First encounter

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 1 : First Encounter

.

More than the seasons passing by, more than the flowers changing colors, more than the trees growing up and old and the rivers getting bigger and giving birth to streams, the forest was breathing and living. It was constantly moving, driven by a cheeky self-will. It would hide places for decades, before deciding to open new paths to them, shelter some secrets and protect its children.

Kibum and Jongin had spent the numerous first years of their infinitely long lives running barefoot on the grass, catching each other, laughing through branches, playing pranks on pixies and trying to discover new places. Sometimes they lost track of their favorites spots, only to find them again, three years and five months later. They couldn't get tired of their adventures, and they couldn't get tired of each other.

The more new areas they discovered, the more they learned about and encountered other creatures. No other nymph was as gentle as Jongin, or as patient and loving as Kibum. So they stayed together through the seasons changing and their bodies growing.

The worst moment of each year was always winter. When Jongin's hair would turn grey and snow was covering everything. They both loved the quietness ; the trees turning white and the sun making the ground shine, were breathtaking. Their feet making small noises as they walked on the snow was always amusing. But with the winter came the cold, and the freezing wind Jongin feared the most. Kibum had warned him, when November had come the first time, because he was afraid Jongin would panic. Even as he knew it, it was always a terrible shock for Jongin to see his friend's pond completely frozen, sometimes for one week, sometimes for three or a bit more. On the sunniest days, he could catch sight of his friend, sleeping, curled up at the deep bottom of the ice. He would then patiently wait for Kibum to warm up and come back to him.

He had tried to spend time with other nymphs during those weeks, at the beginning. But he always felt a bit too shy and awkward when Kibum wasn't with him. Most of his furry friends were hibernating too so he would stay with fairies, who where always good company, or just sleep through the cold too. Sometimes, he still liked to take long walks and enjoy the absolute silence of some corners of the forest.

The first time Jongin had seen an elf was during winter, when he was alone, and taking a stroll at night. Kibum had been terribly jealous when Jongin told him about this chance encounter, six days later. Jongin hadn't done much though, he had hidden himself immediately, too surprised and bashful to try to talk to the other creature. But Kibum had always wished to see an elf, and after this, he was even more decided in finding one.

The elves ruled over the forest. They were the ones protecting it from intruders and making sure each species lived peacefully. They were well respected, and mostly admired. It was Kyungsoo who told the two nymphs all he knew about elves. He was Jongin's favorite fairy, because he was wise and calm. He told them about the elf prince, and how lucky they were to have come to this world when it was him who was about to take the throne. Because Kyungsoo had been there when far less kind beings had been in control of their land.

"Why haven't I seen an elf already? I want to see one!" Kibum had pouted one day. "Are they so rare?"

Kyungsoo had laughed at that.

"They're not the rare ones. They're literally everywhere. You are the extraordinary ones."

Kibum and Jongin had been so surprised at his comment that Kyungsoo had to sit on Jongin's shoulder and explain, while rolling his eyes a bit, with a smile.

"To elves, and leprechauns, and most beings in the forest, you, nymphs, are legendary. It's really hard to see you, because the forest... It loves you so much. It protects you really well and constantly hides you, so that nothing harms you. I can see you, because I'm really old and I know how to behave. I guess, you might have passed next to elves a lot of time, but the forest didn't let them see you. The forest has much more creatures than you might think and most of them want to meet you."

He turned to Jongin, with a smile, ignoring the profound shock on Kibum's face.

"I think that elf you saw once was a really gentle one, to have been allowed to cross your path."

Jongin had a shy smile at that; it felt curious to learn they were so treasured. Kibum, on the other hand, had got up and was walking in front of them, muttering for himself.

"I don't care if he's not the kindest one, I still want to see an elf." He said, before turning to the trees. "You have to let me see at least one. Please!"

A small gush of wind passed through some branches and landed on his face, and Kibum made a face.

"Please," he repeated.

