Forever & Always

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 45: Forever & Always

.

The Autumn Equinox was approaching and with it, the end of a long summer. The heavy heat of the last weeks had finally subsided and the whole forest was slowly changing colors, turning from green into gold and orange.

A whole year had gone by, exactly, since the first time Taemin had seen Jongin at the ball in the castle of Melalhil. Jonghyun wondered if he had chosen the date on purpose. Knowing him, the answer was probably no. It had slipped his mind. It was most likely only a sweet coincidence.

But Jonghyun remembered. And he thought it particularly meaningful and adorable that the couple had chosen that specific date to gather all of their friends into their new home for a little celebration. They had moved in barely a week ago.

A lot had happened, in a year, Jonghyun thought. Yet, the most drastic changes seemed to all have taken place in the last months, after confessing their secrets to his parents and, most importantly, Taemin's return.

Taemin had stayed with Jongin for a few days until the nymph had completely recovered. But Taemin wasn't a nymph and at some point, he desperately needed a bathroom and a kitchen – which couldn't be found in the magical nymphs' clearing. He had spent the following weeks going back and forth from the meadow to the castle. When Jonghyun had asked if it wasn't too tiring, Taemin had admitted in a shy whisper that it wasn't that long because the forest always provided him with a shortcut.

"I think the trees love him," Kibum had murmured.

The water nymph had gradually moved to Melalhil, invading Jonghyun's bedroom with seashells, and neatly folding his very precious elven clothes into the pretty chest of drawers his Prince had acquired for him. His own round trips between his pond and Jonghyun's bedroom were even shorter than Taemin's; all he needed was to fade into the wind and let himself be carried away.

The water nymph hadn't been that interested in getting a room for himself, he preferred by far to cling to his prince. But Jonghyun still had gotten one of the old hot springs bathes to be rearranged into a very special space for him and Kibum had been delighted.

It was a circular room in a little wooden pavilion behind the castle's gardens, with a grand fountain and large, oval windows. Elves could often be found wandering around the gardens shyly, hoping to hear the soft melodies that the nymph sang as he bathed.

"Do you think this one will do?" Jonghyun hummed, quite unsure, as he turned to Kibum.

They were strolling through the gardening shop of the city, looking at seeds and potted plants crowding the little space overtaken by nature. As soon as they had entered the store, Kibum had thought that Jongin would love it.

From floor to ceiling, all one could see were plants, vines, and flowers bursting in colors. There were floral crowns and garlands crafted for important celebrations, next to small potted trees, little bushes of lush plants illuminated with elven lights, and flower petals scattered everywhere, carried away by the small breezes and movements of the passersby.

They had come because it was an elven custom to gift something that grew to someone moving into a new house to be a blessing to their garden. Although Kibum didn't fully understand its implications, the tradition was very dear to Jonghyun. And even though the elf was concerned about how silly it might sound to offer a plant to a wood nymph who could grow a thousand more gorgeous flowers in the palm of his hand in less than a minute, Jonghyun still couldn't bring himself not to follow that established practice. He knew he would feel ashamed to come to Taemin and Jongin's new house empty-handed – and the multiple royal delicacies he had already ordered for their lunch that very day weren't enough to shake that feeling of needing a proper gift.

He had settled to buying a small potted myrtle tree, trusting Jongin completely to care for it and bring it to a glorious size. But as he had grabbed the first one he had seen, Kibum had murmured that it just wouldn't do. Jonghyun had looked at him in both surprise and concern, then had frowned at the myrtle in his hands, and had asked why.

"I can not explain," Kibum had sighed dramatically. "It is just not right."

Jonghyun hadn't even tried to argue with the nymph and had simply taken another one.

Kibum looked over the plant while scrunching his nose and glanced at the small shelf with pretty myrtle trees. He came nearer, pushed a few pots away, and took one hiding in the back. It was a little crumpled and wizened, and Jonghyun pouted.

"This one is perfect," Kibum grinned.

"It looks sad," Jonghyun grumbled.

Kibum's face softened tenderly as he caressed the small leaves with infinite gentleness.

"Yes, it is weak... And the uh-... the root are small," he said matter-of-factly.

