The first snow

Magnolia Boy

Chapitre 11 : The first snow

.

The night was quiet, and calm. It was the first time in a while, that no wind came to hustle the flowers around and make the leaves twirl. A door creaked open, high up on the last floor of a giant tree. The home was warm, spotlessly cleaned and tidy. It still smelled lightly of cardamom, from a gingerbread baked early the previous morning. In this charming and modest little place, lived Kim Minseok.

Minseok left his bathroom, his feet making the softest of sounds against his flooring, as he strolled towards his bedroom. He didn't even have enough strength to summon any light, and barely closed the door behind himself. He smiled as he saw his bed, standing right beneath the very large windows, bathing in the soft moonlight that came out through the trees.

That day in the castle had been particularly long and not especially interesting. He had been very glad to come home, and now only wished to melt into his sheets and rest until an abstract hour of the next day. He let out a long sigh of relief as his head met his fluffy pillow, and he cowered under his blanket.

Up there in his home, he never heard anything. That had been the first reason why he had wanted that house, higher than any other. He was all alone there, and wouldn't be bothered by neighbors, passerbys, or troublesome children. It was just him, lost somewhere, still in the middle of a city. He loved it like that. Just him and the moon.

Minseok closed his eyes, already feeling a heavy mist starting to take his thoughts away. But a sudden buzzing sound made him wrinkle his nose. He tried to not pay attention to it, but the harder he was trying, the faster sleep was running away from him. He attempted to find the cause of such an annoying sound, but couldn't think of anything. It was far too cold outside for mosquitoes to still bother him. He clicked his tongue and finally opened his eyes, when the sound stopped. Minseok pouted and closed his eyes again.

A hubbub suddenly rang in his ears, so loud that he jumped in his bed and blinked furiously like an owl, looking everywhere around himself. It was as if a thousand little bells were ringing in his head.

"By all that is holy!" He grumbled, getting up from his bed.

He turned around in his bedroom, and it took him a few minutes to realize that whatever that sound was, it came from outside. It was very surprising. He knew that sound. It was somewhat familiar but he still couldn't pinpoint where he heard it before. Scratching his head, he took long and large steps towards his door, barging in his garden with the firm intention to strangle whoever was doing this insufferable noise. He walked, and walked, and walked again, but couldn't find anyone, or anything, that could be held responsible for such a din. Until finally, he stood next to the window of his bedroom, and looked at his magnolia tree. There, he saw a glitter.

"What is this?" He mumbled, coming closer.

The glitter moved, making him jump, and suddenly, everything clicked inside Minseok's foggy brain. He had a fairy inside his garden, who had been yelling in faerish all this time.

"Hey, you! What are you doing? Are you lost?"

The fairy stopped flying in circles and turned to him. Minseok couldn't see him that well, with only the moon giving them some light. At least he could tell this wasn't the only fairy he knew. It wasn't Junmyeon.

"Who's this odd fella'? Shoo! Shoo! Go away you elf, you're gonna scare my friend!"

Minseok heard those bells again, and sighed. As much as he could hear faerish, he wasn't able to understand even one word of the language. Nor speak it. And right about now, he was really regretting his capacity to hear it.

"I don't understand you, sorry."

The fairy came closer, squinting at him, and suddenly made a funny face. He pulled out his tongue and shook his little head at the elf.

"I don't care, I don't care! I'm not gonna speak elvish ever again."

Then he flew around Minseok's head, so fast that the elf had trouble following him.

"You go away now, before scaring Jongin."

Jongdae rushed to the magnolia tree, and Minseok saw him gently caressing a leaf.

"You're completely nuts," Minseok muttered, his eyes wide as he looked at the crazy little thing.

The fairy turned to him once more and made another silly face.

"Go, I said go away! What are you even doing here, old fart? Shoo!"

Minseok decided that it was enough. He was tired, and this idiotic fairy was being very rude, even without understanding what he was saying. He frowned, inflated his cheeks and made a quick move to catch him. His fingers closed on the other's legs, and the little thing yelled even louder, tried to bite his index and punched him with his tiny fists.

"Enough, I'll just bring you to Choi, he'll know how to deal with you."

