The one made of storm

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 20 : The one made of storm

.

The sun was barely rising, bathing Junmyeon's office in a soft orange light through the large windows. Everything was silent, except for the small snores that the fairy was letting out, slouched over his immense desk. He had fallen asleep during the night, on top of his paperwork; one of his tiny shoes had slipped out, and he was drooling over his own arm. A door slammed at the other end of the corridor, and Junmyeon suddenly awoke with a little cry, jerking up as he heard his name being called. He blinked, trying to stop his eyes from squinting as he scratched his head, confused.

"What? What is it? Yes?"

"Junmyeon! Have you heard from Taemin?"

Jonghyun appeared at the doorway, disheveled and out of breath. His hair was sticking in every direction, and his swollen eyes were wide open. He stopped himself when he saw the poor, miserable state of the fairy sitting there. Junmyeon had trouble to stay upright, but he still did his best to bow a little.

"No. No, my Lord."

"Were you sleeping?"

Junmyeon pinched his lips and clenched his fists, his cheeks colored red.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I must have fallen asleep without realizing."

Jonghyun came closer, leaning against the wooden desk with a contrite frown on his face.

"Please, don't apologize. I'm sorry I woke you up. You deserve to rest after all you've been doing..."

The storm had come the day before, ravaging the whole forest just as Lord Baekhyun had predicted. Junmyeon had been glad that the nymph had told them about it beforehand, so the worst damages had been avoided; but the forecast having been too vague, they couldn't have completely protected the elvish city. A few gardens had been completely wiped, and a couple of suspended bridges had been destroyed.

Junmyeon had never seen a storm quite like this one. On latest news, nobody had been too severely injured. Jongdae hadn't been able to escape a strain on one of his wings as he had tried to help as much as possible, flying right through the awful wind. After that, Junmyeon had ordered him to rest, until it was safe for him to go back to Hazelbarrow and see a proper fairy doctor.

Junmyeon had spent the entire night buzzing in the castle, yelling orders and trying to keep everyone in containment, picking up broken glasses and over-using his magic. Minho had been out when the storm had hit, and ended up trapped in the other side of the city, while Jonghyun had outdone himself running around to keep a track of everything and everyone.

"I assure you, that Taemin is the safest of us all."

Jonghyun let out a shaky, edgy breath and sat down on the armchair in front of Junmyeon.

"Ah, you told me that already, didn't you? I'm sorry. I've been-... I don't know what time it is."

Junmyeon rubbed his eyes and stifled a yawn.

"It's alright, my Lord. I bet Taemin and Jongin are still asleep, blessed and far from worries. I envy them. You should rest, now. I will let you know as soon as I know more."

"I can't," Jonghyun immediately answered, as he laboriously got up. "I don't think I'll be able to rest until I know for sure that Taemin is back and safe. It's not that I don't trust you, or the nymph... I just need to see him... safe. Besides, I have to go back and help at the library... It's chaos in there. I'll go back to the healers after that."

Junmyeon opened his mouth, but he realized that nothing he could say would make the prince change his mind.

"You can try to rest and I'll tell Minho to come see you as soon as he's back," Jonghyun offered.

He didn't wait for the fairy to retort anything, and as he disappeared through the door, Junmyeon knew that he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep anytime soon. He hoped that Taemin would come back promptly, for the sake of Jonghyun's peace of mind.

Junmyeon rubbed his eyes with his fists once more. A little buzzing sound made him jump a bit, and he looked around, quite perplexed. He frowned as he noticed something flying in the room, coming close to him.

"What-...?"

Whatever this was, it emitted a low light, and Junmyeon first assumed it was a firefly. But fireflies weren't supposed to be out in winter, neither in daylight. It was troubling, to say the least.

"What's happening to you?" Junmyeon asked, lowly. "Did the storm surprise you?"

The insect came closer, and landed on the desk, right in front of him. That's when Junmyeon realized he was dealing with a honeybee. A bright, shiny honeybee, that still wasn't supposed to be out at this time of the year. It also wasn't supposed to sparkle, was it?

Junmyeon blinked a couple of times, thinking his tired eyes might be playing tricks on him, because this little honeybee looked like it was made of gold.

"Not at all," the bee said, "I just came to pick you up."

Junmyeon straightened up with a gasp.

"Pick me up? Why would you pick me up?"

"Well, we have an appointment."

The honeybee sounded annoyed with him, and Junmyeon opened his mouth like a fish out of water, wondering when he ever took an appointment with an insect.

"Holy jelly, do we? Since when?"

