Parting

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 43: Parting.

.

In one of the highest towers of the elven castle of Melalhil, a young nymph awoke. He stirred and stretched his arms lazily before he sat up in Jonghyun's bed and looked around, blinking cutely as his eyes tried to see through the darkness. A flimsy ray of sunshine peaking between two heavy curtains caught his eye and he swiftly slipped away from the bed, squinting as he realized that the bright morning light had already submerged the prince's bedroom – out from the shielded alcove where the bed rested – through the large, magnificent windows covering the ceiling.

He could hear the faint chirps of birds calling each other on trees and roofs not so far away.

Kibum sighed softly and walked to one of the armchairs, his feet light and stealthy on the ground. He retrieved the thin silk dressing gown that Jonghyun had offered him a few nights prior and cautiously laid it on his shoulders before he came closer to the windows to glance at the gardens and the city extending far below through the foliages.

He heard a soft moan, then linen creasing. The curtains opened behind him and he smiled fondly.

"Good morning, my beloved," came Jonghyun's sleepy voice.

Kibum could tell he was smiling. He turned his head to look at him and grinned.

"Good morning."

He reported his attention back outside and Jonghyun let himself fall on their bed with a sigh. For a moment, they remained silent. Kibum closed his eyes.

An important day had come. One that Kibum had only dared to imagine and daydream about years ago when he first fell in love with Jonghyun. But the lovely little fantasy of ever being introduced to the castle as Jonghyun's fiancé had been buried deep in his heart ever since he had heard of Taemin's existence. Even after properly meeting Jonghyun, even after hearing that the elf prince loved him dearly, he had tried his best not to let the beloved delusion take over him again, as he was quite certain that it would never come true.

Kibum took a long inhale to keep his overwhelming emotions under control and he jolted when he felt Jonghyun's arms slip around his waist and bring him against the prince's chest in a tender embrace. It wasn't often that Jonghyun managed to sneak up on him; Kibum always sensed him from far away. But when he was so lost in thought, sometimes, he forgot to pay attention.

Jonghyun pressed a gentle kiss on his cheek.

"Did you sleep well?"

Kibum turned slightly and nodded with a tiny smile. Jonghyun quietly brought his hand to the nymph's face and brushed his cheek as he studied him. He opened his mouth but refrained from saying anything, closed his lips again, and frowned. He was pondering. Trying to put words on the things he could feel.

"What's troubling you?" he ended up asking with a pout.

"I am scared," Kibum confessed with wide eyes as if it surprised even himself.

"It isn't required of you to be there," Jonghyun said gently. "If you'd rather-..."

Kibum interrupted him with a little shake of his head and Jonghyun closed his mouth.

"I want to come. With the pretty clothe," Kibum simpered and his lover chuckled. "But... uhm... som'times, I have many uhm-... feeling. I think many things change. And I am scared."

"Too many things have changed?"

Kibum nodded once more and his gaze got lost on Jonghyun's collarbones. His eyes seemed misty and Jonghyun wondered what it meant.

"I have loved you for a long time," Kibum whispered. "A very long time. And you love me too for a little time. And... I think about all the elves, and the King, and the Queen, and the wedding..."

His voice trailed off and his cheeks reddened. Jonghyun frowned but he couldn't help smiling as he pushed on Kibum's chin gently to make him look up.

"Are we going too fast?"

Kibum winced. It pained him greatly to admit it because he finally had everything he had always wished for so dearly. But everything was as frightening as it was delightful.

"We don't have to get married, you know," Jonghyun said.

Kibum gasped, visibly upset and slightly horrified at the thought of not being able to marry Jonghyun.

"We can not?"

"We can," Jonghyun hurried to clarify with a grin. "But we don't have to. Not immediately. That's what I meant. I can marry you later, in a few years, whenever you want. We can take our time until it feels right and comfortable. And not just required of us."

Kibum relaxed and the mist dissipated from his eyes. They shone prettily with happiness.

"We marry later?" he repeated cutely.

