It feels like a dream

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 23 : (I didn’t know this day would come) It feels like a dream

.

It felt like he was caught up in a whirlwind. Someone grabbed his hand as he walked close to a tree, and before Taemin could see or understand anything, he was being pulled backward. He blinked, disoriented, and seemed to waltz around before he felt a hand land on his lower back, keeping him steady.

He perked up, frowning a bit at the sudden assault on his person, and his expression softened when he met the mischievous and tender smile of Jonghyun.

"What are you doing?" Taemin asked in a light laugh.

He tried to step back, but Jonghyun held him more tightly against his chest.

"I'm stealing you away from your duties. I don't care about the witnesses," Jonghyun teased.

Taemin's eyes widened in surprise before he dared to glance around curiously, only to meet the inquisitive and amused looks of the few elves nearby. He couldn't help but feel a little shy under their prying eyes and he scouted closer to Jonghyun, hiding his face.

"Are you showing us off on purpose?"

Jonghyun laughed in his ear.

"Maybe. Also because it's funny to see you embarrassed."

Taemin pleated his eyes and pinched his ribs, smirking as he saw Jonghyun jump and whine.

"I'm glad Jongin isn't here to see us. He wouldn't be happy with you," Taemin simpered.

"Oh, he'd be jealous?" Jonghyun snickered, wiggling his eyebrows.

"I'm pretty sure he would be sulking. He's a pouty spirit," Taemin answered with a fond smile.

Jonghyun loosened his hold on Taemin, giving him a humble little bow of his head.

"Far be it from me to upset your lover," Jonghyun sing-songed. "Speaking of whom, would you like to getaway from Melalhil and spend the remaining of your afternoon with him?"

Taemin's mouth opened in surprise, and soon morphed into a large grin.

"Can I?"

"Well, I already told my mother that I wanted to get some time alone with my fiancé. I was kind of hoping that you'd want to see Jongin, otherwise we'll have to endure a whole afternoon of preparations for the wedding," Jonghyun admitted with a dramatic sigh. "Mother already wants everything planned, she's a bit too excited about it. I mean-... if you truly don't want to see your nymph, we could still spend the afternoon together, but if you don't even want to run away to the forest-..."

"I want to see Jongin," Taemin interrupted him immediately in a hiss. "Of course I want to see Jongin!"

Jonghyun gave him a sneaky smirk.

"Wonderful. Not that I don't appreciate your charming presence, but I could use some time alone. In silence. At last."

Taemin wiggled away from Jonghyun's arms and took his hand, turning around to head to the forest.

"Eager, are we?" Jonghyun huffed with a roll of his eyes.

"I miss him," Taemin complained. "I've seen him almost every day for a while and now it's been three days and I feel like I'm going crazy."

Jonghyun shook his head with a light snort, his eyes still looking over Taemin tenderly as he followed him through the gardens and the city's streets. They left Melalhil followed by scrutinizing eyes, and finally started to walk more peacefully once they sank into the forest. Taemin's steps were joyful and impatient, and Jonghyun looked at him waltzing away.

"I trust you to be careful not to be seen," Jonghyun mused aloud, "as always."

Taemin turned to him with a little nod and a mischievous smile.

"I promise. We always stay hidden inside our lovely house."

Jonghyun seemed surprised by that, but he did his best not to ask more questions. Instead, he halted his steps, looking around them as they arrived not so far away from the river's docks.

"Do you think you could find that place back easily?"

"What, here?" Taemin asked, tilting his head as he glanced at the trees behind them.

"Yes, it could be our meeting spot, later on. We'll have to come back together... a bit after nightfall, maybe?"

Taemin nodded, grinning widely at him.

"It seems perfect. I'm pretty sure I'll manage to come back right here. So, around 19 'o clock?"

Jonghyun agreed, and he felt Taemin's little hand grab his in a quick, tight hold.

"Thank you, for allowing me to see him. Have a nice afternoon," the mountain prince murmured before he stepped back.

Jonghyun kept watching him going away, until Taemin disappeared from his sight as he turned around a tree. The sound of his steps faded, and the forest around Jonghyun went back to its peaceful quietness. He sighed longly, relaxing his shoulders absentmindedly.