The honeybee started to fly again, and in a twirl, it turned into a dragonfly. That's when realization hit Junmyeon.

"I told you I would need to talk to you after the storm, you forgetful tiny thing," the dragonfly whined.

Junmyeon hiccuped, his eyes growing big as he suddenly bowed in front of the insect.

"I'm sorry, Lord Baekhyun. I didn't realize it was you!"

The dragonfly came back to halt next to the fairy, poking at him with his wings.

"Well, I couldn't go around in the castle on my two feet. It isn't time to create more tumult; those poor elves are very busy already."

Junmyeon rolled his eyes with a huff. He knew that the Lord of all nymphs was a shapeshifter, able to take the form of any animal, but he wasn't exactly used to witness it.

"You could have introduced yourself."

"I could have, indeed. Now, will you come with me or are we going to discuss unimportant details all morning?"

Junmyeon jumped at that.

"Come with you? Where? Now? Why? I have a lot to do in here... My Lord, Melalhil is completely upside down, and Minho-..."

Baekhyun turned into a honeybee again, and started to push on Junmyeon's back with his head, interrupting him.

"Nothing you could possibly do here would be more important than what I need you for. Your precious hybrid is fine. Now come with me, out we go."

"But-...!"

"We have a matter of the utmost importance. Will you stop being unnecessarily worried and follow me?"

Junmyeon's bottom lip trembled with all the things he wanted to complain about, but he bit it and nodded reluctantly. He staggered to fetch his missing shoe, along with his coat, scarf, and hat.

"How much time will it take?" Junmyeon asked, his fingers twiddling with his clothes. "Should I warn anyone here of my absence?"

"Junmyeon, please just come with me. None of this is important right now."

The fairy sighed, knowing it was useless to argue with Baekhyun when he was being like this, and flapped his wings, taking off behind the golden little honeybee. The forest was excessively silent that morning, with a light and icy breeze still shaking the trees. As they exited the gardens surrounding the castle, Baekhyun twirled again, and appeared in his nymph form to Junmyeon's eyes. He looked over the fairy, and gave him a smile both mischievous and gentle.

"If you're too tired to fly, you may lay on my shoulder. Our trip might be a bit long."

Junmyeon looked worried for a second, but then he flew closer, landing softly on the nymph. Baekhyun's skin under him was radiating warmth, as always, and Junmyeon found it comforting. It was a bit intimidating, sitting there. Never before had Baekhyun proposed to carry him this way. And on any other day, Junmyeon would probably never have dared to accept, but he was exhausted.

"Where are we going, exactly?" Junmyeon asked in a low voice.

"To a hidden place," Baekhyun answered in a whisper. "Beyond the swamps."

"Can't you summon a shortcut?"

To Junmyeon's surprise, Baekhyun laughed. He seemed happy, and the fairy wondered what could make the Lord of nymphs so joyful. It had to be wonderful.

"No, I can't. The forest is too sensitive right now. There's so much magic in the air already, it's thick and heavy."

"I can feel it too."

"Let's walk and not burden our forest even more."

Baekhyun's steps, albeit gracious and smooth, were fast. He seemed eager as he hopped over roots and dashed around trees.

"The elves were bothered," Junmyeon continued. "I mean, because of the storm. There was so much magic, they couldn't tame it. It was too raw, too impressive for them to use. They were quite helpless."

"Nobody got too heavily injured, though. That's a good thing."

"Jongdae-..."

"I know," Baekhyun murmured. "I know. He'll be fine. He won't be able to fly for a few days, but he'll be alright."

Junmyeon stayed silent for a moment, his eyes fixed on Baekhyun's profile.

"Do you know what caused such a ravaging magical storm to fall upon us?"

"I do. We're heading there."

His comment made the fairy freeze on his spot. Junmyeon felt his heart race with both fear and curiosity. He had no idea what Baekhyun was exactly waiting from him, but what he did know about the situation was quite worrisome. Going to the source of such a storm wasn't that appealing to him.

After that, Baekhyun started to hum, and Junmyeon decided to not ask any more questions. He listened to the soft singing of the nymph as they continued their expedition through the eerie silent forest. Baekhyun wasn't making any noise as he walked and climbed. He had told Junmyeon that he didn't want to use magic, but still, the way they moved so swiftly, how fast they whirled, it didn't seem common enough. The fairy wondered if Baekhyun was so used to his powers that he didn't realize he conjured them.

It took them a while to arrive to the swamps, and Junmyeon unconsciously scooted closer to Baekhyun's neck, catching a strand of his hair as he looked around nervously. The swamps weren't his favorite place in the forest. It was dark, grim, and the perpetual mist above the water was ghostly. He noticed a dozen of will-o'-wisps floating around, making him feel even more tensed.