Jonghyun looked at him for a moment. He slowly brought his hands up to cup Kibum's face and kissed him.

"Yes. We can marry later. You can do things as you please. You can ask for anything you want."

"Really?" Kibum breathed out.

"If you'd like, you can come to sleep here with me every night. Or just sometimes. You can have your own room in the castle, as Taemin did, if it pleases you. We can see each other every day in Melalhil or the forest. We are free to do anything you'd like. As slowly as you'd like."

Kibum bit his lips and squinted slightly, thinking about too many things at once.

"I come to Mel'hil-... Mela'hil and I learn Elfish more with Minho?"

"Yes, you may."

Kibum's face, still held in Jonghyun's hands, brightened with delight.

"And we go to look in Mela'hil?"

"Yes, we may visit the city."

"I can have more clothe?" Kibum asked with bated breath.

"Of course you will."

Kibum grabbed Jonghyun's hands and squeezed them excitedly.

"It will be won-der-ful."

"Yes, yes it will."

 

~

 

There was a soft knock on the door and Kibum looked up shyly from his seat on Taemin's bed. He had been left there alone after the mountain prince had taken over an hour of his time to help him prepare, dressing him in the sumptuous outfit Jonghyun had had made for him especially for the occasion, and doing his hair as prettily as he could manage.

Some strands of his hair had been braided with golden threads and ornated with fancy hairpins shaped like droplets of water. He wore on his ears the fine pieces of jewelry that Jonghyun had offered him, and on his hands and wrists, exquisite rings and bracelet joined by thin chains of gold.

Kibum was so overwhelmed by how pretty and precious he looked that he had barely dared to move and had spent most of his alone time looking at himself in slight awe.

Someone knocked again.

The nymph got up slowly and gently lifted his long dress not to trip on it. Never before had he worn such complicated elven clothing. He had white pants, made from the finest linen Jonghyun could order. It was soft and light against his thighs but completely invisible – to his greatest regret – under his gown of deep green satin. The fabric felt like water, loose and flowing around his body.

As he had waited, he had kept fiddling with the gold buckle of his belt and the clasp that kept his long scarf around his neck.

Kibum took a short inhale and timidly opened the door. Minho stood on the other side, wearing his formal brown and green outfit of the captain of the guard.

"Hi there, are you ready?" Minho asked in Faerish, with a gentle smile.

"I think yes," Kibum whispered. "Taemin told me so. Is it time for me to come?"

"In a minute... I just thought you'd like some company while you wait."

Kibum happily opened the door wider to let his friend in and Minho let out a tiny gasp as he finally took a proper glance at him. His evident admiration and appreciation caused Kibum to blush with delight.

"Am I pretty?" he asked with his nose up and knowing full well that he was quite stunning.

"You are ravishing," Minho admitted very honestly with a warm smile. "I'm sure you'll make quite an effect at the meeting. Jonghyun is probably going to shed a tear or two."

Kibum couldn't help smirking and the two rascals chuckled in concert.

"Would you rather wait here or get closer to the parlor?" Minho asked.

Kibum immediately came forward, eyes wide and bright.

"Oh, let's go closer, please."

He closed the door behind himself and slipped his hand under Minho's arm as he had seen some elves do before. Minho smiled but didn't comment on it.

"How is the meeting going?" Kibum wondered as they started walking away.

"It's getting better," Minho said quietly. And when he felt the nymph squeeze his arm with worry, he explained further. "It was a lot to take in for most people. Some expressed confusion, others were a little upset to have been kept in the dark for so long. Jonghyun was a little too ready to take all the blame, as he always does, but his parents didn't let him. Lord Baekhyun was of great help, as he had promised... When the discussion got too heated he stepped in and eased all troubles. Everyone listened to him and calmed down. I think some might need time to accept the situation but at least, no one questioned it after Lord Baekhyun spoke. And if I may say... I think seeing you will ease the last reluctant minds."

Kibum glanced at him anxiously before he looked back at the long hallway before them.

"You don't think they'll be upset with me?"

