The heart of Honeyhills

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 37: The heart of Honeyhills

.

The days had grown longer and as they had been traveling through the forest, Taemin couldn't help but fall in love with every corner of it a little more each day.

He fell even more deeply for Jongin as well and didn't grow tired of looking at the nymph all day, watching how the morning light always made him look more ethereal, how his skin and eyes shone brighter than ever at noon, how the moon's glow at night somehow made Jongin's eyelashes seem longer and his smile seem more mischievous. Taemin fervently collected in his mind each memory they created together to be able to revisit them later in times of need when he would miss the warmth of Jongin's presence more than anything.

They had gone through several enchanting places with Jonghyun and Kibum. The two nymphs had brought the princes to the swamps; a place Taemin definitely would have never thought he would love so much. They went through valleys and lakes, hills and meadows, sleeping in enchanted caves or under the stars; but Taemin and Jongin had still found themselves in the place they called home, lost in Nowhere, more often than not. It was convenient to get privacy -for them as well as for their two friends who stayed behind alone- but most of all, they were attached to the place more than they could ever express it.

Waking up nestled in his nymph's arms, seeing that the flowers decorating his hair didn't fade for days on end, feeling Jongin's plush lips leave small kisses all over his neck; it all made Taemin feel like he was living a daydream.

"Where we go?" Jongin asked softly, his head nuzzled on Taemin's shoulder.

The elf prince straightened his head to look over Tahca walking a little ahead of them, but Jonghyun and Kibum weren't paying attention to them.

"A place called 'Silverwoods Meadow'," Taemin said as he laced their fingers together and brought Jongin's hand to his lips to kiss his palm.

He had no idea where it was exactly and what was there to see; Jonghyun had insisted on keeping it a secret since it was the apotheosis of their trip before they'd slowly make their way back to Melalhil. And Taemin knew that the elven name wouldn't be familiar to the nymph.

Jongin blinked lazily, a soft smile stretching on his lips as he looked up to watch Taemin's profile. His elf was looking everywhere around them in delight. Maybe Jongin could have recognized where they were heading, if only he had paid a little attention to their surroundings; but Taemin's lovely surprise and excitement as they discovered more and more of the forest always won his heart. Even the forest couldn't match such beauty.

Taemin's soft gasp made the nymph's heart completely melt and he finally glanced around to see what caught his lover's attention. He knew instantly where they were, as well as where they were heading.

Birds were chirping in the distance. The wind was carrying the trees' whispers. They were walking to the East and the rising morning sun peaked through the branches just right to make the whole scenery even more magical. Jonghyun had asked that they'd leave right after dawn to make sure they would be where he wanted to bring them before noon. Jongin had been against the idea at first but he was glad not to have won that argument when he saw the look on Taemin's face as his elf saw the sun shine through the large wooden arches building the path of Winderdurn. The trees around them were thin and high, and the ground was covered in red magic lilies, the equinox flowers, that somehow seemed to shine of their own light and made the whole area seem ghostly.

Jonghyun halted his deer to turn around on his saddle, sending a smile to the couple behind Kibum and him.

"It's splendid," Taemin breathed out.

"We are entering a sacred area," Jonghyun said. "We must continue on foot, out of respect."

They got down from their mounts and Jongin caught Taemin by his waist before he held him tightly, an excited grin on his face.

Jonghyun had had a wonderful idea. The place elves called the Silverwoods Meadow was the most beautiful corner of the forest and Jongin couldn't wait for Taemin to get there already. It was special. It was holy.

And Taemin truly realized they had entered a sacred place when they passed the first arch. They hadn't been made by elves. They weren't carved the way forest elves liked to. They looked like large, strong roots rising from the ground in perfect semicircles. They reminded Taemin of the roots Jongin could conjure. He thought they might have been done by spirits.

The sunlight looked pure under the arches; the silence sounded softer. There was a lingering smell of earth that felt like Jongin. Taemin blinked, a little overwhelmed all of a sudden without really knowing why, and he turned to look at his nymph, then Kibum, then Jonghyun. And it hit him.

"This place," he sighed, "it's soaked with magic."

Jonghyun smiled very softly before he nodded.

