A new dawn

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 39: A new dawn

.

It had been raining the whole day over the forest of Honeyhills, bringing a much welcome coolness amid a couple of hot weeks. Minseok had rejoiced for his precious gardens and flowers, smiling brightly at the grey clouds and the rainfalls.

As for Minho, a rainy day wasn't much more different than a sunny one. He was busy anyway, especially with the summer solstice celebrations approaching. He also had to take care of many things concerning the royal wedding, overseeing most of the diverse preparations since Jonghyun and Taemin were doing their best to elude everything about the ceremony. Minho couldn't blame them. He had come forward to Jonghyun's parents on his own, offering his help to take care of everything on behalf of the princes so the two of them wouldn't have to pretend to be happy about choosing the tableware for the wedding that they both dreaded. Minho wasn't scared of a little work overload; it was almost welcome to distract him from other things he'd much rather not think about. Things such as how many weeks he had already gone by without seeing Junmyeon and how much he missed that little fairy he had known all his life.

Minho walked through the long hallway leading to Jonghyun's office and absentmindedly looked through the large, curved windows showing Melalhil under the rain. From above, the elven city seemed so quiet and peaceful.

When he reached the prince's office, Minho knocked on the door softly. He had no idea why Jonghyun had solemnly called him in the previous morning, asking for some of his time in private. He had been elusive when Minho had wondered about it aloud. Truth be told, Jonghyun had seem distracted ever since he had been back from his little trip through the forest with Taemin and the two nymphs; distant not in a cold way, but rather dreamy and thoughtful.

Minho came in to find Jonghyun and Kibum sitting closeby on the little bench under the open window. The sound of the rain falling on the roof one floor lower was soothing.

"Hi there," Minho greeted them with a large smile. "Long time no see."

Jonghyun smiled back at him gently but remained silent. Kibum, on the other hand, bounced on his feet to welcome him and grabbed his arm enthusiastically to bring him closer and push him on a low, cushioned seat they had placed nearby.

"Hi Mino," the nymph chirped. "How're you?"

"I'm fine, how about you?"

Kibum threw himself into a long, chaotic explanation in Elvish about his well-being, how glad he was that it was raining that day and that he was there with them – and more importantly, with Jonghyun. He told Minho about his relationship with the prince thrice and mentioned that they kissed twice, despite knowing full well that Jonghyun had already reported to him everything that had happened during their long adventure. Minho let him. He couldn't find it in himself to shut down the nymph when he was so ecstatic in sharing his happiness.

He noticed the way Jonghyun looked at Kibum as the nymph narrated everything in his broken Elvish. He looked smitten, his adoring gaze never leaving his nymph's profile. And it warmed Minho's heart.

When Kibum was done, at last, Jonghyun cleared his throat, his eyes lowering to the carpet under their feet. He was too preoccupied to look his friend in the eyes.

"I-... We have a favor to ask of you," he said softly, almost shyly.

Minho frowned slightly in worry, looking at them in turn.

"Yes, sure. What can I do?"

Jonghyun looked up at Kibum with timid eyes and the nymph nodded as he put his hand on his prince's shoulder. He took it from there.

"During our time together, something happened," Kibum said in Faerish.

He heard Jonghyun gasp beside him, and the nymph immediately turned to him.

"What wrong?" Kibum asked.

Jonghyun looked at him in awe, then at Minho, and found his friend smiling from ear to ear.

"Did you-...?" Jonghyun breathed out. "Uh-..."

"Did you hear him?" Minho exclaimed with an elated gleam in his eyes. "He spoke Faerish and you heard him, right?"

Kibum gasped in turn, his face turning joyful as Jonghyun nodded quietly, too stunned to form words. Minho clapped his large hands on his thighs and got up in excitation.

"It means that Jongdae's hypothesis is confirmed! He had a theory-... he told me about it months ago but I didn't dare to share it with you, you know... I didn't want us to get too hopeful. But he was right!"

"A theory? What?" Jonghyun murmured.

Minho was so thrilled that his whole face brightened in delight as he walked back and forth before them, waving his hands in grand gestures.