He had dreamed about having some time to himself for a few weeks already, as he had been traveling through the whole forest for days, surrounded by his troop. He longed for his sheltered place, hidden away, for a silence only bothered by his own breathing and the soft, muffled sounds of the forest.

His hands came to tie his cloak tighter around his neck and he pulled his hood over his head, as to not be recognized if he were to encounter any creature on his way. Then he resumed his walking, in the opposite direction from the one Taemin just took.

Winter was slowly coming to an end, and he noticed how all traces of snow had finally disappeared, and how all plants and trees seemed to be coming back to life. He always was melancholic to see the cold weather retire, but seeing colors returning to the landscape was a sight he couldn't be sad about. Soon, all the animals would be back, playing in the grass. Soon, the fairies would dare to fly around again. Soon, every corner of the forest would burst with life once more.

Jonghyun walked on paths he knew by heart, climbing over roots and orientating himself through the same trees and rocks he always encountered on his way to his most secret place. But he suddenly found himself immobile, frowning at an unknown shrub, and he looked around, quite surprised. How could he have ended up in such an unfamiliar setting, by following the same roads he always did?

He retraced his steps, nodded as he recognized the intersection marked by the immense willow tree that was leaning a bit to the right, and followed his usual path. Only to find himself starring at that bushy shrub all over again, standing in the middle of that unsettling passage.

"Oh," he complained suddenly. "Why did you have to take away my path?"

He turned an annoyed pout towards the ground, frowning as he shook his head.

"How am I supposed to find my way there, now?"

Jonghyun crossed his arms over his chest, wondering if he should try to walk around and hope to end up where he wanted to go despite the forest acting up on him, or if he should change his plans for the day.

Then a sudden thought occurred to him, and his face fell into sadness.

"Am I not allowed there anymore?" he asked aloud. "There was a spirit, last time... so I can't go back?"

He sighed pitifully and his shoulders slouched. But just as he was about to turn on his heels and head out to another place he hadn't decided on yet, something completely unexpected happened. The forest answered him.

Right before his wide eyes, Jonghyun saw the ground tremble and shift. He gasped and stepped back as a few trees moved away, to reveal a crooked, narrow little trail. It looked a bit eerie, with dust still flying up from the ground, and Jonghyun swallowed with some difficulty. He glanced behind him, and tried to decide if it would be rude not to go on that creepy path, when the forest seemed to have opened it specifically for him.

He determined that it definitely would be impolite, and he couldn't bring himself to leave when something so astounding, albeit uncanny, was happening to him.

"Well," he coughed lightly as to give himself some courage, "thank you."

Tightening his fists, Jonghyun walked through the opening. He heard a rustle and turned around abruptly, only to find himself facing a rock, his previous spot having disappeared. The passage was closed behind him and his heart started to hammer wildly inside his chest.

"You're not interested in making this reassuring, are you?" he called out to the forest.

The road before him was lazily twining between high, large trees, and he couldn't see the end of it. What he previously took for dust was actually a thin mist hovering over the ground, playing around his ankles.

Jonghyun took a long, deep inhale, and came forward. The sound of his steps was resonating around him as he tried to follow the seemingly endless path that unfolded before his eyes. He wondered if the forest had given him a road to his favorite place or if it tried to send him away; this part of the forest was completely unknown to him. He couldn't tell what kind of trees were surrounding him.

As he walked alone, in complete silence, he found his slight fear disappearing slowly and his thoughts went from worried concerns, to peaceful, random memories. At some point, he wondered if he was indeed heading anywhere, but he couldn't find it within himself to worry about it, for the forest did provide him what he needed; a safe space to wander around and relax. He couldn't tell if he had been walking for ten minutes or two hours already, and he didn't particularly mind.

Then, he heard a strange little sound. Something like a gasp, or a heavy breathing. It was soft, small, brief. It echoed all around him, as if bouncing on trees, and Jonghyun halted, looking around with a frown. He opened his mouth, wondering if he should say something, anything, call out whoever was nearby. He heard that strange noise again, and this time, it sounded like a breathy chuckle. Jonghyun felt uneasy chills ran down his spine as he turned around, and his eyes widened when he caught sight of a blue light, dancing around a tree.

"A will-o'-wisp...," he murmured.

