You & I

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 19 : You & I

.

It was on the day following the first new moon of the year, that something rather unexpected happened. Everything had seemed quite normal at first, and to most of the little folks in the forest, there wasn't a single thing out of the ordinary on that very fine morning. But a small twist was about to happen for the two princes running in the gardens, and no one could tell yet, all the reverberations it would have.

How it all started, Jonghyun wasn't sure that he even knew. To him, it was only a rather impromptu adventure, quite curious, if he were to be asked. As he followed a very energetic and troubled Taemin jumping everywhere, he had no idea that this little hysteria was already a consequence of all that had happened until now. It had all started with Taemin's arrival in the forest, in a way. How far could they rewind, to know the true trigger that ended up making them waltz through the icy gardens?

"Can you hear it yet?" Taemin called.

Jonghyun sighed, and puffed his cheeks, looking at him with concern.

"No, I can't."

They had been eating breakfast with one window open, when Taemin had heard something that made him drop his cup of tea; some very peculiar sounds that he couldn't even describe with any word he knew. Those little noises got him to rise abruptly and search for their source.

Thus, they had been chasing a melody Jonghyun couldn't even hear. But he couldn't exactly let Taemin run around like a lost, confused leprechaun without trying to help, at least a little bit. It turned out that he had no idea how to help at all, but he was there nonetheless. It had to count for something.

Jonghyun tried to offer Taemin to calm down, maybe to sit somewhere, and breathe a little. Maybe Taemin was tired, maybe he needed to take it easy for the day. But the mountain prince had looked at him with such outrage that Jonghyun didn't dare to insist.

"I'm not crazy," Taemin exclaimed, his voice going acute. "I'm telling you I'm hearing something."

"I never said you were crazy."

"You don't believe that I'm hearing something, so it's all the same!"

Jonghyun had rolled his eyes at him, and Taemin considered apologizing for being a bit rude, when the man had actually been following him in his vain quest for ten minutes already. But as he was about to express how sorry he was, he heard it again. That very strange noise. It was getting louder. It sounded like tiny bells all ringing at the same time.

Forgetting about his apologies, Taemin went back to his hunt.

And as he turned around a leafless tree, he stopped short. Jonghyun didn't expect his sudden halt and they bumped into each other in a small ruckus of whines and shouts. The cause of Taemin's very sudden pause, were none other than Junmyeon and Minho, strolling around the gardens, talking and laughing over jokes they were the only ones to get. And upon hearing the two princes collide, they approached.

"Thundering typhoons! What's happening to you two?" Junmyeon gawked.

Taemin and Jonghyun stopped pawing at each other, and the mountain prince turned big, wide eyes to the fairy.

"I heard something!"

Jonghyun sighed heavily as Taemin went on, ranting about those inexplicable and indescribable noises he was so sure he had perceived. If Junmyeon settled for looking at him with a concerned, wary pout, Minho, on the contrary, was frowning. He soon raised one hand in the air, effectively stopping Taemin mid-sentence, and looked at him calmly.

"Hold on... You're saying you've been following an acute, singing noise from the castle to where we are right now?"

Taemin deflated and lowered his eyes to the ground.

"When you put it this way, I see that I might sound a bit crazy."

"Oh, I think I'm crazier...," Minho breathed out with a nervous laugh.

At his words, Junmyeon and Jonghyun both turned to him with worried glares, but Minho paid them no mind.

"Is this what you heard?" He asked, in a trembling voice.

Junmyeon froze. It was a really good thing that he was currently sitting on Minho's shoulder, or he would have dropped to the ground and maybe twisted a wing or ankle. In front of him, Jonghyun's eyes widened. He had seen Minho's lips move, without hearing anything, and he knew it meant his best friend had say something in faerish. Now, it wouldn't have been that astounding, if Taemin hadn't suddenly perked up in a jump.

"There it is! There it is again!"

The shock made Jonghyun's jaw fall open.

Then, a real concussion exploded. Junmyeon screeched, Minho grabbed Taemin by the collar of his shirt, Taemin squealed that he had heard it again and that someone must have heard it too otherwise he was ready to throw himself into the lake out of frustration. And Minho started to blabber a lot of incoherent things in faerish, effectively spluttering to his face.

"Enough!" Jonghyun growled for them to stop.

The three others halted in their movements and turned their faces to him. Jonghyun was glaring at them, with a serious look on his face that Taemin wasn't used to. It gave him a powerful, domineering aura that made Minho feel like he was as tiny as Junmyeon.

"Minho, let go of Taemin," he said, calmly.

Minho obeyed, coughing an apology as he dusted Taemin's cloak with one hand.

"Now," Jonghyun continued, "please say something in faerish again."

As he pronounced those words, Taemin's face twisted in wonder. He turned his eyes to Minho, and saw him move his lips in those odd, bizarre shapes and forms he knew were characteristics of faerish; and to his utter astonishment, he heard those peculiar sounds once more.

"Can you hear me?"

For a second, nobody dared to move, or breathe too loudly. Then, Taemin hiccuped.

"It was you...," he said.

Junmyeon screeched again.

"By all the will-o-wisp's of the swamps! You can hear faerish!"