As he brought the fairy closer, to try to handle him better without hurting him, Minseok froze. Jongdae had stopped fighting and had gone completely still. The elf looked at the little motionless form between his fingers, scared that he held him too tight. But as his fingers loosened around the tiny body, he suddenly realized that the fairy had fallen asleep. Just like that.

Minseok cupped him in his palm and watched as the creature curled up on himself snoring and rubbing his face against the elf's fingers.

"Batty fairy...," Minseok murmured, still amazed that the creature went to sleep so promptly.

He stayed like that for a few seconds, wondering what he should do from there. Choi's apartments were a long way to go, and he was very tired. He thought a moment about leaving the fairy in the magnolia tree he seemed to like so much, but the nights were so cold lately, he didn't want to risk having the creature catching a cold. Or worse.

Minseok pleated his eyes at the dark haired head wheezing in his hand.

"You better not wake me up in the middle of the night with your screeches or so help me, you'll regret it."

A snort answered him, and Minseok went back inside his home. He dragged his feet all the way back to his room and put the fairy on the windowsill, wrapped in the soft fabric of one too big blanket, before he let himself fall on his bed once again.

 

When Minseok woke up the next morning, all fresh and fully rested, the fairy was still sleeping soundly. He tried to get him to wake up, but to no avail. He called for him, pushed him with his fingers, but got no answer. Minseok was scared that something terrible had happened, but the creature was still snoring, even when the elf finally hold him upside down by his foot, wiggling him to rouse him. Finally, he gave up, and went away to his work.

When he came back home that afternoon, the fairy had left, leaving Minseok with a very peculiar feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Had this little guy found his way home safely?

 

 

The nights were growing longer lately. The whole forest was tucked in a cloud of darkness and silence. Most of the animals had went into their winter sleep, and the flowers and colors had gone away. Jongin's pink hair had become paler each passing day, until one morning, he woke up to see a grey strand over his eyes.

At least, it hadn't started snowing. At least, it was still warm enough for Kibum to swim and stay with him. More or less. The water nymph was still regularly meeting with Choi Minho, apologizing to Jongin while explaining that soon, he would be frozen there and he wouldn't be able to look at his elf prince anymore, so now was the time to drown in his features as much as possible.

They still spent long mornings together, laying on their waterfall, watching the sunrise, bathing in the colors of the sky. Jongin would breathe deeply, trying to fill himself with that warmth, fueling the light that always crackled inside of him.

One early afternoon, as Kibum had went away yet again, Jongin had met with his friend, the faun Chanyeol. It was only the two of them and Chanyeol had wanted to take him to one of his favorite place in the whole forest. As they had walked next to each other, talking about warm chestnuts and the best sleeping position, Jongin realized that his friend wouldn't go into hibernation and that they would be able to spend the whole frozen period together, and suddenly, winter didn't seem that lonely anymore.

"We're almost there...," Chanyeol said cheerfully, as he hopped over brushes.

Jongin looked around himself. He knew that part of the forest well, he had come here often, but he didn't remember a place around here so nice that it could possibly be Chanyeol's favorite. Then again, a lot of creatures didn't understand the beauty of his favorite trees compared to other shrubs. To each his own, as Kyungsoo would say.

They ended up in a sort of clearing. There, before Jongin's wide eyes, the ground was rising and falling in a pattern, like a wide and low staircase. There were rocks, moist grass, and one or two shrubs, peeping out here and there. Then, coming from left, and right, and in front of them, came lazy streams, all joining together and separating again, opening up on miniature ponds. The water was making a very soft, regular noise, as it crushed against stones and slipped on cascades.

Jongin's mouth had fallen against his chest as he looked everywhere around them. Could he have come here already, without realizing how beautiful it was?

"This is my safe place," Chanyeol chirped. "Also, the accoustic is incredible here. Should I play?"

"Yes, yes of course. Please, do!"

The faun gave him one of his largest smile before he took out his harp and started to jump around on his deer-like legs, while playing an enchanting and joyful melody.

Jongin took a few minutes to watch him, the way he danced around clumsily, the way his ears were wiggling to the wind. He realized how Chanyeol's horns had grown so wide and beautiful, since their first encounter, and it filled him with joy. A peaceful and warm feeling wrapped up his chest, and he finally joined the faun, turning and waltzing in the water, spraying droplets around himself.