The tiny spirit vanished into thin air as soon as Jonghyun spoke, and the elf prince took a step forward without realizing what he was doing. He heard another small gasp and turned again, spotting the little swamps spirit running away. He reappeared once more, a few meters further, and Jonghyun wondered if he should follow him or not. He took two uncertain, slow steps, and the will-o'-wisp emitted those eerie sounds again.

Jonghyun could feel his heart beating so loudly inside his chest that he could hear it in his temples.

"Should I follow you?"

The spirit rolled on the path before him, saying something incomprehensible again, and faded. He popped up further away, and Jonghyun blinked a couple of times, before finally moving towards him. His hands were starting to sweat, despite the cold weather, and his legs were a bit shaky. It suddenly dawned on him, how inconceivable and fascinating his day had turned. Something outlandish was happening to him, and it made a trembling smile bloom on his lips.

As he took another step forward, Jonghyun froze. His whole body went immobile as he heard a peculiar, very familiar melody float in the air. His mouth opened in surprise as his eyebrows furrowed, and his mind struggled for a moment to process what was happening and how he could know the music hummed so gently.

His legs moved on their own, he passed the will-o'-wisp who disappeared once and for all, but Jonghyun couldn't pay him any attention. He seemed in a trance, eyes wide and unfocused, lips trembling as he staggered to a crossing. On his right, he saw a path, going up a high hill. Roughly cut stones were forming something like stairs between trees so dense and thick he couldn't see past them. The way was lighted, but Jonghyun had no idea what could possibly emit such a low, greenish light, and he didn't care. He couldn't care, not when he could still hear the smooth, divine hum of that ghostly voice resonating around.

He hurriedly ascended, suddenly worried that it would all disappear before he could find its source, before he could see, whatever there was to see. In his haste, he stumbled on a rock and almost fell down, but he managed to restrain himself on a tree nearby, and continued to climb up. He felt feverish as he finally managed to reach the end of the stairs, and the sight that welcomed him made him step back, reflexively, and his back bumped against a trunk.

At the top of the hill, was a small pound surrounded by white stones and grass, sheltered by a high, large camphor tree. There, a few meters away from Jonghyun's shaking figure, was a spirit. He was laying on his stomach, on the biggest rock nearby, his folded legs moving swiftly to the melody he was still singing. His head was resting on one of his hand, as the other was drawing patterns at the surface of the pond, making water rise up in the air in the strangest, most beautiful shapes. He was smiling.

There was a thunder of emotions and feelings happening in Jonghyun's whole being, a whirlwind of both intense fervor and absolute calm. He knew that teal hair, those high cheekbones, that pale, glowing skin. The spirit he had seen twice, the one who had been haunting his dreams every night ever since, was there, peacefully humming the song Jonghyun had written a dozen of winters ago.

Completely mesmerized, and without thinking about the consequences of his own actions, moved by the aching, longing feeling that had burned his lungs for weeks already, Jonghyun lowered his hood and took a step forward. As the spirit continued to hum softly, Jonghyun sang with him.

"Dear flower in front of me..."

He saw the spirit hiccup, jump and turn his head with wide, frightened eyes.

"With that deep scent that bewitched me...," Jonghyun whispered to the wind.

Kibum gasped, completely flipping over on his rock, and his fists tightened suddenly.

"You lock me up in the room of eternity, so that I cannot find you, and simply smile your white artful smile..."

Jonghyun let his voice lower softly before he dared to smile at the spirit who was still staring at him in complete disbelief. Then, everything shattered. Jonghyun saw the spirit blink fast, and he seemed to only now realize how terrified he had made him. And Kibum dissolved in thousands droplets that hit the rock he had been laying on in a whiff.

The elf prince felt his heart constrict inside his chest as he watched the scene in horror.

"No... wait," he breathed out in a sob.

He staggered to the pond and fell on his knees, looking at the water only to be met with the lost gaze of his own reflexion.

"What have I done...," he murmured pitifully, his fingers grabbing the stones laying on the shore in tight grips. "Oh no, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I frightened you again..."

He turned to the rock Kibum had been resting on just a few seconds ago, and sighed. What had he been thinking, forcing himself on a spirit this way? The forest had trusted him, it showed him a way, it sent a will-o'-wisp to guide him and blessed him with what might have been the most precious view he would ever witness, and he had ruined it all.

"I'm sorry..."