Taemin blinked stupidly. He barely felt Minho's hands grabbing him again. He barely heard all of his questions, or Jonghyun's incredulous babbling, or Junmyeon's ecstatic comments. The three of them were trying to ask him how and when something like that happened, but Taemin had no idea what to tell them. He simply looked over Junmyeon, with furrowed eyebrows.

"We didn't even start doing anything serious, did we?" He asked, tilting his head in bewilderment.

At this, Minho seemed to lose all interest he had for the mountain prince and started to assault the fairy to try to understand what on earth was going on. And while Junmyeon tried to explain the situation to two very confused elves, Taemin finally realized what had just happened to him.

For once, he wasn't crazy. Which was always a very nice thing to assert. But most importantly, he had somehow managed to hear faerish. Something that had been depicted to him as practically impossible, simply fell on him without much effort. He felt an intense, vivid, burning pride invade his lungs and he started to smile. Hearing faerish was the very first step towards the goal of understanding Jongin. It was only the beginning, he couldn't even understand what was being said to him, but it was such a milestone. He knew what hearing faerish meant; he was getting a little bit more aware of the spirit world. He was getting closer to his adored nymph, in a way.

Taemin felt his heart leap inside his chest at the thought of Jongin. When he had first talked to Junmyeon about learning faerish, he had decided to not tell anything to his nymph until he was able to understand him, or maybe even say a few words. But it seemed impossible to wait. He really wanted to run into the forest right this instant and call Jongin and brag to him about how he could hear faerish now. He wanted Jongin to be proud of him, he wanted to share this moment of happiness, he wanted to dream with him about the day they'll be able to understand each other perfectly.

"Taemin?"

Jonghyun's hand on his arm brought him back to reality, and Taemin shook his head slightly, looking at the other prince with a pout.

"I have to see him," he whispered.

Jonghyun understood immediately whom he was talking about, and a small, tender smile appeared at the corner of his lips. He nodded a few times before patting Taemin's shoulder.

"Well, you look a little unwell to me. And tired. I think you should probably go to your room and take it easy for the day."

Taemin frowned, opening his mouth in protest, but before he could say anything, Jonghyun continued.

"That's what I'll say to anyone asking about you. Please, put some warm clothes on and try to be discreet while escaping to the forest, okay?"

"Thank you."

"Don't mention it. But know that we'll need to talk as soon as you come back."

Taemin agreed, smiled brightly and hopped away with a little wave to Junmyeon.

"But I have so many questions," Minho protested.

"Sorry," Jonghyun coughed. "Taemin is unwell."

Minho gave him a deadpan look, but finally sighed. Then he turned to Junmyeon once again.

"You, horrible, secretive, little liar!"

 

 

Jongin had woken up that day to the peculiar feeling of tiny feet squishing his shoulders, and even tinier fingers clinging to his hair. As he rolled over, opening one sleepy eye to the world, he felt something sway on his head, until a small face appeared above him. Jongin rubbed his eyes, yawned, and squinted up to his forehead, trying to distinguish from upside down who had come to see him.

"Good morning!" The fairy claimed loudly, giving him a large, brilliant smile that Jongin finally recognized.

The nymph yawned once more and hold out his arm to catch Jongdae between two fingers, bringing him to the ground next to him as he stretched on his flowery bed. Jongin one side, then the other, a bit before he managed to finally sit.

"'morning," Jongin mouthed with a scrunch of his nose.

Jongdae immediately started to ask him about his night, and how he felt lately, and did he think that Kibum would soon wake up, while Jongin was doing his best to keep his eyes open and try to follow the fairy's train of thoughts. It proved to be difficult. But the heavy fog of sleepiness seemed to slightly vanish when Jongdae pulled over the little bag he had carried with him.

"I brought you some elven pastries that were for breakfast this morning," Jongdae chirped. "I thought of you because some of them have honey inside."

At the mention of honey-filled food, Jongin brightened up and leaned over, peeping at the display of little cakes.

"Thank you," Jongin smiled, taking one small cream puff next to the fairy.

He tended to forget that Jongdae lived in the castle lately. His fairy friend had been so reluctant to meet any elf for so long, that it was kind of weird to imagine him living amongst them now. But he couldn't exactly say anything, when he was spending all of his days waiting for an elf prince to call him.

"How is it," Jongin asked, "to live in the castle? Do you like elves a bit more now?"

Jongdae seemed surprised by his question, and he pouted for a second, apparently considering his answer.

"Some of them are alright, I guess."

Jongin smiled, his fingers playing with the pieces of honey cake he was holding.

"Do you see my Taemin a lot?" He asked shyly.

"Not really," Jongdae shrugged. "It's too intimidating to be around him or the other prince. I try to stay away from them as much as possible. He's always very nice to me when I do see him, though."

Jongin made a little sound, close to a giggle.

"You know, I'm soon gonna speak elvish better than you," he boasted.

"Oh, are you?" Jongdae snorted.

Jongin straightened up a bit and lifted his nose in the air.

"Yes! Yesterday, Kyungsoo taught me all about 'I' and 'you', and a lot of other important words," Jongin blurted in a conspiratorial tone.