"We're going to the heart of the forest. The most ancient place. The forest's magic is at its peak, it's flowing everywhere. You are welcome to use it if you wish so."

They walked slowly, Tahca and Chinua not so far away behind them. Taemin was trying his best not to walk mindlessly on flowers; and when he understood what his elf was so careful about, Jongin couldn't help the bunch of daisies that bloomed in his hair.

"I really want to siphon that magic," Taemin grinned, "but honestly, there's so much of it... I don't even know what to do."

He laughed while moving his hands around like a child. The air was so filled with magic it felt like he could touch it, like it could take form any minute. Taemin's body was absorbing it without really meaning to and he smiled even more wildly as he threw a few sparkles towards Jongin, who scrunched his nose as they hit his face.

"What you doing, Taemin?" Jongin frowned.

"I don't know," Taemin giggled as he threw yet another bunch of golden sparkles to his nymph.

"Hey!" Jongin protested.

They ran around, chasing each other. Jonghyun rolled his eyes as he saw them dash forward under the arches, and Kibum tightened his soft hold on the elf prince's hand. With just one glance at the nymph, Jonghyun felt his heart get carried away. Kibum's eyes were piercing through him, always so gently, silently reminding him of the promise they had made to find Minho as soon as they could, in Melalhil. Getting their friend's help to give Jonghyun a better understanding of his magic and his capacities had become Kibum's greatest concern.

The mere memory of Kibum's tenderness as he had tried to comfort and reassure him about all of it caused Jonghyun to smile. And through their laced hands, Kibum felt Jonghyun send him love by way of a very soft, precious magic.

"I don't think we're allowed to kiss here, are we?" Jonghyun said with a scrunch of his nose.

He had been told to be humble while walking the path of Winderdurn. To be respectful and polite. He was only but an elf though and Kibum was allowed a lot more frivolities.

Kibum laughed at that and looked away to Jongin and Taemin passionately kissing a little farther from them.

"I think we can..."

"Oh, dear Light," Jonghyun sighed.

Kibum kissed his cheek before Jonghyun could complain about the two fools. And Jonghyun decided it would be far more satisfying to imitate Taemin rather than to scold him. He wrapped his arms around Kibum's waist and kissed him, smiling as he felt the nymph giggle against his lips.

They walked through Winderdurn slowly. Jonghyun tried to explain the legends and stories about the place in words as simple as he could. He told them how the forest elves thought of those red flowers, the spider lilies, as magical, how it was forbidden to ever pluck one, upon pain of being cursed.

As they progressed, Taemin grew quieter. The holy magic of the place felt warmer and denser until finally, they reached a round meadow, surrounded by trees with grey trunks that Taemin had never seen before. The clearing was filled with high grass and bright, colorful wildflowers; rosy spireas swang under the wind amongst harebells, red columbines, and myosotis. In the center of the meadow stood a tree. It wasn't grand or luxurious or shining. It was a simple tree, an acacia, with an evergreen bush and a trunk bearing spikes and thorns.

As soon as he saw it, Jonghyun joined his hands, brought his thumbs to his forehead, and bowed to the acacia humbly. Taemin watched Jongin and Kibum bring their hands over their hearts as they stared at the old tree. It wasn't the praying posture he was used to but Taemin mimicked Jonghyun, showing his respect in the way of the forest elves.

"This is the heart of the forest," Jonghyun said glibly.

Taemin looked at him in wonder. There was something a little curious about seeing such a simple tree be the center of everything around them. The forest was filled with unbelievable sceneries, golden trees and ghostly flowers, never-ending waterfalls and enchanted caverns, but they all came from an old, thorny, common tree. And yet, in the most peculiar way, it made sense. Taemin could feel it in his heart.

"It's the oldest tree of our forest," Jonghyun continued. He couldn't hide the emotion in his voice. "Our most beloved and sacred place. The legends say that the God of Light themselves planted here a golden seed. At first, it didn't grow and the God of Light was so sorrowful that the Moon took pity on them and brought them rain. With water, at last, the seed started to grow. The God of Light fell in adoration for the tree as soon as they saw the first sprout of its trunk. They loved it so much and cared for it so dearly that a spirit came out of the first leaf of the tree. The love between the God of Light and the Acacia Spirit gave birth to our forest."