"He thought that only elves that had reached a certain degree of sensitivity and openness to magic could perceive Faerish, and that, reaching such sensitivity was incredibly hard for you - I mean for elves in general, not you specifically - because of the way magic expresses itself through you. But considering Minseok, Taemin, and now you... It seems that being around fairies isn't enough to trigger a significative change in your magic, but being around nymphs does. He told me that nymphs' magic is so raw and pure that it forces a quicker change in the way you see, perceive, feel magic around you... leading you to hear Faerish... and maybe one day even understand it! You're now proof of that! After spending a few consecutive days and nights in direct proximity of nymphs, you've opened up enough to see more, to perceive more! Isn't that groundbreaking? It's fascinating!" Minho cried out.

Jonghyun breathed out in amazement and both elves didn't notice the way Kibum crossed his arms over his chest, pouting next to them.

"I don't understand," he sulked. "Mino talk too fast."

"Oh," Minho gasped. "I'm sorry!"

Jonghyun couldn't help but laugh softly as he patted his boyfriend's thigh.

"You must forgive him. This is all very dear to Minho," Jonghyun explained slowly. "He tried to understand how to have elves learn Faerish for decades..."

Kibum's face softened. He glanced at Minho who sat back on his seat sheepishly, and nodded.

"So, why Jeon-gyun hear Fe-rish?"

"Thanks to you," Jonghyun smiled, and Kibum perked up proudly. "Jongdae and Minho think that your magic helped mine. And that being with you... is good for me."

Kibum gazed at his prince fondly, all traces of pouting had vanished from his small figure.

"I help Jeon-gyun," he gloated.

"Yes," Minho chuckled. "And it's amazing. I can't wait to discuss all of this with Jongdae. I want to study more about the different aspects of magic for each species..."

As he talked, he saw the way Jonghyun lowered his eyes again, and how Kibum straightened on his with a little scrunch of his nose. Only then did he remember that Kibum had been trying to tell him about something seemingly important – so important, in fact, that Jonghyun had quickly lost his excitation over finally hearing Faerish.

"Oh, I got a little carried away, didn't I? Sorry about that, what is it that you wanted to ask of me?"

Jonghyun and Kibum exchanged a glance. The elf prince nodded and Kibum turned back to Minho.

"So, as I was saying... something happened and we had trouble to discuss it because I don't speak Elvish good enough. We were wondering if you would mind helping us. I must explain something very important to Jonghyun, but it's complicated..."

Minho frowned again but then nodded.

"I don't mind, of course..." he murmured. "But couldn't Taemin help? Jonghyun told me that he can hear Nymph now. It would be even easier for you."

"Jonghyun preferred that we talk with you. It's about his magic and he told me that you were the only one he would feel comfortable with to discuss this..."

Minho widened his eyes and glanced at his friend. Jonghyun was staring at the floor, with a small smile playing on his lips. He couldn't understand what was exactly being said, despite knowing the general subject they were discussing; and he was a little lost in thoughts, relishing in the joy of suddenly being able to perceive the soft little sounds of Faerish being spoken around him. He remembered the day Taemin had realized he could hear it, how he had described it as little bells pealing around. Jonghyun had pictured quite an annoying noise then, but Faerish was truly lovely to listen to. Yet, he couldn't find a better description of the gentle sounds he heard from Kibum and Minho.

Facing him, Minho couldn't help pressing his lips together to try to contain his emotions. One of those thoughts he had tried so hard to repress lately was resurfacing; the feeling of distancing himself from his best friend. In the last year, he had seen Jonghyun get closer to Taemin, then Kibum. And maybe, despite himself, Minho hadn't been able to suppress his slight jealousy, his faint fear of being pushed aside. Hearing that Jonghyun still trusted him the most was so comforting for the little part of him that Minho had not wanted to listen to.

"Minho?"

Kibum's voice sounded a little concerned and Minho jolted out of his thoughts with a kind smile.

"I'll translate as best as I can, then," Minho said.

Jonghyun looked up and immediately fell into Minho's gentle eyes. He mouthed a faint 'thank you', and Minho leaned over to squeeze the prince's hand in his. Then, he turned to Kibum.

Jonghyun heard his boyfriend speak again, in that language that made his voice sound even softer and cuter. He looked at his best friend across from him, who was looking at the nymph with wide, shocked eyes, and he waited as patiently as he could for the explanations he had been yearning for the last few days.