"Then why-..."

"Jongin will be happy to help it."

Jonghyun widened his eyes and breathed out a small "Oh" before he relaxed. A smile bloomed on his lips as he nodded.

"This one, then."

Kibum looked especially pleased and Jonghyun's heart waltzed cheerfully.

 

~

 

They walked back to the castle through the gardens and admired the white and coral begonias in bloom in the morning light. They still had a few hours before they'd leave to the treehouse in the oak tree and as they strolled lazily, lightly holding onto each other's arm, Jonghyun thought that life, sometimes, was particularly sweet.

"It was there," Kibum said suddenly with a vague, loose move of his wrist.

Jonghyun, perplexed, looked over the small bush of wild berries sitting nearby.

"What was there?"

"Me," Kibum simpered with a cheeky smile. "I was there a long time before, for the ball. I looked at you dance with Taemin behind here."

"Oh, really?"

Kibum nodded proudly but his cheeks were pink.

Jonghyun turned him around and slipped his arm against Kibum's lower back, causing him to gasp. He caught his hand, laced their fingers, and gave him a smug smile.

"Here is where we'll dance for the Equinox. Together. In front of everyone," he said under his breath.

Kibum's eyes shone and slowly brightened with contentment.

They twirled in the grass for a moment, lost in each other's gaze, following Kibum's giggles and a melody they were the only ones to hear.

Then, a soft voice reached them and caused them to stop, both slightly disoriented.

"Good morning, Kibum, Prince."

Jonghyun looked around for a second before following Kibum's eyes. There, standing tall and wrapped in a dark green cloak, stood a man he briefly remembered seeing once, surrounded by nymphs, in the middle of ruins.

"Good morning, Zhang Yixing," Jonghyun greeted in a serene voice. "What brings you to Melalhil? It isn't common to see a wizard here."

Yixing smiled and bowed slightly to Kibum before he answered.

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything. I wished to see you, Prince, and the guards in the castle told me I'd find you in the gardens, most likely."

Before Jonghyun could answer, Kibum spoke, a delighted smile on his face.

"You come to help?"

Yixing approached slowly. There was something in his figure, in the way he stood, that Jonghyun couldn't quite pinpoint but that soothed him deeply.

"Yes," he only said.

"Help?" Jonghyun whispered. "Help with what? Is there another trouble coming? Did Lord Baekhyun see something?"

"Oh no," Yixing smiled. "Nothing of the sort, do not trouble your mind. Kibum came to me for help a few months ago and I promised I would get to him when the time would come. Worries and struggles passed and now you can learn. I am here to teach you."

Jonghyun frowned. He turned his head slightly but his eyes remained on the wizard for a moment, before suddenly jumping to the nymph by his side who seemed jubilant.

"I must... learn?"

"Your magic," Kibum excitedly chirped. "I ask him to come and help you with your magic. And he said yes!"

Jonghyun froze and looked back at the wizard almost in awe.

"Truly?"

"Truly," Yixing nodded. "I believe it will be a rewarding collaboration for both of us."

"You two like difficult words," Kibum grinned. "It will go well."

Yixing looked slightly taken aback but Jonghyun chuckled. He squeezed Kibum's hand.

"Thank you, my beloved."

"You're welcome."

Jonghyun turned to Yixing, eyes sparkling with excitation.

"Would you like a cup of tea? We could go to my office and you'll explain to me how you'd like to proceed."

"With great pleasure."

Jonghyun lead him through the maze of flowery bushes, ferns, and trees back to the castle. Behind him, Kibum and Yixing were conversing, but he was a little too distracted to participate actively in the discussion. His thoughts were gamboling wildly in fantasies of all he would be able to do once he'd have his ability under control. A million possibilities were opening before his feet, or so it felt.

After all, it wasn't just anyone who had come to offer his help to him. Zhang Yixing, the great wizard of Honeyhills, had made it into the most famous books in the archives of the castle's library. Minho's grandfather had heard of him when he was only but a very young elf and he had told stories of his adventures to Jonghyun numerous times.