"Honestly? I think they'll feel so blessed to see you that they'll forget every last bit of their vexation."

Kibum let out a tiny laugh that sounded more nervous than happy.

"I'm a little concerned still," he whispered. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do."

"Your presence alone will be enough," Minho comforted him with a little pat on his hand.

"Will you stay? I think I shall feel so much better if you stayed."

"Then, I will."

Kibum sighed with relief.

They walked very slowly through the castle and both pretended not to hear the gasps, not to see the taken aback looks that followed them. It was the first time Kibum walked around in the castle without concealing his aura. It was the first time he walked around, wishing to be seen. He was a little too shy to look back and hold all those gazes, but he welcomed them and kept his head high.

When they arrived at the parlor, Minho knocked, and all the muffled voices that they heard inside quieted down. The door creaked open and, upon seeing them, Jonghyun smiled with relief. Then his gaze fell more precisely on Kibum, and his lips trembled.

"Are we too early?" Minho asked.

Jonghyun blinked quickly, eyeing his lover from head to toes a couple of times before he managed to look at his friend, with red cheeks and shiny eyes.

"You uh-... I-... What?" he fumbled with words.

Kibum's smile was radiant.

"Are we too early?" Minho repeated with a snort.

"Oh. No. No, you're right on time. Thank you," Jonghyun coughed before he extended his arm for Kibum. "My love, you're-..."

He only let out a tiny sigh and his lack of words pleased Kibum more than any grand speech could ever have.

"Thank you. You are breath-taking too," Kibum simpered cutely in Elvish before he grabbed his arm and gave an appreciative glance at the prince's outfit.

Jonghyun wore a silver robe that fitted his broad chest perfectly, along with a dark green belt and tunic. And, standing next to each other, Kibum couldn't help but notice that their clothes matched.

His arrival brightened the whole room. A sudden excitation exploded like a dozen small fireworks. First, there was a collective gasp and a movement that felt like everyone had taken a step back in surprise when in fact, they had remained perfectly rooted on their feet and hooves. Whispers arose and ran through the little committee of guests, shaking even the King and Queen, little hiccups of 'It's true' and 'He's really here! A nymph!'.

Jonghyun felt the atmosphere change instantly; the slight irritation that had weighed down onto his and Taemin's shoulders lifted instantly and morphed into admiration and bliss. Kibum shifted just a tiny bit closer to his prince with a bashful smile, eyes cast on the floor because he simply didn't know who he was supposed to look at. But the ecstasy so tangible in the room flattered him to extends he didn't even want to admit.

The Lady of Centaurs was the first to get a grip on herself and come forward, bowing humbly.

"My Lord, I feel honored that our future Sovereign is worthy of a nymph's love. I beg you to forgive the fears and incomprehension that first my heart. I am much obliged to be under your rule now and for as long as your reign may continue."

Jonghyun answered with words and sentences far too complicated for Kibum to understand but as all the beings present paid their respects one after the other, he slowly managed to hold their gaze and answer with gentle bows to their compliments and congratulations. From the corner of his eyes, he noticed Taemin, sitting a little stiffly next to the thrones and looking rather relieved to be out of everyone's attention, then Minho, standing still and strong not so far away, smiling at him ever so gently.

The queen looked particularly moved and emotional when she bowed to the nymph and whispered how grateful she was that her son had found someone who loved him so genuinely. After which, the atmosphere softened even more.

They ate and talked, and Kibum remained close to Jonghyun at all times, trying to understand each conversation and relying on Minho sitting on his other side to help him by translating some important information. When asked when their wedding would take place, Jonghyun kindly explained that they were in no rush and would take things slow for Kibum's well-being, and the leprechaun who had dared utter the question every other being had been gnawing on all morning, didn't dare ask anything further for he understood that the answer was irrevocable.

The meeting turned out to be so pleasant that Kibum wished that Jongin had chosen to join them – before he remembered that the poor wood nymph would have withered of anxiety before setting even one toe in the room. Still, as he saw Taemin idly sighing at his table, Kibum wished he had company.