"I've known about 'I' and 'you' for a long time already," Jongdae simpered smugly, feeling his competitive spirit kick in at Jongin's pride. "I'm still ahead of you. And I study a lot lately."

Jongin's eyes widened a bit.

"Oh? Junmyeon must be really happy."

"I'm not doing it for him!" Jongdae immediately countered in a bitter tone.

"Whom are you doing it for, then?"

Jongdae froze and hiccuped. He shook his head a bit, as if he tried to make his slight blush go away.

"Nobody! I ain't working hard for anyone but me! I just thought-... that it would be nice... to know another language. I am very curious and smart, that's all."

He looked at Jongin with pinched lips and was relieved to see the nymph smile at him.

"I know that you're very smart. And awesome. Elvish is so difficult, I wouldn't want to learn it if it wasn't for my Taemin."

Jongdae blushed a bit more and puffed his cheeks, looking away from Jongin and playing with his own hands.

"Well," he coughed, "it's mostly because-... you know, I was getting bored there so I thought I would give it a try again. So I could talk to some elves if needed."

"Was it useful?" Jongin kindly asked, as he continued to stuff his face with pastries and blink his eyes drowsily.

Jongdae scratched his cheek, and suddenly nodded.

"Actually, there's something I wanted to tell you."

Jongin stopped chewing on his croissant and swallowed hardly. Jongdae had a curious look on his face.

"What is it?"

The fairy seemed to hesitate for a moment. Then he breathed in, bit his bottom lip, and searched where to even begin his story.

"I met an elf, in the castle. And he had a tree that felt just like you, in his garden. It was really bothering me," Jongdae explained.

"Oh," Jongin said, "why?"

Jongdae blinked a few times, tilting his head to the side.

"Well, because it's not really usual to encounter a tree radiating the exact same magic as a nymph. Did you perhaps already know about it?"

"Of course I did," Jongin smiled. "I know about all the trees that came from me."

Jongdae's jaw fell open and he couldn't help the slightly frustrated noise coming out of his mouth.

"Here I was, thinking that I had made such a discovery," he pouted.

His comment made Jongin laugh, and the nymph tapped his feet on the ground.

"How does it happen, though? Doesn't it bother you that Minseok put your tree in his garden?"

It took Jongin a couple of seconds to understand Minseok must be the elf Jongdae had met in the castle. He was still a bit sleepy and Jongdae was talking fast.

"Sometimes, when I turn, I lose a flower, or two. Sometimes, those flowers grow back. I don't know why they do or don't, but it's not really a bother to me. There are three other of my magnolias in the forest, and that Minseok elf took really great care of it, so I don't mind. He's been really gentle and waters it properly."

"But it doesn't... like... weaken you, to get your magic separated from you?"

Jongin pouted, slightly taken aback by the question.

"I never thought about it. I don't know. I didn't realize. According to Kyungsoo, we don't feel our magic the same way, fairies and nymphs. I hope the Minseok didn't get into troubles because of my tree, did he? He's really not hurting me. All of this is harmless."

Jongdae stayed silent for a moment, and Jongin didn't dare to continue eating his honey filled little cake. It waited pitifully in the palm of his hand, as the fairy hummed.

"Ah," Jongdae finally sighed. "Minseok isn't in troubles at all. I'm just thinking, and trying to understand. I'm glad to know that it isn't a problem to you. It looks really beautiful... Your magnolia in his garden looks beautiful."

"I wanted to go see it," Jongin admitted in a whisper, "but I didn't get the courage."

The nymph resumed his eating as Jongdae got up, walking around to pick up his scarf and cap.

"I'll go back, now," he said.

Jongin perked up, wide eyes looking at him and a pout dancing on his lips.

"Already?"

"I wanted to give you the pastries, and ask you about the tree. But now I have an appointment with that Minho elf about taking responsibilities in the castle and something about having a role to play between them and Hazelbarrow, helping Junmyeon, yada yada. I have to go tell him that I'm not interested. He insisted that I should think about it so we had to plan a meeting for me to reject him."

Jongin couldn't help a chuckle at the way Jongdae was picturing the situation.

"But," he insisted, "you just came to wake me up. That's not nice."

"I brought you food," Jongdae retorted, offended that his kindness was questioned there.

"Next time, you'll have to stay and play with me," Jongin sulked.

Jongdae rolled his eyes.

"You're such a baby."

"I'll tell Kyungsoo and Junmyeon that you made me upset."

"What is this?! Now that I try to be trustworthy and mature, and not miss an appointment in the castle, I get blackmailed. This is all very unfair. Why is the whole forest against me?"

Jongin opened his mouth wide, laughing loudly at the vexed grimace on the fairy's face.

"I'll make it up to you somehow," Jongdae reluctantly offered. "Please don't put Junmyeon on me."

"I'll let it go then, just this time," Jongin simpered. "You may leave."

The fairy took off, not without pulling his tongue at the nymph and imitating a gross sound with his mouth.

As he found himself alone in his home, Jongin contemplated going back to sleep. There wasn't much light piercing through the roots yet and his body was still warm from his night. His eyelids felt so heavy. It would be nice, to sleep just a few more hours. Maybe after one last of those delicious cakes Jongdae had brought him. And then when he'll wake up again, he'll go find Chanyeol.