He had to wait a few long months before the forest finally indulged in his wish and choose two elves it cherished and trusted enough to let Kibum approach them. It happened in summer. Kibum really liked summer because the weather was warm and everything in the forest was even more demanding of water. So everywhere he would go, the grass, the flowers and the trees would ask for his attention and love.

Jongin was picking up some apricots, which were some of his most favorite fruits, and Kibum was hooked upside down on the branch of a tree. He was playing with Jongin's hair, whispering how nice its color was lately.

"I like it like that, soft yellow..." he whispered. "I wish my hair could change color too."

Jongin had smiled, before giving him a fruit, his hand then coming to play with one of Kibum's strand of hair.

"Yours is really pretty too. It doesn't exactly change color, but it always seems different depending on the light. And there are already so many different shades in it."

Kibum was beaming with that compliment ; he was about to answer something, when he abruptly closed his mouth, his body going up again as he stood still on his branch.

"Did you hear that ?" he asked, his eyes widening.

Jongin frowned, suddenly paying attention to the sounds around them. He heard the steps of a horse -or was it a doe?-, a little further from them, but couldn't understand what made Kibum so surprised.

"What do you mean ?"

Before he could finish his sentence, he heard a voice. He didn't understand what it was saying, because he didn't know that language. But he saw Kibum's face brighten up impossibly with delight as he jumped to the next tree.

"It's an elf! I'm sure it's an elf! Come on Jonginnie, it's an elf!"

"Ah-! Wait..."

Jongin tried to keep all his precious apricots in his hands before he quickly followed him. He was glad to be the wood nymph of the two of them, as he could move faster than Kibum when they were escalating trees, otherwise he couldn't have kept up with his friend's excitement.

Kibum suddenly stopped in an oak tree, leaning against the trunk and biting his lips. Jongin halted his run next to him, and narrowly caught up one of his fruit that tried to escape his hold. They heard a voice again and Kibum's eyes shone with happiness. He crouched on one branch, moving slowly and parting some leaves to see what was happening. His eyes fell on a large white horse and he made sure he was hidden from view. He felt Jongin laying down on the branch right next to him and made a move for him to be quieter. When he finally laid his eyes on the rider, Kibum felt all the air leaving his lungs at once.

"Oh dear... Jonginnie, look at him. This might just be the most beautiful being ever," he said with breathless awe.

The elf was tall, with a lightly tanned skin and long braided dark hair that was caressing his back. His pulpy mouth was stretched in a soft smile as he was still talking, words that the two nymphs couldn't understand. Kibum was eyeing him greedily, his pointy ears that were so charming, his big warm eyes and his large hand that came to cover his laughter.

His language seemed so strange to Jongin's ears. He tried to understand it, but it was all really curious sounds and noises. It had nothing to do with the nymph language, or faerish. It was completely different from the way animals talked, or the nature expressed itself.

"He is indeed very handsome," Jongin admitted with a shy smile.

But Kibum wasn't listening to him, because he heard noises on his left, and another elf was coming. Said elf was turned away from the nymphs, rummaging in a bag hooked to his saddle, so the first thing Kibum saw, was that he wasn't riding a horse but a huge, majestic deer. Just as the nymph was about to coo in adoration over the beautiful animal, he got a glimpse of the elf's face and froze on the spot, his mouth open.

The two elves were talking, laughing together over things the nymphs couldn't understand.

"Nevermind," Kibum hushed, softly hitting Jongin's arm. "Nevermind what I just said... I-... Look at this one. Look at him. How is he so pretty? How are elves so handsome? What is this?"

He was sparkling with joy and Jongin was looking at him, so happy to see him that satisfied. Kibum had his eyes glued on the second elf, who was pouting, sitting on his deer and looking around himself. Meanwhile, his long-haired friend had a soft expression of amazement as he was staring straight at Kibum's face. He had heard some rustling coming from above, and was met with a sight he couldn't believe was true. He wondered if he was really lucky enough to have encountered a nymph, or if his eyes were playing tricks on him. But the ethereal aura he perceived around this being was unlike any other he ever saw in his life. For a moment, he wanted to reach out to him, but stopped himself just in time. The creature wasn't even looking at him and he shouldn't trespass the forest's law. He had already been blessed with catching a glimpse of him and shouldn't push his luck. As he decided to leave him be, he realized the nymph was marveling at his companion, leaning over a branch and being really close to just fall from it. It gave him a cheeky grin, and he decided to stay quiet about it.