As he was caught up in those thoughts, Kibum almost didn't hear the few words whispered in Spirit language next to him. The Lord of fauns was sitting leisurely on a seat, his long red beard curling and falling all over his broad chest. His eyes were set on to the royal couple as he smirked. He had been quiet for the whole meeting and everyone present had taken his silence as an acceptation of the situation, quite certain that if he had found fault in it, he wouldn't have hesitated to make his opinion known.

"Aren't you glad?" he said in his deep voice.

Taemin, although he would have understood, was too far away to hear him. Kibum turned his head, frowning slightly, but the faun looked away, staring right at Baekhyun with mischief.

"I am," Baekhyun calmly answered.

"It's all coming together for you," the faun simpered before he grabbed his glass of nectar and sipped on it. "At long last. Well done."

A chill ran up Kibum's spine but before he could ponder about it, Jonghyun called him sweetly to offer him some more of the dandelion pancakes. Any thought and worry about Baekhyun's schemes were instantly forgotten and the nymph enjoyed the very pleasant company for the rest of the lunch.

 

~

 

It took a few days for Taemin to arrange his trip back to the mountains. A few blessed days, in Jongin's opinion, when he could enjoy his lover's presence without any guilt. But far too soon, the mountain prince found himself in his bedroom, packing a few clothes while his took care of collecting and loading food for the journey.

While he knew, deep in his heart, that he would come back to the forest – as he was deeply determined to find his way back to Jongin at all cost – Taemin still felt a certain nostalgia as he bundled up his belongings. Upon his return, he would move in with his nymph and as much as he wished for nothing else than Jongin, it was quite melancholic to think about leaving his beautiful room in Melalhil.

With a sigh, he rested at the end of the bed, exactly where he sat, months prior, when Jonghyun had first brought him there, and he looked around with a gentle smile. So many things had changed since then. Yet he could still perfectly reminisce the fear, anxiety, and misery that had seized him when he had come to the forest. The enchantment that had followed so quickly afterward.

"What a year it has been," he murmured to no one.

Then, he suddenly remembered that his little cottage with Jongin was still nowhere near completed and he giggled to himself for being so dramatic. He might have to remain in his bedroom in Melalhil for a couple more nights upon his return. Or maybe he'd be able to sleep in Jongin's nest. Either outcome would satisfy him.

Jolly again, Taemin got back on his feet and went back to packing with a renewed energy.

Everything had gone so well up until then that he was convinced that his parents would listen to reason and that he and Jongin would have their happy ending as well. It couldn't go any other way.

 

~

 

They were to leave in at early morning on the next day and Taemin had asked permission to spend his last night with Jongin. His wish had been granted and truth be told, he would have gone either way for he couldn't imagine not being near his nymph at such an important moment.

That evening, once he made sure that every guard who partook in the journey was ready, that everything was perfectly settled, and each tiniest detail had been taken care of, Taemin went to the stable and found Chinua waiting for him, already saddled.

"Will you take me to him?" Taemin asked as he ruffled her fur tenderly.

"I'll take you anywhere you wish. Always."

She gave him a fond look and Taemin wondered if he would ever manage to understand her the way Jongin did. He mounted her and together, they walked away. The prince gave gentle smiles and little waves as he passed by people he knew, and whispered promises that he would come back.

Jonghyun had promised that he would be there on the next morning to see him off. Minho as well. Of course, they would. Still, Taemin's eyes lingered on the castle as they left Melalhil and disappeared deep into the woods.

"Do you know where the clearing is?" Taemin asked his wolf.

Chinua kept walking steadily and confidently, and so he relaxed with a tiny nod, unknowing that she was only following the path that the forest lead out for him.

When they reached the hidden entrance Taemin knew so well, Chinua stopped. She wasn't allowed further and she understood it. Taemin climbed down her back and took off her saddle so she would be comfortable overnight, and he took a few minutes to pet her and wish her goodnight, asking her to come to fetch him at dawn. Leaving the saddle on a patch of grass against a nearby tree, he then pushed the heavy ivy out of the way and headed on the lovely path under the arches and toward Jongin.