Chanyeol was the one to stop, looking over him with a grin. When Jongin danced, it felt like spring. Even in the coldest of days.

They spent the best hours of the day together, rolling on the ground, dancing more. As Chanyeol finally laid down his harp, sighing that he needed to rest his fingers a bit, the wind brought them a whisper that made both of them stop.

"Jongin?" A voice called.

The faun turned to the nymph, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Did you hear that?"

Jongin slowly nodded, looking confused. Someone far away was calling for him, but he couldn't remember where he heard that voice already.

"Jongin?"

It came again, and the nymph rose on his feet, putting his fists on his waist.

"What is it? Who's calling?"

Chanyeol blinked to him, and pushed him a bit with his feet.

"You should go, it might be important."

"But I don't even-..."

He stopped himself as he heard his name being called again. And suddenly, he remembered.

"Chinua...," he whispered with disbelief.

This was Taemin's wolf, calling for him. A thousand fireworks exploded in Jongin's belly as a smile bloomed on his face. Chinua was calling for him. Chinua had promised she would call for him when she'll bring Taemin back. Taemin was waiting for him somewhere South.

"Chanyeol, I have to go!" He suddenly bursted out excitedly.

He saw the faun jump with fright at the sudden yell.

"Sure, go..."

Jongin turned to him one last time, tousling the faun's hair energetically.

"Sorry for leaving you so soon. I must really go. Let's see each other soon again, right?"

He didn't even wait for an answer before he rushed away. He still heard Chanyeol's positive answer in his back but didn't dwell on it. His feet were flying on the grass as he ran away, a happy laugh leaving his lungs. He couldn't wait to be there. He couldn't wait to see Taemin again.

Jongin melted in the trunk of a nearby tree, too eager to arrive to even run properly. He couldn't be fast enough. He was trying his best to find his way in the forest, asking the trees silently, wondering where he should go. He finally ended up in the right area, and left the beech tree he was in. The first thing he saw, was Taemin's white hair. The elf was kneeling on the ground, Chinua's fur and talking to her with words Jongin still hadn't learn. The nymph stood there, feeling something in his heart that he couldn't quite describe, as if his lungs had been compressed by roots for days and weeks and months, and were finally now released, letting him breath properly again.

"Taemi-n?" Jongin called tentatively in elvish, in a voice rendered hoarse by too many emotions.

The elf spun around and his eyes went wide with surprise as they fell on the shy figure he recognized immediately. Taemin got up slowly, as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing, afraid that the mirage would go away if he moved too fast. He came closer, his bottom lip quivering, his hands coming into fists as he had no idea what to do with himself.

"My Magnolia," he whispered, stopping right in front of Jongin.

The nymph had no clue what he had said, but it didn't matter in the slightest, for Taemin was smiling so brightly at him right in that moment that the world could have collapsed around them without him noticing.

They looked at each other, both taking in the sight of the other's hair, and nose, and lips, and neck, and stature. Jongin wanted to hold his hand already, and Taemin wanted to hug him, but they both stood awkwardly, motionless, simply enjoying that relief they felt to be reunited at last.

"Your hair... It's lovely." Taemin chuckled, as his eyes couldn't leave the now gray locks.

It fitted Jongin so well. It made his dark skin stand out even more in the wintery scenery.

"Taemi-n," Jongin repeated, with the same joy he had whenever he pronounced the elf's name.

There was a million things Taemin wanted to say, and it still frustrated him to no end to know it was no use. Then, a huff made him turn his head towards his wolf. Jongin didn't bother; he was still staring shamelessly at Taemin's cheeks.

"Jongin?"

It took three calls of his name for the nymph to finally give his attention to the wolf.

"What is it?" He asked, as politely as he could.

"I will leave you two together," the wolf grumbled. "But I will come back later, to get Taemin back home. At that moment, please don't whine again. I will only come when Taemin really has to go back, do you agree?"

Jongin tried not to pout too much. He didn't want to think already about letting his elf go away, he barely got him back yet.

"Yes," he reluctantly murmured.

"I will find you wherever you are. Don't try to hide him away, it would only bring him troubles."