Behind Kibum and still unseen, Jongin slowly went back against the trunk, sitting against it and resuming his focus on his food. Even though he had never been that curious about elves, he didn't mind staying until Kibum would be satisfied enough. Still he didn't see the point of looking at those two strangers without being able to even understand them. Also, looking at people for too long embarrassed him a lot, it was a very strange thing to do, in his opinion.

He heard a small buzzing sound next to him and smiled to the fairy who had just arrived. Recognizing one of their most loved friends, Jongin gave him a small portion of his apricot, earning himself an avalanche of gratitude.

"What'cha doing there ?"

Kibum waved his hand behind his back, motioning for him to quiet down, while Jongin only chuckled.

"He's spying on elves..." he softly explained to their little companion.

The fairy made some rounds in the air with a light cackle as he approached Kibum, resting on his shoulder while eating.

"Who is he?" Kibum sighed. "He's so beautiful... How is this possible?"

The fairy tilted his head before following his gaze.

"Oh... You're talking about the elf prince ? Eh, I think his name is Jonghyun."

Kibum turned to him with eyebrows so high on his forehead that they had almost disappeared in his hair. Jongin had even stopped chewing, swallowing hard before he came a bit closer, just to be sure he didn't hear wrong.

"What did you just say?"

"His name is Jonghyun."

Kibum rolled his eyes at him, looking really annoyed with this eccentric little thing he called a friend.

"Did you just say he was a prince?"

"Ah! Oh yes... or well-... It depends."

The fairy turned back to Jongin, making some adorable face and asking for more food with a twinkle of his wings. Jongin gave him some, while Kibum was getting exasperated.

"What do you mean it depends? Jinki please, focus on me!"

Jinki shrugged, his malicious smile blooming on his face.

"Always so demanding. Well it depends because there are two elves here. So maybe you're talking about the one on the right. But I thought you were talking about the one on the left, right?"

Kibum frowned, confused, and looked back at the two elves, before sighing.

"Yes, yes I am-... wait-..."

"It's right," Jinki said, with an hysterical laugh. "You're talking about the one on the left. Or the right? Which one is right?"

Kibum caught him by one foot, shaking him upside down while the fairy was still chuckling.

"Ooh you, you're such an annoying little troll."

"One is the prince, the other is not," Jinki added with a solemn tone, one hand on his heart.

Kibum looked back on the two elves, but they didn't seem to have paid attention to all of this din. Kyungsoo did tell them once, that the nymph language was too soft to be heard by mundane creatures. Much like the whispers of the trees. As for faerish, that they were speaking together in that moment, even the loudest sounds were quieter than a morning drizzle to all non-spirits beings. So what seemed like intense babblings to Kibum, must have been like a soft breeze to the two elves below them.

His eyes fondly slid on the silver short hair of the smaller elf, a smile looming on his lips as he witnessed all his entertaining facial expressions. Thinking that they were in the presence of royalty was really strange and exciting. But might this elf be the real prince or not, Kibum couldn't deny he felt adoration and respect invade him at the mere sight of his stature.

"The one riding the deer..." he confessed.

"Yep, that's the prince," Jinki giggled, before yelping when he felt a hand pulling on his ear.

Kyungsoo had appeared on Jongin's head a few seconds earlier and had come to his fairy comrade with a very displeased face.

"Jinki, you disgrace! How dare you speak about His Majesty with such disrespect..." he grumbled. "You can't just say "Yep that's the prince" like that, you snail."

Jinki pulled out his tongue and Kyungsoo gritted his teeth, visibly containing himself from hitting him once again. Instead he turned to Kibum and Jongin, who came closer to sneak a peek at said prince.