Jongin let himself fall back on the plushy grass covering his floor and squirmed on his flowers. He let out a sad little sigh as his thoughts traveled to Kibum. He wished the cold would go away already. He wished his friend would come back to him quickly. He didn't really like how quiet and eerie their clearing was without Kibum. He missed his singing voice and the sounds of the water when his friend swam. It would have been nice, to share those delicious honey-filled pastries with him, even if it meant Jongin would have eaten less of them.

Jongin was laying on his back, his eyes closed, a feeling of longing invading his lungs, when he heard it. A quiet, faint, delicate whisper of his name, murmured through the roots of his willow tree. He straightened up so fast that he felt dizzy for a couple of seconds. But then he heard Taemin's voice again, and shook his head to get rid of his giddiness. It was unusual for his elf to call so early in the morning, and through the loud pulses of his heart, Jongin wondered if he was dreaming.

"He's calling you," his willow tree whispered to his ears.

"Where is he?" Jongin chirped.

A large smile bloomed on his lips as he got up, rubbing his eyes with his fists. Then he crawled away from the hole in the roots and winced at the sudden light bathing his face. His tree told him Taemin was already in Nowhere, waiting for him, and Jongin's heart jolted in his chest. The thought of seeing his elf again had made any little remnants of tiredness disappear.

Jongin hurtled down the slope leading to the path out of his clearing, but stopped himself as he was about to leave. He bit his bottom lip and retraced his steps, stopping in front of Kibum's pond. He squatted down, catching of glimpse of his friend's sleeping form and smiled gently.

"Please come back soon, Kibummie. I won't be away too long either," he whispered.

Jongin heard the soft call of his name yet again, and he bounced away. With an ecstatic grin playing on his lips, he rushed out of his clearing.

"Please let me go to Nowhere easily," he begged the forest, as he ran straight forward.

Taemin was already there, Taemin was waiting for him, there was no way he would get lost in thoughts. There was no way he could think about anything else than his elf, sitting ever so gracefully on their loveseat. He couldn't wait to arrive. He couldn't wait to show Taemin his progress in elvish. And simply sit there, next to him.

"Please," he whined again, hoping the forest would indulge him. "Please, just this time."

He was running around, not even knowing where he was heading, and hiccuped in surprise when he suddenly felt the ground shirk under his feet as he turned around a tree. He tripped on his own toes and rolled over himself for a moment, landing on his .

"Ow," he sighed, rubbing his head.

He blinked his eyes a couple of times, confused, and suddenly felt something on his forehead.

"Are you hurt?"

Jongin gasped, raising his nose to come face to face with a worried Taemin.

His elf was there, hovering above him, his lovelies eyebrows furrowed and a cute pout dancing on his lips. Taemin kept Jongin's forehead, trying to mitigate his pain, surely.

"Taemin," Jongin purred, a large smile brightening his face. "Good mornin'."

The elf's face softened as he finally took a better look at him.

Taemin felt his heart melt into a puddle when he noticed Jongin's slightly puffed eyes and the way his hair was sticking in every directions. He wondered if this was due to his previous fall, or if maybe, the nymph had just woken up. He hoped he hadn't forced him awake.

"Good morning, Nini."

For a moment, Jongin was tempted to pull on Taemin's hand and bring him to the ground, next to him. He wanted Taemin on his lap so he could give him a long and warm hug. But he felt a few drops of rain falling on his shoulders, and he decided that they would be far more comfortable in their house. He squirmed to get up and felt Taemin's little hands gripping his arms to help him.

"I'm glad you could come," Taemin said. "Are you okay?"

Jongin turned to give him a large smile as he answered.

"I is-... I am fine. And you?"

"I'm fine too."

Before Taemin could continue and voice that little surprise that Jongin could read on his face, the nymph put his hands on his and pushed him a bit.

"You and I go ho-me. It is rai-n."

Taemin couldn't help a small laugh as he obeyed diligently, going down the familiar hill to the house, Jongin right after him.

As they entered, Taemin closed his eyes, inhaling deeply the scent of that house he had come to love so much. It truly was a cosy place, and he loved the smell of wood and tea, that always seemed to linger. He couldn't tell how many times a day he wished he was there with Jongin. How he hoped they could always remain there, only the two of them, forgotten by the rest of the world. Simply entering the room made him emotional.

Jongin's fingers ran on his arm, until they clenched over his hand and pulled him forward.

"You are ve-ry beautifu'... to-day," Jongin quietly said.

The nymph sat at their usual spot, looking up at Taemin with shining eyes. And Taemin felt his lungs constrict in his chest. His fingers tightened their hold on Jongin's hand as he settled next to him, so close that his knees were propped on the nymph's thighs.

"Thank you."

Taemin knew that his cheeks had to be red. He could feel a dizzy heat get to his head at Jongin's words.

"You're lovely too," he then added.

Jongin let his head fall on the back of the small sofa, a lazy smile appearing at the corner of his lips. Taemin's eyes immediately caught the tiny buttercup blooming in his hair. The sight of it spread a warmth in his belly, as he remembered how Jongin had made a similar flower flourish in his hands, a few months ago.

"You speak really good elvish now," Taemin praised him.

