The secrets unveiled

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 16 : The secrets unveiled

.

Kyungsoo had been going back and forth in his home for the last twenty minutes. He was trying to find his second sock, his hat, and his scarf, but they seemed to have disappeared into thin air. And so, he rummaged through his whole bedroom, then through his living room, and he even put his kitchen upside down in his quest. In vain. He was pestering, eyebrows furrowed harshly, and cursed loudly when he hit his uncovered foot against a door frame as he raced to the bathroom.

The truth was that Kyungsoo's mind was completely elsewhere, and he was so deep in thoughts that he coudn't even see his hat and scarf hanging on his coat rack, or his second sock, laying on the floor, in front of his bed. He was grumbling, giving hard stares at his ceiling, and huffing and puffing as if his life depended on it. When a sudden knock on his front door resonated through his home, Kyungsoo jumped, growled, and complained to no one in particular, as he made his way to his entrance.

"Yes?!" He barked.

It was Jongdae, looking at him with a surprised expression that soon contorted into a pout.

"You wanted to see me...?" Jongdae drawled with a suspicious stare.

He didn't came all the way here from the castle to be yelled at. And Kyungsoo seemed in the mood to yell at someone.

But the oldest fairy relaxed a bit at the sight of him and his frown even eased out a little.

"Oh, Jongdae. Thank you for coming."

Kyungsoo moved out of the way to let Jongdae come in, and he closed behind him. It was silent for a moment, Jongdae eyeing his friend suspiciously before he sighed.

"How are you?" He asked tentatively.

But Kyungsoo snorted and waved his hand.

"I don't want to discuss my feelings. I need to ask you a favor, are you busy at the castle lately?"

Jongdae tilted his head to the right and shrugged.

"It depends. What do you need me for?" He admitted.

"I wanted to ask you if you could spend some time with Jongin," Kyungsoo murmured.

"What?"

Jongdae's eyes widened as he stared at Kyungsoo. The oldest fairy seemed quite serious.

"Kibum is asleep, from freeze, and Jongin isn't doing so well. I'm trying to spend as much time as possible with him, but sometimes I'm required here in Hazelbarrow. And... well, when it's me, all he wants to do is learn elvish. He doesn't want to play or do anything else. I tried to get in touch with that faun, Chanyeol, and he has been doing his best to cheer Jongin up, but I thought he would be happy to see you too... I thought you two could go on some adventures or whatever, like you always do..."

Jongdae quietly nodded, a little frown appearing on his face.

"Is it that bad? I mean, I heard from Junmyeon about what happened... I thought Jongin might be a little thrown-off, but-... I don't know."

"He's miserable," Kyungsoo sighed. "Both because of the whole thing with Prince Taemin, and because Kibum froze while he wasn't there. And I feel so guilty. We talked about his elf so many times, I just can't figure out how his royalty was never mentioned. I mean, I assumed he knew... but I can't understand how it never came into the discussion even by accident. When did I lose the title when talking about Prince Taemin? When did I start talking like that simpleton Jinki?"

Jongdae came closer and awkwardly patted him on the shoulder gently.

"It's no use to be mad at yourself now."

"I know. But he's so gloomy, and I could see how much he was falling for the prince and I didn't do anything."

"I promise I'll go see him," Jongdae whispered.

"Thank you."

Kyungsoo nodded twice, without really looking at the other fairy, as if he was trying to chase some sad thoughts out of his mind. Then he turned around, and paced through his house all over again.

"What are you doing?"

"... 'searching for my hat and scarf," Kyungsoo mumbled.

Jongdae looked at him silently, one of his eyebrows raised on his forehead, before he slowly went back to the door, taking said accessories from the coat rack.

"Those?" He asked.

Kyungsoo stopped himself from rummaging in his closet for the umpteenth time, and glanced at him, taken aback.

"Oh. Oh yes. Well, thank you."

"Where are you going like that, if I may ask?"

"I'm going to see Lord Baekhyun."

Jongdae's face immediately lightened up like a firefly and he smiled brightly.

"Oh really? Can I come with you? Can I see Lord Baekhyun too?"