"Nymphs have the same story," Kibum murmured.

Jonghyun's face brightened and his smile stretched on his lips.

Next to them, Jongin brought his arms around Taemin and rested his chin on the elf's shoulder.

"The leaf are forever green, forever here," he tried to explain, "it never go away."

"Really?" Taemin whispered.

"It symbolizes the immortality of our souls," Jonghyun said. "Everything shall die but we will never disappear. The souls of every being, as well as the spirits living in every part of the forest, will eventually come back to the Acacia. There, they rest, loved and cared for, until they are reincarnated."

Taemin felt a chill go down his spine and Jongin tightened his hold on him. The nymph pressed a soft kiss on Taemin's cheek.

"I hope I be rein-... reincarted a moonflower," Kibum chirped. "And Jeon-gyun pick me!"

His cute, excited voice seemed to appease the slightly heavy atmosphere of deep respect that had fallen on them. Taemin was rather certain that he saw the acacia before them lighten, its leaves moving with a soft wind as if they sighed in relief.

"I would definitely pick you," Jonghyun laughed. "Or maybe I could be the soil where you'll grow your roots. I could be another moonflower next to you."

Kibum squished himself against Jonghyun's side and hugged him close.

"I like it!"

Taemin spun in Jongin arms and smiled at him fondly.

"Do you think I could be reincarnated as one of your flowers?" Taemin asked before he left a little peck on Jongin's nose.

The nymph squinted to look at him and frowned slightly as he thought over Taemin's words for a second.

"Yes," he answered slowly. "You come back a magnolia flower. And Nini come back a small bee and I can eat you."

Taemin laughed. His eyes creased and he brought one hand over his mouth as he tried to hide against Jongin's chest.

"You don't understand?" Jongin asked with a pout.

"I'm sorry, Love. I understood... It just-... It sounds a little funny in Elvish."

Jongin's pout deepened and Taemin felt him sigh dramatically above his head.

"Elfish is terrible. I only want eat Taemin."

Taemin burst out laughing once more and Jongin grumbled.

"Can Nini say it more better?"

"I don't know," Taemin hummed, "somehow, saying you want to collect my pollen isn't more decent."

"Too much words," Jongin complained.

They hadn't paid attention to Jonghyun and Kibum walking away and closer to the acacia to stand in its shade, and Taemin jumped slightly when Kibum's voice came to them from afar.

"Jonginnie, come make a wish!"

Taemin blinked and a large smile bloomed on his lips.

"A wish? We can make wishes?" he chirped as he walked away from Jongin.

Jonghyun turned to him with a giggle and none of them noticed the way the two nymphs froze.

"Yes, we can," Jonghyun said softly as he beckoned Taemin closer. "You can ask for a blessing from the Acacia Spirit."

Taemin glanced at Kibum and stilled when he saw the nymph staring at him with a frown and wide eyes.

"I'm sorry," Taemin squeaked without really knowing what he was apologizing for.

He wondered if he had hurt Kibum by coming too close to Jonghyun. Or maybe it was the fact he had answered a call for Jongin.

Kibum's eyes darkened. He looked at Taemin intensely, then glanced at Jongin. From the way the nymph was studying him, Taemin had the strange feeling that Kibum was actually inspecting his colors.

"What happened?"

Taemin bit his lip in confusion. He heard Jonghyun ask if something was wrong, right behind him, in a soft, calming tone, but Taemin didn't answer him. Instead, he turned to Jongin, who was still standing, completely frozen, where he had left him.

"Nini?"

The faint discomfort in Taemin's voice seemed to awaken the nymph who came closer on wobbly legs.

"Taemin? Do you understand me?"

"Yes," Taemin said shyly. "Did I do something wrong?"

He brought his arms over his chest to hold himself, cowering slightly under Kibum's piercing stare. He heard Jongin gasp and saw Kibum's mouth fall open before the water nymph abruptly turned to Jongin with a cry.

"Jonginnie!" he screamed.

Jongin blinked anxiously, his whole body trembling as Kibum came to shake his arm.

"I didn't even realize," Kibum gasped. "I'm so used to see you two standing next to each other... I didn't-... Your colors are so similar anyway I just-... I didn't see it. It's the gift, right? He can-... He can hear! Jonginnie!"