As he walked calmly to his office, with his nymph lover on his right and the legendary wizard on his left, Jonghyun thought that his life had, without a doubt, immensely changed in only one year – a blink of an eye for elves gifted with long lives.

 

~

 

There was a house in the oldest oak tree of the forest. It had a very cute golden door and pretty little windows framed with deep green wood. The roof was – thankfully – perfectly waterproof and the small patio ahead of the main bedroom, with the balustrade covered in elven lights, was completely safe to walk on. There was a nook on one side of the house, with a round stained glass depicting a couple of hummingbirds feeding on hibiscus flowers; when opened, that little window overlooked a patch of wildflowers. They had been put to the ground months ago by the hands of a nymph; Taemin remembered it perfectly – the day Jongin had said his name for the first time.

Sturdy stairs in dark wood coiled around the large trunk of the oak tree to a welcoming porch. The door was open and flower petals spun inside. It opened to a cozy living room with walls and flooring of luminous honey-colored wood, a kitchen near the front door, and a window above the sink. A door to the right of the entrance lead to the bathroom, and another, beyond the kitchen, lead to the bedroom. Taemin had put white linen bedsheets the day they moved in and he had struggled to remember to make the bed every morning ever since. Jongin couldn't be bothered. He didn't see the point of making one's bed. Once he was done cuddling Taemin, he had far better things to do than tidying up the sheets. He could walk to the large sliding windows facing the bed, enjoy a moment of calm and serenity on their patio, and then have a little something to eat at the lovely round table Minho had found for them.

The house was smaller than the one they used to stay at, in Nowhere. But it fitted them perfectly because neither of them had that many possessions – Taemin still had far more than Jongin, but not more than a few luggage, and they had had to buy a lot of things to furnish their home.

They had a mahogany bookshelf and Jongin was very proud of it. It stood in the little corner near Jongin's beloved loveseat – it looked a lot like the one in Nowhere and he was extremely fond of sitting on it, curled up on their pillows, to glance through the stained glass while Taemin read to him.

He also loved the grass rug that Taemin had asked him to grow in the bathroom and the set of cups that Taemin had found in Milglenn. He loved the songs Taemin hummed as he did the dishes and the dahlias, roses, and magnolias that already covered their bedroom walls.

Most of all, he loved that the house was theirs and that he got to wake up in Taemin's arms every morning and spend his day with him without fearing the moment they'll have to part.

When he passed the threshold and saw his lover carefully placing a set of glasses on a flowery trail, Jongin couldn't help but grin. He hurried to come closer and slipped his arms around Taemin's waist, pressing his chest against his back and his face against his neck.

"It's all done."

"Did you find enough seats?" Taemin asked.

"Mhmm. I found a few big stones and covered them in moss so they'd be comfortable."

Taemin turned his head to smile at him and press a few kisses on his pink hair. He couldn't explain how emotional the sight of that specific shade of pink made him.

"The stuffed eggs are done! And I'll have you know my mayonnaise is particularly delicious today if I can say so myself."

They both jolted at the sound of Kyungsoo's voice and slewed round to look over the kitchen table overflowing with various dishes. Chanyeol was quietly bending over a large plate, leaving little leaves of basil over tomato slices with unexpected delicateness, while Kyungsoo was flying around, inspecting his work critically before landing on the edge of the bowl of croutons.

"Will it be enough? What do you think? Jinki will be there and I won't suffer to have any guest hungry, even him."

"I'm sure it will do," Taemin chuckled as he glanced at the plates scattered around the living room. "They all planned to bring a little something as well anyway. Let's just take all of this downstairs now, they'll be here soon."

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol had come every single day to visit them; mostly because, as Kyungsoo put it, someone had to remind those two scatterbrains to eat. This meant that he came to cook for them and tried to teach Taemin as patiently as he could since the elf prince had to manage on his own now – Jongin didn't need to cook but Taemin couldn't live on fresh fruits and rainwater forever and thus, he had to learn how to use a pan without relying on the castle's chef.

It took them a few trips to bring all the dishes down to the very long table they had dressed up in the shadow of the oak tree. Jongin had very carefully placed plates, silverware, pebbles, and small flowers on the white tablecloth, and Chanyeol congratulated him for how pretty it looked.