"This is our loved and wonderful Sovereign Kim Jonghyun, the Lord protector and prince of our forest. May he be blessed. And he is accompanied by his captain and dear friend Sir Choi Minho, deleguate of the Council of High Fairies of Hazelbarrow in Melalhil," Kyungsoo said with a pompous voice and a small reverence.

Kibum turned to Jongin with a delighted face.

"Can you believe this Jonginnie? This is the prince. Our forest's prince! We got to see him."

"This is very-... I don't know. I feel really small right now," Jongin admitted, his cheeks getting redder by the seconds.

Kibum had a smile at his obvious display of shyness, but he couldn't deny he understood what his friend was saying. The way the two elves were moving around, with so much grace and elegance, and then knowing they were really important people around there... It seemed like a lot of pressure to just be around them when all they ever did in their lives was playing around and enjoying the wind. For a moment, Kibum wanted to get down from the tree and approach them. He wished to hear them better and understand elfish, he wished to be seen and to look at the prince closer, he wished to touch those funny clothes and guess what they were made of. But he couldn't dare. Instead, he got comfortable again and looked over the prince tenderly, with a lovestruck smile, while Jongin was discreetly discussing some food related opinions with Jinki and Kyungsoo. They stayed like that for a while, as the prince and his friend were taking an eating break to whatever mission or wandering they were on. Kibum didn't seem to be able to get bored of the sight, and Jongin patiently waited for him.

Kibum was a tenderhearted spirit; he was very passionate about things he loved. Sometimes he could get just as shy as Jongin, but his curiosity always had the best of him, forcing him out of his shell of anxiety. That made him a bit awkward at times, but deeply adorable. He loved to show or give any kind of affection, and most of all, he adored beauty. He was a pretty being himself, and loved to enjoy, listen, or see any display of grace. So it came as no surprise to Jongin that he would enjoy spending hours just staring at a pretty creature even if he couldn't understand one thing about what they were saying. It wasn't that rare for Jongin to wait for Kibum, until the oldest was ready to move on to something else. He always did, and he would always do, as he looked up to his dear friend quite much. In return, Kibum was very understanding of every little quirk of him.

Finally, the elves left, returning to wherever they were going, and Kibum was ready to go down his oak tree as well. At this precise moment, when Kibum sighed as the prince was getting out of sight on his deer, Jongin knew that Kibum wasn't ready to let go just yet. And he wondered if he would ever be, as he had yet never seen his friend with such a sparkle in his eyes.

Kibum had been dancing his way back to the place they called home.

 

Jongin had been right. It didn't take Kibum more than a couple of days before he shyly asked Jongin if he was okay to accompany him for a stroll in the forest. This was a rather natural thing for them to do, so the youngest didn't understand at first why Kibum looked so bashful, until his friend asked in a tiny voice if they could search for the prince.

"Oh, so you do have a crush on His Majesty," Jongin had teased.

At the sight of Kibum's blushing cheeks, Jongin had blinked. He had thought the other would deny it, but Kibum didn't even try.

They searched for him, they asked the animals, they asked Jinki and all the plants, but the prince wasn't wandering anywhere on that day. He seemed to be kept busy inside the elven castle. Kibum had tried not to be too disappointed and had apologized to Jongin for making him lose his time over something so stupid. He had seem hurt to pronounce that word, 'stupid', as if he really didn't think it was that idiotic, but he was scared his friend thought so.

"Maybe we can try to find him tomorrow," Jongin had answered.

Kibum's face had brightened so beautifully that every witness to the scene would have thought he was a child of light.

They found him two days later, as he was practicing archery with Minho and another elf. It had been a bit tricky because they were far away from home and it made Jongin a bit nervous; but he tried to hide it to not darken his friend's happiness. Kibum once again raved over the beauty of the prince's face, of his high cheekbones and delicate features. They were hidden in a cherry tree and Jongin let him roll over a branch as he took a seat comfortably, a bit higher. He made sure the foliage was hiding them correctly and carefully wrapped a braided root over Kibum's form, so he would be securely held and wouldn't fall over because he got too carried over the prince.