"I gave it to him yesterday morning," Jongin whispered in disbelief, turning his eyes to his best friend. "I didn't know... I didn't know."

Kibum smiled brightly at him and cupped his face happily.

"I would have never imagined it either! Congratulations! For everything! We have so many things to celebrate! Kyungsoo is going to cry for days on end..."

Taemin's gaze jumped from one nymph to the other in utter and total perplexity. Jonghyun squeezed his arm gently with one hand, drawing Taemin's attention.

"Don't get scared," Jonghyun murmured. "They must be speaking the spirit language."

Jonghyun tried to reassure him but only plunged him into greater disarray. And only when he saw Taemin's eyes widening in shock did Jonghyun understand that something had changed.

"Do you hear them?" Jonghyun whispered.

Taemin nodded very softly. He felt Jongin's hand on his elbow and turned to the nymph with teary eyes. Everything around them seemed to faint. He didn't notice Kibum grabbing Jonghyun's hand to draw him away and give them privacy. The soft sounds of the clearing - the wind, the birds, everything- fainted and Taemin's entire attention focused on Jongin's face, his dazzling skin, his beaming smile, the tears in his eyes, the magnolias in his hair.

"My Taemin?"

"Yes?" Taemin breathed out.

"Taemin, you can hear me..."

Jongin's voice was soft. Deeper and lower than what Taemin was used to. His heart raced at the sound of it.

"I know."

Tears flowed from Jongin's eyes and Taemin immediately cupped his face to wipe them away with his thumbs.

"Love, don't cry. Don't cry," Taemin whispered in a tight voice.

He could feel his own tears threatening to overflow.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Nini," Taemin nervously laughed.

He brought their faces closer until their noses pressed against each other.

"I have so many things to tell you, I don't know where to start..."

"It's okay, Love. We have time. We have forever."

Jongin giggled and Taemin kissed him. He slid his arms around Jongin's neck and brought him closer to hold him tight. The nymph immediately mirrored his embrace and deepened their kiss. He could feel his stone press against his chest through Taemin's shirt.

When they parted for air, Taemin still hugged him tightly.

"It happened because of the stone?"

"Kibum thinks so... It makes sense, I suppose. I didn't expect-... I didn't think it would do anything like this. But I'm so glad."

It was a very strange feeling to hear Jongin talk so freely, so easily, without stuttering over words. He still pouted as he talked and Taemin's heart melted at the sight.

Taemin couldn't make sense of what happened. He understood every word Jongin spoke, which had confused him into thinking that the nymphs had to be speaking Elvish. And yet, as he really focused, he could hear that the sounds sounded foreign to his ears, softer and lighter than any Elvish word.

"So many times I tried to tell you things but I didn't know the proper words and now that I can finally say everything I want, the only thing playing in my mind is to tell you that I adore you more than any word in any language could ever convey..."

Taemin breathed out sharply. His mouth fell open and a deep blush tainted his cheeks red.

"Nini..."

"The first time I saw you..." Jongin continued in a hushed, emotional voice; words pouring from his lips hurriedly as if he was scared that the magic would disappear and Taemin would stop understanding him after a few minutes. "Did you ever fully understand how I felt, Taemin? Your colors... And all the things I kept trying to tell you... I fell in love with you so quickly. I couldn't stop thinking about you, all the time. I still can't. It's the way you speak, the way you look at me and truly see me, the way you move around... Everything. It's everything about you. I saw your kindness, I saw your tenderness, I saw your stubbornness, and even your cheekiness... I saw it all in colors and I've never found anything or anyone quite as magnificent as you."

Tears had overflowed from Taemin's eyes somewhere in the middle of Jongin's heartfelt confession and the nymph kissed them.

"I need you to know that even when I could barely understand you, I loved you. And yet still... Still, at that time, I had no idea how much I could truly adore you. I keep falling for you more and more every time I see you, every time we talk, with every new thing I learn about you..."

Taemin sniffed and let his head fall in Jongin's neck to hide. His whole body was trembling with emotions. Jongin didn't seem to mind Taemin's tears pouring on his collarbone, he simply held his elf tighter and cradled him as softly as he could.