Baekhyun went on his merry way through the wetlands, as if the moist ground under his feet wasn't bothering him at all. But his skin was radiating even more light and warmth than usual, and Junmyeon felt like it was the nymph's way of reassuring him.

"We're almost there."

Junmyeon saw a soft light peering through the darkness, far ahead of them, and felt relief wash over him as he realized that Baekhyun was going straight towards it. It was flickering in the distance, growing bigger as they came closer. It lead to a small path, in between trees, where the ground went from damp to iced again. They went down, and Junmyeon looked curiously around as they were soon surrounded by enormous stones, covered in roots of even more gigantic trees forming arches above their head. He wondered how any light could even reach that part of the forest, when he couldn't see the sky. Baekhyun hopped over rocks, taking a passage in a cave, that lead them to a large, open space. Junmyeon hiccuped as his eyes fell on the ruins of what seemed like an ancient temple. He wasn't sure who could have built those arches and stairs, centuries ago, but the forest had taken them back, covered them in roots and frozen vegetation. The whole area was bathing in a golden light, as the sun was shyly peering above their heads.

Baekhyun was still silent. He went down large stairs, crossed a small river and stopped in front of a large, sharp rock pointing towards the clouds.

"We've arrived."

Junmyeon didn't dare to move. He waited a couple of seconds, for Baekhyun to explain why they were even here, but nothing came. He turned to the nymph, who was apparently busy staring at the stone in front of them, and the fairy frowned.

"It's... very pretty," Junmyeon awkwardly whispered.

For some reason that he couldn't understand, he felt too shy to speak louder.

"Indeed, it is. I think it's perfect," Baekhyun smiled gently.

And Junmyeon sighed. He took off from the nymph's shoulder, flew to the ground and walked around, his nose high in the air as he looked around.

"Lord Baekhyun, what are we doing here?" He finally asked, trying not to show how perplexed he was.

He puffed, and bend down to sit on a pebble, but a sudden shriek from Baekhyun stopped him and made him fall forward.

"Don't sit on him!"

Baekhyun rushed to the ground, falling on his knees as he looked over the fairy with wide, angry eyes. Junmyeon looked over his shoulder with a puzzled face, staring at the white little stone that the nymph was now protecting with two fingers.

"What-...!"

"He's still very fragile," Baekhyun interrupted him. "Please be more careful."

Junmyeon sniffed and straightened up, dusting up his clothes as he came closer.

"What are you talking about? What is this?"

Junmyeon blinked quickly when he saw Baekhyun's face suddenly light up with delight and happiness.

"Junmyeon, this is the most beautiful day of all," the nymph chirped.

"Is it?"

"You've been chosen."

The fairy tilted his head. He wasn't sure why, but his heart clenched in his chest.

"Chosen? What for? What do you mean?"

Baekhyun's eyes went back to the round, smooth little pebble under his fingers. It was the size of a walnut, and when Junmyeon looked closer, his eyes widened impossibly. It was moving, very slightly, just barely shivering, as if it was breathing.

"He came to life during the storm," Baekhyun explained in a soft voice, "and he is yours to protect."

Junmyeon momentarily forgot how to breathe. He felt his whole body go rigid as his big, round eyes locked themselves on that tiny thing in front of him that he almost sat on.

"He's a wind nymph," Baekhyun squealed excitedly, "with a strong stone heart. Can you feel how powerful he already is? He made that beautiful storm alone."

Junmyeon felt a tear roll down his cheek before he even realized that he was crying. He whimpered and brought a hand to his mouth. His head was spinning with a thousand thoughts, and Baekhyun stayed silent, glancing at him with a tender look on his face.

A new nymph had been born and the forest had chosen him to look after that precious spirit. Amongst all the fairies living in their gigantic home, he, Junmyeon, had been chosen as the protector and guardian of the tiny little thing who had wreak havoc the whole forest.

"Can I-...," Junmyeon murmured with hesitation, "Can I touch him?"

Baekhyun nodded, retreating his fingers to let Junmyeon waddle closer. Slowly, as if he was scared that the slightest touch would break him, the fairy laid one hand on his nymph, and him gently.

"He's very soft," Junmyeon hiccuped with a trembling smile.

"Of course he is," Baekhyun snorted.

Junmyeon laughed and put his head on that living stone, pressing his ear against him. He closed his eyes as he heard a very faint and slow heartbeat.

"His name is Sehun."