It had been truly difficult for him to wait until the three of them would be free at the same time to meet. He had been both excited and terrified about what he would learn about his magic after spending the last decades trying to convince himself that he wasn't unworthy for not possessing any. It had been so impossibly hard to accept that he couldn't cast spells; he had grown up and built himself in that shortcoming, in some way.

It was scary to see his certainties being dismantled. And Jonghyun had felt anxious every time he had wondered what would happen to him if he had understood Kibum right... if he was truly capable of magic. What would happen then? Would it even change anything at all? What if the magic Kibum insisted that he had wasn't enough to perform spell? What if it simply wasn't good enough?

When the bells fell silent, Jonghyun timidly looked up and found Minho speechless, a look of profound stupor on his face. Jonghyun's heart began pounding.

"So...?" he asked with a grimace between a smile and a frown.

Minho blinked a couple of times and turned his owlish, stupefied face to him.

"I can't believe this..." Minho murmured.

A smile slowly stretched on his lips and Jonghyun swallowed his spit hardly.

"Please, tell me..."

Minho finally jolted out of his daze and grinned at him. Jonghyun felt Kibum turn to him and grab his hand but he couldn't bring himself to look away from Minho right then.

"Kibum said that you possess an amazing amount of magic."

Jonghyun wheezed anxiously and Minho chuckled.

"So uhm-... How to explain? He said your magic is of a rare kind and that you use it constantly... but apparently, it's so subdued that it takes-... well, it takes a nymph to see it. You unknowingly cast spells on a frequency so pure that even fairies can't tell."

Jonghyun breathed out in shock and slumped against the windowsill, eyes wide, unable to find words. He blinked quickly to dispel the tears that darkened his eyes and Kibum snuggled closer to him, softly his hair to appease him.

"How...?" Jonghyun murmured.

"You have empathetic magic, connected directly to your feelings. Kibum said that you're continually siphoning magic around yourself to spread it back. And like? The way he said it... It makes so much sense, Jonghyun. Everyone-... we always thought it was your aura. How calming you are, how comforting, how reassuring. How, just by walking into a room, you make everyone at ease. It comes from the way you use your magic to soothe tensions and appease people, and just... generally... spreading kindness. Literally. I had never heard of anything like that before. But Kibum kept saying that he knows what he's talking about, he can see it so clearly around you."

Jonghyun broke down crying in the middle of Minho's speech and Kibum immediately brought him into his arms, soothing him with gentle on his back as he cradled him.

Minho knelt on the floor and brought his hand on Jonghyun's shoulder, squeezing it softly.

"You can do magic, Jjong."

Jonghyun breathed in loudly through his sobs and wiped his tears away to look at his friend on the floor.

"But then w-why couldn't I cast spells?"

Minho turned to Kibum, who started explaining things to him once more. As he heard the bells chanting, Jonghyun pressed his palms on his eyes to calm himself.

"Because controlling that kind of magic is different than what you've been taught, different than everything elves know about magic I suppose," Minho continued with a smile, a few minutes later. "And for now, you can't regulate it. Even if you have an amazing amount of it, the way you use it is burning it all wrongly. But Kibum is positive that with proper training, you could do anything."

Jonghyun sniffed and turned to look at the nymph. Kibum was gazing at him adoringly and leaned closer to peck his cheek.

"Jeon-gyun do breath-taking magic," Kibum whispered.

And through his tears, Jonghyun laughed. He brought his hand to his lips to hide his smile.

His heart fluttered with fond memories at the sound of that word; breathtaking.

"I want ask Baek-yun," Kibum said softly. "I think maybe, Baek-yun know for this magic like Jeon-gyun. He can help."

"He would know how to teach me?" Jonghyun asked with a nervous frown.

"I think yes," Kibum nodded.

Jonghyun turned to Minho and scrunched his nose.

"I don't know... I mean, it's-... He's the Lord of Nymphs. So asking him to help me..." Jonghyun blabbered.

Kibum pouted and Minho came to Jonghyun's rescue.

"It would feel conceited for an elf to seek the help of someone as important as Lord Baekhyun."

"But it is okay," Kibum shrugged. "Kibum ask! If Baek-yun don't want to help, he help not. He will tell me he help not."

"Yes, but-..." Jonghyun started.

Kibum raised his nose and stared down at both of them with wide eyes.

"A elf can help?" he asked a little cheekily.

"Not that I know of," Minho reluctantly sighed.

"Then, I ask Baek-yun."