"I am so grateful," Taemin whispered between two little sobs. "I am so grateful that I came into this forest during this life when you are born as a nymph and you can hold me."

"I am grateful for that too."

Jongin smiled in Taemin's hair. His voice was a little whiny, though, when he spoke again:

"But what is truly unfortunate is that I will have to keep learning Elvish. Isn't it so unfair?"

Taemin hummed in confusion and looked up with a little frown.

"Even if you can understand me, I still have to understand you," Jongin sulked. "Or can you speak with your soul now?"

"Speak with my soul?"

"That's how spirits talk..."

Taemin let out a little exclamation and sniffed.

"I uh-... No, I don't think I can," he laughed softly. "I wouldn't know where to start."

"So unfair."

"I'm going to miss hearing you speak Elvish though... It was always so precious."

Jongin pecked Taemin's lips and scrunched his nose.

"I can speak Elfish sometimes for Taemin. So Taemin think I am cute."

"Silly, I always think you're cute. I told you that already."

Jongin grinned widely.

It seemed that the world gradually came back to them. Taemin remembered where they were, with whom. Their surroundings slowly came back to life.

Jongin held Taemin's hand in his as if his entire existence depended on it. Even as they calmly made their way back to their friends, he stayed close to his elf, as if standing too far from him would pain him greatly.

Taemin was careful when he approached Jonghyun; he remembered far too well the struggles his friend had gone through when Taemin had first realized he could hear Faerish. To his surprise, though, Jonghyun's eyes held no sadness, no bitterness. There was no anger or hurt hiding in his genuine smile when he congratulated them.

"Kibum explained to me the nymph ritual you two have done," Jonghyun said as Taemin sat next to him in front of the acacia. "Congratulations on your secret wedding."

His tone was a little playful and Taemin blushed.

"My wedding?"

"I mean, I haven't known him for long, but it seems like a very Jongin thing to do to marry you before I have to."

Taemin hid his smile behind one hand and glanced at Jongin, who was happily chatting with Kibum. He could hear them, discussing the way they'd tell their friends and how they expected Kyungsoo and Junmyeon to react -with tears and screams-.

"I suppose it is," Taemin admitted.

He hadn't thought about it deeply but the implications of the bonding ritual Jongin had done suddenly appeared to him. It was, indeed, a very Jongin thing to do.

"Are you alright, though?" Taemin asked as he turned back to Jonghyun.

He didn't specifically voice his worries but Jonghyun understood them, read them in his eyes. As if he had expected them.

The forest elf put one hand on Taemin's forearm, as he always did. Taemin visibly relaxed and Jonghyun paused for a second. He wondered if that was the magic Kibum had told him about; that calming, comforting magic he created without realizing it. But then he shook the thoughts away and refocused on the matter at hand.

"I wonder what kind of friend and boyfriend I appear to be, for you and Kibum to have the same concerns over my well-being," Jonghyun pouted.

"I'm sorry..."

"Don't."

Jonghyun smiled to Taemin and squeezed his forearm slightly.

"Taemin, I never want to stand grimly between Jongin and you. I am sorry if I ever let my insecurities make you feel bad for things you don't even have control over. Please believe me when I say that I am more than happy for you."

"Thank you," Taemin breathed out.

"My relationship with Kibum has nothing to do with you and Jongin. I love him in my own unique way and I will never expect from him what Jongin does for you. From the day we met, you and I, we decided to be honest with each other and not to let the misery of our situation affect our relationship... I want to keep doing that. Please, don't feel bad to come to tell me how happy you are with Jongin. I won't be bitter about your happiness. I have my own. And even if I didn't, I treasure your blossoming on its own..."

Taemin pursed his lips and rubbed his nose quickly.

"Don't make me cry again," he muttered with a scowl.

"It seems you're going through an emotional day."

"Indeed."

Kibum tapped Taemin's knee gently to ask for his attention before he tried to speak Elvish. It occurred to all of them how much easier it would be for the two nymphs to communicate despite harsh Elvish words when they finally had a translator at hand. Kibum kept talking Elvish to make sure Jonghyun would understand everything he said but Jongin was having a harder time not relying on his language to express himself. He did use it to whisper sweet nothings into Taemin's ear all afternoon.

