s i x

The Line That Separates Us

 Saturday rolled by sooner than I hoped for. 

My alarm reminded me that it was 7 a.m and I had an hour to get ready before my first shift at the Ex'Act , the cafe. 

Nothing had changed since that day. Kai still woke up with a different girl from the night before, teasing me when he could or ignoring when it was convenient. I continued to eliminate myself from his equations, even if that meant coming home late or leaving before he was awake, sitting in a different seat. 

I guess we had drawn more than just a physical line.

Baekhyun told me to wear a white shirt and black slacks or jeans, which ever one was comfortable.

 Ex'Act was apparently a chic and minimal environment, neutral colours decorated the area with both living and fake plants scattered around. It always smelled a mix of coffee beans and freshly baked cakes. 

And that was exactly what it Ex'Act was.

As I pushed the door of the cafe, I was surprised by how spacious it was. With about ten tables sitting around, each adorned with bottled brown sugar and a jar of cutlery, wide windows facing the busy streets. It was perfect. 

There were a few people already despite the time. I shifted my weight from one foot to the other, leaning slightly against a wall. I couldn't pinpoint who I needed to speak to, there were two behind the counter and a few inside the kitchen. 

But one person stood out. 

There was a cuteness to him with a fleeting vixenish charm. Eyes that weren't solely childlike but probably got him mistaken for a child way too many times. He held a boyish gaze and despite the slight grin he kept on for the customers, he seemed guarded and observant to everything about him.

Maybe it was my stare but turned his head to my direction, noticing my reserved stance in the bustling room. Wiping his hands on a towel, he stretched his legs to a walk towards me, a smile creeping on his face again. 

"I'm guessing you're Sehun," I nodded, "I'm the manager and the owner, Xiumin."

Wow. He looked so young. And he was probably used to that reaction since his smile grew bigger. 

"I'm probably not as young as you think. I'm 27."
"Ah."

He chuckled, a rehearsed but organic sound that left his lips effortlessly. 

"That's really commendable, to own something despite being in your twenties. And it's pretty successful from what I can see."

He replied with a gentle 'thank you', leading me to the back as he asked me questions while introducing me to the other staff and where everything was. 

I scanned the cafe again, filled with people chattering amongst themselves even though it was an awkward hour. 

"It must be nice," I glanced around the laughing people in the room, "To facilitate for memories and happy moments. I hope that I can contribute something to the world even half of what you're contributing."

When I looked back, he was already staring. Then a small sound fell from his mouth, one of a natural and less rehearsed action, "You will. Trust me."

Baekhyun called in sick to Xiumin and texted me that he was 'getting ready for his Taeyeon-ah'. It was 10 a.m.

Throughout the shift, there were exchanges of stories and skills. 

While he showed me how to set the table and counter work, I told him about my dream of working behind the scenes of great films and stories.
When I cleaned the tables and brought in dishes, he told me about all the places he had travelled and how that inspired that to open something of his own.

"I eventually want to make to build a space for talented young people to perform and practice their creativity."

When the clock dropped to 3 p.m, it was time for me to leave. Xiumin made sure that I left on time and notified me of my upcoming shifts, "Hey, you did well today. See you again!"

Like a father waving his child off to school, he stood at the door till I turned the corner to a different street. 

My phone buzzed but when I checked, I already had multiple texts from Baekhyun about being at his place before 4 p.m, 
'And if you f-cking wear your work clothes to my dorm, I'll make sure to burn you along with them."

When I came to my own room, Kai was sitting on the bed on his side of the line as he slipped on a pair of vans.

"What's with the white shirt and black bottoms?"

I didn't feel the need to answer him so I lunged to my side, undoing my shirt while I looked for a clean pullover.

My hair was a little flat but I didn't have any more wax, so I asked Kai for some of his.

"You hardly use wax, what's the occasion?" He grabbed the bottle anyway, ready to throw it over.
"What's with the questions?"
"You want the wax or not?" 

I sighed, opening my palm for him to aim but he stood up and stepped so close to the line that I thought he was over it. He dropped it in my hand, asking me to 'spill'. 

"Just have a double date." I quickly sweep the product through, trying to make time. 
"Baekhyun?" I nodded, "Who's the chick you're with?"

I really couldn't remember her name, but he thought I was hiding it because I was 'scared he already f-cked her'. Goodness me, what did he take me for? A Mary?

"Anyway, I have my own date." He said, his hands sliding into his pockets.

I reminded him he always had a date. Indoor or outdoor, the boy had a girl hanging over his arm like a branded bag. He continued to ask where I was going or our plans, attempting nonchalance even though the questions didn't stop till I stepped out the door. 

"Make sure to put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign if you prefer me to not."

"Maybe you'll be the one hanging it tonight."

"Maybe."