Junmyeon straightened at the sound of Baekhyun's voice, and bit his lips.

"Sehun," he repeated. "That's sweet."

"He's going to wake up in a few weeks. A bit before the arrival of spring."

Junmyeon blinked a few times. He was eager already. He couldn't wait to see him grow.

"What should I do?" He blabbered. "I should stay here with him, probably. Right? Is he going to be okay? I have to stay to protect him..."

"Are you scared someone's gonna sit on him?" Baekhyun smirked.

Junmyeon gave him a stern look and huffed.

"You don't have to stay here for now," the nymph continued. "Only nymphs can come there. The forest won't let anyone else approach. Well, besides you. It will take him a little bit of time to grow big enough."

The fairy nodded, his eyes jumping from the nymph Lord to the little pebble that was Sehun.

"Oh, alright then. Alright. That's good. I'll still-... I'll come often. So he doesn't feel lonely. I'll have a bit of time to prepare... I must prepare. I should-... Oh. I can't tell anyone, can I? At the castle! What am I gonna do? I can't come to work, I will have to take care of Sehun!"

Baekhyun sat more comfortably on the ground and tapped his index on Junmyeon's head, hoping to calm him down a bit.

"You are allowed to talk about Sehun to your hybrid friend, Choi Minho. And to the princes, both of them."

Junmyeon's jaw fell open at that statement, and he looked at Baekhyun with crazy eyes.

"What?" He croaked. "How-... Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am. Trust me."

Junmyeon had grown to be worried and wary of those words Baekhyun said too much, in his opinion. 'Trust me'. It wasn't such an easy thing to do for the fairy who had the feeling he was a victim to the nymph's whims more often than not. And they usually came without further explanations. But that day, such words sounded like a sweet and soft release from the endless maze of lies where Junmyeon was sure he was about to fall into again.

He was allowed to share that wonderful blessing with Minho.

"Thank you."

Junmyeon sat on the ground and put both of his hands back on Sehun.

He remembered the day when Jinki had been chosen for Kibum, and when he had to see Kyungsoo getting picked up for Jongin. He remembered the awe and slight jealousy of those moments, how he had envied his friends for the honor that graced them. He remembered how the two fairies had tried to explain to him that indescribable feeling that invaded them at the first sight of their nymphs. And he realized he would never be able to say with words of any language he knew, how genuinely happy he felt, sitting there on that cold ground next to Baekhyun, caressing the soft stone of Sehun's skin.

He felt bigger than he had ever experienced in his life, he felt important, he felt like a thousand flowers were blooming inside his chest, like he had flown so high he couldn't feel his wings anymore and he was resting on a cloud.

"I will take care of you, Sehun," he said softly to his nymph, "so nothing will ever hurt you."

 

 

Jongdae let out a long, tired sigh, as his eyes got lost in the grey sky. He was laying on his stomach, his head turned to the big window on his right, his fingers playing with the soft silk cloth under him. He wasn't exactly comfortable, and his neck was hurting him a bit from being turned that way, but the elf nurse had asked him not to move, as to not damage his wings even more. They had given him some sort of syrup, a bit too bitter for his taste, so that he wouldn't be in pain. And now, he had been told to wait, until it was safe for him to be transported back to Hazelbarrow.

At least, he had been allowed to rest in Minho's office, so that he wouldn't be bothered by the incessant noises and comings and goings in the castle's infirmary, or the city's hospital. But now, he was bored. He was incredibly bored. No one was coming in there to entertain him, and when he had tried to reach Junmyeon through their telepathic link, his friend had answered that he wasn't able to come for now. He hadn't even given him any explanation, just a plain, cold refusal that had made Jongdae pout.

That's all he had gotten for trying to help. It really was so unfair.

A deep frown formed on his forehead as he felt bitterness swallow up his heart. Why did he even let himself end up in a situation like this? What happened to the Jongdae who never wanted to study and only wanted to play with his fairy friends and Jongin? It was completely baffling. Such a terrible misfortune wouldn't have happened to him if he had left Melalhil, all those weeks ago. If that annoying Lord Baekhyun hadn't hinted that something important was going to happen to him here.

He huffed. Nothing important had happened to him yet and now he was injured and bored.

"Little one?"

Jongdae jumped at the sudden voice near him, and tried to cradle his neck, turning his face around to see who went into Minho's office. His heart was beating loudly inside his chest and he blamed it on the sudden surprise, instead of the fact that he already knew who was there. He knew that voice, he knew that scent. There was only one elf using such a nickname with him.

Jongdae blinked a few times as Minseok appeared in front of him. The elf came closer, squatting as he gave the fairy a soft smile.