Kibum was excited to plan a friendly meeting with all their friends, where they would celebrate Taemin and Jongin's union. It appeared to all of them as a sweet comfort. The thought of being reunited soon, when they all knew their journey was coming to an end, was reassuring. The Silverwoods Meadow was their last meaningful stop, as Jonghyun had told them. Then, the two elves would have to go back to Melalhil where they would be expected to prepare for the Summer Solstice celebration. And then would come the beginning of the wedding preparations.

They had all tried to push those thoughts away for a few days, to forget that too soon, they would have to part and spend several dawns without waking up in loving arms.

When Taemin approached the acacia again and bowed to him, he made his silent wish; he asked of the ancient tree spirit to help him always find his way back to Jongin.

 

 

"Do you think we could run away already?"

Taemin beamed as Jongin teasingly pulled on his wrists to draw him closer. They were strolling through the silver trees around the meadow.

"Run away? To go home?"

Jongin hummed.

"What do you have in mind, you sly little nymph?" Taemin asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"Sly? What does it mean?"

Taemin blinked and straightened up. He smiled at Jongin's pout and tapped his nose gently.

"It means I'm suspecting you're a little bee who wants to eat me."

Jongin giggled and leaned down to steal a kiss from Taemin.

"Maybe I am... What about it?"

Taemin opened his mouth but before he could find something clever to say, they heard a little rustle not so far from them. The elf tried to peek over Jongin's shoulder to see what was going on and just when the nymph turned around with a frown, they saw Lord Baekhyun emerge from behind a tree.

Taemin's eyes widened impossibly and he felt Jongin stiffen before him in anxiety.

The Lord of nymphs sighed quite loudly, mumbled to himself something about troublesome pixies, then straightened up, and walked to them. It had been months since Taemin had first seen him and he had never thought he would ever see him again, or at least, not so soon. The elf hadn't forgotten the feeling of awe that had drowned him at the sight of the holy spirit; Baekhyun still had an ethereal aura, almost frightening in its might.

Baekhyun's dark eyes bored into his soul and Taemin suddenly felt extremely small. He wrapped his hands around Jongin's arm, shyly hiding behind him as he wondered if Lord Baekhyun just happened to be walking around or if he had been searching for them specifically.

Baekhyun couldn't help the very soft smile that grazed his lips at the sight of Taemin hiding behind Jongin. The wood nymph, albeit anxious himself, tried to shelter him as best as he could, and it was probably the very first time Baekhyun had seen him shielding someone instead of seeking their protection.

"Good evening," Baekhyun greeted them.

"Hi, Lord Baekhyun."

Baekhyun squinted slightly and looked over Taemin again, more thoroughly.

"It happened already," he whispered.

Jongin shuffled his feet but before he could try to justify himself, Baekhyun raised his hand to appease him.

"It's alright, Jongin," he said. "I didn't come here to lecture you. I'm enchanted to learn about your union. Congratulations on you both."

Jongin smiled sweetly with relief and whispered a thank-you.

Then Baekhyun turned to Taemin and the elf couldn't help the little squeal that he let out. It only made the two nymphs chuckle.

"Please keep taking care of my precious nymph, Lee Taemin."

Taemin swallowed his spit and nodded, his eyes still a little too wide.

"I will, my Lord."

"Lord Baekhyun," Jongin muttered. "Why did you come to us? Did something happen?"

Jongin thought that he had seen the Lord of nymphs a little too often over the last year. Too often for his liking, at least. And he knew that Baekhyun never really walked around in vain; Jongin only hoped that whatever matter he had with them, whichever of his complicated schemes he was onto at the moment, it wouldn't break his heart.

Jongin didn't want to let Baekhyun beat around the bush as he knew he would. He didn't want to go into small talks and let him play with his mind the way Kyungsoo always told him the Lord of nymphs liked to.

Baekhyun looked at him pointedly and Jongin was certain it was the first time he saw the other nymph slightly disconcerted. The foreign expression on Baekhyun's face faded quickly and he simply nodded. He seemed saddened.

"I must apologize to you," Baekhyun murmured. "Something has happened that I couldn't foresee."