Kyungsoo coughed and gave him a stern look.

"Why do you want to see him?"

"Because he's so funny," Jongdae only answered.

"I'm not going for some courteous meeting. I'm actually pretty mad at him and I'm about to go give him a piece of my mind about how he's dealing with Jongin. He had to know what was about to come and I can't see how all of this could go well now. He was the one asking us not to do anything and now I have to take care of a Jongin who makes flowers wither around him and it is not acceptable."

"Oh," came Jongdae's only reply.

There was a little silence between the two of them; Kyungsoo scrutinized him with piercing eyes before he put his hat on and went to his door.

"You can still come with me if you want, but don't distract him."

Jongdae had never actually thought about where Lord Baekhyun could possibly live. He knew nymphs were bounded to a special place and stayed there all their lives, but it was a bit difficult to envision where a nymph of Light could have been born.

Kyungsoo warned him that the way to find Baekhyun was a bit tricky and difficult and that he should not try to memorize it, for the nymph hadn't actually given him any authorization to come, yet.

"What if he's mad that I came, then?"

"If he doesn't want you to come, you won't pass the barriers anyway, and you'll be thrown back to some random corner of the forest."

Jongdae swallowed hard and came flying a little bit closer to Kyungsoo.

They flew to the swamps, going up and down and between high roots of trees. They passed over the stones valley and above the wild fields next to the leprechauns village. Jongdae didn't dare to say anything as he followed a very focused Kyungsoo. They were turning right, and left, getting around trees that looked all the same to the youngest fairy, and he wondered how Kyungsoo could even tell them apart.

They dipped through branches and spun around until they arrived in front of a small path. It was surrounded by shrubs forming arches high above their tiny heads, and suddenly, Kyungsoo started to fly in large loops. Jongdae blinked a few times before imitating him. It was making him dizzy and he had no idea why they had to fly like that, but Kyungsoo was too much of a serious fairy for him to question the process. The path suddenly halted in front of a very large oak tree, and Kyungsoo plunged through its roots into a large hole. Jongdae wasn't sure if he was still flying, or just falling, but his ears were whistling and his heart was hammering. He couldn't see anything past his nose and he wondered if this was a barrier he hadn't pass, and maybe he was about to get thrown away. But fresh air suddenly hit his face, daylight blinded him and he couldn't help the slight laugh that left his lips. He could still see Kyungsoo flying down beneath him, and his eyes widened suddenly. There, under Kyungsoo, was a pond, and before he could ask anything, or cry out, or try to avoid the impact, he dived in it. He hadn't even time to brace himself and inhale some air before he drowned in the warm water. For a second, he wondered why it wasn't cold as ice, but then priorities came back to his brain and he wiggled around, trying to swim desperately to get back to the surface. He couldn't open his eyes, he had no idea if Kyungsoo was still around and if he needed to do anything in particular. But he knew he needed air. He finally managed to sprung out of the pond and coughed loudly as he blinked his eyes open.

Kyungsoo was sitting on the shore, magically warming himself up.

"Oh, you made it," he simply said with a gentle smile aimed at Jongdae.

The youngest fairy frowned and swam to him. Before he could start whining, very legitimately in his opinion, Kyungsoo went up and turned away.

"Welcome to Lord Baekhyun's house."

With a hiccup, Jongdae finally looked around. He was swimming in a narrow little river running around a gigantic tree with large, visible roots. Its entire trunk was covered in leaves and flowers. Jongdae had never seen a tree quite like this one. It was massive, with bushy leaves still ornating its branches even through winter. It was glowing. A myriad of tiny string of lights were twisted around its trunk, up to its foliage. It was standing proud and impressive, surrounded by light stones and rock, water lilies and all kind of flowers.

And suddenly, it made sense. Lord Baekhyun couldn't possibly live in any other place than this haven of peace and beauty.

"What brings you to my home today, my lovely fairies?" came the soft and light voice of Baekhyun, as he let himself fall gracefully on the ground from a higher branch.

Kyungsoo's face immediately lost the slight expression of awe that the sight of Baekhyun's house always triggered, and he flew to him with furrowed eyebrows.

