes didn't leave Jongin's face. He was waiting, hoping for the faintest move, for his eyes to open and look at him.

The first thing he noticed was the putrid smell of withered flowers vanishing. He heard a few cracks and felt soft breezes of air slipping between the willow's roots over their heads and bringing back the soft scent of earth.

Taemin sniffed again and breathed loudly through his mouth, then he relaxed.

"Take your time, Nini. I'll wait."

He folded one of his arms under his head and brought his other hand to Jongin's face. His fingers brushed against his hair, following the line of his ear and his jaw in a tender caress, and he smiled happily. For hours, Taemin lovingly looked over Jongin's sleeping face and waited for his nymph to find his way back. Until ultimately, the weariness of the last two days took over him and he fell asleep in turn, his hand curled in Jongin's neck.

In deep slumber after hours and days of worries and fear, Taemin dreamed about Jongin holding him in his arms, answering his love confessions with giggles and flowers.

 

~

 

Taemin woke up to gentle fingers in his hair and plushy lips against his nose. He wondered how late it was. And where he was. It all came back to him.

"Jongin," he whimpered as he jolted and opened his eyes wide.

Kyungsoo's spell had dulled but Taemin didn't need his little light bubbles anymore. Jongin was looking at him with a sleepy smile. He was glowing faintly, just enough for Taemin to admire his golden skin, the pretty pink of his lips, the lovely sparkles of green in his shiny eyes.

"Nini," Taemin murmured, breathless.

Jongin's face softened even more.

"Tae-mi-n..." he smiled. "You came back."

Taemin's lips trembled and he let out a strange sob that had Jongin widening his eyes for a second.

"Of course, I came back," he cried. "I shouldn't have left. Jongin, I'm so sorry. So sorry. I thought I lost you... Dear Light, I thought I lost you."

Jongin brushed his thumb over Taemin's lips to appease him but his elf was too shaken and overwhelmed and he kept on rambling.

"But you know I-... Baekhyun helped me and all is well now. I can stay here. Forever. I'll stay with you. My mother agreed and so-..."

Jongin pushed his thumb against his lips again and pouted softly.

"Too many words. I'm so tired."

Taemin swallowed with difficulty but nodded and he was about to apologize in a tiny whisper when Jongin sighed and slowly rolled closer. He kissed him.

Taemin felt a heavy weight instantly lifting from his chest. He slipped his hand behind Jongin's neck and kissed him back with all the softness, love, and tenderness that he had.

As Jongin completely covered him, pushing him until his back laid flat on the ground, Taemin realized how close he had been to lose everything that mattered to him. But Jongin was warm on top of him, glowing and gentle, kissing him lazily but with as much reverence and adoration as he always had. A sob soared in his throat and morphed into a nervous giggle. Jongin smiled against his lips.

"I love you," Taemin murmured.

Jongin nibbled his bottom lip, then deepened their kiss. A heady scent of roses and dahlias spread around them. Taemin felt soft petals under the pulp of his fingers and he tightened his hold on Jongin.

Faint and far away, he heard a few exclamations of joy and he wondered if the flowers had reached Kibum and Kyungsoo already.

Jongin left his lips with a sigh and slumped on Taemin tiredly. He hid his face in his lover's neck and inhaled deeply.

"You said you'll stay...?"

His voice was tiny and shy. Taemin smiled against his ear and held him as tightly as he could.

"Always and forever, Jongin."

He felt Jongin shudder above him. A few tears fell on Taemin's neck, rolling on his skin. But before he could worry, he saw the golden glow around his nymph grow and reach all corners of the nest, even piercing through the few holes in the willow tree's roots. Then, with wide eyes, Taemin watched as grass sprouted on the ground, stems and leaves unfurled everywhere, immediately followed by vibrant, gorgeous magnolia flowers. Never before had Taemin seen any of Jongin's flowers grow so quickly. Never before had he seen his nymph conjure that many blossoms at once. A whole heavenly garden came out from the ground in mere seconds and Taemin couldn't keep up with all the flowers he saw appearing.

The cries of joy outside grew louder, then completely incredulous, and Taemin grinned.

"Always and forever..." Jongin repeated as he lifted his head. Taemin saw the tears in his eyes and the smile on his face. "You're really mine now. At last."

Taemin's face softened.

"Kiss me again."

Jongin slowly brought their forehead together and rubbed their nose cutely before he lowered his chin and kissed Taemin.

The evening was slowly falling outside but the nymphs' clearing was still blooming for hours into the night until every trace of its sad decay was gone, buried under bushes lusher and denser than they all had ever seen.

Jongin was too exhausted to move yet and he remained hidden in his nest, in Taemin's arms, among their enchanted garden, until dawn.

.

.

.

My lovelies,

I can't believe I finally got to write this chapter. The second to last chapter of Magnolia Boy. This is the end I've envisioned since the very beginning & I was extremely emotional to be able to write it... finally! finally... This is the grand finale I've built the whole story around. The reason for everything. & I so, so hope that you loved it. I so hope that it allowed the whole story to fall into place.

This was the last Angst. And the next chapter will give you all the happy endings I promised from the beginning.

Thank you for reading. Please take of yourself until next time ♥

find me on twitter // curiouscat