Jonghyun chuckled. His nose was still red, his eyes still puffy after so many shed tears but Kibum didn't care. He kissed him softly before he smiled at him.

"Thank you so much, Kibum," Jonghyun whispered.

"You welcome."

Minho got up from the floor and looked down at them kindly.

"Should I leave you now?"

"You have to?" Kibum asked sadly. "I have not see Mino for long."

"Well, no but I thought... you would like to be alone."

Jonghyun shook his head.

"Please, stay with us."

Minho sat back on his cushioned seat happily as Kibum started to tell him about the afternoon he had planned with his friends to celebrate Jongin and Taemin's union. Jongin had accepted to meet Minho, and even Minseok – to Jongdae's demand – and Kibum was impossibly ecstatic at the idea of getting everyone together.

Then, when Minho started talking about the summer solstice celebrations, Kibum listened to him with dreamy eyes. And Jonghyun wished so dearly that he could bring him to the elven party as his date.

 

 

The day was rather warm despite the rain. A light breeze made the branches of the willow tree sway, its droopy leaves caressing the ground softly. Under it, a nymph and his elf lover were hiding, sitting on the tree's roots, and hugging close.

Sometimes, Taemin was a little worried that he was getting too carefree. He and Jonghyun both, actually. Ever since they had come back from their trip through the forest, it had been even more heartbreaking to stay away from their nymphs. They kept escaping to meet with them, ditching duties, and lying shamelessly to everyone in the castle asking about their whereabouts. They became less and less wary and with Junmyeon gone, Minho overworking, and Jongdae too busy with his affairs with a certain gardener, there was no one left to make sure they wouldn't put themselves in trouble.

Summer was coming and life was so sweet... It was so much nicer to dance amongst flowers rather than concern themselves with doom and gloom. Every time Taemin asked himself if he ought to be more careful, Jongin smiled at him; and prudence was discarded in favor of frivolity.

That day, Taemin had pretended to take Chinua on a walk to flee from Melalhil. His beloved wolf had huffed at his shenanigans but had let him go and indulged herself in a quiet walk up to the North, away from the busy elven city. Taemin had run to the nymphs' clearing, uncaring about the rain, and had found his lover singing to his flowers.

"I have some wonderful news, Nini," Taemin chirped.

His cape was hanging over one branch of the willow tree, while they sat against its trunk, limbs tangled and mouths pressing against each other.

Jongin hummed distractedly. He peppered kisses all over the elf's face and brushed his soft wavy hair away from his forehead to gaze at him fondly.

"Yeah? What is it?" he whispered before pressing another kiss to Taemin's lips, causing him to smile.

Jongin wrapped his arms around Taemin's waist and brought him closer. Taemin sighed as he squirmed to sit more comfortably on his lap, then tilted his head with a little pout.

"Listen to me, it's important."

"I'm listening," Jongin murmured.

He hugged Taemin and rested his head on his shoulder, smiling softly. A few wildflowers bloomed in his light brown hair.

"It's about our future house," Taemin said; and he smirked when he saw Jongin immediately perk up with interest.

"What about it?"

Taemin slipped his arms around Jongin's neck with a content little grin.

"I've been doing researches and such," Taemin simpered. "It turns out that building a house will be far more complicated than I originally thought, but I'm positive we'll manage."

Jongin's face crumbled slightly and he was blushing when he spoke again.

"Can you speak just a little slower, please?"

Taemin blinked quickly, then nodded.

"Oh, yes. I'm sorry. So uh-... I talked to Minseok about it," Taemin continued, much slower. "He said he'll be happy to help us. Minho and Jonghyun too. We can't ask for much more people without awakening their suspicion..."

Jongin pouted and Taemin immediately bit his lip.

"I mean," he tried again, "other elves can't know why we build a house, you know? So we can't ask them. Jonghyun said we'll admit building something for the nymphs to explain the use of all the materials, but we'll try not to get anyone involved..."

"Oh, alright."

"Jonghyun gave me a map of the forest... He said that since the house is partly for you, and you're a deity, you can technically choose to build it wherever you want. But it would be better to avoid building it on someone's property, you see? So it would be better to choose a place that doesn't belong to anyone."

Jongin nodded quietly and Taemin cupped his face with a cute scrunch of his nose. The nymph was looking up to him with such puppy eyes that Taemin felt his heart clench.