The nymph was sitting under his willow tree, his gentle silhouette barely visible behind the curved branches brushing against the grass. Taemin came closer, eager to join him, and grinned when he saw him pretending to be very focused on the bouquet he was putting together; his cheeks – already bright red – betrayed how excited he was to have his prince near again.

"Hi there," Taemin whispered as he sat next to him and pressed a loud kiss on the blushing face.

Jongin glanced at him and kissed him back.

"Hi."

In his hands, the collection of nemophila – soft and adorable little blue flowers with a white heart – and orchid cactus – large and beautiful white flowers with long stems – bloomed prettily.

"What are you doing?" Taemin asked as he rested his cheek on Jongin's shoulder.

"Just a little thing... to wish you safe travel. And a safe return to me..." Jongin murmured. "I'll go put them at the heart of the forest tomorrow after-... you know. So that the Acacia Spirit will grant me my wish."

His voice wavered a little and Taemin slipped his arms around his waist to hold him close.

"Thank you."

He pressed a loving kiss on Jongin's neck and the nymph sighed.

"Taeminnie. What is your favorite flower?"

Taemin snorted and looked up to squint at the nymph who only frowned in return.

"Don't you know?"

Jongin pouted as he tried to remember if Taemin had ever told him such information. He would have remembered, he was certain of it. But he also couldn't begin to understand how he had never asked him before.

Taemin chuckled and it suddenly dawned on Jongin. He blushed again and muttered something unintelligible. A few magnolia flowers sprouted in his bouquet, big and bright and of a delightful pale pink.

"Is that so?"

"Perfect."

"Pink and blue and white... I'm not so sure about how this looks," Jongin complained but he still set the bouquet aside. "It will do."

He turned around and welcomed Taemin closer, snuggling to him happily.

"Oh, do you really have to go?" he asked, a little petulantly.

"Nini..."

"I know. Yes. I'm sorry."

Taemin cupped his face and pecked his nose, his chin, his cheeks, then his lips. They had had that conversation too many times already and Taemin had to trust that Jongin would be alright while he was away. There wasn't much more to endure from there.

"For you," Jongin whispered against his lips.

"Mhmm?"

Taemin looked down and, between their bodies, Jongin conjured one more magnolia flower. With shaking hands, he tucked it inside the little pocket inside Taemin's coat and gave him a tiny smile.

"So you don't forget to come back to me."

Taemin grinned as he grazed the soft petals.

"I almost took mine... You know, the flower I picked up when I first saw you. At the ball. Do you remember?"

"I do." Jongin's voice wavered with emotions. "Why didn't you take it?"

"I was scared it would wither," Taemin confessed. "It's still so perky and pretty and I wondered if it would wilt once I took it out of the forest."

Jongin's eyes widened for a moment, then they softened into a very fond gaze.

"This one won't."

"Thank you, Love."

 

They laid in Jongin's nest at night, holding each other close, and Jongin murmured sweet nothings and love confessions to Taemin in every language he knew until he was sure that his prince would carry his endless affection with him to the mountains and back without ever doubting it.

 

~

 

When morning arose, Jongin was still gently holding Taemin in his arms. He had watched over his dreams lovingly through the night and had tried very hard to compose himself so he would appear calm and serene for Taemin's departure, and wouldn't burden his lover furthermore with worries over his well-being.

And as the light slowly pierced through the roots of his willow tree, he realized that his peace of mind wasn't entirely faked anymore. Somewhere along the way, the tranquility he had attempted to force had found him.

He woke Taemin with kisses and soft calls of his name. Together, they drank the cold tea and ate the sweet pastries that Minho had prepared for them the day before. Jongin fondly laid a flower crown on Taemin's white hair, kissed his nose, and smiled.

"Shall we go?"