Kibum snuggled up to the algae deep inside the pond as he turned his face to the surface. He could still hear his prince talking and his pained apologies made the nymph curl up on himself.

Jonghyun was here. His Jonghyun had appeared here, out of nowhere, as he was shamelessly murmuring the melody of that song he once heard the elf sing. This couldn't be happening. Kibum couldn't even understand how Jonghyun got there, in that forsaken, lost place in the forest. His heart was thundering in his chest with a thousand questions of how and why while his mind kept screeching that Jonghyun, his wonderful, gorgeous, perfect prince had seen him and, worst of all, the most important thing, had smiled at him. In his euphoria, it took Kibum a few seconds to realize that Jonghyun had stopped talking and that he couldn't see his face hovering over the water anymore, searching for him.

A sudden panic overtook Kibum. He had no idea what to do with himself. He had been so surprised, his body had acted on its own, vanishing from view in a second. But Jonghyun had apologized, as if he had done something wrong, his voice had sounded so sad, and it suddenly occurred to Kibum that his elf might go away now, afflicted by the guilt of scaring a nymph. This couldn't happen. Kibum couldn't possibly let this happen. Not when he was here alone, with his beloved prince, who just smiled at him moments ago. Everything was too good to be true and he couldn't let it all go to waste.

"But what should I do?" he whined to himself, gripping his head in both of his hands.

Suddenly, he couldn't remember a single word of elvish, and he cursed himself for not studying harder with Minho. Ah, Minho, if only he could be there to help! If only someone, anyone really, could appear to tell Kibum what he should do now. He would even take advices from Jinki, that's how desperate he was.

Swallowing hardly, Kibum went away from the algae and swam back to the surface slowly. He dared to perk his head up out of the pond, just enough to steal a shy glance around. And his heart froze in fright and despair as he noticed the slouched figure of Jonghyun taking slow steps back to the stairs. He was going away. He was leaving, taking away Kibum's heart with him.

The nymph felt his heart soar to his throat as he swam swiftly to the shore and leaned on the rocks. Before he could think more about it, before his fear could find reasons to stop him, he called his elf.

"Prince Jeon-gyun...?"

Jonghyun tripped on his own foot and turned his head so fast he almost wrung his neck. He saw the nymph dive down into water as soon as their eyes met, only to reappear a second later, his cheeks red and eyes wide.

"Yes?" Jonghyun breathed out, dumbfounded.

That small whisper sounded like some attempt at his name and it suddenly occurred to Jonghyun that he might be dreaming. How could all of this truly happen outside of his head?

The spirit closed his eyes for a moment, and bit his lips. Then he sighed.

"Stay...?" he said, in a tentative, timid tone.

Without blinking, for fear that the spirit might disappear once more, Jonghyun nodded.

Kibum let out a small sigh of relief and put his hands on the rock in front of him, hiding his face behind it so only his eyes would be visible to the elf prince. He glanced at him, from his tousled grey hair, to his long, heavy, dark green cloak and his maroon boots.

"Come'," Kibum stammered, moving one hand to motion for Jonghyun to get closer.

Jonghyun didn't realize he was holding his breath as he obeyed, one step after the other, wondering if the spirit would stop him at some point. But he didn't. Jonghyun slowly lowered himself to kneel on the ground, right in front of the water spirit who kept staring at him in obvious awe.

For a moment, the elf prince felt nervousness bubble in his stomach, as he had no idea what to do from there, or what to say; still he couldn't look away from the hypnotizing eyes of the spirit in front of him.

"Are you a nymph?" Jonghyun heard himself ask in a breathless voice.

Kibum tried to articulate some coherent answer, but his voice has vanished somewhere, along with his ability to think, and he nodded shyly, feeling his cheeks redden with shame.

Jonghyun smiled gently at him and his eyes became so soft and tender that it took all the strength Kibum had within himself not to melt into water again.

"But you understand elvish...," Jonghyun murmured.

Kibum nodded again, his chin sinking into the water with each of his move.

"… and you know who I am."

Kibum finally looked away, staring at his hands still resting on the stone in front of him.

"Yell," he murmured.

Jonghyun frowned at that and tilted his head a bit. He saw the spirit suddenly perk up and blush terribly.

"Ah... yes, yes...," Kibum stuttered.