"As if you didn't know," he whispered between gritted teeth.

Baekhyun seemed surprised at his animosity, and he cupped him in his palm to pout at him.

"I do not see everything, my dear. I see a lot. But not everything."

"I came here for Jongin, of course," Kyungsoo huffed.

Baekhyun seemed concerned for a second, as if he was searching something in his mind to explain why Kyungsoo would look so upset. But then he blinked away, and turned to Jongdae, who was standing shyly on the ground, looking up at him.

Baekhyun came closer and smiled at the fairy.

"What about you?"

Jongdae scratched his neck and shrugged.

"I don't have any reason, my Lord. I just took the opportunity to see you again," he admitted.

A large grin bloomed on the nymoph's face and he scrunched his nose at Jongdae.

"You really are a cute little thing, aren't you?"

"Lord Baekhyun, can you focus on me, please?" Kyungsoo grunted.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes but sat on some rock and turned back to him.

"You are cute too, my dear. Don't be so jealous."

Kyungsoo pinched the bridge of his nose with two fingers but didn't comment on that. Instead he breathed deeply.

"You said you wouldn't let anyone hurt your nymphs. You said I could trust you. But Jongin is hurting so much and it's all your fault. What do you have to say about this, uh?"

Baekhyun straightened up with wide eyes.

"What do you mean Jongin is hurting?"

Somehow, his surprise made Kyungsoo even more grumpy.

"He learned that the elf he fell in love with is a prince who's about to get married to someone else, and now his heart is broken and flowers die around him!"

"Oh, that," Baekhyun only answered, his face relaxing again.

Kyungsoo froze on his spot, and Jongdae winced when he saw the hollow look in his eyes.

"What do you mean 'oh, that'?" Jongdae asked in a blank voice.

"It was bound to happen," Baekhyun whispered with a slight move of his hand, as if he was dismissing a random thought.

Kyungsoo's face burned red with fury. He stayed silent for a few seconds, as he had no idea how to even properly form coherent sentences to express his wrath. Jongdae swallowed with some difficulties before he tried to ask anything.

"You knew about it?"

"Of course."

"Then why didn't you do anything?" Kyungsoo exploded.

Baekhyun sighed and glanced at him with a hint of displeasure.

"Please calm down, I do not like the aura of anger you are letting out."

Kyungsoo huffed and puffed his cheeks with irritation. He tried to remind himself that he was talking with Lord Baekhyun, and that no matter how angry he was and how much they knew each other, he still had to show respect to the nymph.

"Certain things need to happen, Kyungsoo. I cannot go around and prevent things from happening only because I am not so pleased with them. It had to come to that. Jongin had to go through this. You still have to trust me."

"But he is in so much sadness," Kyungsoo pleaded. "Why would you let that happen? It's not just a trivial little thing..."

His fury suddenly transformed in hurt and pain. Jongdae could see it on his face. As if he was broken just at the thought of Jongin suffering.

"It is not trivial to Jongin. And it is not trivial to you, who loves Jongin so much. But it is small and light to me, who can see further."

"I thought there wasn't anything more important to you than your nymphs."

"There isn't," Baekhyun said, and his voice was so soft in that moment, that Jongdae let out a sigh. "But Kyungsoo, I know the ending of the story."

Kyungsoo pinched his lips and blinked a couple of times. He was trying to keep his tears away.

"Is it good? Will he be happy? I cannot see how it could end well, right now."

Baekhyun came closer to the fairy, and Kyungsoo had to squint to look at him.

"Things will get better. Trust me."

Kyungsoo stayed silent, putting his fists against his eyes as he tried to control his breaths.

"I'm still upset," he murmured.

"I know. You have a right to be upset."

Kyungsoo sniffed and rubbed at his nose to gain some composure. And Baekhyun slowly turned to Jongdae. He looked at the fairy longly, and Jongdae felt like the nymph was reading his soul. Then he realized it was probably what was happening. Or something quite close to it.

"You can ask," Baekhyun only said.

"I'm sorry?" Jongdae coughed.

"That question in your mind. You can ask it."

Jongdae seemed uncomfortable for a moment, but then he nodded and looked over at Kyungsoo.