Minseok pulled a chair to him and sat to stay at Jongdae's eyes level as the fairy slowly turned back into his initial position.

"Hi Minseok."

Minseok held out his arm but stopped himself before he could lay one finger on Jongdae. The fairy was so tiny; he didn't want to hurt him by touching him at the wrong place.

"Why are you there?" Jongdae asked. His pout and frown had disappeared from his face. "Minho is not there."

Minseok tilted his head. He still brushed the fairy's hair with one careful finger.

"I came to see you. I heard a fairy got injured. I actually-... I hoped it wouldn't be you. How are you?"

Jongdae stayed silent for a whole minute, his eyes slowly growing bigger.

"Oh," he finally mouthed.

"You were supposed to take good care of yourself," Minseok continued, with a fake ton of reproach. "This was supposed to be your apology, and you didn't grant me my wish. What can you say for your defense?"

Jongdae felt a sudden heat warm up his cheeks. He blamed it on shame.

"I'm sorry," he hiccuped.

The playful resentment on Minseok's face faded, replaced by a gentle, worried smile.

"How bad is it? Does it hurt?"

Jongdae shook his head a bit.

"One elf gave Jongdae medi-.. medication," he blabbered in his broken elvish. "It does not hurt more. I must wait."

"Wait what?"

"Minho. I must go back to Hazelbarrow and see a fairy doctor. But I cannot fly. Minho will bring me to Hazelbarrow. It is too long for Jongdae to walk."

Minseok nodded with a soft sigh.

"So, you hurt your wings..."

"It is a bit twisted."

"I suppose I can't take you to Hazelbarrow myself, can I?"

Jongdae bit his lips. His eyebrows were twitching as he felt very strange, bouncing feelings in his stomach. He didn't know what he could blame them on.

"Minseok is not allowed in Hazelbarrow," he admitted.

The elf didn't even know the way to the fairy village. Jongdae wasn't even sure to remember the path for any creatures bigger than himself. And even if they somehow made it, the High Fairies would be very upset with him for bringing an elf they would call random into their village. It was all a very bad idea.

"Captain Choi still hasn't returned downtown," Minseok breathed out. "Will you be okay waiting for him? I could-... I could go fetch him. I'll tell him it's urgent."

Jongdae blinked in surprise when he saw Minseok suddenly raise on his feet, and his heart started racing.

"Minseok!"

The elf halted, coming back to Jongdae to look at him with worried eyes.

"Yes?"

"Don't go," Jongdae pouted.

Minseok stayed motionless for a couple of seconds, before he finally went back to sit in front of the injured fairy.

"It does not hurt more," Jongdae repeated. "I can wait. Can you stay?"

"Of course, I'll stay. Do you need anything?"

"I am bored."

Minseok let out a small laugh at that whine.

"What should we do then?"

His smile grew even larger when he noticed Jongdae squirming closer to the edge of the desk he was laying on, closer to him.

"Talk to Jongdae," the fairy demanded.

"What do you want to hear about?"

"I want hear Minseok speak faerish," Jongdae chirped with a mischievous smirk.

Minseok winced at that, and he looked over the fairy with a contrite face.

"I'm sorry, I can't do that. I can't even understand faerish."

"I learn elvish, so Minseok should learn faerish better," Jongdae insisted with a whining voice.

"I tried already... But I don't think I actually can."

Jongdae made a face at him, he scrunched his nose and pulled out his tongue.

"Jongdae will teach. If you speak faerish, I will take better care of me."

Minseok raised one of his eyebrows, surprised at how stubborn Jongdae was being all of a sudden. And he was getting blackmailed on top of that. In the sweetest possible way, but still.

"So what...," Minseok snorted. "If I can't speak faerish you will hurt yourself on purpose?"

"No," Jongdae sing-songed, "I will scream in faerish all the nights in your garden until you understand."

Minseok suddenly burst out laughing, and it made Jongdae smile in turn.

"You really are something!" Minseok said.

"So will you? When Jongdae is better and comes back here... You learn faerish with me?"

Minseok calmed down again and glanced at the hopeful face the fairy was giving him. He really couldn't explain how, why or when he started to care so much about that little thing. Jongdae was rude most of the time, more capricious than any child Minseok had ever encountered, and completely nuts on top of that. Maybe it was because of all that noise the tiny fairy was always making. It brought colors and amusement in Minseok's too quiet life.

"I will," Minseok solemnly breathed out. "When you'll be healed, come get me, okay?"