It was so difficult to remember the simplest elvish words when his prince was so close to him, glancing at him so fondly and kindly.

Still, at the same time, having Jonghyun that close to him was appeasing. His aura was relaxing, incredibly calming; it was Kibum's favorite thing about him.

"What's your name?" Jonghyun asked, ever so softly. "If that's alright... you don't have to-...."

He was interrupted by the spirit's tiny voice before he could voice any apology.

"Kibum."

The smile that graced Jonghyun's features made Kibum feel boneless.

"Kibum," the elf prince repeated, "that's lovely."

Kibum smiled at the compliment, happy that his name was deemed nice by the elf he had fallen desperately in love with, so long ago. He had seen Jonghyun plenty of times from afar, but having the prince so close to him was making him dizzy with euphoria. Everything about Jonghyun was even more wonderful than he always thought. His eyes were a thousand times more beautiful from such a small distance, his plump lips were perfect, his hair looked even fluffier and Kibum couldn't contain all the excitement he felt. It was unbelievable that Jonghyun could be even more gorgeous than he ever thought, when he always held the elf in such high opinions.

"You're even prettier from so close," Kibum whispered absentmindedly as he straightened up right under Jonghyun's nose.

He saw his prince blush, and if Jonghyun couldn't have understood nor heard what he just said in spirit's language, their sudden close proximity made him shy. Kibum himself seemed to only now realize what he had done and said, and widened his eyes impossibly before he dissolved into water all over again.

"Oh," Jonghyun breathed out. "Wait... please... What did I do?"

Kibum swam to the bottom of the pond and put his hands on his cheeks, shaking his head quickly a few times to try to recover some common sense. It wasn't time to be awkward and clumsy, really.

"I won't hurt you, I promise," came Jonghyun's worried voice from above. "Did I upset you?"

Kibum squirmed on his spot before he quickly went back to the surface, sprinkling water all over Jonghyun's face in the process. He let out a tiny noise of consternation and embarrassment that soon died down his throat as he heard Jonghyun chuckle. The elf wiped his face with one hand, apparently far from mad at him, and his eyes were shining with cheerfulness when he looked at Kibum again.

"Sorry," the nymph muttered sheepishly.

"Don't worry about it," Jonghyun said with a smile.

Kibum offered him a shy smile in return and Jonghyun tried to tame down his heart. He saw the nymph suddenly tilt his head at him, with a concerned little crease on his forehead.

"Why is you... are you... 'ere, with Kibum?" the nymph struggled to articulate. "You are lost?"

If Jonghyun was lost, Kibum would show him the way back to the castle. He knew it by heart now. Maybe he would take a small deviation to stay with Jonghyun a bit more, but he couldn't possibly let his precious elf wander around, alone and confused, in the immensity of their forest.

Kibum was staring at him, troubled, and Jonghyun shook his head slightly. The nymph's eyes were moving so fast, as he kept detailing every single detail on his face, it was a bit overwhelming.

"No, I was just out for a walk," Jonghyun explained. "The forest showed me a way; it was quite unexpected. Then I heard you singing..."

"Oh," Kibum mouthed. "I hear you sing... I sing it too."

Jonghyun's face softened even more, he looked at him with such a caring expression that Kibum heard himself sigh.

"Yes, I sang it, that night... When I first saw you. You remembered it from there? You sang it so well."

Jonghyun was using complicated words and Kibum wasn't sure that he was actually understanding everything, but he didn't dare to say it. That would be too embarrassing.

"I don't know elvish word," Kibum confessed, "to sing it. I ask fairy, but fairy don't know it."

Kibum put his elbows on the surface of the water, and laid his face in his hands with a slight pout. It was such a sight to behold, Jonghyun couldn't help his chuckle.

"You really liked my song so much?"

"Yes," Kibum immediately answered.

Jonghyun gave him a mischievous smile, full of pride and happiness.

"Nobody knows the lyrics but me, because I wrote it. You're the only person who ever heard it."

Kibum's jaw fell open as he tried to connect all those words together to make sure he didn't misinterpret those very, very important sentences.

"Other don't know it?"

Jonghyun shook his head slightly.

"No, just you and me."