"Don't look so worried, there are a lot of beautiful free places."

"I just-... I had an idea about where we could go. I thought about it," Jongin confessed. "So I hope it will be free. But..."

His voice fainted and a small frown appeared on his forehead, which Taemin immediately tried to ease with one finger.

"What worries you?"

"Well, it's just that I don't know anything about houses or building one. And you're doing all of this because I was pouty about losing Nowhere but I can't help. I mean, all I ever had is my nest but I feel like it's not good enough for you and-..."

Taemin shushed him gently and kissed him. He pressed little pecks on the nymph's lips until Jongin relaxed against him and smiled sheepishly.

"I don't know anything about houses either, you know..." Taemin giggled. "I lived in castles all my life and I never had to worry about anything. But my friends promised they would help. I'm sure it's going to be okay. I mean... we still have a lot of time before it gets cold, right? In the meantime, your nest is perfect. I promise."

He punctuated his comforting speech with a small kiss on Jongin's nose. The nymph snuggled up to him and buried his face in Taemin's neck.

"Yes," he peeped. "We still have a lot of time."

Taemin tightened his hold around him cheerfully and squirmed until he heard Jongin laugh.

"So tell me, Love," Taemin said, "where do you want us to live?"

Jongin straightened up and beamed at him.

"Come with me."

He pushed Taemin away -not without earning himself a pout - so they could get up, then laced their fingers as soon as his elf had closed his cape back around his shoulders and brought his hood over his head. Jongin dived forward to rub his nose against Taemin's, whispering that he looked adorable under his cape, and Taemin only rolled his eyes with a smitten smile.

Jongin wasn't sensitive to rain; he barely even cared about it and Taemin watched how his hair darkened and flattened on his head as it got soaked. He followed a droplet of water with his eyes as it ran down Jongin's neck, over his collarbone and chest, and he sighed blissfully.

"Taemin?"

Jongin's voice was teasing and it took Taemin a few seconds to realize he had been addressed. In Elvish. He looked up to find his nymph smirking at him, one eyebrow raised, and Taemin blushed with the realization that he had been caught red-handed devouring him with his eyes.

"What?" Taemin croaked, determined to pretend he hadn't been staring.

Jongin shook his head softly.

"Don't look at me like that," he simpered. "We're busy right now."

"But I wasn't looking at you in any specific way," Taemin whimpered.

Jongin hummed smugly and turned away, not giving any time for Taemin to compose himself and his defense before he made a large gesture with his hand, summoning a portal.

"Come now, my sefa."

Taemin widened his eyes slightly with a gasp. Jongin brought him forward and they crossed the portal, instantly finding themselves under another tree, far away in another part of the forest.

Jongin was grinning brightly but Taemin didn't look around, didn't pay attention, didn't notice where they were. He was staring at Jongin, lips parted and cheeks pink.

"What did you say?" he asked. "What did you call me?"

Jongin tilted his head in confusion.

"I'm sorry?"

"Right when we crossed the portal," Taemin insisted. "You told me to come and you said something... but I didn't understand."

Jongin looked a little perplexed for a second as if he hadn't truly realized what he had said. It only made Taemin all the more curious about it. But finally, the nymph's face brightened and he smiled so beautifully that Taemin momentarily forgot what he was even waiting for.

"You mean, 'sefa'?"

"Yes," Taemin breathed out.

"It's you. You're my sefa."

Taemin pursed his lips with a little coo.

"It sounds so soft. What does it mean?"

Jongin opened his mouth, then bit his lip and winced.

"I think... it only exists in Nymph. It's what we call the person we love the most. Sefa is... how to explain... it's my colors, you see? It's a part of me... and I gave it to you. Now that you have it, you are my heart and my soul. You're my sefa."

Taemin gaped at him with eyes shining with tears. He closed his mouth to swallow hardly but his voice still came out faint, trembling.

"Oh," he whispered.

Jongin spread his hand on Taemin's sternum and his palm pressed on the little stone that hung there under a couple of clothes.

"I'm always with you through it."

The stone warmed up against Taemin's skin and he jolted softly to grab Jongin's face and kiss him. The nymph laughed against his lips.

"I take it that you like it..."

"I do," Taemin chirped with a fond smile.