They met Chinua outside the clearing and she lead them to the edge of the forest. Taemin was holding onto Jongin's arm, cutely telling him about the first time he had walked upon those very paths; he was overwhelmed with emotions and memories and longed to share the thoughts he had never expressed out loud.

"I will miss the forest, even for a few days. You know, going back to the mountains makes me happy... just slightly, because I do miss my home and my family... and I think I'll have a pleasant time seeing my old room and talking with old acquaintances. But I will miss the trees very much."

Jongin pouted slightly at that. Not petulantly, but because it suddenly occurred to him that he had never given that much attention to where Taemin had grown up and he felt guilty of it.

"How are the mountains? How is the castle there?"

Taemin looked up to him with a bright smile and Jongin's heart warmed up at its sight.

"I often thought that it felt cold and lonely. Now I find myself longing for it a tiny bit only because I haven't seen it for a year. The castle is carved inside the mountains. Everything is big and tall and stunning... but oh so gray. Maybe someone else would describe it as made of silver and spectacular... but I could only see shadows and solitude. The mountains, though... the mountains are so comforting. A very pleasant kind of quiet. Probably eerie though, when you're not used to their company."

Jongin listened quietly, only asking him to repeat a few words here and there, and Taemin described to him the sculpted palace, the hidden caves and lakes, the grand squares and stone bridges, then the salamanders, gargoyles, and merfolks who shared the mountains with the elves. And Jongin realized he still had so much to learn of and from Taemin. It was exciting.

Taemin quieted down when they reached the fringe of the trees and saw the little committee waiting there. The guards that composed Taemin's escorts were already out of the forest, talking animatedly as they waited for the prince, but the two lovers' friends had all gathered in a little corner shielded by tall trees.

When he saw Junmyeon sitting comfortably on Minho's right shoulder, Taemin gasped and his lips quivered.

"Dear Light," he exclaimed, "why did you all come? It feels like you're sending me away forevermore."

"Folly! You ought to return, and promptly so," Junmyeon snorted.

Taemin grinned with a look of mischief.

"They're ready," Jonghyun said quietly as he gestured to the waiting for him not so far away.

"Then, I shall go."

Jonghyun came forward and squeezed Taemin's arm gently, his big, gentle eyes full of too many emotions.

"Take good care of yourself and call if you need any help. We will all be waiting for you here, at home."

"Don't make me emotional," Taemin murmured. "It's only a couple of weeks."

Jonghyun grinned and Kibum took his place. One by one, they offered Taemin a smile and a few words of comfort.

"Stay safe and come back quickly, dear," the water nymph murmured.

"Do not fret, for I will take good care of Jongin in your absence," Kyungsoo promised.

"It'd be nice if you could remember to bring us a little something from the mountains when you come back, don't you think? Something special to eat together to celebrate your return," Jinki said with a little shrug – and Taemin promised he would.

Jongdae flew to him and held out a tiny acorn proudly.

"Here. It is from Minseok's garden for good luck and protection," he said in Elvish with a cute grin and Taemin thanked him fondly before putting the precious talisman in his pocket.

"He just copied me," Minseok murmured as he placed a small tin in Taemin's hand with a wink. "It's a little custom... nothing fancy, just some soil from Melalhil to remind you of the way home."

"Oh, thank you," Taemin whispered, getting more overwhelmed with each loving goodbye.

"There's no need to get emotional," Junmyeon sniffed as he blinked very quickly and tried to swallow his tears. "You'll come back quickly and then, everything will be perfect. Let's not get too sappy, alright? But you know... I came here what... Ten? Eleven months ago... and I saw you there, riding that wolf of yours, and I guided you to Melalhil... and we went through a lot, didn't we? Oh, I feel so sad that we didn't get that much time together the last few months... I was busy. You were too. How glad I am that we're here now, so you can go and make things right and-..."

"Myeonnie, he must go now," Minho sighed while rolling his eyes.

"Alright then," Junmyeon said with an affected air. "Alright. Take care and everything... You know."

Taemin thanked him with a soft chuckle and groaned when Minho tousled his hair fondly.