The nymph lowered his head, his body slightly turning left and right.

"Yes," he repeated, "I won't cause him troubles."

"Good," Chinua breathed out. "I'll see you later."

Jongin saw the wolf trotting away from the corner of his eyes. He then felt a hand taking his, and he suddenly rose his head back up, meeting Taemin's confused eyes. The elf's other hand came to cup his cheek, and his thumb brushed over Jongin's lips, trying to lift his pout into a smile.

"Why are you sulking again?" Taemin whispered.

Jongin only got the first and last words, and couldn't make any sense for the whole sentence out of them. But it didn't seem more important than Taemin's hand on his face, so he didn't care. The elf's fingers were so cold against his skin, it reminded him of his initial plan. Jongin took both of Taemin's hands in his, trying to warm them up as much as he could. He heard the elf sighing of relief at the feeling.

Then, Jongin turned around, pulling Taemin with him as he started walking. It was a bit awkward, and not that convenient, to walk with both their hands holding, so Jongin let go of one, bringing Taemin's fingers to rest on his arm for warmth. It brought them closer, in a way, and Taemin's cheeks went just a little bit red on his cheekbones as he snuggled closer to the nymph.

Taemin wanted to ask where they were heading like that, but he kept silent, his eyes going from his feet, to Jongin's face, wondering where the spirit was taking him. He wasn't really looking at the path they were taking, he didn't realize the trees were swirling around them, he didn't witness all the magic Jongin was releasing to find shortcuts, because from so close, the spirit's profile was so sharp he couldn't look away.

Then, Jongin stopped. They were right in front of a very large tree, which trunk and roots formed a clear, round hollow. The tree's roots were covered with ivy, and the floor, even down there in the hole, was drowned under red leaves. Jongin turned to Taemin and gave him a bright smile, before lowering his head to bring them both to sit sheltered in there. He had planned that for days now. He had been waiting so long for Chinua to call him, he had plenty of time to find the perfect place to bring his elf so they wouldn't be bothered by the rain, if it were to come again. Hopefully, it would be warm enough for Taemin.

As they sat, close enough for their knees to brush against each other, Jongin realized exactly how dark it was getting. The sun was already starting to set, and protected under their tree, it was even dimmer. The nymph closed his eyes, missing the way Taemin tilted his head at him with confusion. Jongin took a deep breath, collecting all the light he could find within himself to release it through his skin. He heard the surprised hiccup of the elf near him and opened his eyelids again.

Jongin was shining, light glowing out of him so much more than usual that Taemin kept blinking. The nymph took Taemin's hand in his once more, intertwining their fingers as he loved to, and the elf melted against the warmth that he was releasing.

"You're so beautiful...," Taemin confessed in a sigh, without even realizing his own words.

Jongin smiled brightly at that. He had learned that word, “beautiful”. He had asked Kyungsoo about that, and even if he didn't understand what it was that Taemin had called charming, he was still terribly proud of himself to have picked up on one elvish word. Also, Taemin probably complimented his light. That would make a lot of sense. It was also the right time for himself to use that word too. He had learned it for a purpose.

"Taemi-n," Jongin stammered, "Taemi-n... bio... beaut-tifu."

Taemin stared at him, his mouth open in wonder. He couldn't help the slight blush creeping back on his cheeks, even as he tried to convince himself that the spirit was probably just mimicking him. He couldn't possibly praise him. Could he?

But then, Jongin shook their holding hands and coughed a bit before pointing at himself repeatedly.

"Jo... Jo-nin..."

Taemin could hear his heart beating like crazy in his chest. He was looking at the bright face of his lovely spirit, and realized that he was probably trying to say his name. He might have gone out of his way to learn it in elvish. Taemin still remembered Minho telling him that it was so very complicated for spirits to speak the way elves did.

Taemin's thumb was slowly Jongin's hand, without him even being aware of it. He tried to mimic the nymph.

"Jonin? Is that it? Jonin..."

Jongin suddenly stopped and frowned. The elf hoped he didn't do anything wrong, but Jongin simply realized that the way Taemin had said it sounded awfully different from when Kyungsoo was teaching him. Did he say it that badly? He couldn't properly remember it now. He spent far more time saying over and over in his head and out loud Taemin's name or other words to say to him, and now he couldn't recall his own name. This was terrible.

