p r o l o g u e

The Line That Separates Us

Strings of giggles and hushes slipped past Sehun's headphones, but it was the call of his name that stirred him to turn.

'Can you pass it over?' Kai pointed over the line, 'Her lip gloss rolled over to your side'

Between the two beds that rested by the opposite walls of the room, there was a white line of thick tape that pulled in the centre from the door to the back wall.

The line that served as a mark of territory and safety. The line that represented restraint and silenced urges and so much more.

The boy stood on the other side of Sehun, his shirt clinging desperately to his back and pants beginning to hang low. 

Sehun slowly turned his body to face the other boy and the unfamiliar guest laying on his bed. Stretching his leg slightly to knock over the tube over the lin. In return, it moved slightly but not over to the other side. 

'Sehun,' Kai chuckled, ' it'll be easier if you just hand it to me.'

WIth a sigh that left quietly past Sehun's lips, he grabbed the small vessel and Kai, in turn, reached over with an open palm.

As the boy attempted to drop the lip gloss into Kai's hand, it raised and pulled the tube slowly out of Sehun's fingers while holding the wrist with his other hand; because as soon as they touched, Sehun flinched but couldn't pull away from the grip Kai had on him.

'Thanks.' The undressed boy whispered so the word floated amidst the small space between them. 

Sehun stepped back and tugged his hand away from the grasp, but he still felt the warmth linger on his skin. 

Even when the boy turned away with his headphones, Kai continued to watch him. The fingers he used to hold Sehun were tingling with a strong sensation. 

But the girl behind him, that he forgot the name of, called out to him and slowly, he too stepped away from the line.

He knew that the line was more than just an indication of which side belonged to who; it was his daily reminder of what he couldn't do and who he couldn't have.

 

____________________

I was inspired a while ago by a story I read to write about the line between lust and love, reallty and overthinking, etc. And as it is an inspiration, I will be directing the story to what I think will work for me to express the ideas in my head :)