"I'm sure you'll be fine," he said warmly.

"I shall be."

Taemin timidly turned to Chanyeol standing idly against a tree, his hands behind his back, looking at him with his big eyes open wide with nervosity.

"I think you are very kind," Chanyeol murmured before he took a couple of steps forward.

"So are you," Taemin smiled, and Jongin translated for the faun to understand.

Chanyeol looked even more bashful but he came closer and took a small inhale before he leaned his head forward and took Taemin's hand timidly to put it on one of his horns.

"The other creatures... they always say that our horns bring luck. I'm not sure about it but it doesn't hurt to try..."

Taemin let out a little giggle and softly patted the horn before he slipped his fingers under Chanyeol's chin and lifted his face.

"Thank you."

Chanyeol went away and only then did Taemin realize that all their friends had retreated a few meters away. They were out of sight but he could still hear them talking; Jongdae was inviting everyone at Minseok's for a cup of tea and a little chat and Kibum was gently declining because he planned to spend the day with Jongin and he didn't think his friend would like so much company on a day like this.

"There's nothing left to say, is it?"

Taemin turned to Jongin. The nymph was gazing at him adoringly, with a longing in his pretty eyes that hurt just a little.

"I will be back before you can even miss me," Taemin simpered with a smirk.

"That's a lie."

"Yes, I believe it is. But I will be back. Very soon. And then I'll spend forever with you."

Jongin took a long inhale and brought Taemin into his arms.

"I'm looking forward to it."

Taemin tilted his head and kissed him. He cupped Jongin's face in his hands and lovingly pecked his lips, breathing him in and committing his softness to memory for the long days ahead.

"I love you, Taemin," Jongin murmured in Elvish.

"I love you too. More than any word in any language could express."

Taemin turned away and when he set foot outside of the forest, Jongin couldn't help but sigh painfully. He watched as his prince mounted Chinua, gave him one last confident smile, and rode away with his .

 

~

 

A little weight landed on his shoulder and Jongin didn't have to glance down to know Kyungsoo had come to him. He felt Kibum's reassuring aura behind them and smiled softly. With only his two closest friends left, he didn't care about holding the few tears that escaped his eyes. Neither Kibum nor Kyungsoo commented on it and he was grateful for their discretion.

"Will you come with me to the heart of the forest?" he asked in a small voice.

"Of course, Jongin dear," Kyungsoo assured.

Kibum took his hand, laced their fingers, and together, they swiftly went back to their clearing to take the floral offering Jongin had so carefully made the day before. Then, they undertook the small journey to the Acacia tree where Jongin quietly asked that Taemin would come back to him, safe and happy.

 

~

 

The next morning, as he awoke, Jongin felt a hollow in his chest that had him rolling on his flower bed to hide his face in the moss and grass of his pillow with a sigh. It was silly, he thought, because he was used to spending a couple of days away from Taemin. He had done it so many times before that he had been a little too confident that the longing would really begin to hurt later. He thought he would have a tiny respite, a couple of days before the pain hit him. But he could feel Taemin's absence so much deeper, far greater than ever before, for his prince was out of his reach. Even if he begged, even if he went all the way to Melalhil, Taemin wouldn't be returned to him quite yet.

He would have loved to remain there, hidden in his nest, for the whole day. Away from everything and everyone. He still felt tired even after his long sleep. But he knew that avoiding his friends would only worry them and so, full of courage, Jongin heaved himself out of his nest.

"Oh, you're up!" came Jongdae's cheerful voice as he flew around.

"Hi there."

Jongin spoke softly while squinting at the bright light that invaded the clearing. He noticed Jongdae hovering above him with a large pouch in his hands.

"I brought you cream puffs!"

The nymph's face brightened visibly and he immediately sat down to eat breakfast with the little fairy.

"Do you know where Kibum is?" Jongin asked with a forlorn look to the calm pond.

"At your cottage, with everyone," Jongdae chirped. "Or like, your future cottage. It's coming together nicely though if you ask me."