The midday sun was gentle. They could hear birds chirping all around the meadow, and Jongin told them they were talking about their upcoming migration.

Once every meal of their lunch had been put on their table, the four friends sat down. And as they waited, Chanyeol played a light song on his pan flute.

 

~

 

Jongdae and Minseok arrived first from Melalhil. Minseok was carrying a large pot of beautiful green leaves with lush, ravishing blue and purple blooms. Jongdae was flying next to him with a heavy bag in his hands, talking his ear off. He had brought some nettle, along with a jar of walnuts and a honey pot. Jongin looked delighted.

Minseok still seemed a little shy in the presence of the spirits, even though he had spent his whole summer alongside them. He was blushing slightly when he gave Taemin the traditional elven offering for a housewarming gathering.

"I suppose Jongin can make far more beautiful flowers..." he whispered and Jongin looked surprised, "but uhm-... they come from my garden. Those hydrangeas. They're my favorites, actually. So, I took a cutting from mine months ago, and now they have sturdy roots. It's not the perfect time to replant them but I thought Jongin would know what to do anyway."

Jongin gasped. Next to him, Taemin offered Minseok a bright smile.

"Thank you, Minseok. I think they're absolutely lovely."

"They are yours?" Jongin stuttered.

He had lost a little bit of his Elvish, for lack of practice, since Taemin had been able to understand Nymph.

"They come from my garden, yes," Minseok nodded. "I hope that's alright."

Jongin's face softened as he looked over the flowers fondly.

"They are very happy," he whispered. "Thank you, Minseo-k."

Minseok stammered a thank you and Jongin suddenly straightened up with wide eyes.

"I have uhm... something for Minseo-k. Wait."

He ran away to the stairs and even in his hurry, his steps didn't make a single noise. When he came back to them, he was preciously holding a little fabric bag that he pushed into Minseok's hands confidently.

"Thank you for care for Nini's tree. My tree. Magnolia. And the house too. Thank you."

Minseok's lips trembled slightly as he looked down and opened the fabric bag in utter disbelief. A couple of tiny seeds fell in his palm and he froze.

"For your garden," Jongin said softly.

When Minseok looked up, Jongin saw tears in his eyes. But he was smiling.

"Thank you, Jongin."

 

~

 

After them, came Jinki and Heechul, carrying together a large basket full of pumpkin seeds loaves of bread, and several jars of olives and cheese spreads that had Jongdae salivating.

They congratulated Taemin and Jongin on their beautiful new home and asked for a glass of lemonade each before wondering if they truly had to wait for everyone else to come before they could start on the appetizers.

Kyungsoo hit Jinki on the head, called him a snail, and Heechul sat down near Minseok, staring at him shamelessly as he stole the slice of lemon in the elf's glass to bite on it fully.

 

~

 

Then, came Junmyeon and Sehun. The young nymph had brought a basket full of strawberries tartlets – out of everything Junmyeon could cook perfectly, those were Sehun's favorites, and thus, a recurrence.

As soon as they arrived, Sehun clang to Taemin's arm with a grin and undertook to tell everyone – for the umpteenth time – how happy he was that the forest now let him go around freely because he already had a big adventure and Honeyhills knew he could be trusted.

Then, he began to narrate excitedly his Grand Adventure to the White Mountains all over again and he seemed to forget that Minseok couldn't understand Faerish as he leaned toward him to whisper a few of his secrets into his ear. Minseok feigned to listen patiently and softly thanked Jongdae for translating for him quietly.

 

~

 

After them, came Minho, riding his horse, and Jonghyun and Kibum, riding Tahca.

They brought so many dishes that Kyungsoo stopped being worried, and Chanyeol and Minseok went up to get the kitchen table for extra space. And while Kibum was happily reporting Yixing's visit to the assembly of fairies, Jonghyun solemnly offered his sad-looking potted myrtle to his hosts. He arbored the same shy expression as Minseok.

"I wondered if it'd be alright to follow our custom, with Jongin being a wood nymph..." he awkwardly trailed off.

"Flowers are always welcome in this house," Taemin chirped with a grin, and the forest prince seemed to relax.

