s e v e n

The Line That Separates Us

"Baekhyun," Taeyeon whispered, her blonde spilling over Baekhyun's shoulder as she leaned in closer, "can you get me cola? I'm really thirsty."

I rolled my eyes at her high-pitched voice, an attempt to coo my best friend. Baekhyun nodded obediently, even though we were about an hour into the movie. He shifted out his seat, apologising as he shuffled out of the row of people, to get this girl a cola. Not even water. 

"Sorry," Krystal leaned in, her head dipping a little too close to my face, "Taeyeon is just trying to get his attention, even though we're in the middle of a movie."
I turned my head without really pulling away, my lips almost brushing against hers as I told her to not worry, "I'm not the one trying to hold back their coughs."
The girl beside me nodded, her brown hair tousling lightly before she caved in again, close to my cheek, "I heard he was allergic to some perfumes, so I decided not to wear any."

That made me smile, and like her a little bit more. 

We would lean in and make comments throughout the movie, her humour matching mine and platonic intimacy. We were both roped into coming on the double date despite not wanting to date at the moment. She turned slightly in her seat, touching the ends of my hair then studying my roots.

"I'm actually doing a beautician course," she whispered with her fingers still holding the strands, "I can do your roots if you want. Unless you're growing it out."

I was about to ask her how much she'd do it for when a foot wedged in between us. With three black stripes running over the canvas, the foot dropped until a head replaced its spot. 

"I didn't pay fifty-dollars just to hear you two giggle and hoot."

Even though the crowd were laughing at a scene in the movie, Kai's face stayed grim as he stared blankly at Krystal before he reached over the seat and peeled off her hand from my thigh. 

"Are you seriously falling for this ?" Kai barely whispered, his voice dripping venom as he turned his head to me while Krystal's eyes went wider. 

We stared at each other a little longer, my face rid of reaction while his only grew darker. He sat back in his seat as his date slang her leg over his, snuggling into his chest, oblivious to the boy's tense composure. 

I shook my head, hurt by the way he treated me by his words towards my new friend. I wasn't naive to his jealousy or surprised that they were sitting directly behind us. 

Kai was like a ghost that haunted me, unwilling to give in to a reality that included us together yet unwilling to let me go and find it somewhere else. 

I threw my arm over Krystal's seat, rubbing her back but she just shrugged, smiling as she whispered something about understanding the situation, and she was used to clingy exes. 

For the remaining time of the movie, I left my arm behind her even though his foot pushed and kicked it to be off. 


"Oh my goodness, that was so funny!" Taeyeon laughed as we walked out the dark room, her arm around Baekhyun's. 

I listened to Krystal tell me about her studies and how she knew my best friend's potential girlfriend. She was cute, I knew that. With a white top and plaid skirt on and her wavy hair, she attracted attention on our short stroll to the car, but we both knew that was it. I liked her as a friend and she saw me as something of a brother she could dote on. 

But maybe Kai saw more than that.

The boy was irritated, his face carried a scowl and his date was struggling to get his attention when it was obviously on me, staring as I couldn't help but laugh at Krystal's jokes and comments about our "er". 

Baekhyun and Taeyeon decided to break off and finish off the double dates as a lone couple, wanting to "get to know each other". Krystal had work the next morning and so did I, so as Baekhyun's car drove away, we contemplated whether or not to get uber or ride the bus. 

"Hey Krystal," Kai strolled with an unnaturally, "do you and your date need a ride? We're going past the campus."

I wanted to say no, but it was late and it would save time and money to just ride with them. Krystal seemed to have the same thought, giving me a begrudging look as we slid into his backseat, the smell of burnt cigarettes and sweet perfume filling the space between us. 

The engine started and Krystal started chatting with Kai's date, who seemed to be accepting of us interrupting their date. I, on the other hand, stared out the window and watched cars zoom past and behind us, yet I felt Kai's gaze on skin as goosebumps started to show. 

"Are you cold?" I heard him say. 

The girls shook their head, telling him that it was actually too warm. But he kept the heater on even though it was summer and his date kept complaining.

Krystal tried to include me in their conversations, something about maybe doing my hair and the other girl's hair at the same time or the fact that we went to different universities. After a while, the soft sounds of guitar strings lull me to sleep and eventually I couldn't hear Krystal's voice trying to reach to me, only the buzzing of the car with Kai's stare still sticking to me like chewed gum stuck in hair.

I felt a hand on my face, caressing it then dragging a finger down to my neck before a slight shaking of my arms pushed me to open my eyes. 

His face was the first thing I saw. 

Then the lack of our company, the car lonely without the two girls giggling instead his hand still on my skin, rubbing the goosebumps lightly. 

"We're home"
"Where did they go?"
"I dropped them home."
"But why?"

He stared at me a little longer, his expression no longer angry or uneasy, just exhausted as he whispered: "can we just go back to our room, please?"


Don't hate me please. 
just finished exams and finally got a day off from work and I'm trying to be more open to mistakes and less perfection in my works so let's just enjoy this update (and more to come!!) together