"Why is Jongin so important to you?" He inquired. "I mean-... he's important to me too. But-... you know."

His voice had gone smaller at the end of his sentence and Kyungsoo understood the worry behind. What Jongdae really was asking, was why he was caring that much. Why was he losing his temper and mind over this?

"Because I'm his Protector," Kyungsoo sighed. "I thought you had figured it out already."

Baekhyun had a soft, tender smile at that, and Jongdae only frowned, looking in turns at the both of them without understanding.

"What do you mean 'Protector'?"

"That's something you learn, Jongdae," Kyungsoo breathed out. "I mean, you would have, if you had been just a little bit interested in your studies."

Jongdae pouted and crossed his arms over his chest with a grunt.

"Every nymph has a fairy," Baekhyun interfered. "But not every fairy has a nymph, I might say."

He laughed lowly and Jongdae looked at him in awe.

"When a nymph is born, the forest pick one fairy to take care of them. Kyungsoo was chosen to always watch over Jongin, to help and guide him, and love him unconditionally. And protect him, of course."

Jongdae let out a little exclamation of surprise and wonder.

"Jongin and Kyungsoo are special, though," Baekhyun mused with a smile. "I keep thinking Jongin was picked for Kyungsoo and not the other way around."

Kyungsoo cowered at that comment, hiding his face in between his folded legs.

"Why is that?" Jongdae asked breathlessly, already caught up in the story.

"Kibum was the first nymph to come to life after the war. And Jongin followed soon after. It's unusual for two nymphs to appear in such a short amount of time. They barely are five years apart. Coincidentally, Jongin came to us when Kyungsoo was about to go away."

Jongdae looked back at the other fairy who closed his eyes in apparent tiredness.

"Where were you going?" He asked, softly.

"I was about to sleep, when Baekhyun came to me," Kyungsoo only said.

And it was clear, in his voice, that he was speaking about the long sleep fairies took when they chose to go back to the heart of the forest. When the long years of their lives were finally enough, and they wished for calm. It frightened Jongdae.

"I was tired," Kyungsoo explained. "And I had lost everything I ever cared about in the war."

Jongdae wanted to ask, what exactly Kyungsoo had lost in battles, but it still seemed very painful to the older fairy, and he didn't want to open up painful scars when his friend was already weak from his worry for Jongin.

"I couldn't feel anything anymore. Until Baekhyun came and brought me to that clearing where Kibum was born. And I saw him. He was no bigger than a nut," Kyungsoo continued, in a tight voice. "He was so small I couldn't believe my eyes. But the forest told me he needed me. That very small, fragile thing that resembled a bundle of weed, needed me somehow. At first I was upset, because I had made all my plans, I had taken care of everything to finally sleep and find some peace. And here was that tiny spirit asking me to stay for him. But he grew. He was bigger than me so fast. And the first time he opened his eyes... life made sense again."

Kyungsoo took a small break, and Jongdae didn't dare to say anything anymore.

"I once lost the person I loved the most. And I thought I would never love again. But I got Jongin and he showed me that I could love him in such a different way, but with an intensity just alike. He was so curious about everything around him, he kept asking ten thousands questions and then he would keep himself entertained by playing with his own toes for hours. For him, I have a tenderness that I cannot compare. Thus, seeing him heartbroken puts me in a deep sorrow, for I know how painful it is and I wanted him to never know such distress."

A heavy, long sigh, left his mouth.

Baekhyun reached out to him with his hand, one finger coming to his back gently.

"Jongin didn't lose his Taemin forever. I promise you."

Kyungsoo looked at him longly with pleated eyes, as if he was assessing how much he could still trust the quirky nymph.

"They'll soon find each other in Nowhere again," Baekhyun continued. "I assure you. So many things are going to happen in there."

Kyungsoo snorted at the mere mention of the house lost in the forest.

"That damned place," he murmured with exasperation.

"What the matter with Nowhere, now?" Baekhyun complained. "Such a terrible mood you are in today."

"It was a hassle to find back," Kyungsoo said with a grumble. "A place that you can find only when you get lost, really."