Jongin scratched his head, his eyes filling with sadness.

"Jo-...," he tried again, "Jon-... Jonk? Ah what is it?"

Taemin waddled closer to him, their knees completely touching now. He lowered his head to try to get the nymph to look at him, and gave him a encouraging smile. Jongin scrunched his nose and tried again.

"Jon-... Jong... Jong," he blinked two times, before straightening up, "Jong-nin!"

There it was again. Taemin's brightest smile, who made everything inside of Jongin soft and mellow.

"Jongnin?" Taemin echoed.

Jongin opened his mouth, and his shoulders dropped. It still didn't sound the same. His free hand came to hit his forehead and he could feel a too well-known, insidious feeling filling up his stomach. Anxiety was bubbling. He couldn't have waited that long to face a wall with something so stupid. Taemin was probably thinking he was a really dumb creature. He wasn't even able to remember a word as simple as his own name. Why did he remember “beautiful” and not this one?

Small fingers came to surround his wrist, halting him from punching himself. Taemin put Jongin's hand back on the ground, before he let his fingers caress gently the nymph's forehead. There was all the patience in the world in those dark orbs looking at him, and Jongin took a deep breath. There was something in Taemin, that kept him anchored. That made him feel safe.

Jongin tried to remember that moment with Kyungsoo. He had thought his name was impossible to say, until he had realized that it ended the same way “Taemin” did. It had made him foolishly happy.

"Jong-...," the nymph started slowly, "Jong-... in...?"

He stopped, looking expectandly at Taemin. It was easier to tell if he was right or wrong when the other was saying it.

"Jongin?" Taemin tried once again.

Jongin tilted his head to the side, his eyes squinting on the elf, before he suddenly nodded.

"Jong-in! Jong-in!"

Relief washed over him as Taemin shook his free hand in the air to congratulate him.

"Jongin! That's really cute," he laughed.

The nymph breathed out deeply, before waving two fingers in front of Taemin to get his attention back. He really wasn't done with showing off his elvish skills. Jongin put a finger on the elf's nose.

"Taemi-n... el-f," he tried.

His eyes couldn't stay focused because of how embarrassed he was. They kept going from Taemin's face to his knees. He really hoped he would get it right and be understood.

His finger went to his own nose.

"Jong-nin... nim-ph."

Taemin didn't know a lot about the forest's spirits yet. He had wondered for a while, if his magnolia spirit was indeed a nymph, but there was no way for him to find out the truth. He hadn't dare to talk about him more to Jonghyun, or even Minho. He was somehow scared of telling Junmyeon too. He was afraid of being told not to approach him anymore.

Now Jongin was doing his best to articulate words in elvish, and Taemin had no idea how he even managed to learn them in the first place, but it filled him with happiness and pride. One of the holiest spirits this forest sheltered kept coming back to him, struggling to communicate with him in the most adorable and stubborn way possible.

Taemin glanced at the nymph, his heart beating so loudly by now that he could hear it in his head. He couldn't find what to answer to that. He wasn't sure Jongin would understand. He had no idea how much Jongin knew about elvish by now.

A shy smile grew on the nymph's lips at this time, his eyes settled down in Taemin's ones.

"Jon-nin... lear-... elf-ish... for Taemi-n," he confided in one breath, hoping that he didn't forget one word.

It was the first full sentence that he had asked Kyungsoo about, and learned by heart. One of his recurring fear after their previous and first real meeting, was that Taemin would quickly be annoyed to not be able to communicate with him, and maybe wouldn't come back to him. He wished that his elf would understand that he was working hard and would be patient with him.

Taemin's breath got caught up in his throat.

"You-... You're learning elvish? For me?" He squeaked.

Jongin's eyebrows furrowed with anxiety as he saw the dumbfounded face in front of him. He couldn't exactly read his expression, he couldn't tell if Taemin was happy or upset, and he was hoping that he didn't say anything bad. What if he remembered a word wrong and just said something offensive?

"Jon-nin...," he attempted to say again, his breath heavy in his lungs, "Jon-nin elf... for Taemi-n...? Y-es?"