Jongdae grinned at him and his eyes creased into little crescents. He wiggled a bit and held out his palm to Minseok. The elf pressed his index against the fairy's hand, in a silent promise.

"Okay," Jongdae cheered.

 

 

Taemin couldn't move. A thousand different thoughts assaulted his brain before he even opened his eyes. He was lost under too many sensations, each more delicious than the other. He was warm, and comfortable. Something both soft and heavy was keeping him against the mellow mattress. And there was the most enchanting perfume everywhere around him. A faint scent of wild flowers.

His maid probably had brought a new flower bouquet in his room, but all he could think about was Jongin. He smiled as he tried to shift again in his bed. Thinking about his nymph first thing in the morning was enough to make him light-headed and happy for the whole day.

When he finally blinked his eyes open, frowning as he wondered what made it impossible for him to turn around, his heart bolted in his chest. He squinted, his cheeks growing red before he could even comprehend what was happening. The memories of the day before slowly came back to him as he glanced at Jongin's sleeping face. The nymph was draped over him, his head resting on the pillow right next to Taemin's. He was still in deep slumber, his pretty eyes closed and his lips barely parted.

Jongin's grey hair was spread out on the pillow, and Taemin caught sight of a few petals laying around his head and on his ear. Without even thinking about it, Taemin reached out, his fingers caressing Jongin's cheek, up to his temple, and all the way to his neck. The nymph's skin seemed even smoother than usual, even warmer. Taemin couldn't help but smile, his eyes still blinking sleepily as he locked his arms around Jongin's waist. He was slowly waking up, becoming aware of every part of the nymph's body touching his. There was one of Jongin's foot pressed against his calf, and one of his leg sprawled over Taemin's thighs. He could feel the nymph's soft breathing by the way his chest lazily moved against his ribs.

Taemin bit his lips, bringing one of his hand back to over Jongin's jaw line again. His fingers stopped right under the nymph's bottom lip and for a moment, the thought of kissing him overwhelmed him completely. It made him gasp.

Jongin stirred in his arms and let out a little snore. Taemin tried to contain his laugh as he watched with all the tenderness he had within himself, how Jongin moved his lips, as if he was chewing on something.

Taemin's hands brushed over the nymph's skin, caressing his shoulders and back. He hadn't exactly thought about it. He expected his hand to be stopped at some point, by roots. Jongin always had roots, tangled around his waist as some kind of clothes. But strangely, Taemin realized that he couldn't feel any root poking against his own waist, and that made him freeze. He was suddenly very aware of the skin under the palm of his hand. He gulped, feeling his heart go completely crazy in his chest as he moved his fingers just a bit more. Just enough to realize he was groping Jongin's .

Taemin abruptly brought his hand back to Jongin's shoulder, knowing his cheeks had to be tainted a deep shade of red. He choked on thin air, too tired to tell if he should feel ashamed or not. Jongin squirmed a bit more and Taemin closed his eyes as he tried to not think about certain parts of the nymph's body squeezing against him.

He felt immensely stupid for his own reaction. Even more stupid for thinking that Jongin would actually sleep with roots around himself. It just had to be incredibly uncomfortable.

"Taemin..."

At the sound of Jongin's sleepy purr, Taemin opened his eyes again. The nymph was looking at him with half-lidded eyes, a drowsy smile dancing on his lips.

"Good morning," Taemin whispered in a shaky breath.

Jongin blinked lazily and cuddled his elf closer with a happy hum. Taemin felt himself get trapped in that embrace, torn between his want to snuggle his nymph back and his need to take some distance from the inappropriate thoughts still invading his mind.

Then, he remembered. Last night, and this morning, were a little dream that happened by some precious coincidences. He had no idea when he would ever be able to wake up with Jongin in his arms again. So he pushed away the slight torments of his mind and hugged his lover. They rolled over a little bit, enough for Taemin to hide his face in his nymph's neck and make him laugh.

"You sleep goo-d?" Jongin asked in a hoarse voice.

Taemin shivered when he felt the tip of Jongin's fingers sneak under his shirt to brush over his waist.

"Yes. Better than ever... and you?"

"I too. Very, very, very, very good."

Taemin smiled, and Jongin felt it against his neck.

He knew the storm had ended. He knew Taemin had to go back to his castle. Still he hoped that suddenly, the wind would start howling again. He hoped he could steal some more precious minutes with his prince before all those awful elves took him back to keep him all to themselves.

Maybe they could at least stay like this a bit more. The sun wasn't that high in the sky, the day was so young. Maybe everybody in the castle was still asleep. Maybe Taemin could stay here and then tell Junmyeon he simply slept a lot because he was very tired.