Jonghyun glanced at Jongin and bowed slightly.

"They are called myrtle in Elvish. And to my people, they are a symbol of endless love, devotion, and happiness. They are considered a blessing and I thought it was fitting... for you two."

"Oh, really?" Taemin gasped. "That's very kind of you. Thank you."

He looked down at the plant and Jonghyun noticed the slight, confused pout on his lips at the sight of the crumpled leaves. He hurried to explain himself.

"Kibum uhm-... He mentioned that Jongin might like it better if the plant was... not doing well," he glanced at the nymph worriedly. "He said you'd like the idea of bringing it back to health."

Taemin widened his eyes in understanding and when he turned to look at his lover, he found Jongin grinning, a soft gleam of happiness radiating from his golden skin.

"Yes," he nodded quickly. "I care for it well."

He took the pot from Taemin's hands and curled his fingers around it. He hummed and the plant moved slightly as if letting out a relieved sigh. The withered leaves fell by themselves and the short stalks straightened up as new leaves twirled and unfurled, showing off delightful little white flowers looking like fluffy pompoms.

"Thank you, Jeon-gyun," Jongin murmured, his eyes never leaving the precious plant.

"You're very welcome."

 

Behind them, Minho was trying to unload his gift from his saddle, which proved to be difficult with the way Sehun clutched his leg like a heavy crab and Junmyeon flew all around his head, telling him about everything he had done since the last time they had seen each other – and Jongdae snorted that it shouldn't take so long considering they met the previous evening.

Eventually, Minho managed to make his way to the table and put down a large plate filled with apricots, immediately winning Jongin's affection for the day.

"Apricots!" the nymph squealed in Faerish. "My favorites!"

"I know," Minho smugly smirked. "I ordered them from a city beyond the forest, far in the South. Those apricots are of a variety you've never tasted before."

At those words, Jongin's eyes widened impossibly with awe.

"That's my present," Minho added with a grin. "I thought you'd like to plant the pits and get your own apricots trees around here. They'll be unique in the forest."

Once Jongin was done thanking Minho and blessing him for the many years of his long life, Minseok and Jonghyun turned to their friend, squinting.

"You cheated," Jonghyun grumbled. "Somehow, that was cheating."

Minho exclaimed that it wasn't cheating and they bickered animatedly in Elvish, while Taemin looked over Minseok incredulously.

"Was it a competition?"

"Tacitly, yes," Minseok chuckled.

"What for? Jongin's affection?"

"More like his approval."

Taemin frowned and looked over his lover, sitting at the other side of the table and devouring apricots with Jinki.

"But Jongin already adores all of you."

"It just... feels special to know you made him happy. You would know."

Taemin let out a soft 'oh', then a smile bloomed on his face.

"Yeah. Yeah, I would know," he murmured with a fond glance at his nymph.

 

~

 

The meadow was noisy with Faerish, Nymph, and Elvish, along with the soft buzz of faeries flying around and the gentle notes Chanyeol played once and then.

In the tumult of the conversations and the excitation of being all together, they all forgot to wait for the last guests before they began to eat. But when Lord Baekhyun finally appeared, all voices shushed down quickly to stare at him with wide eyes and gaping mouths. When Sehun moved to get to him, Minho very gently held him back with a smile, and the nymph sat back with a confused expression.

At the end of the table, Jongin looked at the Lord of nymphs. And Baekhyun looked back at him.

For a moment, it seemed that time slowed down. The birds had quieted and even the slight breeze moving the grass had vanished.

"You came," Jongin murmured.

Baekhyun gave him a small smile.

"Is that okay?"

Jongin slowly pushed his chair away from the table, got up on his feet, and ran toward the nymph. When he hugged him tight, Baekhyun gasped, startled.

"Oh," he chuckled. "I didn't see that one coming."

Jongin was trembling in his arms. He had shut his eyes tight to prevent any tears from overflowing.

"Yixing said you needed rest and-... I didn't get to say thank you..."

Baekhyun closed his eyes with a sigh of relief. He brought his arms around the nymph he had seen being born so long ago, and listened to his heartbeats, pounding against his chest.