Baekhyun looked genuinely surprised at his words.

"I personally find it more of a struggle not to end up in Nowhere three times a day."

There was a little silence. Jongdae had been moving his head back and forth between the two of them, listening to the conversation with an intense focus, as if Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were discussing the mysteries of the universe.

But Kyungsoo was frowning.

"What do you mean? I actually wonder how you could even get lost in the first place, when you know the forest like you planted each tree of it. I thought you always used a portal to go there."

Baekhyun bursts out in laughter and Kyungsoo gritted his teeth, getting the annoying feeling that he had missed out on something quite big.

"You silly," Baekhyun exclaimed in a singing voice. "But of course I never get lost in the forest. You don't have to, I thought you had figured that out. Jongin did."

Kyungsoo's eyes widened impossibly as his cheeks reddened with shame. He could hear Jongdae cough next to him to hide his chortle, but it wasn't exactly effective.

"What do you mean?" Kyungsoo shrieked. "You told me I had to get lost to go there."

"Yes, yes of course. But I didn't necessarily mean in the forest. I usually get lost in thoughts. You only have not to think about getting to Nowhere, so you can get there, you see? I'm always so caught up in visions and concerns, I find myself up that hill all the time without meaning to."

Kyungsoo was so red by now, Jongdae was sure he was about to explode. Or maybe smoke would be going out from his ears soon enough.

"Why didn't you tell me that before?"

"I thought it was quite logical."

Kyungsoo let out a tired sigh as he let himself fall backwards, stretching out his tiny body on the rock he was laying on. He was starting to regret coming to Baekhyun in the first place. What had he been expecting, really? It was always the same with that nymph, ever since they met. No matter what Kyungsoo was blaming him for, Baekhyun always escaped his wrath with a twirl, and then proceeded to annoy him all over again.

Still he was, after Jongin, the one person Kyungsoo cared for the most.

Baekhyun turned to Jongdae and stared at him longly.

"My dear," he finally said after a time long enough for Jongdae's throat to go dry.

The tip of the fairy's ears went red. Lord Baekhyun had called him dear.

"Yes?" He asked eagerly.

"I will need you to do two things for me."

Jongdae nodded and waited for instructions, his hands folded over his lap.

"First, could you talk to Junmyeon and remind him that I need to meet him after the storm? He didn't answer my last note."

"A storm?" Jongdae asked, surprised. "Which storm?"

Kyungsoo straightened his head at that with a frown.

"The one that is coming," Baekhyun calmly said. "A rather big one, I might say. You should make adjustments both in Hazelbarrow and in Melalhil, so that nobody will get hurt."

Jongdae's face became livid with panic.

"Okay, okay then. I will remind Junmyeon. I will prepare everything," he squealed.

"When is that storm supposed to come?" Kyungsoo asked.

"I don't know. At some point between tomorrow and in the next two decades, I suppose," Baekhyun answered with a dismissing move of his hand.

Jongdae froze and Kyungsoo snorted.

"Thank you for the information," Kyungsoo sighed.

"I do know it will come during winter," Baekhyun continued, as if he hadn't been interrupted. "It will come fast and unannounced."

The two fairies looked at each other in confusion. Kyungsoo knew the Council of High Fairies wouldn't be so happy to have to accommodate to a storm coming out of nowhere at an unknown date, but Baekhyun's predictions, if vague, always proved to be true sooner or later. It wasn't a problem they could ignore so easily, no matter how much Kyungsoo wanted to just forget about this stupidity.

"Jongdae?" Baekhyun called again, and the fairy turned back at him.

"Yes, my Lord?"

"When you have questions, you should ask them."

Jongdae frowned a bit at that.

"I do not have any question."

"Not now, yes. This is my second wish for you to do."

Jongdae nodded slowly in agreement, still unsure about what Baekhyun was waiting from him in the end.

After that, Baekhyun got up, ever so gracefully, and walked away humming something Jongdae had never heard. The nymph turned around his tree, and his voice disappeared. The two fairies were left in a silence only disturbed by the water running next to them.

"Did he just left?" Jongdae croaked.