"Now, my sefa," Jongin almost purred with a pleased grin, "do you recognize where we are?"

Taemin suddenly remembered about their trip, the portal, the place where Jongin wanted to take him. Where Jongin wished to build their house.

Taemin his heels and glanced around. The rain had lessened; only a little drizzle was still falling, forming a small mist around the high grass. They were standing facing a tall, large oak tree, which branches had grown into twists. Taemin recognized it instantly. He gasped and looked at the ground, searching for a little patch of wildflowers, and he laughed when he saw how much it had grown and extended under the loving light of the sun. Then, he turned around and took a few steps back to see the tree under which Jongin remained with a shy smile.

The nymph coyly tiptoed to the side, until he was half-hidden behind the large trunk and Taemin brought his hands to his face with a little squeal.

"Do you remember?" Jongin asked with a tilt of his head.

Taemin tried to swallow his sobs as he nodded quickly.

"Of course," he pouted. "How could I forget?"

Jongin grinned and approached with a faked, played timidity until he stood right before Taemin.

"This is where we first met," Taemin whispered.

"No, no, no," Jongin pouted. "We first met at the castle! This is where we talked for the first time, Tae-mi-n."

Taemin laughed and patted his shoulder softly.

"I'm sorry. You're right."

Jongin caught Taemin's waist and lifted him to waltz with him, earning himself a surprised cry. Taemin's hood fell back and his white hair floated around his face as he laughed and clung to the nymph.

"Can we live here, Tae-mi-n?"

Taemin hugged him with a giddy smile and held him tight.

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes! This is the best idea."

Taemin cupped Jongin's face to kiss him and the nymph stopped twirling around and brought him back to the ground only so he could properly deepen their kiss.

Taemin's hair was wet and sticking to his forehead when they parted but none of them cared.

"Let's hope it doesn't belong to anyone," Taemin murmured. "Or else I will have to bring both my prince status and your holiness into play because we need to build our house here."

Jongin giggled.

"If needed, I'm ready to whine to Lord Baekhyun for help in the matter."

Taemin widened his eyes with a pleasant smile.

"Have you forgiven him?"

"Ah," Jongin pouted, "I don't know. I haven't seen him lately so we didn't talk. I just-... well, you know. I thought about all that happened and uh-... I talked to Kyungsoo. And I-... I realized that maybe it wasn't completely his fault. The house-... It belonged to Lord Baekhyun's lover, Kyungsoo told me. The wizard that had left for centuries. Lord Baekhyun had lost hope that he would ever come back... but he did. I think it's a very special place for them too... And... I don't want to be upset with him too long anyway. I don't like being upset."

Taemin blinked and wiped some raindrops from his eyes.

"I'm glad you feel better about all of this."

"Let's go under the oak tree," Jongin murmured. "You're getting wet."

He brought Taemin to shelter and softly opened his cape to let it hang on a branch - and hopefully dry a little - before he pulled his lover to the ground. Taemin sat between Jongin's legs, resting against his chest, and sighed as he looked around.

"I'll make sure that the place is free for us when I'll get back to Melalhil," Taemin mused. "And I'll let you know how it goes."

"Alright."

"In the meantime, Minseok told me to start thinking about how we want our house... You know. Is there anything we'd really like to have? How do we want it to look like and such things..."

Jongin straightened excitedly behind him with a long inhale and Taemin turned his head to glance at him joyfully.

"Do you know already?"

Jongin nodded eagerly.

"I thought-... Could we have a house like in Melalhil? I've seen them when I came for the ball, you know... They're so pretty!"

"Oh? What do you mean exactly?"

"Well, uh-... The houses in the trees! I liked them... Can we have our house in the oak tree? You know I-... I came here and I asked them the other day... The oak tree, I mean. They said they would let us. So I wanted to ask you actually... if you'd like that too."

Taemin was speechless for a moment but he soon jolted out of his stupor.

"You asked the tree?"

"Yes, they'd like to have some company as long as we're careful. We mustn't hurt them while building, you know. But I told them that the elves always build houses in trees... We would have heard about the trees in Melalhil complaining if they did it badly... So they were reassured and they said it would be lovely to welcome us. That's how they said it, 'lovely'. Would you like that? A treehouse?"

Taemin's heart melted with love. It was touching to see how much Jongin had already thought about it and timidly looked into his ideas.