It always amazed him, how much Jongin improved every time he saw him. Even though Junmyeon had mentioned already that nymphs were naturally gifted to learn languages, Taemin couldn't help but be startled at Jongin's ability to remember so many words and deduct them with an impressive accuracy.

"I lear-n for you," Jongin smiled. "I lear-n a lot for speak with you. I want lear-n more, and more, and more."

Taemin felt a sudden urge to smooch him, to cradle his precious face in his hands and kiss him breathless. All of the nymph's cuteness on display was difficult for him to handle, and he felt a tenderness so great at the thought of Jongin studying hard for him, that he had no idea how to deal with it. But he restrained himself, writhing on the loveseat and biting his lips in order not to assault the spirit in front of him.

"I have something to tell you," he squeaked.

"What is it?"

Jongin straightened up a bit, an eager expression on his face.

"I worked hard," Taemin explained, "to understand you too. And now, I can hear faerish."

Taemin smiled as he saw Jongin frown. The nymph opened his mouth, and then closed it, his eyes going up, then back on Taemin.

"You what?" He pouted.

"I can hear fairies," Taemin tried again.

Jongin squinted at him for a moment, before his eyes suddenly widened.

"Do you mean that you can perceive faerish?" Jongin gasped.

Taemin's smile softened. He realized how whipped he had to be, to think that hearing Jongin speak faerish was even prettier and more enchanting than what he had heard Junmyeon and Minho say.

"It's so sweet," he whispered.

Jongin leaned even closer to him, and took Taemin's hands in his trembling ones.

"So we can speak faerish now? Can we?"

When he saw the hopeful light in Jongin's eyes, Taemin realized that he might have misunderstood him.

"Ah, Nini, I'm sorry... I can hear you, but I don't understand yet."

Jongin suddenly deflated and his eyes fell on his lap sadly. He had really thought for a moment that they were about to have a real conversation without him struggling with those impossible elvish words.

"Nini?" Taemin called softly.

The nymph perked up to meet the elf's gentle smile.

"I'm sorry. I will work harder for you."

Jongin noticed the shy blush on his cheeks, and the embarrassment in his eyes. It made him feel stupid, all of a sudden. Learning elvish was such a difficult task for him, yet he knew that it was nothing compared to the trouble of reaching faerish for elves. Taemin must have strived so badly to achieve the goal of at least hearing him, and here he was, showing disappointment to him.

Jongin hold out his hand, caressing Taemin's red cheek with two of his fingers.

"Sorry. You are really goo-d," he said with a nod. "I am really happy."

Taemin rubbed his face against Jongin's hand.

"One day, we'll talk a lot more easily."

"Yes. You and I talk more."

Jongin's fingers brushed over Taemin's jaw, all the way up to his ear, and disappeared in his hair.

"I'm happy that I can hear faerish. I find it very cute."

"You love faerish?" Jongin asked softly.

"Yes, I do. It's cute when you talk faerish."

"Should I only speak faerish then?"

Taemin cooed at him and bit his lips.

"I love it."

"I tal-k faerish al-ways and you think I is-... I am cute al-ways," Jongin whispered with a sneaky grin.

Taemin laughed, holding out his arm to come pinch Jongin's nose.

"You sly little nymph. I already think you're adorable."

Jongin's expression softened, and Taemin felt his heart raise up to his lips. The nymph murmured something that made two tiny flowers bloom in his hair. It sounded so fragile, and precious, it seemed to stay suspended in the air for a moment.

"What did you say?" Taemin asked quietly.

Jongin looked at him with an overwhelming tenderness, as he said it again. And Taemin forgot to breathe.

"What does it mean?" He heard himself ask.

It was a bit silly, because he was sure he had understood. His heart was beating crazily inside his chest and he got scared that he wouldn't be able to hear Jongin because it was so loud.

"I love you."

Taemin blinked. Once, twice, thrice.

Jongin had confessed already, a few weeks ago. But this time, Taemin couldn't fool himself into thinking that Jongin didn't know what he was talking about. This time, he didn't have to find excuses and walls to put between them.

He let out a shaky breath he hadn't realized he had been holding too long already, and nibbled on his bottom lip. He then straightened up a little and did his best to hold on Jongin's gaze.

"I love you too," he said, before he could find reasons to stay silent.

It felt so good to say it, as if a terrible weight had finally vanished from his lungs.

But Taemin saw Jongin frown, and it worried him. The nymph looked away, before he turned his face back to him, eyes filled with a crushing hope.

"Taemin...," Jongin murmured, with a flimsy uncertainty, "Taemin love Nini? Really love?"

Taemin found it precious, the way Jongin reverted back to their names, to make sure he didn't got confused over pronouns.

"Yes. I love Nini. I really love you."

Taemin didn't see the countless wild flowers that bloomed in Jongin's hair. He didn't notice how every single plant inside the house opened, how every leaf turned, twisted and bushed out, how even the sleepy, frozen, grass outside, near the window they were sat against, suddenly came back to life.

He was trapped inside Jongin's wide eyes, mesmerized by those sparkles of gold shining so brightly.

"The nigh-t, I dream you love Nini," Jongin confessed in a whisper, as if he was scared that Taemin would disappear if he spoke too loud. "And today, you love I."