"Yes," Kyungsoo answered as he rubbed his eyes. "And so should we."

The oldest fairy jumped away from the rock he had been sitting on, and walked towards the water with a resigned frown. It felt like all of this hadn't been helpful in the least. He still had no idea how to help Jongin overcome his sadness, and all Baekhyun had done was mess with his mind and persuade him to wait for it to solve itself.

Jongdae looked over the place one last time with a sad expression, upset that he didn't have the opportunity to properly say goodbye to Lord Baekhyun, but he followed Kyungsoo as his friend dived into the water.

 

 

Jinki was walking. It was a very unusual thing for him to do, because fairies were meant to fly. Walking was an inconvenience that he avoided as much as possible. It was slow and bothersome. Still, that day, he walked, his back bent, struggling sometimes to climb over roots and small piles of snow. He didn't feel like flying. Maybe because deep down, he didn't want to reach his destination that much.

Jinki was on his way to see Kibum. Even when the nymph was frozen for weeks, Jinki couldn't help but come visit him. It was painful, most of the time. He never took it well to see him in that state, even after decades of witnessing it. But he couldn't ignore him altogether.

Walking all the way from Hazelbarrow to Kibum's pond took him hours, where he didn't meet any animals, as they were all sleeping through the cold. But he didn't care that much.

When he finally arrived at the edge of Kibum's and Jongin's clearing, he immediately noticed the wood nymph sitting cross-legged in front of the pond, with a miserable look on his face. Jinki slowly came closer, silently. He wasn't sure Jongin had even realized he was there, because the nymph was staring at the frozen water without blinking. But when Jinki sat next to him, Jongin sighed.

"I'm sorry that I didn't wait for you," Jinki whispered.

It wasn't his usual carefree, cheerful tone, and Jongin blinked, turning to him with surprise.

"What are you talking about?"

"That day," Jinki continued, "when Kibum froze. I didn't wait for you. I was too sad and I went back home. I know it was a shock for you to find him like that. I'm sorry I didn't wait for you to arrive so I could support you."

Jinki remembered the look on Kibum's face when the nymph had been asking him how he could always be so cheerful, and that took a bitter smile out of him. There were always a few weeks, every year, where Jinki was grumpy and moody. But Kibum was never there to see it.

"You were here?" Jongin asked.

There was so much hope in his voice, it made Jinki's heart clench.

"Yes, of course I was. I wouldn't let him freeze alone."

Jongin trembled, his hands tightening into fists, and he cowered on himself.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I'm sorry I wasn't here."

Jinki turned to look at him and finally flew over to one of his thigh when he noticed the silent tears on Jongin's cheeks.

"I didn't mean to leave him like that," Jongin hiccuped. "I didn't realize the ice would come that early. I thought he had been alone-... I'm sorry."

Jinki patted his knee awkwardly.

"It's okay, Jongin. It's okay. Kibum also thought it wouldn't happen for another few days."

Jongin nodded, wiping his tears away.

"There's something I should also tell you," Jinki sighed with a wince. "I did something, and I hope you can forgive me."

"What is it?" Jongin asked in a tight voice.

"I spilled a bit of your secret."

Jongin looked at him curiously, tilting his head in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Kibum told me you left in such a hurry, and I realized you might have gone to see that prince elf of yours. I know about him from Kyungsoo, and I know you chose not to tell Kibum. I respect your decision even if I'm not okay with it, but Kibum was really worried about you. At first it was just him being his usual drama queen, saying that nobody loved him in this forest and that you abandoned him...," Jinki explained. "But then he was getting very concerned about you. He kept saying it was unusual for you to disappear like that. He was working himself up so much, that at some point he was ready to just go look for you to make sure you were alright."

Jongin's face crumbled into guilt as Jinki was narrating the whole scene. Somehow, he could picture it perfectly in his mind. He could almost hear Kibum's whining voice as he wondered out loud if Jongin wasn't having a panic attack somewhere far away, alone and miserable.

"I just had to make him stay here," Jinki went on. "I couldn't take the chance of him going away, you know it would be pretty bad if he were to freeze out of his pond. So I just-... I couldn't lie to him. He wouldn't have stayed there if I just said that I knew you were alright without giving any proof or explanation. So I told him."