Taemin bit his lips, one hand coming to press against his mouth as he did his best to hold himself back from squealing. But he couldn't refrain the large smile that broke underneath his fingers. His eyes were shining with exhilaration, and Jongin let out a heavy, relieved sigh.

"Thank you," Taemin purred in a low voice. "Thank you so much, Jongin."

A cheeky grin bloomed on Jongin's lips, and the nymph wiggled a bit on his . Taemin's eyes caught a small move next to Jongin's right ear, and he watched with wonder as a tiny bud formed in his hair. It slowly opened into a pinkish flower.

The elf extended one arm, his fingers coming to brush against the delicate petals. His pinky finger flicked over Jongin's ear, and the nymph had a slight jump at the sensation. Jongin's eyes opened widely, his free hand immediately coming to get Taemin's one.

"I'm sorry...," Taemin hushered.

For a moment, Taemin felt his heart compress in his chest, convinced that he had pushed too far on the nymph's limits and he probably shouldn't have touched him that way. But Jongin simply held his hand tight, before lowering his head, gently blowing his warm breath on Taemin's skin.

It wasn't warm enough. This sheltered tree wasn't enough. Jongin hadn't realized, for the hand he had been holding all that time was safely gripped into his sunny fingers, but the rest of Taemin's body was cold and tensed. Why wasn't he wearing those fluffy cottony stuff to keep himself heated, like Kyungsoo did?

Jongin looked up to his elf with worry, he put Taemin's hands flat on his glowing thighs while his fingers came to cup the elf's face. Taemin's cheeks immediately grew red with bashfulness, but Jongin didn't seem to notice. Or maybe he thought it had to do with the sudden warmness his palms provided.

Jongin sighed loudly, his eyebrows knitted together as he started to shift, bouncing closer to Taemin.

"What are you do-...?"

Taemin's words died in his throat as he felt Jongin stop right next to him, the nymph slipping one arm around his shoulders to get him to press against his side. Taemin remained silent, not daring to move an inch as Jongin was getting comfortable like it was his duty to warm him up. He put Taemin's feet under his own calves, and pressed their entire bodies together into a tight hug.

In this position, Taemin couldn't see Jongin's face anymore, his own head was resting against the nymph's neck and his entire being was burning up with embarrassment.

A little voice at the back of his head congratulated him for not checking on the weather that afternoon when he had decided to take Chinua out for a walk, and he felt guilty for it. He had tried not to think too much of how ridiculously handsome Jongin was. He kept telling himself every day, when his mind was coming back to thoughts of his nymph, that he was mostly curious, grateful, inquisitive to the spirit.

The truth was that he was utterly, completely, thoroughly smitten with the gorgeous nymph.

And he still didn't understand why Jongin was showing any interest in him.

Taemin tried to calm the crazy beats of his heart, and steady his breathing. Jongin's warmness was slithering into every cold little corner of his body, and despite his timidity at their proximity, he could feel all his muscles relax.

"Thank you," Taemin murmured for the umpteenth time.

Jongin hummed above him, brushing his face against Taemin's hair in response.

It was the closest they had ever been, and Jongin couldn't even begin to say how much he loved Taemin's scent. Everything about that elf was always soft and comfy.

In that moment, none of them was aware of the dozens of blossoms of all colors which appeared like a crown on Jongin's head.

Jongin opened his eyes again, and smiled, moving just a bit to press the tip of his finger to Taemin's nose, before he pointed at the forest extending in front of them. The elf straightened up a bit in his arms and hiccuped when he saw the first snowflakes of the year, falling on the floor.

"Can it get any more perfect?" Taemin said with a laugh, snuggling closer to the sun next to him.

Jongin had his eyes shut tight, trying to recall the exact words Kyungsoo had tried to teach him.

"Jon-nin... don-t un-der-stan'... ye-t."

Taemin scrunched his nose and wiggled a bit, working his way to finally be able to look at the nymph.

"I am happy," he said instead, hoping Jongin would maybe know that word.

Jongin's face brightened as he nodded.

"Ha-ppy. Ha-ppy, yes... Taemi-n ha-ppy?"

In that moment, did Taemin realize that the personal pronouns were maybe a bit too much for now. But Jongin did get what it meant, and it was more than enough.