Jongin widened his eyes with surprise.

"Oh? Everyone?"

"Minseok decided to work twice as hard... He said it would be grand if we could finish your house for when Taemin comes back. Although, I don't know if I was supposed to tell you... If anyone asks, pretend you didn't know, alright?"

Jongin's parted lips wavered with emotions for a second before he closed them abruptly and nodded.

"That's so very kind of you... Everyone, I mean."

Jongdae grinned at him with all his teeth before he opened his mouth as wide as he could and engulfed as much of his cream puff as was fairily possible.

"We af' had brea'fask," he spoke with his mouth full before swallowing hard. "And I brought you some too... We can join them if you'd like... or stay here. I just-... well, you know. I wanted to check on you."

His voice had softened into a gentle whisper.

"How do you feel?" he asked with a tiny tilt of his head.

Jongin inhaled deeply and his eyes fell on his lap.

"I'm alright," he murmured. "I miss him a little... but it's alright."

Jongdae didn't insist. He only nodded and went on eating before he began to tell him about the little adventures they all had at the construction site, namely: Chanyeol had been clumsy and had walked over some fresh paint – there might be some hooves marks on their living room's floor and Jongin happily assured that he didn't mind – and Kibum had wanted to test the watertightness of their roof by conjuring a heavy rain and hadn't heard in time Minho screaming that it wasn't waterproof just yet. But Minseok had promised that no mischief was beyond repair. For the time being.

Once they were done eating, they took off to the oak tree together and Jongdae was delicate enough not to ask about Jongin's slow steps that forced him to fly back and forth because he couldn't quite match the nymph's slow speed.

Everyone welcomed him with large grins and kind words, and Jongin would have probably been bewildered at the sight of proper, always charismatic Prince Jonghyun in loose pants and a dirty shirt, hammering some nails in a wall, if only he had been able to pay attention. But the walk from his clearing to the oak tree, as small as it was, had tired him.

He felt like he couldn't breathe. He couldn't focus on anything else but the emptiness in his heart. And although he only half-complained, almost shyly, muttering that he was a little tired and slightly sad, all of his friends silently understood.

Jonghyun studied him for a moment but didn't dare to say anything. And it was Minho who, despite his usual reserve with the wood nymph, came close and laid a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"We are all very happy to build this house for you, I promise," he said in Faerish. "Please rest. You can stretch out in the shadows below if you'd like to remain near us. Don't force yourself into anything."

With a whispered thank you, Jongin did as he was told. He climbed down the little treehouse which looked more and more like a cozy home, and walked toward a small rowan tree. He laid in its shadow and sighed as he heard the cheerful conversations of his friends, not far away.

He wondered if Taemin thought about him as much as he did.

"He does," the tree above him said.

Jongin smiled cutely and buried his face in the grass. He closed his eyes, breathed in deeply, and when he opened them again, all he could see were green leaves. He bit his bottom lip and brought his hand to the ground, burying it in as easily as if the soil was butter. And he thought of Taemin. Taemin, his warm, pretty eyes, his full, smiling lips, the curve of his cute nose and the little mole on it...

All around him, flowers sprouted and bloomed at full speed, as if eager to be seen by the wood nymph only. Primroses, dahlias, gerberas, yarrow, roses, even tulips, and orchids. All in the most vibrant, bright shade of pale yellow.

When he watched over his new garden, tears gathered in Jongin's eyes. He let out a relieved sigh of bliss and inhaled the sweet floral perfume of his creations. No flower alone could recreate the color he loved so dearly; but together, with longing tears making his gaze a little blurry, his flowers looked just like Taemin.

.

.

.

Hi dears,

♥ this chapter was really emotional.... It was so pleasing to write but also had me sobbing a lot. I really hope you liked it.

There are only two chapters left & it's both so satisfying & terrifying. I hope my happy ending plan will please you ♥♥

Thank you, always, for reading this story! Please take care of yourself until we meet again.

 

find me on twitter // curiouscat