Jongin tensed up and shifted slightly to shield Taemin from Baekhyun even more. He tightened his hold on Taemin's soft, small hand as if he could gather some strength from his lover.

"What is it?"

"I must ask you not to return to Nowhere."

His words fell like a thunderclap.

Taemin gasped. Before him, Jongin only frowned. He had pictured something so much darker, that the sudden unexpected demand took him completely by surprise. He had feared that Baekhyun would bring terrible news about his future with Taemin, maybe even demand that they stop seeing each other so often.

"But why?" Taemin asked in a small voice.

Baekhyun turned to him and Taemin shuddered. He felt like the nymph's eyes were boring into his soul.

"Because the owner of the house came back."

What hurt the most was the excitement in his voice that Jongin and Taemin both heard even though the Lord of nymphs tried to cover it out of respect for them.

Baekhyun turned back to Jongin with a worried pout.

"I know how attached to that house you both became. I am truly sorry that I couldn't foresee what happened and I hope you can forgive me. I didn't plan any of this purposedly, I promise."

Jongin remained silent. After his initial disbelief, his mind raced, struggling to realize the implications of what Baekhyun had just told him. His heart shrank and fell low in his stomach.

He couldn't help but think about Kyungsoo as he heard Baekhyun's last words. Jongin was actually quite certain the Lord of nymphs had told him that only for him to repeat it to Kyungsoo and prevent the fairy from coming to scold him.

"Jongin? Are you upset?"

Jongin's frown deepened. He couldn't hold Baekhyun's stare; he wasn't confident enough to look the nymph in the eyes but the soft grip of Taemin's hand around his arm gave him just enough strength to answer.

"Yes... Of course, I'm upset."

"I'm really sorry."

"A fat lot of good that does me..." Jongin whispered.

Baekhyun straightened up and widened his eyes, surprised by Jongin's bitter words.

"Jongin-..."

"We won't go back then," Jongin interrupted him with a mutter. "It's not like we have a choice here, right? We just-... We'll go with whatever you say."

Baekhyun's face closed off and Taemin slid his other arm around Jongin's waist, pressing his chest against the nymph's back for support.

"I welcomed you in Nowhere in the first place only to help you. I merely gave you shelter and I never said the house belonged to you."

"Next time, don't give out things you will have to take back, then. Or maybe warn us that it will only be temporary."

Jongin fisted his hands. His voice was wavering with emotions. He really wasn't used to standing up for himself, especially toward someone he respected and feared as much as Lord Baekhyun; but somehow, the fact that it would all affect Taemin made it unbearable for him to stay quiet and accept it.

"Enough. You don't know anything about the situation-..."

"Yes," Jongin sighed. "Maybe if you remembered what it's like not to know anything, you'd be more careful in your actions."

Taemin saw Baekhyun scowl and open his mouth in what seemed like outrage, but then the Lord of nymphs froze.

Jongin had closed his eyes. There was pain written all over his face and Baekhyun suddenly remembered the flowers he had seen covering every wall of the little cottage in Nowhere. He remembered the scent of magnolias filling the room. He remembered the fleeting visions he had had, the reason why he had asked Kyungsoo to bring Jongin to Nowhere, months ago.

Baekhyun's face softened. He looked at Taemin, who remained quiet and made himself small behind Jongin, too overwhelmed to put himself in a conversation he wasn't sure to completely understand.

"Please, forgive me," Baekhyun murmured.

Jongin softly took Taemin's hands in his and held them tightly. Baekhyun hesitated for a moment before he brought his fingers on Jongin's chin and lifted his head.

"I wanted to help you... But you are right, I'm not used to be ignorant... I didn't consider all of this the way I should have had."

Jongin finally looked at him, then nodded.

"How can I apologize?" Baekhyun asked.

"I don't know."

"Everything's going to be alright, Jongin... It will all get even better, you see-..."

Jongin looked at him with a tiny, uncomfortable smile and Baekhyun stopped himself mid-sentence.

"Thank you, Lord Baekhyun. But I don't want to know. I want to talk with Taemin about it. It's our future, not yours."

Baekhyun closed his mouth, blinked awkwardly, and took a step back.

"Alright."

Taemin heard a little hurt, maybe some lack of understanding in his voice.