For a moment, Jongin felt like his heart was sinking into deep, cold water. It was so difficult to let go of Taemin. He couldn't imagine it not being so incredibly upsetting, and the thought that he would always have to let go of him, every time they would meet now and forever, made him feel hopeless.

Then, Taemin perked up and pressed his nose against Jongin's, efficiently erasing each and every sad thought from the nymph's mind.

"Nini?"
"Yes?"

"I was wondering...," Taemin murmured, as his eyes locked with Jongin's. "I'm always the one calling you. Is there a way for you to call me?"

Jongin scrunched his nose and pouted a bit. And Taemin realized his words might have been too vague, so early in the morning.

"I call you when I want to see you," he explained further. "Maybe you can call me when you want to see me? Is this possible?"

Jongin looked a bit puzzled at that, and for a moment, Taemin thought he still hadn't made himself clear. But then Jongin frowned, as if the answer was so evident he couldn't believe Taemin would even bring this up.

"I alway' want see you..."

His sulky answer made Taemin's heart flutter. He found it very difficult to remember how to talk after that.

"Oh," he stuttered. "Well, I-... I always want to see you too but-... I mean I would always be with you, if I could. It's just-..."

Jongin's pout deepened even more as he squirmed to press his hand against Taemin's mouth.

"I don't undertan'," he complained. "Too much word."

Taemin sighed, smiling under his nymph's fingers.

"Sorry."

"You are bu-sy," Jongin yawned. "I am not bu-sy. So you call I when you are not bu-sy. It is good."

Taemin nodded slowly. He knew that already. He knew it was more convenient that way, because Taemin had much more responsibilities and duties than Jongin. But still he couldn't help feeling a bit guilty. Jongin always came in a hurry whenever he called, without complaining. And Taemin couldn't shake away that insidious sensation that it was too decisive and controlling on the nymph. Making Jongin wait for him all the time felt wrong, too one-sided, too imposing.

Taemin's eyes softened as he looked up at Jongin with a sheepish smile.

"Sometimes I want to be with you so deeply that I feel like I can't breathe. I can't breathe until I see you smile at me."

Jongin felt his throat tighten. He knew that ache very well, when even Kyungsoo couldn't draw a smile out of him because he hadn't see Taemin in too many days and the whole forest looked dull to his eyes.

"I too. Some-time'."

Taemin's eyes left Jongin's, to look down at his mouth.

"When you feel like you can't breathe, please call me. Even if I'm busy, I'll come to you. I'll find a way."

Jongin stayed silent, and rolled back over Taemin to hold him tightly.

"Okay," he promised in a small voice muffled against Taemin's shoulder.

They could feel each other's rapid heartbeats with the way their chest were pressed together, and they stopped talking. They remained locked in a narrow hug, only moving their hands in soft caresses as they relished in their last moments before their inevitable parting.

Taemin turned his head to not see the way the ceiling brightened slowly with the daylight invading the room. He hid his face, eyes closed, in Jongin's hair. He could feel culpability gradually crawl inside his chest as he knew Jonghyun had to be waiting for him.

"You hav'-to go," Jongin finally murmured sadly.

"Yes."

"Thank you for stay. I love sleep with you."

Taemin let out a little laugh as he cupped Jongin's face to give him a mischievous smile.

"I recall you didn't really give me a choice."

Jongin answered his cheeky expression with a smirk.

"I only protec' Taemin."

"Sure, you do."

Jongin pulled out his tongue, much to Taemin's surprise, before he straightened up, sitting on the bed.

"You want eat befor' you go? And tea?"

Taemin stretched under the bedsheets, and pondered about it only for a few seconds.

"That'd be a good idea, yes."

He wasn't sure that anything would be waiting for him at the castle. And it was such a good excuse to steal a few more minutes with Jongin.

Jongin put the covers away and suddenly got up, trotting away to the table. Any rational thought, any debate about pros and cons, disappeared from Taemin's mind as his eyes fell by themselves on the nymph's tanned and jiggly .

That was a tiny detail he had somehow managed to forget, and he chastised himself for such a slip. Now his eyes just wouldn't listen to him and look somewhere else, even as he felt his cheeks blush like he had a fever. He still wasn't entirely comfortable with Jongin's usual attire, and the loss of the one and only thing resembling a garment on his nymph's body was disruptive.

Jongin summoned some food that Taemin payed no attention to, and turned to him. By some kind of miracle, Taemin managed to look up before the nymph was completely facing him and he congratulated himself on such good reflexes.

