f i v e

The Line That Separates Us

There was a ring.
A continuous ringing from somewhere in the room. 

"Far out," Baekhyun groaned, holding the O on out, "You either shut that phone up or I'm going to break something in this room!"

He wasn't kidding, I saw a crumpled can of Asahi fly across the space aimlessly.

My head had its own pulse, like a heavy bass that you played at parties, beating hard against its chambers. There was a parching feeling in my throat, dry and rough from a night of sleeping on the floor without a blanket or mattress. This was why I didn't like drinking. Hangovers.

I tried to pull my head up, using my heads to guide my skull while Baekhyun continued to swear, "For f-ck's sake! Don't make me cut you to the rhythm of that ringtone, Oh ty Sehun! I can barely walk to the toilet."

And I didn't doubt it. The boy had his palm over his mouth, waddling his little legs to the restroom. With strong efforts, I crawled to where his phone was, the title 'WORK' flashing across the screen, which I noted back to the him.

"Tell them I'm at my deathbed, stammering out my last will."

He's so dramatic. 

I pressed the green icon and pulled the handset to my ear, "Hello, this is Baekhyun's friend taking his call, who am I speaking to?."

'You sound like my f-cking mistress, Sehun' I heard from the back. 

"Oh, good afternoon," a young man's voice fell through the speakers, "I'm his manager from the workplace. Just checking in to ask if he is able to come in for his shift today?"

I asked Baekhyun, who was crouching over the toilet bowl with splutters of bile, "Sehun, I feel like I just swallowed a gallon of piss and cow manure. What do you f-cking think I'm going to say?"

There was a light chuckle from the other end of the call, "I'll take that as a 'No' then. By the way, are you Sehun? The one planning to join the team?"

He sounded relaxed yet professional; friendly enough for me to be comfortable to reply with a 'yeah, that's me' but formal enough to keep it strictly colleagues. 

The conversation was now directed towards a day I could come in. Maybe Saturday night? Oh no, I already had that 'double date' that I didn't want to go to. Maybe the morning? That sounds good since Baekhyun will be there, too. 

We clicked the call short, promising the coming Saturday morning as my first shift. 

I checked my own phone. A total of 12 missed calls, all from the same person.

"Baek, I'm going to freshen up in my own room," I said, slipping my shoes on while he waved me off, " See you at lunch!"

I walked a little faster than usual, maybe the alcohol was still in my system and something about Kai calling me 12 times made something in me stir. I wanted to see him. Maybe, even talk to him. 

Like, really talk

I tried to turn the knob, but the metal only shifted slightly. 
I knocked, "Kai! I didn't bring my key! Open the door."

The door flung open and instead of a 6' feet tall boy, I saw a petite female with a crown of black, cascading down her . Her initial frown transitioned to a flirty smirk as she stared up at me, leaning against the frame of the door.

"Kai's in the shower," She whispered, attempting to create a closer gap between us, " And you look like you're in need of one. How about we share the bathroom and save some time?"

I politely declined, side stepping her as she shrugged, telling me it was my loss when really, we didn't even pay for the water in the dormitory. 

Even so, I noticed the similarities between the girl and all the previous girls. 
Black hair, fair skin with lips that were slightly pouty.

I wanted to laugh. It was him who taught me to notice all those features about me that he liked. That he couldn't get enough of. 

Seems to me, he has more than enough at his disposal. 

The bathroom door clicked open, a shirtless Kai ruffling his hair with a towel. He looked at me once without a change in his expression and told his friend to go in for the shower. 

Silence followed after. Him acting like I wasn't there; like he hadn't called me 12 times in a period of 5 hours.

"Is that what a 'No , Just ' night means?" I jutted my chin to the bathroom door, recalling what the boys said about having a 'No Girls Night'. 

Kai chuckled darkly, "What can I say, I can't seem to be keeping my promises very well."

I asked him why he called me so many times. 

"Why do you think?" He raised a brow, "I had company and would have preferred to not be disturbed."

I didn't think there was much else to say. Whatever feeling of hope I felt prior to this, vanished into thin air. I turned away, opening my cupboard for a change of clothes that I quickly grabbed. When I started to walk back to the door, Kai asked where I was going.

"I'll take a shower at Baekhyun's."
"You can take a shower here."

I thought about it. The smell of my shampoo already floating in our bathroom, my soap used on a stranger's body and the floor still wet from being used just before.

"Nah," I sang, smiling a little weirdly, "You have company, and I wouldn't want to be of disturbance."

With that, the door stood between us and I walked away once again. I don't know when exactly in that walk I decided that it was time to stop wanting to talk, it was time to just move on.