Jongin's smile was so wide that it made his eyes crinkle into crescents. It was both happy and mischievous, and Taemin wondered if his nymph thought this was happening only because he dreamt of it. Somehow, it made him fall deeper for Jongin.

"I want hug you," Jongin said, his eyes traveling all over Taemin's form.

Before he could let himself give in to any wish Jongin would breathe out, Taemin sat straight on their loveseat, and took Jongin's hands into his.

"I want to hug you too. I want to you hug and never let go. But I have to be sure you understand..."

Jongin moved a bit to mimic Taemin's posture, and looked at him seriously.

"I understan' love," Jongin pouted.

"I know. What I mean is-...," Taemin let out a little sigh and tightened his hold on Jongin's fingers. "I love you. I love only you. But I still have to marry Prince Jonghyun. You know that, right?"

Jongin winced, and Taemin saw him look away.

"You love a-prince not. But you marry a-prince. I know."

"Is this okay with you?" Taemin gently asked. "I don't want to hurt you. I don't want you to be sad. But you and me, it has to be a secret."

"A-sec-ret?"

Taemin put one finger over his mouth, hoping Jongin was familiar with that gesture.

"A secret. Shhh. You must not tell."

For a moment, Jongin stayed silent. Taemin hold his breath at the thought that his beloved nymph was pondering if this was all worth it. He wasn't sure what he would do if Jongin were to tell him that it was too much for him.

"A-sec-ret," Jongin slowly said. "You marry a-prince and you stay in forest, with I, forev-er. And I love you forev-er. And you love I forev-er. Yes?"

"Yes," Taemin agreed in a tight voice.

Jongin's face lightened up and he nodded excitedly.

"Nini-... I am a-sec-ret. Forest al-ways hi-de I, and all nymphs. Forest protec'. And frien-d good with a-sec-ret. Really good."

He was speaking so eagerly and happily that Taemin had troubles to even follow and understand everything. But the most important thing was that Jongin didn't seem to mind at all that they had to keep quiet about it. All that mattered to him was that Taemin loved him, and he made that very clear.

He kept chirping about how the forest would protect them and their love, in a way that made Taemin wonder why he even worried about his nymph possibly going away from him. Jongin had no intention to let go of him, not now and apparently, not ever, judging by how he repeated that they would love each other forever and ever.

Once he saw Taemin finally relax in front of him, Jongin grabbed him for a hug. It was awkward, at first, and they squirmed on the loveseat, trying to find a position that would keep them close but Jongin was frustrated every time they ended up not being able to look at each other properly. Until Taemin forced him to lay down so he could snuggle next to him, and Jongin finally calmed down, both his arms circling his elf's waist.

The loveseat and the wall next to where Jongin had been sitting were covered in flowers, along with the nymph's hair, and Taemin's heart swelled with the thought of the endless spring that would come with sharing a lifetime with him.

"Taemin?" Jongin called sweetly.

Taemin hummed lowly, his fingers tracing random patterns on Jongin's shoulder as he looked at him, completely awestruck.

"I can tell frien-ds, you love I? Please."

After what had already happened, Jongin knew he wouldn't be able to not share all of this with Kibum. He could deal with having to be careful, he could somehow handle Taemin marrying someone else for the sole purpose of staying here with him, he could accept the fact that he would never have his elf completely for himself and wouldn't be able to stay with him as much as he wanted to, but lying to his friends for years and decades would be impossible. Even for Taemin. He had to find a solution.

He was relieved to see Taemin nod at him, as if he understood perfectly.

"I don't have many friends, but they all know. If you trust them, I trust them too."

"Tru-st?" Jongin repeated.

"You think they won't tell anyone?"

Jongin slowly shook his head.

"Then, you can tell them," Taemin only said.

Jongin was fully aware of the fact that if they were discovered, Taemin would be taken away from him.

He reached out to bring one strand of Taemin's hair behind his ear, and smiled gently at him. There was something he had wanted to share with his elf for a while. He had studied hard with Kyungsoo last time he had seen the fairy, and now seemed like the perfect moment to tell Taemin about the most precious people in his life.

"Best friend," he started, "is Kibum. Kibum is a nymph too, but wa-ter and win-d. More old than Nini. Kibum is really ca-ring. Kibum sing really good."

He told Taemin all he could express about Kibum. He told him about Kyungsoo, who was teaching him elvish, and Jongdae, who played a lot with him. He told him about Chanyeol, the faun who was now always smiling, and Jinki, the fairy who made a lot of jokes.

The rain outside didn't stop, and grew stronger. It gave Jongin's story a nice and steady flow.

Jongin was waiting for spring to come back, when the weather would be gentle enough for Taemin to stay outside, because he hadn't forgotten about his wish of introducing Chanyeol to Taemin. Chanyeol was eager to play his harp for the elf prince, and Jongin couldn't wait to dance with him.

As minutes and hours passed, both cuddling on the loveseat, and then on the ground while they ate food that Jongin conveniently summoned for them, they talked and babbled, going from Jongin's friends to Taemin's. They talked about how Jongin was shy around new people and how Taemin sometimes missed his old friends from the mountains; Sinann, in particular. The nymph was dumbfounded to find out that people such as mermaids existed and it took him a lot of time to understand that Taemin wasn't speaking about water nymphs, because they sounded so much like Kibum. It also made Taemin very curious about Jongin's best friend. He couldn't deny that he was enthusiastic at the idea of meeting another nymph, one day.