"His eyes are so incredibly splendid... Their forms and color..."

Soon, Jinki had joined Jongin and they both talked, sharing food as they were used to. Kyungsoo had followed a moment after, as if he had sensed his dear nymph was under bad influence again.

At some point, Minho heard a distinctive rustle, which made him look higher. He couldn't hold back a tender smile, as he recognized the same nymph he had already perceived. The spirit was once again captivated by the prince and nobody, up in that tree, noticed they were held under an affectionate stare.

The three elves made a break, and talked together. Kibum was a bit upset about not being able to understand what that deep voice was saying. He was used of assimilating new languages quite fast, as a nymph. They would listen, listen, listen some more, until their hearts and minds could open themselves to understanding. But the elfish words were different to the intuitive speaking of the other species he knew of. Kibum couldn't quite get it. Still, with the way the three of them expressed themselves, how the prince moved around, his really meaningful pout, it wasn't that hard to understand that the warmness of the day was tiring them.

A soft smile played on Kibum's lips, before he softly blew in the direction of Jonghyun. The prince jumped a bit, before he closed his eyes and laughed happily. His friend seemed jealous, trying to get some wind for himself. And Minho looked over Kibum again; this nymph having a soft spot for the elf prince was probably the cutest thing he had ever seen.

After that day, it became a habit. Some days, Kibum and Jongin would go and search for Jonghyun. Kibum would spend hours looking at him and doing all kind of small unseen attentions to please him, while Jongin would nap, eat, talk to whatever animal was around, or enjoy the weather. Sometimes Kibum would ask him to come closer because the prince was doing something really incredible and he needed support through witnessing it. Little by little, Kibum's praises went from his beauty to his kindness, his generosity and all his personality. He was particularly proud when he started to pick up a few words, recognizing them and deducting their meaning ; like "arrow", "stop it" or "wait". He tried several times to repeat them again, when he was bathing in his pond, but wasn't sure he was getting the pronunciation right. Jongin would look at him funny and laugh a bit, and Kibum would throw water at him and continue dreaming of a moment he would be able to speak to his prince. Maybe. Someday.

At some point, some animals, fairies and flowers started to warn them when Jonghyun was getting out of his castle, so Kibum could go find him. It made Jongin smile, as it seemed the whole forest was cheering for his unconditional love.

But Kibum still wasn't decided to actually introduce himself to Jonghyun. Minho would often perceive him, and found it amusing, how the nymph didn't realize he had been spotted, the same way the prince was completely oblivious to his secret lover.

The seasons passed, and when Kibum got out of his freezing state in January, he was so eager to see his prince again after three weeks and a half, that he barely waited for Jongin to wake up in the morning. Then Jongin's hair changed to hazelnut again, and blond. The routine was pleasant to both nymphs. The youngest had admitted that Kibum would probably never get over his crush, and he couldn't blame him.

When July arrived, Jongin caught himself hoping that one day, he would feel such adoration towards someone too. Kibum's dedication and happiness seemed very nice and appealing.

 

A big event was yet to come, when August came to an end and Jongin's hair started to turn pink. Jongin was taking care of the flowers growing up on the rocks of their waterfall, tickling them more than anything. The sun was slowly setting down, bathing their home of an orange light. And Kibum was laying on the shore of his pond, his hand tracing soft drawings on the water.

"Oh I could sail the world," he sang in a smooth lovely voice. "Search through the darkest waters but I'd never find..."

His melody was slow and he closed his eyes, his voice getting a bit louder.

"These golden eyes..."

The wind was carrying his words, making the creatures around turn to it. As quiet as a nymph talking was, his singing on the contrary could be carried away like a wonderful lullaby, charming and enticing.

"Oh I'd wait for the seas to part... to be with you."

He smiled at those words, before the serenity of the moment disappeared. He straightened up, sitting with a frown as he felt the wind changing. Jongin turned to him, wondering why Kibum would cut down his lovely song.

"Kibum ? What's happening ?"

The oldest looked at him with a small pout.

"I don't know... There's something odd. Don't you hear that ?"