"I'll be going then. But if you need my help, at any time, reach out to me," Baekhyun said gently.

Taemin tilted his head to look at Jongin but the nymph was staring back at his feet, still and somber. With little steps, Taemin came out from behind Jongin and bowed to Baekhyun.

"Thank you, Lord Baekhyun."

Baekhyun smiled in return, albeit a little nervously, and turned around. He walked away and disappeared behind the same tree he had appeared from, smoothly and quietly, as if he had never come at all.

Taemin let out a little sigh and cupped Jongin's face in his hands, lifting his chin until Jongin's eyes met his, then he smiled.

"How do you feel, Love?"

Jongin pouted and closed his eyes.

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Nini..."

"It's our house. It's-... I-... I'm hurt."

Taemin let his fingers fall from Jongin's face to his neck and chest, then he slid his hands on Jongin's back. He tiptoed closer to him and pressed a soft kiss on the nymph's chin.

"I know. We have so many memories there."

"It's our house and he suddenly comes out of nowhere to tell us we can't go back..." Jongin whined.

Taemin giggled softly.

"Yes, he probably came out of Nowhere."

Jongin scowled at him and Taemin let out a sheepish apology. The nymph sighed and pushed his forehead against Taemin's.

"We had plans... and had I known that we couldn't go back... I would have-... I don't know, this morning, I would have enjoyed it more."

For a moment, all Taemin could do was stare at the nymph in adoration. He was still in disbelief that he could understand Jongin's deep thoughts so easily and it seemed like nothing could take that joy away from him that day.

"We had plans to make it all look more like ours, though."

"Ours?" Jongin repeated.

He felt like he knew that word but couldn't remember it properly in his abashed state.

"Yours and mine."

Jongin nodded quickly.

"So, instead of changing that house in Nowhere, we could make our own, wherever we want it..."

Jongin tilted his head with a dubitative look on his face but Taemin's large grin melted the bitterness poking in his heart.

"I am sad that we can't go back to the house where we kissed for the very first time. We confessed there. Everything about Nowhere was wonderful, but Nini... look at us," Taemin said slowly. "I am in love with you. And you're in love with me. And it's all that matters to me. And I'll build a house myself if it makes you happy. We'll put wonderful things inside, all ours, everything that we love... And I'll make love to you again until every wall and every corner of it is covered in flowers."

Jongin, who had been blushing during all of Taemin's mischievous monologue, suddenly laughed and hid behind his hands.

"Yes, you must..." he murmured.

"We'll build it in an enchanting place. We'll get everyone to help us. It's going to be our home and we'll make it so pretty. And it will be ours and no one will ever be able to tell us to go away."

Jongin nodded and Taemin saw a small buttercup bloom in his hair.

"In the meantime," Jongin said softly, "we can go to my willow tree..."

"That's a wonderful idea."

Jongin finally smiled sincerely and Taemin kissed him.

"I don't care where we are as long as I'm with you."

Jongin's face softened and a few more wildflowers appeared on his head. Taemin held out his hand to caress them gently.

"Let's go, then... Let's go to my willow... I want to celebrate you being able to hear me. I have many things to tell you! I need to enumerate everything that I adore about you!"

Taemin laughed loudly and Jongin grabbed his hand to lead him forward and away from the Silverwoods Meadow.

"Do you know what I want, though?" Taemin simpered as he trotted closer to Jongin.

Jongin glanced at him with one eyebrow raised.

"What do you want?"

"I want to make love to you all night and finally hear every little sound you'll make."

Jongin blushed a deep red and bit his lips to try to contain his smile.

"Let's go to my willow," he repeated in an embarrassed croak.

 

 

As the night fell slowly, a soft breeze shook the branches of the acacia in the heart of the forest of Honeyhills. Its leaves danced with the wind which stole its magic to carry it everywhere across the realm. The tree shone faintly with the last rays of the twilight sun. It seemed at peace.


.

.

.

♥♥
hi.
I hope you're all doing well lately...
Did you like this chapter? I grow more & more nervous as the story progresses to its grand finale & all my hidden storylines finally get uncovered... ;A; ♥
I sure hope coming back to our forest was pleasant & gave you some peace of mind.
Please, take care of yourself until next time.