"Yes, Taemin is happy," he repeated.

He caught sight of the multitude of new flowers adorning Jongin's head, as the nymph answered him.

"Jon-nin is ha-ppy."

Jongin got completely lost in the sight of Taemin's smile.

The elf resumed his position in their hug, his eyes going back to the snow twirling to the ground. They remained that way for what seemed like a sweet eternity to Taemin. Still it ended way too soon to Jongin's liking, and he closed his eyes in defeat as he heard a low howl coming from far away.

His arms tightened their hold on Taemin's lithe frame for a second and he took a deep breath, filling his lungs with his perfume, before he let go of him, parting slowly. The elf looked at him in surprise, for he hadn't noticed Chinua's call.

"Everything's okay?" he asked with concern.

Jongin sighed and tucked at his hand, trying to get him up and out of their tree. He still had something really important to tell Taemin before his mean wolf would snatch him away. He wasn't sure how he was going to explain himself with the few words he knew in elvish.

"Taemi-n, Jon-nin, a-gain?" he asked, his eyes full of apprehension.

"Yes," was Taemin's immediate answer. "Yes, I-... Taemin wants to see Jongin again."

He made a small move to his eyes with his fingers, and Jongin seemed to get it. The nymph was sparkling with both relief and satisfaction.

Now came the time for Jongin to act and play. His cheeks became a bit rosy as he trotted away from his elf.

"Taemi-n...," he said as he walked to a tree. He put his hands around his mouth and leaned against the trunk, "Jon-nin... Jon-nin...," he whispered to it.

He turned to Taemin, who was looking at him, a bit confused, but he tried not to give up despite his embarrassment. He pointed at another tree, and another, and another.

"Taemi-n," he repeated, and put his hands around his lips one more time. "Jon-nin, Jon-nin," he murmured to the tree, "A-gain, a-gain, a-gain, a-gain, a-gain... !" he turned to Taemin and ran to him. "Taemi-n... see... Jon-nin!"

Taemin pleated his eyes, looking at the tree, then at Jongin, and pouted.

"You mean-...," he started, before nodding silently, "Taemin calls Jongin... to the tree? And Jongin arrives?"

He slowly went himself up to the tree to imitate the nymph, brought his hands to his mouth, and murmured.

"Jongin...?"

Jongin nodded few times.

"A-gain, a-gain, a-gain..."

Taemin laughed nervously.

"Okay, okay," he chuckled before resuming his position, "Jongin, Jongin, Jongin, Jongin..."

He saw the nymph smile brightly and run to him.

"Jon-nin see Taemi-n!"

Taemin burst out laughing as he looked fondly at the nymph. Was this really the shy nymph who had run away the very first time their eyes had met? He remembered so well the suspicious look Jongin had given him two weeks ago when he had been slowly moving closer to him, as if he was frightened that Taemin would hurt him. But Jongin was now acting out in front of him, stuttering and squirming in explanations on how to meet again.

Taemin didn't know why Jongin even wanted to see him, he had no idea why he would go to such length as learning elvish for him, but he was grateful to the entire universe for it.

Jongin's smile slowly faded away, sadness filling his features and Taemin's eyes grew wide as he wondered what was happening to him. He felt a push on his knee and turned his face away for a second, seeing Chinua sitting as his feet.

"Oh...," he whispered.

He looked back at Jongin, who was faintly moving his lips at his wolf, and Taemin wondered if they were into a deep conversation again. Most likely. Apparently, those two had come to some agreements.

"I told him how to get to me...," Jongin said, a bit reluctantly, "so next time he takes you for a walk, you don't have to call me. You can spend time with him too."

Chinua seemed surprised at his consideration.

"Thank you, nymph."

Jongin just shrugged, before reporting his attention to Taemin.

"Goo-bye, Taemi-n."

Taemin gently over his hand before offering him one last tender smile.

"Goodbye, Jongin.

.

.

.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your comments on last chapter. I hope you liked this one too. I hope it gave you some comfort and calm. ♥♥ As always, you're welcome to leave me a note with your thoughts on it. (*´∀`*)

Please take care of yourselves on those difficult days.

Next chapter is titled "When you wish upon the moon" and will come in two weeks. Until then, I wish you all the best.