Somehow, hearing those words, out of the whole situation, made Kibum combust of shyness and a heavy mist suddenly puffed out of him. Not only did Jonghyun sang with the most beautiful voice Kibum had ever heard, but he was actually writing songs on top of that. And now, Kibum was the only being in the whole forest, apparently, who had ever heard that specific, beautiful song from him. It was all a bit too much for the nymph's small heart, already so swollen with love.

"Kibum? Are you okay?"

Jonghyun waved his hand in front of his face, trying to dissipate the faint mist that prevented him from looking at the nymph, only to find the spirit with blushed cheeks and shiny eyes. And he gasped in surprise. Kibum's eyes were brightening, in a way that the elf couldn't even comprehend. The pupils that were once of a dark blue, twinkling with black sparkles, were now of a bright, almost transparent mix of blue and grey. It made Kibum's whole face seem ethereal and ghostly. His skin seemed to radiate a faint bluish glow and Jonghyun found himself unable to breathe. If Kibum were to dive into the water right this instant, Jonghyun would follow him. He would swim and drown in deep waters, to chase after those eyes.

"You're breathtaking," Jonghyun whispered, barely louder than the thunderous beats of his heart.

He saw Kibum blink slowly, and then frown in apparent concern.

The nymph wasn't sure about that word. It was new to him, but it didn't sound that good. Jonghyun's voice was so tiny, and apparently he had trouble breathing. Was he sick? Was he unwell? Was he about to faint right before Kibum's eyes?

Kibum came even closer, an alarmed expression painted over his face.

"What I do?" he asked urgently. "You need breathe?"

Before Jonghyun could understand the problem and see his mistake, he saw Kibum blow to his face and a sudden gust of wind hit him, making him stumble on his behind.

"Ow," he exclaimed.

"Are you okay?" Kibum inquired immediately. "You breathe?"

Jonghyun burst out laughing and covered his mouth with one hand. Kibum crawled out of his pond to come closer, glancing at him from head to toes with a pout.

"Jeon-gyun? You are okay?" he repeated, clearly worried about him.

"Yes, yes I am," Jonghyun sighed.

Kibum nodded, a contented smile on his face, and the elf wondered if he thought he had just saved his life or something.

"Breathtaking is a difficult word, isn't it?"

"You don't breathe again?" Kibum whined.

Kibum was sitting on the ground, right next to him, his thin legs folded under himself, and Jonghyun's fingers itched with the will to pinch his cheeks.

"Breathtaking doesn't mean that I can't breathe," Jonghyun tried to explain. "I meant to say that you are magnificent."

Kibum frowned again. He glanced at the ground and pinched his lips. It was embarrassing to realize he had misunderstood something. Even more if he had to admit that he still had no idea what his prince was talking about. What a bother. All those lessons with Minho had been useless!

"Ma-... magni-... I don't know," Kibum sighed pitifully, not wanting to get even more mortified by any other confusion.

"Oh," Jonghyun stuttered, as he scratched his forehead in anxiety. "I'm sorry. I'm using bad words."

"Yes," Kibum complained.

Unable to stop himself, Jonghyun reached out, bringing one of his fingers under Kibum's chin as he lifted his face enough for their eyes to meet again. Kibum's eyes widened at the touch, and he didn't dare to move an inch.

"I'm sorry," Jonghyun said once more. "You are extremely beautiful."

Kibum had to bit his lips tightly to keep himself from letting out a screech. And Jonghyun could witness once more, right before him, how the nymph's eyes went from dark to crystalline. He didn't notice how the pond started to shine as well with a myriad of light blue sparkles exploding everywhere, as he was far too busy watching Kibum's cheeks grow pink.

"I saw you twice," Jonghyun mused, "do you remember the second time too?"

Kibum nodded weakly. Of course he remembered those two blessed days when Jonghyun had looked at him, amongst the hundreds of days when he had been looking at his prince. How could he ever forget them?

"I've wanted to see you again ever since," Jonghyun confessed. "I was always thinking about you. Days and nights."

Kibum wasn't sure how much more he could take and he moved his head back to hide his face behind his hands.

"Thank you, for letting me see you once more," Jonghyun continued.

Kibum scrunched his nose and looked at his elf prince through his fingers, before he let his hands drop to his thighs and wiggled his whole body on the ground.

"You want see me?"

His tone was a bit whiny and flustered and he saw Jonghyun scouting closer.

"Yes, I do. But if you don't-..."