The sky had been grey the whole day, and when a loud noise outside made them both jump and look towards the nearest window, Taemin couldn't tell what time it was. Jongin scurried closer to the window, and his eyes widened slightly. The rain had grew so strong, it was difficult even for him to see through the heavy curtain of water drops. Still, he could hear the wind howl through the branches of the trees nearby. Now that he had paid attention to it, it was so loud he wondered how he didn't hear it sooner. He felt Taemin kneel on the bench, beside him, and Jongin smiled, without really meaning to. Being next to Taemin surely made him forget about anything and everything.

"Oh dear," Taemin gasped, "what's happening out there?"

They saw a large branch twirl in the air, visibly ripped from its tree by that hellish wind unleashed outside.

"It is wind," Jongin answered, with a small pout.

He wasn't sure why Taemin was asking, when it was quite obvious what was indeed happening. Maybe Taemin had never seen a storm in his life. Maybe there were no storms in the mountains, for all Jongin knew.

"It's the storm everybody was worried about, isn't it?" Taemin winced. "Damn, I have to get back to the castle."

He suddenly got up, taking short, anxious steps towards the entrance to find his cloak back. Jongin stood there, incredulous, before he jumped on his feet to stop him. He grabbed his elf by the arm and looked at him with wide eyes.

"No, you stay."

Taemin sighed, taking another look through the window before he faced the nymph.

"I'm sorry, Nini. I really have to go. I don't even know what time it is. Jonghyun must be panicked. Oh, blimey, what have I done again."

"No, no. Taemin stay," Jongin insisted with a frown and gritted teeth, tightening his hold on Taemin's arm to keep him from escaping.

Taemin's mouth fell open at the look Jongin was giving him.

"Listen, I'll come back to you soon. I promise. But you have to let me go. I have to go back before it gets worse. Please, just let me go."

"You understan' not," Jongin whined, breathing out loudly as he scratched his forehead, searching for his words.

"Nini, that's what I've been telling you," Taemin sighed. He knew he should go, he knew he had to leave and reach the castle before the storm would completely blow up, he knew Jonghyun must be terrified and waiting for him to return anxiously, but he couldn't bring himself to just brush Jongin off. "I wish I could stay with you. I want nothing more than that, but I have to go back to the castle. I will always have to go back."

"Shhh," Jongin interrupted him with a pout. "I understan'. I know. Bu-t you stay home now. Win-d and wa-ter is really har-d."

Taemin froze, and he finally noticed the worry in Jongin's eyes. It wasn't a whim, it was fear.

"I can not protec' Taemin to cas-.. cast-le. It is more har-d. It is dan-ger. Taemin stay," Jongin insisted, a deep frown on his face.

"Oh."

"Yes, oh."

Taemin blinked. Did Jongin just shush him with sarcasm?

"You stay. I te-ll Ju-myeo'."

With a bossy attitude that Taemin didn't know him, Jongin jerked his head and pointed the loveseat to him. Taemin pinched his lips and slowly put away his shoes, taking tiny, quick steps towards the couch, where he silently sat. Jongin huffed, visibly satisfied with his cooperation, and turned to the tree in the very center of the room. Only its trunk was visible, supporting the whole house, and Jongin approached it. He couldn't reach Junmyeon by telepathy, unless the fairy called him first, so he had to resort to another method. He wasn't very familiar with it and he hoped it would actually work. Even if his priority was to keep Taemin safe, he didn't want Junmyeon to unnecessarily worry for the elf prince and end up injuring himself if he were to come looking for him. Jongin closed his eyes and rubbed his hands together. Taemin gasped loudly, and put one hand on his mouth as he saw flickers of gold emanating from Jongin's hands. Seeing magic so clearly was new to him. Even when he made spells himself, he couldn't see his own magic so clearly, so raw and real. Jongin brought his hands to the tree and Taemin heard something. A whisper that didn't sound elvish, nor faerish, nor anything he had ever heard before. It all ended in a blink of Taemin's eyes, and he wondered if he just imagined the whole thing.

Jongin took a couple of steps back, and then trotted all the way to Taemin, plopping down next to him with a large smile.

"I slee-p with you today," he chirped happily.

Taemin snorted, shaking his head with a sigh.

"You're quite happy about this storm, aren't you?"

"I am happy I am with Taemin."

A sudden lightning bolt illuminated the room, immediately followed by a loud, deafening thunder, and Taemin couldn't help the little exclamation of surprise and fear that escaped his mouth.

"It is danger," Jongin said once more, as if to prove Taemin how right he had been to keep him inside.

Taemin crawled closer, climbing Jongin's lap to hide his red face against the nymph's neck.

"Hug me, please," he demanded softly.

"I protec' Taemin," Jongin murmured as he hold him close.