"What did you say exactly?" Jongin murmured.

The fairy let out a little breath of relief when he saw no blame or anger towards him in Jongin's eyes.

"I told him you fell in love with someone, and that you were probably with him at that moment. At first he wouldn't believe me, so I had to explain that I knew it from Kyungsoo."

Jongin bit his lips and twisted his fingers. This was the conversation he wished he could have had with Kibum some nights before. It made him anxious to imagine his best friend learning about Taemin from someone else than him, and he cursed at himself for keeping this a secret in the first place.

"How did he react?"

"He was hurt."

Jongin nodded quietly and closed his eyes.

"I tried to explain, but he just wouldn't hear it. He said I was wrong, that you couldn't have kept that from him," Jinki explained.

"I just-...," Jongin murmured, trying to justify himself. "I was so scared of hurting him. I was scared he would be upset to hear about Taemin and me, when he is always so lonely without his prince. He can't bring himself to talk to him and I-... I felt terrible to tell him about Taemin."

Jinki smiled to him, a small and soft smile.

"That's what I told him," he said. "That was the only reason that made sense to me, the only reason why I could have lied to him too. So, that's what I told him. I still don't agree with it, but I understand what made you think that way."

"Did Kibum understand that too? Is he mad at me?"

"He understood, but he was still sad. He will probably demand explanations as soon as he will warm up. At least I succeeded in keeping him here. I didn't tell him about the fact that your lover is an elf or anything. This is still for you to share. I want to apologize for revealing your secret when it wasn't my place at all to do so."

Jongin shook his head slightly.

"It's okay. I wanted to talk to him anyway... I knew it was going to be difficult because I lied for too long. It's my fault, not yours. I'm grateful that you were here."

"I've always been here to wish him a good rest."

"I know. Still I was so worried that maybe, for some reason, you didn't make it either."

Jinki got up and hopped away from Jongin to fly up to the pond. He lowered himself slowly to walk carefully on it, bowing his head to try to catch a glimpse at their friend.

"Kibum will forgive you," he said. "He might be upset for a while, but that's a problem you'll have to face in a few weeks. In the meantime, you shouldn't mope so much over it."

"I'm trying. But it's very difficult."

"I know. You look so dull. Where did all your light go?"

Jongin stayed silent, a slight pout forming on his mouth.

"Kibum will come back. I'm the first one to be all bothered and unhappy when he's away, but he'll be back before you can realize, ready to whine at you," Jinki said.

That took a small smile out of the nymph.

"I know you're in a lot of sadness about that elf too," the fairy continued, looking back at the pond. "Elves really are masters when it comes to putting unfortunate souls in heartache."

"Taemin didn't mean to hurt me," Jongin immediately defended with a frown. "It's-... it's my fault. I didn't pay attention."

Jinki raised a doubtful eyebrow at that, but shrugged.

"Whatever," he sighed. "All I wanted to say, is that everything is more complicated than you think."

Jongin looked confused.

"What do you mean?"

"It is not just about Taemin, Jonghyun and you. There are a lot of people involved in everything. I wish I wasn't involved myself, to be honest. But I have come to realize that when things get a little bit out of hand, the only way out is to talk. The worst thing you could do now is to keep things to yourself and get trapped in miscommunication. Don't make the mistake you made with Kibum again. Always be honest, Jongin. If you talk it through, you'll find yourself at peace."

Jongin's gaze became distant as he tried to untangle Jinki's words and get their meaning.

"Of course, all of this is my opinion," Jinki said lightly. "You are welcome not to listen to me."

The fairy hopped from one foot to the other, not sparing another glance at Jongin as he started to hum a song, his eyes still searching for the silhouette of Kibum.

.

.

.

Hi everyone,

I hope this new chapter eased all the previous angst a bit. Trust Baekhyun, trust me, everything's gonna be okay. ♡(.◜ω◝.)♡

Thank you for reading Magnolia Boy. I keep finding so much peace writing this story, it means a lot to be able to share it with you.

Take care of yourself until next time.