"I see you often," Kibum interrupted him with a pout, and Jonghyun straightened up, dumbfounded. "But you never see me. I am shy."

It was baffling, and a tiny bit hilarious, to hear this nymph blurt out that he was timid, and Jonghyun barely contained his laugh.

"Oh, are you?"

Kibum nodded energetically with a hum.

"You feel shy with me?"

Kibum nodded a couple of times more.

"I feel shy with you too. Maybe it can't be helped."

Kibum shrugged and brought his legs against his chest, circling them with his arms as he cowered before Jonghyun. His elf prince was hesitant and self-conscious surely because he met a spirit. But Kibum was nervous because he was in love, and that was something else, entirely. He couldn't even look into Jonghyun's eyes for too long, it was too overwhelming.

"Why you want see me?" Kibum asked, his toes curling under his feet.

He stole a side glance to Jonghyun and saw him looking right back at him.

"You've been so kind to me," Jonghyun answered. "I wanted to thank you."

"Kind? I?" Kibum repeated, puzzled.

Jonghyun held out his hand, letting his fingers hover over Kibum's hair for a second. As the nymph didn't move or asked him to stop, he slowly brushed his fingers in the soft, wet strands of teal hair. It was unsettling, how febrile he felt as he looked at the nymph, yet how natural it was to sit next to him.

"Every time I see you, it's when I'm feeling lonely, and rather sad. Seeing you makes me feel better, happier."

Kibum fisted his hands and his mouth fell open.

"I make Jeon-gyun happy?"

"Yes. Very much."

A large, bright grin bloomed on Kibum's face and Jonghyun's hand fell from his hair, his cheek before he brought it back against his own chest.

"Can I make you happy too, in return?"

"You always make I happy."

"Do I?" Jonghyun hiccuped, his tone a bit more acute than usual.

He wondered what the nymph truly meant by that. But before he could ask, Kibum nodded, shamelessly, and sighed.

"But if you sing, I will be very very very happy."

If it all was a dream, Jonghyun secretly wished to never wake up.

"What should I sing?"

"You and I song," Kibum answered immediately.

"Of course," Jonghyun smiled happily.

And so, he sang. He didn't notice the sky darkening above them, he didn't pay any attention to it. Kibum was smiling so brightly he was glowing, and soon, as Jonghyun's voice became stronger, the nymph blew wind to the pond. Droplets of water started to rise, forming shapes as they twirled around them. They shone brightly with thousands of sparkles of blue light as Kibum's eyes brightened once more.

When his song ended, Jonghyun carried on with another one he wrote just a few weeks ago. And Kibum came closer, his whole body swaying softly with the melody of Jonghyun's voice.

Every time his voice would soften, the nymph shyly asked for one more. Just one more. And Jonghyun found himself unable to say no; he didn't want to. The songs he had always kept hidden, the words he had never dared to share, spilled from his lips one after the other, and Kibum was gathering them all up like they were the most precious things he ever heard. It became a bit difficult to sing, when his heart was so swollen with happiness and gratitude, but Jonghyun didn't stop.

"You sing so beautiful," Kibum sighed.

"Thank you."

The nymph tilted his head to the side, fluttering his eyelashes at him innocently as he simpered.

"One again?"

Jonghyun was about to give in, when he finally noticed how dark the forest had become, and it suddenly occurred to him that he was waited, somewhere. He jumped a bit, surprising Kibum in turn.

"Oh dear, wait-... I can't."

The nymph pouted and crawled closer.

"Why?"

"Taemin...," Jonghyun blurted, hitting his forehead with his palm before he looked at the sky.

It had to be past 19 o' clock already. He had completely forgotten about their meeting. Jonghyun hoped that Taemin had been busy with his nymph lover as well, and that his fiancé hadn't been waiting on him for too long already.

Kibum's face fell at the mention of that name he was trying so hard not to loathe.

"Kibum, I'm very sorry. It's so late already, I have to go."

"I know," Kibum shrugged pitifully. "You are prince. You must go."

He felt Jonghyun's hands cupping his face and a blush immediately crept up his cheeks.

"Jeon-gyun?" he croaked.

"Thank you so much, for today," Jonghyun murmured, his face far too close to Kibum's for the nymph's comfort.