Taemin closed his eyes with a smile. He could still hear the wind howl outside and fall against the house and he silently thanked the weather for giving him a genuine and legitimate reason to stay right where he was, and continue that little dream of his, in their house hidden from the world. The idea to actually sleep with Jongin, to wake up next to him, was making Taemin's heart soar. And he knew, deep down, that such an opportunity wouldn't come back anytime soon, so he intended to enjoy it to the fullest. For one evening, for one night, he was going to get all that he dreamed of.

When the night fell and their home was only lightened up by the roaring fire in the chimney, Jongin got them more food. To Taemin's demand, he summoned an actual meal, instead of the sweets and dried fruits he usually asked for. The nymph was a bit shy to handle dishes, and Taemin could tell in the way he hold his bowl, that he wasn't that used to eat soup. Jongin kept stealing looks at him, trying to understand how he was supposed to manipulate the spoon Taemin had given him. But Jongin was always curious, and he seemed genuinely cheerful to mimic him. It made a thousand wishes sprout in Taemin's mind, extending the long list of things he would love to do with Jongin. As he tried to teach him how to handle a fork, he thought of how sweet it would be to actually cook with Jongin, just once, instead of using magic.

"Taemin, you read for I, please?"

Jongin had barely hidden his yawn, and he was blinking slowly, looking at Taemin with a soft smile. The fire next to him made shadows dance on his face, and Taemin found himself unable to speak for a moment. He nodded, then laughed when he saw Jongin get up to sprawl himself over the bed.

"Come. You read," he simpered.

"Give me a minute, will you? I'll prepare for the night."

Jongin straightened up, but stayed silent as his eyes followed Taemin across the room. The elf took his pants and socks off, keeping only his linen shirt and underwear on before he went further into the house, and into the small bathroom.

When he came back to the main room, Jongin hadn't moved an inch, waiting for him with his eyes fixed on the bathroom's door.

"You read now?" Jongin asked again, with a pout.

Taemin gave him one of that mischievous smile that made Jongin's heart panics inside his chest. He saw his elf go to one bookcase, and pick up several volumes, before he made his way to him, pushing him a bit to get more space.

"Which one do you want?" Taemin asked, handing him the three different books he had taken.

"I know not," Jongin shrugged, "I want hear you."

His comment took a chuckle out of Taemin. Jongin wasn't going to pretend he understood what the book was about, he only wanted to listen to Taemin's voice.

"Elf-ish is dif-... diffi-cul-t. I want sleep. I understand not more but I want hear you."

Taemin looked at him in silent, and finally put the books away. Jongin didn't want him to talk about anything important, or personal, because he couldn't bring himself to focus, but the way he still wanted to listen to him was precious.

"I will tell you a story, then. I don't need a book."

Jongin seemed a bit puzzled, but when Taemin laid down on the bed and gestured for him to come closer, he found nothing to complain about. Jongin was taller, and larger than Taemin, but he snuggled on top of him easily. He tangled their legs together, and nuzzled Taemin's neck with a happy sigh.

Jongin had slept with Kyungsoo a billion times, he had slept next to Kibum's pond, holding his friend's hand through the water more than he could tell, but this was new. This was precious. Taemin was warm, and his shirt was soft against Jongin's cheek. Jongin could even hear the steady beats of his heart. When Taemin brought the blanket over them, a bit awkwardly because Jongin had decided to never move again, it felt better than his own bed had ever been.

"Once upon a time," Taemin started in a low voice, "there was an old wizard, who used his magic with wisdom and generosity..."

His hands came to Jongin's hair lazily, as he told him the tale his own mother had narrated him countlessly when he was younger.

He could tell Jongin had fallen asleep before he was even halfway through his story, but he didn't stop. He writhed a bit, trying to move enough so that Jongin's breath wouldn't tickle his neck so much, and carried on. His voice faltered a bit when Jongin hold him closer, pressing his face against his elf's chest.

When his tale came to an end, Taemin's heart clenched. It didn't matter that the thunder was still growling outside, or that the wind was making frightening sounds as it ran through the trees; he was in the safest place he could be and he wished all of this was more than an ephemeral interlude.

"Please, come meet me in your dreams," he whispered, as he kissed Jongin's forehead.

Taemin turned a bit, closing his arms around his nymph's back, and closed his eyes.

.

.

.

Hi everyone,

it's been so long ! I'm so sorry ಥ_ಥ I hope you didn't forget the whole plot & story while waiting.

Ah, did you like that chapter ? The beginning has been so. difficult. for me to write. I've been going through several personal problems while writing this and it was just hard to go through everything. But I truly, truly hope that it didn't disappoint you after the long wait ♥

I'm still very excited about what's going on in this story now, but I have to tell you, I'm not sure when I'll be able to post during summer. First and most importantly, I currently have a really bad tendinitis on my elbow and it's making it very painful for me to type so I'll probably take a few days off to heal it. I hope it will get better soon... but then, I will have some very busy weeks at work, and vacations to see my family, where I won't have a good access to internet. So I'm sorry in advance, I'll always do my best to give you the new chapters, but you'll also have to be patient... (。•︿•。)

I try to give some updates on my tumblr (@moonyki), if you want. You can also come talk to me there. I love to answer any question about Magnolia Boy.

I wish you all the best, I hope this chapter gave you a little bit of peace during your week-end.
Take care of yourself.