Jongin raised his head a bit and focused on his feet, solidly anchored to the ground. He could feel the nature through the earth, he could sense the wind going through the branches and he could tell everyone in the forest was suddenly excited. Something good was happening. Something joyful and the whole forest was shuddering with anticipation.

Kibum wiggled a bit before biting his lips in a shameful smile, getting curious himself.

"What on earth is going on ?"

They looked at each other before running their way out of their home. Everyone was talking with so much effervescence they couldn't understand anything. Until Kibum politely called a dragonfly.

"Excuse me, do you know what is happening exactly?"

The insect flew around him few times and tickled Jongin by coming too close to his neck.

"A wedding! A wedding is going to happen!"

Kibum froze, his face getting confused as an uncomfortable feeling was settling down his stomach. He didn't want to think why the whole forest would go so wild over two people getting engaged. They sure didn't get that overwhelmed last time two fairies got married.

"And there's a ball. In two days. They invited everyone who wish to come."

Jongin seemed to realize what the problem might be, and he came closer to his friend, putting one hand on his shoulder.

"His Majesty, the Prince Jonghyun, is finally getting married!"

Kibum closed his eyes and put his hands on his ears, as if it could make all of this disappear. The dragonfly seemed really confused about his reaction and Jongin excused them, thanking it few times before he took Kibum back to their home. He shushed all the plants, whispering them to not talk about it.

Kibum suddenly disappeared from his arms, vanishing into small water drops that rejoined the pond. He couldn't take back his real form, but Jongin still heard him.

"I'm sorry."

Jongin sat next to the water, smiling sadly to it.

"Don't apologize Kibum. I understand this might be painful..." He felt a bit unsure about his choice of words, as he knew he couldn't actually know how Kibum was feeling, for he had never felt that kind of love.

"I feel silly."

He marked a short pause and Jongin had no idea what to do with himself. Hearing Kibum being so gloomy was sorrowful.

"Did I really fall in love with someone I never talked to?" Kibum murmured. "Am I even in love? Is this jealousy? I-... I feel so, so silly. As if an elf and a nymph-..."

"You're not."

Jongin saw his friend reappearing in the clear water. Kibum swam to him, putting his chin on the shore. The youngest softly his hair.

"Is there anything I can do for you ?"

Kibum looked to the side, his head sinking into the water again.

"Can we-..." he started, before sighing. "Do you-... I mean-... Would you-... I-... I want to go to the ball. Would you come with me?"

He seemed so small and timid, asking him that favor, that even though Jongin knew it would be hard for him, he didn't hesitate.

"Of course, if that's what you want."

Kibum put his hands on his face.

"I still want to see him. And-... I want to make sure he's happy. As long as he is happy-... I could-... I could accept it. Probably."

Jongin had been especially gentle with him after that. Once the euphoria had calmed down, and the forest was quiet again, Kibum agreed to get out of his pond. Jinki had come to discreetly support him ; even though they spend most of their time annoying each other, and bickering over the smallest things, the fairy deeply cared for Kibum, more than he would ever admit, and was very considerate of his feelings.

Kibum waited for Kyungsoo, who was the oldest being he knew, to ask him the question that had burned his lips for too long now. He needed to know. He needed an answer.

"Kyungsoo, is it possible... for an elf and a nymph to be together?"

The fairy had looked at his blushing face with wistfulness.

"Well, to be honest Kibum, I've never heard of it. I can't answer you. As long as I lived, nobody said anything against it, but I don't think anyone ever considered it... for you are so precious, an elf probably wouldn't dare to have you."

This only made Kibum even sadder.

When they decided to go to the ball honoring the future husbands, Jinki had asked if Kibum planned on being seen this time.

"Absolutely not," Kibum had answered with a sad frown. "It's too late now. It would only make things worse for me."

He just hoped that whoever was that person that Jonghyun was supposed to marry, he was the most wonderful elf that ever lived. Because his prince deserved no less

.

.

.

(note : the song Kibum sings at the end of the chapter is "To be with you" from the Honey Trees)