Kibum nodded, his throat tight with emotions, and he felt his heart break when the elf stepped back to get up.

"Wait," Kibum blurted, standing as well and wiggling from one foot to the other. "I come? I light... for you."

Under Jonghyun's confused gaze, Kibum wiggled his fingers to the pond, and a hundred little drops of water rose once more, shining magically as they surrounded them.

"Can I?" Kibum inquired anxiously.

He didn't want to part yet. It was too sudden, it was too soon, he hadn't looked at Jonghyun quite enough yet. It could never be enough.

"Of course," Jonghyun breathed out. "Thank you so much."

Kibum sighed of relief and a small smile soon came back to dance on his lips as he tugged at Jonghyun's cloak to bring him forward and towards the stairs.

He tried not to take a too long deviation because apparently, Jonghyun really had to be back soon, but he couldn't help his selfish little need of stealing more of his time. His elf prince didn't seem to notice, nor mind, as he followed him through paths he didn't know of. Kibum was humming the songs Jonghyun had sung to him, and the prince couldn't take his eyes off of him.

"Kibum?" he suddenly asked.

"Yes?"

"Will I see you again?"

Kibum stopped walking and twisted his fingers awkwardly. He slowly brought his gaze to Jonghyun's face and shivered when he noticed the intensity with which his elf was looking at him.

"You want?"

"Yes. Yes, of course. Please."

He had told himself he shouldn't beg, that he shouldn't even press the subject, but he hadn't been able to keep quiet, in the end. Jonghyun bit his lips, waiting anxiously as Kibum grinned back at him.

"I come to you. Okay?"

Jonghyun felt a heaviness he hadn't realized had been there, suddenly lift up from his stomach.

"Yes, yes that's good. That's perfect."

They started walking again, and Jonghyun finally noticed the lights of Melalhil shining not so far away from them. They were close to the docks. They had arrived. They would have to part.

"When?" he asked, a bit urgently.

He knew he sounded desperate. The idea to wait weeks again before catching a glimpse of Kibum was unbearable.

"Always," Kibum answered, as if it was obvious. "I always find you."

They heard a rustle behind them and Jonghyun jumped. Kibum came closer and took his wrist, raising it a bit in the air before he brought his other hand up as well and pressed their palms together.

"You have to go," Jonghyun murmured in a pained tone. "Someone might see you."

"Yes, I know."

"Please, come back to me soon."

Kibum laughed lightly at that.

"You don't like wait?" the nymph teased.

They heard footsteps coming towards them and Jonghyun's heart rate was increasing at an alarming rate.

"I will wait as long as you want," Jonghyun confessed hurriedly. "But I'd rather see you soon."

Jonghyun saw the nymph smile at him, so prettily, so softly that he felt like he would melt at his feet. Then, Kibum disappeared.

Jonghyun blinked awkwardly, his mouth open as a slight gush of wind made his hair float around his head.

"Jonghyun?"

In a daze, the elf prince turned, his gaze falling on the disheveled figure of Taemin, his eyebrows furrowed in worry.

"Oh my, there you are," the mountain prince blabbered; but Jonghyun barely heard him. "I'm so sorry I'm late. I swear I tried to come back in time but Jongin-... oh. I'm so sorry. Are you alright?"

Jonghyun sighed heavily, unable to follow Taemin's words.

"Jonghyun?" Taemin sounded worried, but his voice seemed so distant to Jonghyun. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Yes," Jonghyun answered with a faint smile. "Yes, I am."

Taemin blinked a few times, looking at him with concern before he came closer to pat his cheeks.

"What happened to you?"

Jonghyun hummed, and then laughed.

"The most wonderful thing ever."

"Well, get in line," Taemin snorted with a roll of his eyes.

He gripped Jonghyun's arm and drew him towards the castle, huffing and puffing for the forest prince to spill his secrets.

.

.

.

♡♡♡

I am delighted to post the 23rd chapter on the 23rd of September, right for Kibum's birthday. I have waited so long to write this one & I have to admit, I love it immensely. I hope you liked it too. I know the wait has been so long to get some Jongkey... so I cross my fingers that this particular chapter met all your expectations & wishes.

The song referred to as "their" song, that Jonghyun had already been singing the first time they "met" is Diphylleia grayi, in case your forgot.

The title of this chapter are lyrics from Our Season.