If he were to be honest, Taemin would have been fine adapting to living in Jongin's little nest as long as it meant being with him. He had been thinking about building a shelter only because it mattered so much for his nymph and he was determined to give him any and everything that he wanted. But he was well aware that Jongin first and foremost wanted a house because he thought it would be safer and more comfortable to Taemin; and sometimes, Taemin found them almost ridiculous in their mutual desire to please each other.

So, if Jongin wanted a treehouse, that was what he would get.

"I would love a treehouse," Taemin grinned.

Jongin brightened and a couple of marigolds bloomed in his hair.

"What else do you want, Love?"

"Is it okay to ask?" Jongin inquired. "I don't know what's doable and what's complicated, you know..."

"Yes, please tell me everything you wish for."

Jongin looked positively thrilled and Taemin ultimately turned around in his arms just so he could have a better look at his blinding smile.

"Do you think we could have windows?" Jongin asked in a high-pitched voice, with wide eyes, looking as if he was asking for something wild and almost foolish. "I loved the windows in Nowhere... I would love to see the branches of the oak tree, and the other trees, and the flowers, and everything..."

Taemin almost laughed with how silly Jongin's wish was but he stopped himself just in time, as he truly didn't want to make him feel bad for asking. He remembered that, after all, Jongin had always lived in a little hole in the ground, under roots. It wasn't so surprising that he would love something as simple as windows and didn't realize that windows were a requirement rather than a desire in any elven house.

"Of course," Taemin nodded. "Windows. Noted. We'll bring a lot of windows in every room."

Jongin gloated and Taemin couldn't help kissing him.

"And could we have a bed?" Jongin asked. "A bed like in Nowhere. And maybe we could put it against a window! I would also love a seat by a window again."

Taemin bit his lip not to laugh.

"A bed, got it! You'll have it. And a loveseat by the window."

"We can have it all?" Jongin exulted.

"Yes, everything and more. Everything you want..."

Jongin blushed in delight. He grinned like a child and squirmed on the ground.

"That's so wonderful!"

"What else would make you happy?" Taemin asked as he his hair and all the wildflowers in it.

"Oh, I don't know," Jongin breathed out with round eyes. "I haven't thought more about it. And you can have wishes too..."

Taemin pressed soft kisses on the nymph's cheeks and nose.

"All I truly want in that house is you."

"Taemin..."

"Okay, and some books," Taemin smiled against his lover's golden skin.

Jongin nodded very seriously.

"What else? I made several wishes already..."

"Well, I'd like a balcony. Also... a bathtub would be nice. I have some plans in my head, truth be told."

Jongin looked a little dazed and confused. He had lost some enthusiasm in favor of shy perplexity.

"What is a bath-tu'?" he asked timidly. "And a bal-con-y?"

Taemin looked at him with a hint of mischief playing in his eyes.

"Should I show you what I thought of?"

"Yes, please!"

Taemin got up, hurried to his cape under Jongin's surprised protestations, and only chuckled as he glanced at him. He rummaged through the inside pockets of his coat until he found the parchment and pencil he had taken with him, then trotted back to his lover to plop down next to him.

"I'll show you," Taemin said softly as he began tracing lines on the paper.

With easy, simple words and little doodles, Taemin gently explained to Jongin what a bathtub was, along with everything useful that could be found in an elven house. He taught him the words for shelves, sink, cupboards, and all that they would need. He told him about the beautiful rugs that the leprechauns made and sold in Millglen's market and how he would love to purchase one to put in their future living room. Then, he drew the few ideas he already had, and tried to adapt them to a treehouse; how he wished for a cute, small kitchen, and a table by the window to eat breakfast, how they could create a little reading corner, and how he dearly wished for a vegetable garden, a dormer roof, and maybe even a little gazebo that they could put on the ground below their house.

Jongin listened to him intently, transported with so many explanations and how lovely everything sounded. He slowly and shyly tried to murmur a few ideas, here and there, that Taemin was eager to write down.

Protected under their oak tree, as a thin misty rain was still falling, Jongin and Taemin daydreamed about their future home.

.

.

.

Hi my lovelies,

I hope you liked this chapter ♥ It meant a lot for me to write as it shows the development of long thought-of storylines ;u;
I really hope it was fun for you to read & that coming back to our forest made you happy, as always.
Until next time, please take care!