"I woke up a few days ago," he said. "Yixing told me Lee Taemin had invited us if I could wake up in time."

Jongin smiled against Baekhyun's neck.

"Thank you, Lord Baekhyun," he said like a secret.

"I'm sorry I failed you in the first place," Baekhyun answered in a tight voice.

Jongin stepped back to look at him and gave him a timid smile.

"I'm just glad you're okay. And I don't blame you."

"Jongin-..." Baekhyun whispered.

"Please come," Jongin said before turning toward Yixing hiding behind the Lord of nymphs. "There's a lot to eat. I prepared seats for you, just in case. Kyungsoo made his zucchini cold soup, it's really delicious. And there are croutons!"

Without waiting for an answer, he dragged Baekhyun by the hand and forced him to sit next to Chanyeol. Before he could push Yixing onto another moss-covered stone, the wizard held out his hand to calm him down.

"Jongin, please... I have a present for you and Taemin."

Two seats away, Taemin straightened up with a grin.

"Oh? Presents? I like presents!"

"It isn't much," Yixing said, "but I hope it will bring you joy."

He extended a book to Jongin and the nymph widened his eyes at the sight of the familiar worn-out cover. He held the Herborium in his hands as if it was the most precious thing he ever laid his fingers on, beside Taemin. And as he flipped it open, memories rushed back in his mind, of his first visit to Nowhere with his elf. Of sitting next to him as Taemin taught him the Elvish names of his favorite flowers.

"When I came back," Yixing explained, "this book was still open on the coffee table. It told me of how you cherished it. So I thought it would be a proper present for your new home."

Taemin had come closer, intrigued by Jongin's silence, and when his eyes fell on the Herborium, he let out a gasp.

Jongin couldn't find any words, in any language, to explain how he felt at that moment. Taemin's hand his back softly and he heard him say "Thank you immensely, Zhang Yixing". He thought it was fitting.

Behind them, Baekhyun clapped his hands loudly.

"I brought something as well," he exclaimed before he took a small bag from the loose rope acting as a belt to keep his long white gown in place. He untied the knot quickly and took away a handful of herbs. "Mint!"

The whole meadow froze as all the fairies began to vibrate on their seats.

"Oh, dear Light," Minseok whined aloud.

 

~

 

In the forest of Honeyhills, there was an old oak tree. It was almost as old as the acacia in the heart of the woods. It stood alone, in a little meadow, and a house had been built around its branches.

In that house, lived a wood nymph who glowed like sunrise when he smiled, and an elf prince whose laugh made flowers bloom.

In that house, they watched the sun rise and set, they read to each other, danced together, and grew so many flowers that they spilled through the windows, carried by the wind across the trees like tiny blessings.

In that house, Jongin and Taemin loved each other forever and always.

.

.

.

THE END

.

.

.

 

My lovelies,

I cannot believe that this day has come & we must now bid Magnolia Boy goodbye. I cannot believe that I made it so far & managed to finish this story.

Thank you for reading it. Thank you for the endless love & support & kindness & patience you showed me.
This fic has meant so much to me & will always mean everything. It has provided me shelter through two terribly sad hardships & brought me back to writing. It also brought me to so many of you. It was the start of a long journey of writing Taekai.
I am so happy & proud that I could bring it to completion. & I will miss it dearly. As I write this, I'm not quite sure what to do with myself now that I don't have the next chapter of 'Magnolia Boy' to write. I sure have a lot more stories in my head & enchanting worlds to create but this... the forest of Honeyhills, the nymph's clearing, the house in the middle of Nowhere, Hazelbarrow... this is where my heart & soul will always come to rest.

I wrote this last note listening to “The Last Goodbye” by Billy Boyd. It seemed fitting considering how much of Magnolia Boy was inspired by Tolkien's wonderful works.

I must go now & let this story end.

Thank you.

I wish you all the best. & please remember that this story will always welcome you back. The forest is only a blink away. You only need to close your eyes & picture your favorite little magical being waiting for you on a sunny afternoon to go on more adventures.

Until we meet again, please take care of yourself.

find me on twitter // curiouscat