"Taemin? How-ar' you?" Jongin inquired with worried eyes and a tilt of his head.

The elf coughed loudly and wished he could just stop blinking so awkwardly. It would also help if his cheeks could cool down a bit.

"I'm fine...," he croaked.

Jongin looked at him, a bit wary, but then nodded, and sat on the ground in front of his cup of tea. So innocently. And still not putting his roots back around his waist. Damn him. It wasn't so difficult to figure out that nymphs probably hadn't the same consciousness to as elves. Jongin wasn't bashful, nor shy; it was most likely very natural for him to be . Taemin had often wondered if he found it weird to see elves wear clothes.

Taemin finally came to sit next to him, sipping on his tea, while Jongin started to tell him about the dream he had last night. Now that he was a bit more awake, the nymph apparently couldn't stop babbling. From what Taemin understood, Jongin had dreamed of him and they had been living inside of a flower and they were tinier than fairies. Then the elf prince, namely Jonghyun, had decided he wouldn't marry Taemin because he was too small for him, and so Taemin could stay with Jongin, and everything was apparently very nice. It made Taemin laugh and almost choke on his soft bread.

When they reluctantly left the house, Jongin got tensed. He was frowning, and Taemin wondered if it was because they were about to separate, or because of the thickness of the air. Taemin could sense the magic around like never before; it felt heavy on his shoulders as he walked around. But they didn't talk about it. Jongin took his hand and intertwined their fingers, leading him towards the familiar hill.

Words seemed unnecessary at that moment. As much as he loved Taemin's voice, Jongin wanted to only focus on the sensation of having him nearby. He wanted to only listen to what Taemin was telling him when he wasn't talking elvish; the way his body moved, how he was breathing, his very presence in Jongin's field of perception.

The hill gave them a path quite far from the castle. He wasn't complaining in the least, because it gave him a few more minutes around Taemin, but he found it quite odd.

Still when they reached the distant borders of the castle, Jongin wished it had taken more time. Taemin came to a halt and squeezed his hand tighter.

"I'll come back to you soon. I promise," he said.

Jongin pinched his lips and came closer to hug him. He inhaled deeply the scent of Taemin's hair and waited for his elf to back away because it was beyond his strength.

"Thank you for everything. For protecting me and for all the cuddles," Taemin murmured with a shaky little laugh.

Jongin knew that Taemin wanted to lighten the mood, but he tightened his embrace without a word.

"Nini? Are you okay?" Taemin continued in a worried voice.

"Taemin," Jongin whined, "I can not brea-the."

Taemin moved back just enough to cup Jongin's face in his hands. He lowered the nymph's chin and pressed his lips on his forehead in a chaste kiss. Jongin gasped, his eyes widening at the gesture. And Taemin had to bit his bottom lip to suppress a giggle as he saw two flowers spurt out in the nymph's hair.

"You'll go back to your tree, and see your friends, and make sure they're okay after the storm," Taemin said softly. "And then, I'll call you very soon. So soon you'll think I never left."

Jongin had a dubious pout at that, but he loosened his hold.

"Please, don't be sad. I'm so sorry."

Jongin looked into Taemin's eyes, and noticed the sorrow in them. Still his elf was doing all he could to comfort him, and he realized he was making things harder for both of them. That's when he remembered that being around Taemin was worth all the wait and longing.

Jongin leaned in and left a clumsy little peck on Taemin's forehead.

"I wait."

Taemin put his hands on his cheeks to hide the blush that he was sure was invading his face. He smiled at Jongin, and let go of his hand to turn away. He tried not to think about how heavy his heart felt inside his chest.

"Taemin?"

Jongin's voice was unsure, wavering in the air. Taemin looked back with eyes that he hoped didn't seem too sad.

"Yes?"

"I love you."

The smile that bloomed on Taemin's face made another flower appear next to Jongin's ear.

"I love you too."

.

.

.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Hi!

Dears... I've been waiting so long to introduce Sehun to this story, I was whining all the time to my bêta-reader about how I wanted him here already. I'm so happy my baby nymph is finally 'here'! (... or almost) What did you think about it? Did you like this chapter?

It was a bit late, once again, because of my tendinitis & my vacations. But I'm back & I got medication so I'm gonna work hard to get back to my previous publication deadlines (namely : posting every two weeks).

As usual, don't hesitate to leave me a comment with your thoughts or wishes or theories. I'm sorry I didn't answer your comments on the previous chapter, I've been saving my ability to type for this chapter. I'll do better now.

Thank you, always & forever, for your support. I hope you enjoyed that little time in our forest.

See you soon.